• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that are MUCH better on PC

All fighting games are better on pc. Mainly due to the 1ms response time.
Good point on the response time.

But also, question: I've largely stopped playing fighting games myself, but when I watch gameplay videos, I see that sometimes console versions can have a lot of loading between matches. (Immediately thinking Tekken 7 here, but might be misremembering.)

Is this something that's improved on PC, with a SATA/NVMe Solid State Drive, for example?

Like what? All MTF and RE engine games run better on pc from the jump.
If you think denuvo and worse settings than the original release plus worse performance on things like re2 are good, you may be a fanboy.

I have nothing to prove or argue, I have a high end PC. You want to pretend every PC release is great, be my guest.

Gojiira

Disappointed that its ‘graphics’ of all things that made you drop F4 OP.
MODS make Fallout and pretty much every Bethesda game superior on PC, not the graphics which at this point are laughably meh anyway.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Good point on the response time.

But also, question: I've largely stopped playing fighting games myself, but when I watch gameplay videos, I see that sometimes console versions can have a lot of loading between matches. (Immediately thinking Tekken 7 here, but might be misremembering.)

Is this something that's improved on PC, with a SATA/NVMe Solid State Drive, for example?
Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't currently own a PS5, but I would imagine it's SSD loads matches pretty fast. The main thing is the input lag that is just naturally longer on a TV. I wonder myself if you had a PS5 but hooked it up to a 1ms response time monitor...does it make a difference. Good question.

I don't mention Xbox because I just don't play fighting games on Xbox. The controller, while great, is not the best for fighting games. They just can't get the D-Pad right.

If you think denuvo and worse settings than the original release plus worse performance on things like re2 are good, you may be a fanboy.

I have nothing to prove or argue, I have a high end PC. You want to pretend every PC release is great, be my guest.
RE2remake still ran at 120fps on pc and also looked better, so it looked and ran better than any console release from day 1. There seems to be a TAA bug on the RT update for it, but the game still runs the same as the console versions, which can also drop even below 30 fps in RT mode.

One could argue that the RT implementation, engine-wide, could use optimisation, but it's not a "bad pc version thing", it's the same on all systems.

Hugare

Deus Ex 1

Unfortunately, the PS2 port is shitty.
I would soooo LOVE a remaster/remake on current gen!

CDF17D85137331625EE99E0157AA79491D028208
And that would be such easy money, 'cause design wise, the game is more than up to date

All that it really needs is some facelift

Hopefully now in different hands the franchise can breathe again.

Human Revolution port for current gen is one of my most antecipated announcements. Love that game.

Since a lot of ground has already been covered, I'll take the retro perspective.

A lot of popular retro games, when played on RetroArch, have Xbox/Steam/PS-style Achievements. So if you're into that, that's a way in which PC is superior.

If you own the games and original hardware, you potentially need either a CRT, or upscaling hardware to make the game decently presentable on a modern TV set. On PC, you need just... the PC. The amount of visual options (scanlines, shaders, etc) for pixel games is staggering. So many options.

Of course, there's the case of some retro/classic games, like the first 3 classic Resident Evils, having PC versions that with mods are orders of magnitude superior to any console version ever produced. Even console versions, like the GameCube versions of Resident Evil 2 and 3, have mods on the Dolphin emulator that for example do AI high def upscaling, and the results are pretty decent.

3D games of 5th and 6th gen (the PS1 and PS2 generations) look absolutely fantastic on PC. Not to mention that if you, for example, hate a particular controller (whether it's the DualShock 2 or the GameCube controller or the horrible Dreamcast controller), you can play with any controller you want. I booted the Dreamcast version of Soulcalibur on an emulator and permanently put away my physical Dreamcast copy, as I'll likely never play it on Dreamcast again. At 1440p native on my monitor, this 1999 game looks absolutely PHENOMENAL.

The possibilities on PC are almost endless.
Great point

Didnt know about the achievements on Retroarch. That's amazing.

I'm thinking on playing FF IX again using Moguri MOD with AI upscaled backgrounds. Looks great.

Neff

Final Fantasy XIII and Castlevania Lords of Shadow are much better in 60fps, so if I fancy a blast on those I'll dust off the Steam bookmark. Being able to patch the B'z song back into Dragon's Dogma is cool too.

Generally though, I'm happier playing most games on console.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Trails in the Sky games.

If you're not playing them on PC, you're playing them on either the PSP or the Vita. If you're not playing the 3rd entry in the series on PC, you're playing it in Japanese. Speaking of Japanese, they re-released the games on the PS Vita but only in Japan.

On PC not only can you play the entire series in English, you can (if you'd like) mod in the Japanese voices from the Vita re-releases. In my opinion, the most superior way of playing these three games.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Why don’t we do the reverse since it’s more rare? 360 era call of duty was better on the 360 than PC.
How those sub 720p games with limited to 60fps with drops, pathetic FoV, higher input lag and gunplay on dual stick controller with pathetic semi auto-aim and paid online were better???

Last edited:
Better question would be any games that are better on console?

(not that I can think of any).
I think sometimes games can be so badly optimized for PC, on release, that some people consider the console versions better. I know that Batman: Arkham Knight had an initially horrible PC release and people said the console version was better. I didn't play it then, but by the time I got around to playing it on PC, it was fixed enough that it was better than the console versions.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
lol. Few people do that but most, may be 99% use monitor and a desktop instead.

I'm using both. I have a 65'' OLED in my living room and 42'' OLED on my office desk. I prefer to game on my desk as the TV is right in my face and it just feels more immersive but there's no problem connecting HDMI cable to living room TV if I want that sofa experience.

How do you know how many people do that? If it's possible, it's possible. That's the beauty of gaming on a PC.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Here we go again. Consoles are cheaper. Yes, you cracked the case Sherlock. We're on an enthusiast gaming forum. In this thread we're discussing the best, not the cheapest.
Just putting your statements in context when you compare the 2.

Your Ferrari will go faster than my pinto. Your car cost $700,000 to my $700 shit box. The analogy is sound.

clarky

Gold Member
I think sometimes games can be so badly optimized for PC, on release, that some people consider the console versions better. I know that Batman: Arkham Knight had an initially horrible PC release and people said the console version was better. I didn't play it then, but by the time I got around to playing it on PC, it was fixed enough that it was better than the console versions.
Yeah Batman sucked balls, think Forza Horizon 3(?) was fucking horrific on release as well, but thankfully days of really shit PC ports (seem) to be behind us. Although Elden Ring runs like crap on my rig, was tempted to get it on PS5 as well but fuck double dipping because of that reason.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Just putting your statements in context when you compare the 2.

Your Ferrari will go faster than my pinto. Your car cost $700,000 to my $700 shit box. The analogy is sound.

epic-facepalm.gif

Yeah Batman sucked balls, think Forza Horizon 3(?) was fucking horrific on release as well

I never had any problems with it. It's probably my most played PC game, ever. It's one of 5 games that I have permanently pinned to my task bar. 4.5 out of 5 stars on PC XBOX app so I guess it works for other people too.

Neo_game

I'm using both. I have a 65'' OLED in my living room and 42'' OLED on my office desk. I prefer to game on my desk as the TV is right in my face and it just feels more immersive but there's no problem connecting HDMI cable to living room TV if I want that sofa experience.

How do you know how many people do that? If it's possible, it's possible. That's the beauty of gaming on a PC.

lol the number of people that do that is irrelevant for those who do that.

lol I never said you can't do it. There could also be small % of console gamers who use monitor instead. I am talking in general terms people you console with a TV and PC with monitor. Not sure why some are getting triggered by it.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
lol I never said you can't do it. There could also be small % of console gamers who use monitor instead. I am talking in general terms people you console with a TV and PC with monitor. Not sure why some are getting triggered by it.

The difference is: with PC you can use 1080p, 1440p or 4k screen of any size and it will just work. You can also use any controller. DualSense, DualShock, Switch Pro, Xbox Elite… you get the idea. Try doing that on a console. Good luck.

You won't be disappointed. It's hard to believe this game came out like almost a decade ago.

Check this out:

Damn, is that really Watch Dogs? He's not wearing his iconic hat.

Playing Vanquish with gyro aim with a steam config. Was such a blast to play. Unlocked God Hard mode yesterday so I'll try that.

One of my favorite games of all time, but unless you're going for an achievement, God Hard kinda sucks imo. It turns Vanquish from a fast, unique, amazing game into just another stop 'n pop cover shooter. You can't really do any of the fun sliding, vaulting, time dilating tricks without getting instantly killed. The little combat scenario mode (I forget what its called) is amazing though. Perfectly ramped difficulty, with the last one being a real fun challenge.

lol. Few people do that but most, may be 99% use monitor and a desktop instead.

Wow I guess I'm part of the elite 1%

Hugare

Guys, this thread wasnt made to discuss if PC gaming is better than consoles

I'm aware that 99% of games run better on PC for obvious reasons. Thats not what I intended here.

My intention was to find games that have huge differences in terms of graphical features (RT GI, for example) or exclusive gameplay features and etc (like moding DQ XI soundtrack) that makes these versions the definitive ones.

I know that for many 60 FPS + 4K and all that can be transformative, but thats not what I meant

Last edited:
Guys, this thread wasnt made to discuss if PC gaming is better than consoles

I'm aware that 99% of games run better on PC for obvious reasons. Thats not what I intended here.

My intention was to find games that have huge differences in terms of graphical features (RT GI, for example) or exclusive gameplay features and etc (like moding DQ XI soundtrack) that makes these versions the definitive ones.

I know that for many 60 FPS + 4K and all that can be transformative, but thats not what I meant
Yeah seriously, I think the thread was going really well but then some people came in to shit on the thread with their combative attitude and now it's derailed a bit.

Anyway, back on topic: there are simple things that PC does better that I find very useful. Going back to the retro thing... Every time I want to share screenshots of a game I'm playing with this forum, when I play on original hardware it's a pain in the ass (since I don't have a capture card, nor do I need one). On a PC, I literally press one button and, boom, screenshot taken.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
epic-facepalm.gif

I never had any problems with it. It's probably my most played PC game, ever. It's one of 5 games that I have permanently pinned to my task bar. 4.5 out of 5 stars on PC XBOX app so I guess it works for other people too.
Talking about on launch fella, to the guy i was responding to. Probably runs fine now, I never went back to check. Still in the back log.

RoyBatty

Banned
Most of the games are better on PC (performance, mods, options, regional prices, stores, sales, better graphics). But if I have to choose one I prefer Assetto Corsa, it's a totally different game with the mods, the creator of CSP is a god.

ExIBXXn.png

Top Bottom