• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that are impossible to find or absurdly rare?

This is the famously cancelled NBA Elite 11. It was such a piece of shit that it was literally cancelled right before it was released. Somehow a few copies on the Playstation 3 got out. Copies have sold on eBay for over a thousand dollars.

Wasn't it because the game itself was already finished and they shipped out copies?

The greatest arcade game ever conceived. Only 43 US cabinets were made.

AKvWg2j.png

Wait what? 43? I played this game a lot back in 2003. It was a small arcade shop and there were 3 cabinets inside.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
This is the famously cancelled NBA Elite 11. It was such a piece of shit that it was literally cancelled right before it was released. Somehow a few copies on the Playstation 3 got out. Copies have sold on eBay for over a thousand dollars.

Just as a means of refreshing myself, can I get run down of why it was suddenly pulled apart from the infamous "Jesus Christ" glitch?

combine42

Neo Member
Original run of Dragonball GT Final Bout for PS1. Only 10,000 made. Each disc numbered

I have a version of this game. I don't remember it being numbered though. We had to get a chip installed to the playstation so it would play the disc. I'll have to dig that out now lol

I have the PAX East variants for Runner 2 which were limited to 1000 each but you can easily find that on eBay.

I would say this is the hardest thing in my collection to find:

Edit: English Oreshika Tainted Bloodlines LE

Super Street Fighter 2 X Grand Master Challenge for Matching Service was released in Japan for sale only via mail order from Capcom.

Prices are now in the £300 region on eBay.

I had one years ago and sold it like an idiot. :/

Never mind, I bought the arcade board instead a few months ago. At that money, the arcade was a more reasonable proposition imo!

eXistor

I have yet to see Snatcher out in the wilds yet.
I've only seen one on sale in a store, they were asking €400,- to which I said "fuck that".

I have a few Holy Grail games on my list, but Snatcher is pretty high for me.

Hellnight by atlus.
Still regret selling it for 100 euros only.
You can get it on eBay for about €70,- I was lucky that I bought it from someone who was selling old ps1 games and he just wanted €10 for about 30 games, all of which were kinda crappy, except the few that I wanted and Hellnight was also in there. I actually didn't know anything about the game or if it was rare. Pretty fun game too.

eXistor

Fatal Frame 5, for WiiU had a VERY limited edition retail release in Europe.

there are 6 new copies being sold in amazom.de and the cheapest is 145 euros.

The hell? Our store was literally selling these for €20,-. No one wanted them for the original price (and rightly so, this game really isn't any good). The game was super-common and all over the place at the time for months on end. Hell, I think if you look in the smaller toy-stores you could still find it.

Kevtones

Resident Evil 4 GCN demo double sealed. This means 6x demos still bundled and sealed together ON TOP of their own seals. Likely the rarest GCN or Nintendo item in existence. Greatest demo ever too.

Arizato

As a huge Megami Tensei fan I've always tried to get my hands on Giten Megami Tensei: Tokyo Mokushiroku. But it's absolutely impossible to find. I've contacted people I know in Japan and I've watched several auction sites for years. I haven't even seen a single person selling it.

Can anybody explain to me how a game can be released with such a limited print run, like in the single digits? How is it financially feasible to get so few made?

Always wondered this when reading up on rare Neo Geo games before.

Big lol for releases that will cost you $100-300 to get on Ebay today.

Games with less than 10 copies, like Kizuna Encounter. That's the thing. Or that Sega arcade racer with actual model cars driving around. I doubt that monstrosity is even available anywhere today.

As for Neo-Geo games, it was a collectible ever since 2000 or so. Most games were only produced in tiny numbers to sell immediately to collectors. As for Kizuna Encounter EU, it only had 100 copies to begin with and most didn't sell so they were recalled and recycled into JP copies.

Panzer Dragoon Saga. I sold mine to a videogame store some years ago for something like 15 euros...Only to discover some days later my game for re-sell at 200 euros ;-) I didn't know it was THAT rare.

kpaadet

I have a SCN copy of Mr. Gimmick, only came out in Japan and Scandinavia. Fun but very challenging with amazing music.

EctoPrime

Finding the required extra bits for hardware like the 32x pass through cable or the Namco Guncon 3 for Ps3 Sensor bar can be annoying incredibly so if you ask about it and all you get is a puzzled look from the seller.
Never seen a copy of Fire Emblem Fates: special edition outside of digital stores and ebay much like the NES mini.

Ninja Dom

Super Street Fighter 2 X Grand Master Challenge for Matching Service was released in Japan for sale only via mail order from Capcom.

Prices are now in the £300 region on eBay.

I had one years ago and sold it like an idiot. :/

Never mind, I bought the arcade board instead a few months ago. At that money, the arcade was a more reasonable proposition imo!

What is this version then? Online?

Rule of Rose UK.

Pretty sure that game got recalled and very few English copies got out. Feel free to correct me if I'm completely wrong on this. I bought the way more affordable NA version.

Yeah, that is true. I have a copy, but just the disc.

I missed the time for Elminage so wasn't able to snag a copy. Oh well.

I'm usually more fascinated in lower print runs than stuff like Uncharted Fortune Hunter Edition or other competition prizes as they're always going to be difficult to get. But low print runs are interesting because much of the time the consumer won't know!

Edit: The SFIIX on Dreamcast makes me so sad! I'm still interested in getting a copy eventually, but I remember it being £30 or there abouts. By extension, Zero 3 on Saturn is usualy £300 as well. One of these days I'll cop them.

finley83

Banned
Obscure 90s FPS Last Rites was only released in Europe and seemingly sank without a trace. It was already dated when it released but did contain some cool elements, such as controlling a squad of 4 people a bit like Left 4 Dead would do years later.

12443-last-rites-dos-front-cover.jpg

Anyway, the game now appears to be unavailable for sale anywhere - eBay and Amazon turn up nothing, and a Google shopping search doesn't seem to realise it even exists.

I came across it by accident when buying a copy of William Shatner's Tekwar off eBay years back, which came delivered in a shoebox with a load of other weird junk including this particular game. I don't honestly think it's even worth anything as I've never heard it mentioned by anyone since it came out.

Mobygames link is here for anyone interested.

I don't know what I was expecting from this thread but definitely not this! I have a copy of that EU Elminage game and haven't even played through it yet (thanks backlog!)
Would there be some value in me streaming myself playing through it if there are so few in existence?

cj_iwakura

I don't know what I was expecting from this thread but definitely not this! I have a copy of that EU Elminage game and haven't even played through it yet (thanks backlog!)
Would there be some value in me streaming myself playing through it if there are so few in existence?
You can sell it to me! I'll find lots of value in it.

It's my white whale. The US PSN version is very buggy.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I'd like to eventuality find a copy of Afrika for PS3. Of course the better option would be for it to go up on the PS Store so lots of us could play.

bjork

For me, it's been mostly old Commodore games that are hard to find.

I hunted for a good number of years for a copy of Sid Meier's Pirates! on the Commodore 64, but the version with the box that looked like a book, and just a man on the cover, not the full action scene. It was the one I had as a kid, but no one seemed to have it. Finally found one for like $30 or so, and since then I've seen a few more turn up.

I had a game called Death in the Caribbean, and I've seen it on ebay a few times, but rarely complete. (the one that's on there now is $299) Awhile back, a dude had a review copy that had the regular game, but then some alternate or earlier version accompanied by a letter from Micro Fun that said to not review the earlier build. I'm super curious to know what the differences were, but I stopped when it got to $250 and I want to say it went for like $700 or something?

Never encountered a legit copy of Space Taxi and never knew such a thing even existed until the Lazy Game Reviews guy got one, but I have to imagine that's steep if it turns up anywhere for sale.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Just as a means of refreshing myself, can I get run down of why it was suddenly pulled apart from the infamous "Jesus Christ" glitch?

They were completely reinventing the fundamental gameplay systems of NBA Live, which is part of the reason for the name change. They wanted to finally get a leg up on 2K, but the end result was just... bad. Really bad. They know their reboot was going to get shat on, so they cancelled it.

I hate to post this because someday i want to own one and i really don't want people looking for these, but:

Mortal Kombat 3 Playstation Jewel Case version is possibly the rarest playstation 1 game by variant, and possibly the rarest commercially released game by a major publisher.

337B4148-EB66-FAE3-D189CCED28C61C1F.png

Propeller Arena was set for release on Sept. 19, 2001 before it was cancelled due to Sept. 11 sensitivity about games where you can crash planes into skyscrapers. Eight days. They had to have had complete packaged copies made, right? I wonder if they were all destroyed.

Today at the flea market I saw two NES rarities sitting on a table, Little Sampson and Flintstones: Surprise at Dinosaur Peak. Yeah, they were repos, but my eyes got big for a second. I saw a real Little Sampson once in the wild more than 10 years ago but passed up the opportunity to buy it. I bought Metroid instead. I've never seen the Flintstones game.

There's a shop in town that had Little Samson show up recently. They were selling it for $1200. I was soooo tempted to just say fuck it and put it on a credit card. Luckily, they sold it before I could make that decision.

I hate to post this because someday i want to own one and i really don't want people looking for these, but:

Mortal Kombat 3 Playstation Jewel Case version is possibly the rarest playstation 1 game by variant, and possibly the rarest commercially released game by a major publisher.

337B4148-EB66-FAE3-D189CCED28C61C1F.png

That's crazy! Was it a long-box game or something?

Dicing Knight for Wonderswan. I've only ever seen one come up on eBay for $400 buy it now. It sold in less than a week. I've never seen another.

My holy grail is Playstation Underground disc 5.1. I've had an auto search running on eBay for years and I've never ever seen one come up. I have all the other discs in the set except for that one. I've come to the point where I don't think it was released at all, maybe just planned and canceled before it ever came out? It definitely didn't go out to subscribers. I'm thinking if it ever existed it was only given out at E3 or some other trade show.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
When I say rare, I don't mean 'expensive' like most Saturn games(namely Panzer Dragoon Saga), or Suikoden II or a boxed Earthbound. You can find those if you want to pay for it.
for what it's worth, Panzer Dragoon Saga US is indeed rare. It's known that fewer than 20,000 copies were produced and estimated that the real number is indeed closer to 10,000. Taking into account game rental shops and most not knowing the real value of the game post-life until a few years later (you could still get it under $150 in the late 90s), it's expected that there are considerably fewer than 5,000 complete copies in existence.

A complete copy today routinely goes for $700+ and the last new copy I saw years back was almost $2000.

It blows me away that Sega never bothered to remaster it. Bringing out a port today would probably see sales of 100K just out of curiousity alone.

Yello

Neo Member
The Japan-only Gran turismo HD install disc is pretty rare. The game was released for free through the Ps store in all regions, but was removed after GT5 prologue came out.
GT_HD_Concept.PNG

There were also a few GT demos featuring specific models that were distributed through car dealerships. They're pretty much impossible to find nowadays.

bjork

for what it's worth, Panzer Dragoon Saga US is indeed rare. It's known that fewer than 20,000 copies were produced and estimated that the real number is indeed closer to 10,000. Taking into account game rental shops and most not knowing the real value of the game post-life until a few years later (you could still get it under $150 in the late 90s), it's expected that there are considerably fewer than 5,000 complete copies in existence.

A complete copy today routinely goes for $700+ and the last new copy I saw years back was almost $2000.

It blows me away that Sega never bothered to remaster it. Bringing out a port today would probably see sales of 100K just out of curiousity alone.

Supposedly the source code went missing, but then it was said that the folks over at gametap had somehow acquired it and were going to put it on the service, but I've never heard more of the story following that. Like, okay, gametap died, but did they just delete the source code again? If someone found it and didn't back it up multiple times, they just monumentally blew it.

F-Zero AX Monster Ride

I've played on the ones that move left and right as you steer, but this one moves the entire machine as you go along the course.
This machine is called a Cycraft and is pretty common, actually. I've never seen one installed with F-Zero, but I've seen plenty with Initial D v3 installed.

Also, Ninja Baseball Batman is incredibly rare. Most of the boards out there are bootleg and legit iRem boards (US version) are virtually never seen for sale. I've played on a bootleg and it runs the same as an original, for the most part. I think there's some audio missing on bootlegs.

Peltz

019-1.jpg

A legit copy of Metal Slug 1 for AES. It basically doesn't exist anymore. Especially the American version. Good luck trying to find it.

Top Bottom