• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that made you ask, "How did they do that?"

Eblo

I had been replaying the first Soul Reaver game when I got to one of these moments:

gyIbWsY.gif

And it made me think of times when games did something so technologically impressive that I had no clue how it could be done. I have to give my props to the people behind the Soul Reaver games for creating a feature whose implementation that I can only hypothesize about. When shifting between planes, the level geometry seamlessly and organically moves to accomodate new architecture. Not to mention the textures sometimes warp as well to give that twisted aesthetic. I'm always left wondering exactly how they managed to pull this off. Are there two level geometries loaded at once with only one being utilized at a time? And if so, how does that transition work? Or perhaps there's only one level where the movement data of the architecture and alternate textures are stored.

FMrpkio.gif
roU3N9H.gif

I can only guess at the possibilities without getting an explanation from the developers themselves. Keep in mind that all this magical twisting was initially done on primitive PlayStation One hardware, not that it becomes any easier to understand on more advanced hardware.

w4tR5B5.gif

I've also had the pleasure of giving Super Mario Galaxy 2 another chance and was similarly blown away by its dynamic gravity usage. No doubt that platformers and other games experimented with messing with gravity before, but I've never seen it done so seamlessly as it is in the Super Mario Galaxy games.

g3xj0Kw.gif

It's not limited to two dimensions, either. The gravity can dynamically change depending on which surface Mario is closest to and in what position. Rather than forcing the player through waypoints that change the gravity, the gravity smoothly changes little by little as Mario walks along a surface, or it can change if Mario gets far away from one surface and close enough to another. Not only does this look cool, but it adds tons of depth to platforming comparable to when Super Mario 64's groundbreaking use of three dimensions.

9MwPkKD.gif

There's also this cool moment where an entire floor bends up to become a wall, only to serve as a floor again once Mario adjusts to the change in gravity. I have absolutely no clue how the gradual gravity change could be done without constant checks, and that would surely cause performance to take a hit. Yet somehow the game stands out at a solid framerate with realistically ever-changing gravity.

DrKelpo

Banned
I always get that feeling when looking at games from the beginning of a console generation and from the end.

Like Resistance 1 and Last of Us running on the same hardware.

The question "how did they do it" is obviously easily answered here. The dev teams basically learn how to get more out of the hardware over time, but it's impressive nonetheless.

Damn I forgot how cool Soul Reaver looked. Yeah that was some magic all right.

Submitted for approval:

sNZmLGj.gif

heathersunset.png

Running on PS2 hardware.

pantsmith

The Uncharted games do a lot of neat technical tricks, but easily the most impressive was how the entire shipyard level in Uncharted 3 bobbed and swayed like a living, breathing set. Still incredible they pulled it off.

2779583-7085726932-25672.gif

rhandino

Banned
Xenoblade X being so seamless when you jump into your skell in the city and then fly to the north while passing 2 massive areas and a string of little islands.

The thing is that I am pretty sure that even the dev team did not expect to pull that one off because NLA is surrounded by a big wall that could serve to accommodate a loading screen while some of the continents seems to be connected by hallways that could have been used to mask loading in case they needed it.

RowdyReverb

Does Xbox One backward compatibility count? People were laughed out of threads for hoping for that feature in 2014 and now we not only got BC, but it gives improved load times and frame rates

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Fire animations in Rogue Squadron for the Gamecube. It's still some of the best fire effects I've seen in a game.

One of the joys of that game was watching TIE fighters go down in flames, breaking apart as they go.

Actually hell, most of the things they did in the Rogue Squadron games looked way better than they should have.

Lawnmower man on the snes had these random enemies that look like predator when invisible,
I mean how? ( I couldn't find a video or and image btw)

Thats Mario Bros this days?

jesus christ almighty.

Where have you been? The Mario Galaxy games are simply mindblowing! They're absolute masterpieces in every respect. Level designers from any other company (maybe except Naughty Dog) would probably break down in tears trying to recreate most of the levels in those games and have them work so flawlessly.

Timeaisis

Man, that Soul Reaver stuff is some crazy shit. You know some programmer spent like a month on that. Holy fuck that's just insane.

Bullet time in Max Payne. The Matrix had blown people away with that only a couple years earlier, and all of a sudden it's something you can control in real time? It was crazy. And then Max Payne 2 had that sniper rifle "follow the bullet" effect. And destructible environments that reacted differently to gun fire. I remember going into bullet time and shooting a bunch of tiles off the wall in the subway and wondering how they managed to do that.

Apathy

As a person that can't code and is terrible at math, pretty much 99% of games make me think that. The people involved making games and what they do is just nuts

Mad respect to all game coders

ChaosXVI

The first game that comes to mind for me is Metroid Prime. For a game to look that good in 2002 was already mindblowing, but to have it run at 60 fps with absolute consistency still rocks me today. Watching the Digital Foundry video on this recently made me relive the "wow" that I had back in the day when I first saw it.

ghibli99

Metal Gear Solid 2, back in 2001.

Insanely improved graphics from its predecessor, 60fps.
This is exactly what I was thinking clicking on this thread. The rain effects all sorts of blew me away, and when I read about how they did it, I was even more impressed with the simple straightforwardness of it all.

MGS1 was also crazy with the motion blur, which I think was the first time I'd seen such an effect on console.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
giphy.gif

That's a 3D model. Utter sorcery.
As an animator, this is not that difficult to do at all actually once you have the right assets and camera angle. Helps that it's incredibly limited with it's movement. They use a lot of toon rigs for games like that, (ones specifically made for squash and stretch style animation) that are able to contort very easily, on top of just presumably loading in a completely new arm model specifically for that move and when you use the right perspective and the right poses you get a lot of good shots on top of the cellshading then you get animation like that. The timelapses in QB are incredibly well done, all that lighting data, effects, and assets loading and switching rapidly in realtime without any hits to performance is some magic type shit they even included weather:
quantum_break_tod_weather_change_by_digi_matrix-d9y1rmk.gif

Also still trying to find post mortems on how they did the facial animation in Mafia III, because wtf, because in a game this year.

Metal Gear Solid 2 of course (some of the effects, like underwater bubbles are still Incredible)

But also Mafia 1 car deformation. It's like the Gta 5 one but 15 years earlier.

I had been replaying the first Soul Reaver game when I got to one of these moments:

gyIbWsY.gif

And it made me think of times when games did something so technologically impressive that I had no clue how it could be done. I have to give my props to the people behind the Soul Reaver games for creating a feature whose implementation that I can only hypothesize about. When shifting between planes, the level geometry seamlessly and organically moves to accomodate new architecture. Not to mention the textures sometimes warp as well to give that twisted aesthetic. I'm always left wondering exactly how they managed to pull this off. Are there two level geometries loaded at once with only one being utilized at a time? And if so, how does that transition work? Or perhaps there's only one level where the movement data of the architecture and alternate textures are stored.

FMrpkio.gif
roU3N9H.gif

I can only guess at the possibilities without getting an explanation from the developers themselves. Keep in mind that all this magical twisting was initially done on primitive PlayStation One hardware, not that it becomes any easier to understand on more advanced hardware.
Amy Hennig discusses this in the podcast Designer Notes. I really recommend listening to both podcasts, enlightening.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes/episodes/amy-hennig

It's done by simply interpolating the vertex positions and colours between two values. It's a really great effect.

Peltz

Everything in Super Mario 64. It was so fully realized on totally then-unproven controls and graphics technology.

The game still feels so good to play with how fluidly Mario moves.

For me it's usually something that plays around with perspective, like when the 2D plane flips to 3D in Super Paper Mario or puzzle games like Echochrome.

The Uncharted games do a lot of neat technical tricks, but easily the most impressive was how the entire shipyard level in Uncharted 3 bobbed and swayed like a living, breathing set. Still incredible they pulled it off.

Yup, they are fucking insane. They simulated an ocean lol.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Metal Gear Solid 2. *THAT* trailer. You all know what I'm talking about. I could not believe it was in-engine stuff.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

getting sea sick just by looking at it :D

Top Bottom