• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that are impossible to find or absurdly rare?

PSFan

I have the PAX East variants for Runner 2 which were limited to 1000 each but you can easily find that on eBay.

I would say this is the hardest thing in my collection to find:

Is that game in the pic Runner 2? I can't read Japanese so I can't tell.

There's a shop in town that had Little Samson show up recently. They were selling it for $1200. I was soooo tempted to just say fuck it and put it on a credit card. Luckily, they sold it before I could make that decision.

That's crazy! Was it a long-box game or something?

yeah it was a long box release and that one is very common. It was released in April of 1995.

One of the last longbox releases - Triple Play 97 - Was released in June of 1996, so doing a jewel case reissue of a year old fighting game that had UMK3 in the arcade, and MK Trilogy coming in October 1996, it probably didn't make much sense to reissue jewel case copies of MK3.

I really wonder how many are out there. It's not a rarity that sticks out because you would just assume its another common PS1 game in a pile of jewel cases.

Ya'll have no idea what I would give to have a physical copy of this.
81utonjQj6L._AC_SX430_.jpg

cj_iwakura

It's pretty unfortunate that the game had so many issues and controversy. It's actually a pretty cool title, especially if you like the early Silent Hill games.

I had a copy and sold it as soon as I finished it. It's one of the worst games I've ever played. Good story, god-awful gameplay.

xevis

Banned
PAL versions of Chrono Trigger DS seem to be pretty rare.

With the DS being region free is there any reason to differentiate between NA and PAL releases? AFAIK the PAL version just has a nicer front cover and comes in a very ugly and very undesirable box format.

I had a copy and sold it as soon as I finished it. It's one of the worst games I've ever played. Good story, god-awful gameplay.

The story is all in the intro movie and last 15% of the game so the pacing kills it. It's just not worth playing and I love horror games.

Ya'll have no idea what I would give to have a physical copy of this.

The NA version was Amazon exclusive and they apparently ran out of stock in December, so there probably wasn't a massive print run. That said, the main reason it spiked in price a few months ago was a combination of that and scalpers trying to cash in on GR2. The prices have died down a bit since then, and regardless the PAL and Asian English versions are plentiful and cheap. With the PS4 being region-free they're all basically the same thing.

Adahn

Warhammer 40,000: Glory In Death for the N-Gage.

I don't even own an N-Gage, I never have. But at one point, before the mobile explosion, I got within touching distance of having played every video game from a Games Workshop license, and this was one of the ones I needed. I've always kept an eye out for it, and have never seen it. I even had a loan hardware unit sorted for if I ever sourced it.

I think it got an absurdly limited release in North America only (I'm UK based)? Who knows, the search continues.

Clov

Does anyone have an estimate on the number of LSD Dream Emulator copies out there.

20170412163640.jpg

The person who made this also made another game that falls into this category even more; a PC game called Chu-Teng. I think a single copy of it surfaced a few years ago.

There's a surreal PC horror title called "Garage: Bad Dream Adventure" that's also stupidly difficult to find. I think it might have been found, there might be some videos of it out there. Strange and unsettling for sure.

I posted these images quite a while ago:

Yes, that is a photo of my hand.

This is Sonic Adventure: Limited Edition, which was a pre-release version of Sonic Adventure that was available to rent at BlockBuster and Hollywood Video. Apparently it is pretty rare. I bought this one for the sticker price back in 2000, I had no idea there was anything special about this version when purchased it. It was in a previously played bin in a Hollywood Video for $20.

The person who made this also made another game that falls into this category even more; a PC game called Chu-Teng. I think a single copy of it surfaced a few years ago.

There's a surreal PC horror title called "Garage: Bad Dream Adventure" that's also stupidly difficult to find. I think it might have been found, there might be some videos of it out there. Strange and unsettling for sure.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on those. I really like tracking down old bizarre horror games, although those sound pretty unobtainable.

I dunno, maybe I enjoyed it more because I went into it with the pretence of it being a 1/10 game, but I thought it was worth the experience. It's been years though, I'm not sure what I'd think of it now.
I remember the atmosphere and soundtrack being pretty killer at times.

MC Safety

I have a copy of Kakuto Chojin. I don't imagine it's particularly rare, but it was pulled because of insensitivity.

And I had a copy of the odious The Guy Game, which was also pulled but for an entirely different reason. I got rid of that the second after I completed its review.

N4Us

post-52-0-84380800-1447650721.jpg

Birthday Mania on Atari. Sold through newspapers, you could get carts with custom names on them.

According to the pgroammer, he only sold about ten copies and made a couple more for friends. It's so rare that a ROM dump hasn't even been made yet.

Also the PC version of Plumbers Don't Wear Ties might be really rare. Nobody was able to find a copy of it until just last month, where it was found at an old university library.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKTqmjzgD4k

I have this! Not with the original case sadly. Though my copy is one of the few that saves to VMU (most copies of LE don't)

The 1990 Nintendo World Championships carts. Especially the ones plated gold.

They're worth around at least $5,000, and not all of them are accounted for...

Funny thing is another previously unaccounted grey NWC popped up a few weeks back.

jay

I've had an eBay alert for a GameCube shinto shrine walking simulator active for about 6 years and it has never shown up for sale.

The numbered limited edition of Diamond Trust of London (DS) only had 1000 units made if I remember right.

Pretty sure I have that. Didn't you just need to back it at a certain amount? Maybe I have an unnumbered cart.

sibarraz

Banned
Can anybody explain to me how a game can be released with such a limited print run, like in the single digits? How is it financially feasible to get so few made?

Always wondered this when reading up on rare Neo Geo games before.

This is not the real reason, but I always assumed that in the Neo Geo Aes games, SNK never saw them as the primary source to break even the development costs of their games, but rather, as an extra income sold to their hardcore fans.

And is pretty common that SNK reused unsold cartridges into new games, even last month in the release of fatal fury battle archives volume 2, Yasuyuki Oda said on the Playstation Blog that SNK reused all the unsold Fatal Fury 3 unsold cartridges into Real Bout Fatal Fury

I think it's the Chinese+English version of Aquanaut's Holiday for PS3 that is pretty damn rare (Japan version is easily common), or it could be the Korean+English version I'm thinking of.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I think this wins.

Zeddas / Horror Tour 3 Labryinthe has never actually appeared in the wild besides an Amazon JP listing with the box art and no listings. Never been ripped. Apparently has been sold a handful of times on eBay in the mid 00s.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/horrortour/horrortour.htm

There is a third game in the Horror Tour series, Labyrinthe, but appears only on Amazon Japan, having long been out of stock. No ISOs or any other information about it has ever been uncovered. To all intents and purposes Labyrinthe is completely lost, and begs the question as to whether it was released at all.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0090UMM52/

YTer who plays weird shit Saint has apparently been trying to track it down for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjmFgRDJe0Y

Hardvlade

I posted these images quite a while ago:

Yes, that is a photo of my hand.

This is Sonic Adventure: Limited Edition, which was a pre-release version of Sonic Adventure that was available to rent at BlockBuster and Hollywood Video. Apparently it is pretty rare. I bought this one for the sticker price back in 2000, I had no idea there was anything special about this version when purchased it. It was in a previously played bin in a Hollywood Video for $20.

Got one of those too! (SA LE) No case though :(

Also, El Chavo Kart for the Xbox 360 is quite rare. It's a obscure Mario Kart clone (which happens to be pretty good), the game was available digitally for a really short time on the Xbox market place. Amazon has 2 copies but they are from 3rd party resellers and overpriced. eBay has none, never saw it out in the wild.

Mask

The last release for PC Engine CD is pretty rare and hard to find now, Dead of the Brain 1 & 2.

Last copy I remember seeing on eBay was about a few hundred bucks or more, doesn't seem to show up often though, and I'd think it would go for way more tbh considering it's rarity.

I have this! Not with the original case sadly. Though my copy is one of the few that saves to VMU (most copies of LE don't)

The version I have saves to VMU as well, I purchased it in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada when I was living there.

Spladam

I've been having a hard time tracking down a boxed copy of Sierra Online's "Hero's Quest", before it was changed to "Quest of Glory" (I always hated that title). I've had very little luck even trying to figure out how many copies there are left. This is one of the first situations where modern Google has failed me.
Quest_For_Glory_1_Heros_Quest_A_Front.jpg

coughlanio

Rarest game I own is Jiasu Earth Liberation Army for Game Boy, a pretty killer shmup.

It's relatively unknown, so copies sell for very reasonable figures on eBay, but it's *really* hard to find at a decent price unless you get lucky, and don't get ripped off by a fake. Fully boxed copies go anywhere from $900 to $2000.

As a huge Megami Tensei fan I've always tried to get my hands on Giten Megami Tensei: Tokyo Mokushiroku. But it's absolutely impossible to find. I've contacted people I know in Japan and I've watched several auction sites for years. I haven't even seen a single person selling it.

I nabbed a copy of the Windows version on eBay a while back for $100. Just got super lucky with both the timing and the price. Prior, I had only seen one other copy on the site, and I believe it went for about $350~.

Yahoo Auctions Japan seems to have listings for both it and the (more common?) PC98 version from time to time. Haven't checked in a while, but it tends to be pretty expensive complete.

Drain You

I love reading about super rare games and systems like this, but I feel like there's a lot of posts here of games that aren't thatttt rare. Bayo 1 WiiU, Killer7 etc.

Arizato

I nabbed a copy of the Windows version on eBay a while back for $100. Just got super lucky with both the timing and the price. Prior, I had only seen one other copy on the site, and I believe it went for about $350~.

Yahoo Auctions Japan seems to have listings for both it and the (more common?) PC98 version from time to time. Haven't checked in a while, but it tends to be pretty expensive complete.

What the actual hell? Was it complete in packaging and everything?

Brhoom

Banned
Sorry to bump this but I didn't want to make a new thread just to post a couple of games.

The first one is Rule of Rose UK edition.

Why is the UK edition rare? It was cancelled on LAUNCH DAY!!!

notice the UK flag on the bottom-left

71YatyJ4yJL._SL1024_.jpg

The other game is Enemy Zero, well, the special edition, which 20 copies were made and delivered by the game director himself.

e02-375x500.jpg

Good luck finding those.

Impotaku

Togepi-no-Daibouken-1377831105-26058.jpg

Togepi no daibouken for the pokemon mini is stupdly rare, took me several years of searching on Yahoo auctions Japan to find a copy back in the day. One of the last pokemon mini games released and only available from the pokemon centres in Japan, it had a pretty small print run.

It rarely ever shows up on yahoo auctions nowdays, it appears from time to time on ebay where the same 2 sellers try to flog their copies. Cheapest one been £777 the other been over a grand.

-shadow-

Sorry to bump this but I didn't want to make a new thread just to post a couple of games.

The first one is Rule of Rose UK edition.

Why is the UK edition rare? It was cancelled on LAUNCH DAY!!!

notice the UK flag on the bottom-left

71YatyJ4yJL._SL1024_.jpg
Well that would explain the ridiculous prices this goes for partially...

Top Bottom