• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that are impossible to find or absurdly rare?

Supposedly the source code went missing, but then it was said that the folks over at gametap had somehow acquired it and were going to put it on the service, but I've never heard more of the story following that. Like, okay, gametap died, but did they just delete the source code again? If someone found it and didn't back it up multiple times, they just monumentally blew it.
Gametap also had 32x games on their service which are never re-released. It'd be an easy way to sell Chaotix anyway.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
4jugYhY.jpg
EDCfXXH.jpg

OP, fyi Elminage Original PSP lasted around 24 hours (!) on the Ghostlight website before it sold out back in 2013.

Probably been a while since a copy last popped up on eBay, but it usually doesn't fetch "astronomical prices" either. In the first years after it was released, there were copies available on eBay regularly.

But you are right: it's very rare. Not even all Ghostlight staffers have copies of it afaik.

Aselith

Sorry to bump this but I didn't want to make a new thread just to post a couple of games.

The first one is Rule of Rose UK edition.

Why is the UK edition rare? It was cancelled on LAUNCH DAY!!!

notice the UK flag on the bottom-left

71YatyJ4yJL._SL1024_.jpg

The other game is Enemy Zero, well, the special edition, which 20 copies were made and delivered by the game director himself.

e02-375x500.jpg

Good luck finding those.

Did that come with a green dildo? Wtf is that

Fatal Frame 5, for WiiU had a VERY limited edition retail release in Europe.

there are 6 new copies being sold in amazom.de and the cheapest is 145 euros.

Yeah, I don't think so. It was in the bargain bins over here for months at €30 a piece.
Unless my country (Belgium) got all the copies, I doubt it was VERY limited.

mingo

OP, fyi Elminage Original PSP lasted around 24 hours (!) on the Ghostlight website before it sold out back in 2013.

Probably been a while since a copy last popped up on eBay, but it usually doesn't fetch "astronomical prices" either. In the first years after it was released, there were copies available on eBay regularly.

But you are right: it's very rare. Not even all Ghostlight staffers have copies of it afaik.

It was going for around £200 ish a few months after it came out. Just had a look on eBay and there is 2 copies on sale for €999 and €1499. Doubt they will sell at that price but still....

GLAMr

The DiskDrive stuff is quite difficult to find.
Maaaannn, my friends and I were sooooo hyped for the DD, and we were so crushed that it didn't eventuate here. Looking back though, I think they dodged a bullet. The last thing they needed to do was fragment their user base (like the MegaDrive).

It was going for around £200 ish a few months after it came out. Just had a look on eBay and there is 2 copies on sale for €999 and €1499. Doubt they will sell at that price but still....

If you check this thread that was made at launch, it sold for much lower amounts than £200 in the first 2 months. And I remember there being copies available for way under £200 about a year after as well.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658449&page=2

As for the 2 copies up for sale right now: anyone can ask a crazy amount like that. It's pretty obvious, and we agree on that, those aren't going to sell at that price for the moment.

Given its rarity, that release could get sort of a "legendary" status in the future though, and become very valuable in the future. But I'd give it at least a couple more years before we could potentially get to that point.

hipgnosis

Dark Souls Prepare to Die edition steelbook for the PS3 is pretty hard to find. It was a retail exclusive and limited to 3000.

cj_iwakura

Links? I don't see them. Someone emailed me saying they had a copy, but they wanted more than I could afford. :/

Man that thread makes me sad. Why didn't I just buy it when I had the chance.

Magical Chase...yeah it's a magical chase alright. You rarely ever see the North American release on ebay even. Complete probably goes for at least $2500 to $5000 or more depending on the buyer.

big_z

Not my picture but I have one these in like new condition. According to NDA you agreed to send it back after testing. I kept mine because square forgot the return postage. It currently has little value as collecting from that era and final fantasy in general has yet to become a thing. As far as I can tell having looked on my own and collector websites it's extremely rare.

c3GPvl.jpg

BTA

Oh, huh. Guess I'm one of those people with a numbered Diamond Trust of London edition; didn't click how rare bag was for some reason.

Airola

For me, it's been mostly old Commodore games that are hard to find.

I hunted for a good number of years for a copy of Sid Meier's Pirates! on the Commodore 64, but the version with the box that looked like a book, and just a man on the cover, not the full action scene. It was the one I had as a kid, but no one seemed to have it. Finally found one for like $30 or so, and since then I've seen a few more turn up.

I had a game called Death in the Caribbean, and I've seen it on ebay a few times, but rarely complete. (the one that's on there now is $299) Awhile back, a dude had a review copy that had the regular game, but then some alternate or earlier version accompanied by a letter from Micro Fun that said to not review the earlier build. I'm super curious to know what the differences were, but I stopped when it got to $250 and I want to say it went for like $700 or something?

Never encountered a legit copy of Space Taxi and never knew such a thing even existed until the Lazy Game Reviews guy got one, but I have to imagine that's steep if it turns up anywhere for sale.

Yeah, a copy of Gauntlet III for C64 is one of the holy grails for C64 collectors.
That one never ended up on the shelves, but there are some pre-release copies complete with box and instructions circulating among the collectors.

A copy of C64 Chuck Rock is also a tough thing for collectors to get.

CronoShot

Not much of a collector myself, but the rarest game I personally own is the Drakengard 3 Collector's Edition.

87688f43bd7c149d901250c7a322e169.jpg

Apparently 5000 were made.

Fatal Frame 5, for WiiU had a VERY limited edition retail release in Europe.

there are 6 new copies being sold in amazom.de and the cheapest is 145 euros.

I have this one :)

Local toy store is selling one sealed for 40 euro's.... Maybe I should pick it up.

Game Gear has it's share of rare games:

Sonic Blast PAL CIB Game Gear

s-l225.jpg

Power Drive PAL CIB Game Gear (only 10? copies are known)

$_35.JPG

Surf Ninjas PAL CIB Game Gear (only 1 is known for now, maybe a display copy?)

image1_724.jpeg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
This is the famously cancelled NBA Elite 11. It was such a piece of shit that it was literally cancelled right before it was released. Somehow a few copies on the Playstation 3 got out. Copies have sold on eBay for over a thousand dollars.

I saw even the Gamestop preorder box go for like $300 recently.

Skulldead

There probably a lot of very rare game, that are just not valuable because, we don't know how rare they are.

Mansion of the Hidden Souls On Saturn and Sega-CD. We don't freaking know how much copy it was made ? this can be a freaking rare title. But the game is really cheap to find on ebay,

My pick would be Evolution the English pal version on Neogeo Pocket color. I saw it like twice on ebay listing only the cart for a insane price.

Do the Rockman EXE mobile phone games count? They were only available on obscure mobile phones in Japan in 2005 or so and sold digitally, so it's basically impossible to find. Surely the rarest game in the series.

koopas

There probably a lot of very rare game, that are just not valuable because, we don't know how rare they are.

Mansion of the Hidden Souls On Saturn and Sega-CD. We don't freaking know how much copy it was made ? this can be a freaking rare title. But the game is really cheap to find on ebay,

My pick would be Evolution the English pal version on Neogeo Pocket color. I saw it like twice on ebay listing only the cart for a insane price.
I get what you mean though some games are so rare they become desirable simply due to rarity.

crpav

Not my picture but I have one these in like new condition. According to NDA you agreed to send it back after testing. I kept mine because square forgot the return postage. It currently has little value as collecting from that era and final fantasy in general has yet to become a thing. As far as I can tell having looked on my own and collector websites it's extremely rare.

c3GPvl.jpg

Wait really? I received mine from buying an Alienware computer way back and don't recall anything being said about having to send back.

Drain You

I've always wondered how many of the three different versions of Aquanauts Holiday for Ps3 were made. I know the regular release isn't that rare, but the other release with English is apparently a bit more rare.

c3GPvl.jpg

I have a copy of the Windows beta as well.

Velinos

c3GPvl.jpg

As do I. For something so rare, it seems like a lot of us have one.

c3GPvl.jpg

Strange my roommates and I each received a copy and never a request to send it back.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Does anyone care about demo discs, especially for consoles? Those strike me as some of the neatest ephemera around the 1995-2005 era.

They were essential to my time on the PS1, less so on PS2. But even the GameCube had a neato Rogue Leader demo disk with a Star Wars: The Arcade Game bonus on it. Also, I feel like there were games which only saw the light of day through demo disks on the PS1. Maybe I'm wrong.

Not that they're immensely rare, but they strike me as a niche where you could go wild looking for collectible bits. After all, I bet most demo disks were just thrown away...

Drain You

Does anyone care about demo discs, especially for consoles? Those strike me as some of the neatest ephemera around the 1995-2005 era.

They were essential to my time on the PS1, less so on PS2. But even the GameCube had a neato Rogue Leader demo disk with a Star Wars: The Arcade Game bonus on it. Also, I feel like there were games which only saw the light of day through demo disks on the PS1. Maybe I'm wrong.

Not that they're immensely rare, but they strike me as a niche where you could go wild looking for collectible bits. After all, I bet most demo disks were just thrown away...

I loved those demo discs. I still remember playing a game on an OXM Disc that I loved. It was a horror shooter of types, don't remember if it was first or third person but I really liked it. I remember the enemies having blade for legs or something, I should try and figure out what game that was.

Also Bounty Arms and Titan A.E. both had demos on PSX but never released.

Thrill Kill for PSX was also finished but never released, can't remember if had a demo or not but the full game is out there.

aasoncott

Not a game, but a fantastic piece of marketing:

DVD.PNG

A DVD copy of the Halo 2 radio drama (yes, I said Halo 2 radio drama, and it was fantastic). Only given out to people who followed the ARG and attended an event held at a handful of theatres across the US.

Honestly, it's the thing that really got me into Halo. I followed the ARG religiously and took part in a forum dedicated to cracking the puzzles. Another person on the forum graciously grabbed one for me when they attended the final event and mailed it to me here in Canada.

I went on to work on 5 games in the Halo series

Zero copies of it on eBay or Amazon at the moment.

Drain You

Not a game, but a fantastic piece of marketing:

DVD.PNG

A DVD copy of the Halo 2 radio drama (yes, I said Halo 2 radio drama, and it was fantastic). Only given out to people who followed the ARG and attended an event held at a handful of theatres across the US.

Honestly, it's the thing that really got me into Halo. I followed the ARG religiously and took part in a forum dedicated to cracking the puzzles. Another person on the forum graciously grabbed one for me when they attended the final event and mailed it to me here in Canada.

I went on to work on 5 games in the Halo series

Zero copies of it on eBay or Amazon at the moment.

Is this available to watch anywhere? I did a quick google search and couldn't find it, figured it could probably be answered much more quickly here. I missed the boat a bit as far as Halo goes, at the time I still couldn't wrap my head around twin sticks, but I do remember hearing about the ARG and I Love Bees during my time on Teamxbox.com (RIP)

jvm

Gamasutra.
I loved those demo discs. I still remember playing a game on an OXM Disc that I loved. It was a horror shooter of types, don't remember if it was first or third person but I really liked it. I remember the enemies having blade for legs or something, I should try and figure out what game that was.

Also Bounty Arms and Titan A.E. both had demos on PSX but never released.

Thrill Kill for PSX was also finished but never released, can't remember if had a demo or not but the full game is out there.
I have Titan A.E. demo disc.

Never heard of Bounty Arms, though. Will look it up. Thanks!

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Couple of very limited Dreamcast games:

Golem no Maigo (The Lost Golem) - apparently less than 500 copies sold (no word on how many exist). There are a few copies on eBay - it's not cheap but it's also not super desirable as it's just a simple Sokoban clone. Still kind of cute though.

Net De Tennis - a very limited budget release of the Tennis game from Capcom Sports Club, intended for online play. Rarely comes up on eBay. Again, it doesn't get a lot of attention as it gets overshadowed by Virtua Tennis, but it's still a fun game with nice artwork.

Top Bottom