• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that are MUCH better on PC

A lot. Bad PC ports became relatively rare last gen, not to say they don't still happen.

But some series specifically you can count on being extra special on PC Witcher, metro, crysis etc. Cryengine games in general like kingdom come.

Like on the Xbox 360 generation, yeah you could play crysis or metro 2033 on the console but it was waaaaay worse lol.

Last edited:
Yep. PC being better is the rule, its more fun to think of the exceptions. CoD4 actually had a competitive scene on PC but MW2 was clearly suited for 360.
It's crazy because Infinity Ward was never the same since they backstab PC gamers with that shitty ass Modern Warfare 2. Shame because COD 2 and COD 4 were really great games on the PC followed by a very passionate online community. RIP 64 player servers..

Ev1L AuRoN

Usually PC is always better, the problem is, in my opinion is the goddam DirectX12, that Api gave us the magnificent shader compilation stutter, can't wrap my head around this issue, but a lot of games that have directx12 have this problem, UE4 games being the worst offender in this category.
I dunno, Vulkan games perform so much better, it has to be something wrong with DX12.

Banned
A lot. Bad PC ports became relatively rare last gen, not to say they don't still happen.

But some series specifically you can count on being extra special on PC Witcher, metro, crysis etc. Cryengine games in general like kingdom come.

Like on the Xbox 360 generation, yeah you could play crysis or metro 2033 on the console but it was waaaaay worse lol.

hardware issues are now mostly over tho.
the real issue these days is that Developers make really stupid ass choices for the console versions.
games like Deathloop are just way better on PC.

and that's mainly a developer issue not a hardware or port issue. it's incompetence.
the reason why Deathloop is so much worse on console actually takes more work to do it badly than if they did it correctly, which is why I can say confidentiality that it's 100% an incompetence issue, not a hardware issue, not a time issue, not a budget issue....simply incompetence.

back when bad PC ports were a thing that was usually a budget issue, with outsourcing small teams to hastely port shit over.

incompetent developers... that's an issue I find way sadder.
or like how Capcom found it acceptable to just run every graphics mode of the new RE versions at the same resolution while clearly not hitting their performance targets... it's just like, WHY? lower the damn resolution!

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

I kind of disagree with Final Fantasy XV being better, that game is a disaster on PC, crashing, stuttering city, terrible frame pacing etc.
What? Wtf...is this coming from someone that has experienced that? Not at all...FF xv on PC is amazing, you just need the hardware for it...it requieres a decent PC to run well, even df were impressed by it. I had 0 issues.

Banned
What? Wtf...is this coming from someone that has experienced that? Not at all...FF xv on PC is amazing, you just need the hardware for it...it requieres a decent PC to run well, even df were impressed by it. I had 0 issues.

I also played it a lot on PC and had no issues 🤷 I absolutely don't like the game but that wasn't a tech issue.

the Microsoft Store version even has full cross-progression with Xbox

Last edited:
hardware issues are now mostly over tho.
the real issue these days is that Developers make really stupid ass choices for the console versions.
games like Deathloop are just way better on PC.

and that's mainly a developer issue not a hardware or port issue. it's incompetence.
the reason why Deathloop is so much worse on console actually takes more work to do it badly than if they did it correctly, which is why I can say confidentiality that it's 100% an incompetence issue, not a hardware issue, not a time issue, not a budget issue....simply incompetence.

back when bad PC ports were a thing that was usually a budget issue, with outsourcing small teams to hastely port shit over.

incompetent developers... that's an issue I find way sadder.
or like how Capcom found it acceptable to just run every graphics mode of the new RE versions at the same resolution while clearly not hitting their performance targets... it's just like, WHY? lower the damn resolution!
Resident evil 8 as well, had (has?) some super version of denuvo that sucked performance.

Capcom needs to do better on their PC ports.

Last edited:

Banned
Resident evil 8 as well, had (has?) some super version of denuvo that sucked performance.

Capcom needs to do better on their PC ports.

yeah they have to do better on both sides. like I said, running the 120fps mode at the same resolution and settings as the 60fps mode is fucking lunacy.
same with the RT mode... like wtf?

yeah they have to do better on both sides. like I said, running the 120fps mode at the same resolution and settings as the 60fps mode is fucking lunacy.
same with the RT mode... like wtf?
I'm super disappointed in that rt mode.

What is even the point of it runs worse than PS4 pro? Hopefully they can patch it.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Made me buy the game on Steam right now.

Looks amazing for such an "old" game

Make sure to buy the second one as well. It has ton of PC exclusive features. That SF fog is something else... I don't think it was ever duplicated in any game. It's amazing.

8d2RR6x.png

Banned
Make sure to buy the second one as well. It has ton of PC exclusive features. That SF fog is something else... I don't think it was ever duplicated in any game. It's amazing.

8d2RR6x.png

god damn... now I want to replay these.

Ubisoft gave both away a while ago, meaning I have both on PC... sitting there... waiting...

A recent one for me is definitely RDR2. It’s so much more fun and satisfying to play on PC. Mouse and keyboard controls take away the frustration in aiming at enemies and make it fun.

This being said though, I generally prefer playing games on PC unless the port is bad.

ClosBSAS

Ubisoft gave both away a while ago, meaning I have both on PC... sitting there... waiting...
Ya if ur a graphics whore like me yes..they do the part. As a game, 2 sucks imo. 1 is the best fo them all

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Hugely underrated games. Open world in WD2 is seriously impressive. It feels even more alive than even Los Santos in GTA V.

Dark and atmospheric world of WD1 is a breath of fresh air in 2022. Serious tone and story is really hard to get these days.

I recommend both.

Edit: plus original soundtrack in both games is seriously amazing

Last edited:

Banned
Ya if ur a graphics whore like me yes..they do the part. As a game, 2 sucks imo. 1 is the best fo them all

2 is way better... it has way more freedom in terms of how you tackle missions and it has generally more variety.

I liked the atmosphere better in 1 but that's about it.
I like both tho

Buggy Loop

Any games that has unlocked framerates, FOV slider, huge interval of resolutions including ultrawide, motherfucking anisotropic filtering which I found even new consoles have poor implementations of it even though I’ve been on 16x for like 15 years?

Not much to ask

GymWolf

Gold Member
Hugely underrated games. Open world in WD2 is seriously impressive. It feels even more alive than even Los Santos in GTA V.

Dark and atmospheric world of WD1 is a breath of fresh air in 2022. Serious tone and story is really hard to get these days.

I recommend both.

Edit: plus original soundtrack in both games is seriously amazing

Interactions and animations are inferior to gta5 because of the lack of euphoria, npcs in wd2 lack physicality, for lack of better words, all the animations are precanned and always the same, they do many things but they still feel fake.

The best would be a mix between rdr2/gta5 tech and wd2 npcs social mechanics.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Interactions and animations are inferior to gta5 because of the lack of euphoria, npcs in wd2 lack physicality, for lack of better words, all the animations are precanned and always the same, they do many things but they still feel fake.

The best would be a mix between rdr2/gta5 tech and wd2 npcs social mechanics.

Yeah, I’ve meant social intersections and systematic gameplay. But also the city in general is more impressive IMO.

A.Romero

Nier Automata

Bayonetta (Late port)

Wonderful 101 (Late port). I'm not really good but have heard that pro players prefer the stick over the touchscreen for the special attacks

Battlefield series in general

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah, I’ve meant social intersections and systematic gameplay. But also the city in general is more impressive IMO.
What do you mean with "the city"?

I always wanted to give the game a second chance, but combat and story\charas were so fucking dreadfull that i was out like 2-3 hours in, but i really want to try all the social mechanic stuff that i missed or only watched on yt.

(It was free with the epic store)

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
What do you mean with "the city"?

I always wanted to give the game a second chance, but combat and story\charas were so fucking dreadfull that i was out like 2 hours in, but i really want to try all the social mechanic stuff that i missed.

(It was free with the epic store)

I think it's the most believable video game city. You can just stop and watch the world go by and the simulation is really impressive. I'm a sucker for these kind of things. There's entire GDC talk on YouTube (a very good one) about how they handled crowd AI. The number of unique interactions that NPC can have is nuts.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think it's the most believable video game city. You can just stop and watch the world go by and the simulation is really impressive. I'm a sucker for these kind of things. There's entire GDC talk on YouTube (a very good one) about how they handled crowd AI. The number of unique interactions that NPC can have is nuts.
I onestly doubt that it can be better than rdr2, but i'm open to change idea.

I already said that, but the animations lacking weight and npcs lacking the euphoria interactions are a big deal to me, just seeing a caravan lightly touching an npc and make him lose his stability or any physical interaction really give the game great immersion.

Last edited:

Jennings

Grim Dawn, a third-person isometric ARPG.

The game is a 5/5 on PC but the console port is abysmal, locked at 30fps, and the text is microscopic.

Last edited:

ScHlAuChi

All those games had a higher resolution on PC, so they were clearly much better than the lowres console versions!!!111

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hey GAF

Short story: Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games of all time, so I was obviously very much hyped when Fallout 4 was announced

Bought the game for my PS4 when it launched and when I booted it up, I almost barfed. It looked hideous.

Shadows being generated 2 meters in front of the player? Ridiculous. Ruined the experience for me.

Now I've bought the game on the Steam Summer Sale, and god damn it looks so much better on PC that it almost feels like it's from another generation

I mean, look at this comparison from Digital Foundry:

kgsdsqV.png

RO6f1vA.png

So I was wondering: what other games are much better experiences (graphically) on PC ?

Final Fantasy XV is also another candidate, I think. The Nvidia Gameworks stuff looks excellent.
Does this question have a point? What other answer aside "from every fucking game" would you expect?!

Last edited:

Hugare

Damn, this fog looks amazing.

Watched some videos tho, and havent seen much of it in action during gameplay. Console versions of Watch_Dogs 2 look very comparable.

Great contribution, thanks

Does this question have a point? What other answer aside "from every fucking game" would you expect?!

Read some responses here and you'll figure it out

Not talking about resolution/textures/framerate. I'm talking about exclusive features (such as RT or mods) not present on some console games.

Cyberpunk, Control, games with Nvidia Gameworks and etc.

Understand it now?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Console versions of Watch_Dogs 2 look very comparable.

Maybe with YouTube compression. I played WD2 on PS5 recently (which received PS4 Pro patch) and it's abysmal when compared to the PC version. Framerate jump from 30 FPS to 60+ is good enough of a reason to play it on PC but then you have all these other additions like 4k textures, 4k resolution, better GI and shadows, car lights at night casting shadows, that freaking fog, higher FOV... It all adds up to a much better experience. I think it's worth it. You can get the game for dirt cheap, play it natively is and see the difference for yourself.

CitizenZ

Banned
This discussion has been dormie since? 2002ish, somewhere in that ballpark. But go ahead and talk amongst yourselves.

Since a lot of ground has already been covered, I'll take the retro perspective.

A lot of popular retro games, when played on RetroArch, have Xbox/Steam/PS-style Achievements. So if you're into that, that's a way in which PC is superior.

If you own the games and original hardware, you potentially need either a CRT, or upscaling hardware to make the game decently presentable on a modern TV set. On PC, you need just... the PC. The amount of visual options (scanlines, shaders, etc) for pixel games is staggering. So many options.

Of course, there's the case of some retro/classic games, like the first 3 classic Resident Evils, having PC versions that with mods are orders of magnitude superior to any console version ever produced. Even console versions, like the GameCube versions of Resident Evil 2 and 3, have mods on the Dolphin emulator that for example do AI high def upscaling, and the results are pretty decent.

3D games of 5th and 6th gen (the PS1 and PS2 generations) look absolutely fantastic on PC. Not to mention that if you, for example, hate a particular controller (whether it's the DualShock 2 or the GameCube controller or the horrible Dreamcast controller), you can play with any controller you want. I booted the Dreamcast version of Soulcalibur on an emulator and permanently put away my physical Dreamcast copy, as I'll likely never play it on Dreamcast again. At 1440p native on my monitor, this 1999 game looks absolutely PHENOMENAL.

The possibilities on PC are almost endless.

Top Bottom