• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that made you ask, "How did they do that?"

Inside's
human blob
tech.

I'm shocked, shocked that only one person has said this so far.

I did not like the majority of Inside. I thought it was simplistic and a bit too far up its own ass. Meanwhile, I loved Limbo, for what it's worth. But during this scene, I was simply stunned that such a thing was possible (being a programmer myself, though not of video games.) I ended up
moving it around from ledge to ledge, place to place, from different angles to somehow break whatever physics system they had created (and it really does seem to be a physics system, it's too goddamned perfect to be animations,) maybe get an arm grapping in an awkward way or something
and it always worked out *perfectly*. Up until that point, I thought I had thrown away $20. That alone was worth it.

God of War 3 intro. Still incredible to this day. I remember hearing they spend like a year on that.

I would also include the GoW3 Kronos battle. Fighting smaller enemies on a character the size of a mountain is one thing, actually fighting the mountain itself is something different entirely.

Eblo

The Uncharted games do a lot of neat technical tricks, but easily the most impressive was how the entire shipyard level in Uncharted 3 bobbed and swayed like a living, breathing set. Still incredible they pulled it off.

2779583-7085726932-25672.gif

This is another good one, and I remember being impressed by Uncharted 4's use of water mechanics in an early segment. I believe it involved traversing boats as they passed over and got turned by storm waves.

How well does Soul Reaver hold up?

Worth a go on PS3/Vita?

I replayed the three Soul Reaver games recently, and while Soul Reaver 1 has noticeably aged more than the others, I found myself enjoying it the most. Absolutely worth a go once you get past the outdated stuff.

Amy Hennig discusses this in the podcast Designer Notes. I really recommend listening to both podcasts, enlightening.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes/episodes/amy-hennig

It's done by simply interpolating the vertex positions and colours between two values. It's a really great effect.

Wow, I will be sure to listen to this when I get the chance. Thanks for this.

laxu

The timelapses in QB are incredibly well done, all that lighting data, effects, and assets loading and switching rapidly in realtime without any hits to performance is some magic type shit they even included weather:
quantum_break_tod_weather_change_by_digi_matrix-d9y1rmk.gif

This is pretty easy to do if you got both a day/night cycle and weather conditions programmed in. All you need to do is rapidly change between them. You can do this in GTA V for example with a trainer that allows changing time of day, weather or game clock speed from a menu.

For me the Uncharted 3 boat levels were incredible because things moved around with physics and this was with PS3 hardware. It amazes me that full levels moving and tilting is not used in games much at all despite the hardware being more than capable of handling it. I really want to see more physics effects in todays games.

Dervius

I was genuinely impressed with the blade mode tech in MGR Revengenace.

There was that trailer with the melon but using it gameplay and seeing every little piece of your enemies was pretty ace.

Raptor

That's Mario Bros six years ago.

Just imagine what it will look like on Switch.

Where have you been? The Mario Galaxy games are simply mindblowing! They're absolute masterpieces in every respect. Level designers from any other company (maybe except Naughty Dog) would probably break down in tears trying to recreate most of the levels in those games and have them work so flawlessly.

Holy shit, I need to get back to Nintendo.

nkarafo

I always thought that creating a graphics asset and behavior for each and every word in existence for Scribblenauts was insane. I still can't believe they even attempted such thing.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I had been replaying the first Soul Reaver game when I got to one of these moments:

And it made me think of times when games did something so technologically impressive that I had no clue how it could be done. I have to give my props to the people behind the Soul Reaver games for creating a feature whose implementation that I can only hypothesize about. When shifting between planes, the level geometry seamlessly and organically moves to accomodate new architecture. Not to mention the textures sometimes warp as well to give that twisted aesthetic. I'm always left wondering exactly how they managed to pull this off. Are there two level geometries loaded at once with only one being utilized at a time? And if so, how does that transition work? Or perhaps there's only one level where the movement data of the architecture and alternate textures are stored.

I can only guess at the possibilities without getting an explanation from the developers themselves. Keep in mind that all this magical twisting was initially done on primitive PlayStation One hardware, not that it becomes any easier to understand on more advanced hardware.

I've also had the pleasure of giving Super Mario Galaxy 2 another chance and was similarly blown away by its dynamic gravity usage. No doubt that platformers and other games experimented with messing with gravity before, but I've never seen it done so seamlessly as it is in the Super Mario Galaxy games.

It's not limited to two dimensions, either. The gravity can dynamically change depending on which surface Mario is closest to and in what position. Rather than forcing the player through waypoints that change the gravity, the gravity smoothly changes little by little as Mario walks along a surface, or it can change if Mario gets far away from one surface and close enough to another. Not only does this look cool, but it adds tons of depth to platforming comparable to when Super Mario 64's groundbreaking use of three dimensions.

There's also this cool moment where an entire floor bends up to become a wall, only to serve as a floor again once Mario adjusts to the change in gravity. I have absolutely no clue how the gradual gravity change could be done without constant checks, and that would surely cause performance to take a hit. Yet somehow the game stands out at a solid framerate with realistically ever-changing gravity.

What they did was they duplicated all the level mesh into a new mesh, then moved the vertexes on the new mesh to where they wanted everything to end up after transformation.

Then they coded it so every vertex on the original mesh moved to the location of it's twin in the new mesh when the player invoked the change.

It worked pretty well, and was surprisingly less computationally complex than it seems visually.

This is pretty easy to do if you got both a day/night cycle and weather conditions programmed in. All you need to do is rapidly change between them. You can do this in GTA V for example with a trainer that allows changing time of day, weather or game clock speed from a menu.
It's not only the time/weather that changes but a lot of assets around the character, like other characters, objects, etc, popping in and out very fast without performance hits. Maybe that gif isn't the best since none of that is shown but yea, it's uncommon and slightly impressive (hmm, spoilers?).

I was genuinely impressed with the blade mode tech in MGR Revengenace.

There was that trailer with the melon but using it gameplay and seeing every little piece of your enemies was pretty ace.

I'd go for the original Red Faction on ps2/pc. You could cause explosions to destroy arbitrary chunks of scenery including digging tunnels from one area to another, but the most impressive part was that any part of the scenery that became isolated from its surroundings would become a free falling object. I'm still not sure how they did that.

JP

EVERYTHING about Final Fantasy VII made me ask this exact question.

I just couldn't my head around watching a video play with me walking around and carry on playing in the video. I can't remember where it was but there was a cable car when you approached The Golden Saucer which did this and I was so amazed that I would just ride the cable car, get of, get back on again, ride the cable car, get off, get back on again, etc, etc.

latest

THIS MAKES NO DAMN SENSE!!!!! (YouTube)

There was so much about this game that jut made no sense to me at the time, it was doing things that just didn't seem possible.

Dervius

I'd go for the original Red Faction on ps2/pc. You could cause explosions to destroy arbitrary chunks of scenery including digging tunnels from one area to another, but the most impressive part was that any part of the scenery that became isolated from its surroundings would become a free falling object. I'm still not sure how they did that.

On the back of that, Red Faction Guerilla did some pretty outstanding destruction stuff. As a big open world game you had some great options incorporating destruction.

It's follow up, while a lesser game overall, had some seriously impressive tech again. It had minigames centred around destruction that were legit

Ambient80

Does Xbox One backward compatibility count? People were laughed out of threads for hoping for that feature in 2014 and now we not only got BC, but it gives improved load times and frame rates

Absolutely. That was such a shocking announcement. They did some impressive engineering to make that happen.

bman94

I say this constantly when playing levels on Super Mario Maker. Seriously, some of those level creators needs to design their own games.

Sushi Nao

I really think everyone should take some coding courses - not saying games aren't insanely complicated and precariously balanced processes, but a LOT of the things that seem incomprehensibly complex aren't really based on anything too huge.

Norse

Every game makes me think how they did it. Just the fact people sat down and started typing code and it becomes this imagined world of things always impressed me.

13ruce

Banned
Metal Gear Solid 2 (the first MGS game i played)
Playing that after GTA 3 when i was a kid, yeah pretty mindblowing in all ways.

CAR105 3

Well OP you already provided the Soul Reaver level geometry change. But I'll add even more to your eclxample, when you shift planes NPC's, objects stay frozen in place until you switched back.

I love having the shift at will cheat. And just messing with enemies shifring back and forth.

OK, what the fuck? I clicked on the thread intending to post Soul Reaver. So it's not just me that thinks it's sheer PSX witchcraft, huh?
(for me the part of Soul Reaver that made my jaw drop was the moment you climb back up the abyss and see the same gorgeous pit of waterfalls you saw in the CG intro).

Dryk

There's a lot of bizarre but obvious shit in Antichamber. This room stands out to me as the most impressive. The four sides of the cube each contain a diorama the size of the cube and moving around them is seamless
antichamber76.jpg

The variety of quests, outcomes, and endings in New Vegas. It still amazes me that even despite being buggy at launch, Obsidian managed to do those things in 18 months of development.

Tigel

The collapsing building in Uncharted 2 is the first one that comes to mind. These days, we kind of take those big set pieces for granted because a lot of games do them, but back then, it absolutely blew my mind.

uncharted-2-falling-o.gif

Rare games in the late 90s and early 2000s use to shock me with what they were able to do with N64 tech. I know they usually ran at rough frame rates but Conkers bad fur day had so much dialouge, the graphics were good for N64, and had good size singleplayer with a bunch of multiplayer options too.

friz898

Ok here's a weird one guys.

N64 Goldeneye actually being fun.

So like this was during the huge explosion with computer FPS games.

I had just started mastering keyboard and mouse and 180 spins, perfect strafing etc. And I saw this game and I'm like "haha, that's comical, like this will be fun for longer than a minute"

I mean hell, You could "screen-watch" it had radar (until later code came out to turn off), and it was joystick controls!

But damnit it was fun!

The Uncharted games do a lot of neat technical tricks, but easily the most impressive was how the entire shipyard level in Uncharted 3 bobbed and swayed like a living, breathing set. Still incredible they pulled it off.

2779583-7085726932-25672.gif

There's a talk out there where they explained this. They built a fluid dynamics simulation that is pretty crazy.

EarthBound Beginnings has an insanely huge overworld with fast traversal options that don't involve loading screens. This is the same generation that had Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda. Blows my mind every time.

martino

Yes op
Trying the playstation magasine soul reaver demo knowing nothing of the game is one of my biggest wow gaming moment.

Wikzo

Balancing in multiplayer games with a lot of different characters/maps/etc. Playing Overwatch at the moment. Being a programmer myself, I am amazed at how a game with so many different combinations works so well. So many underlying and unique system talking together.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Serious Sam. Those levels where the gravity is completely crazy. You'd walk around a ledge and be upside down. Or on the top of a tube shaped level. It was amazing. It was Mario Galaxy before Galaxy was even an idea.

Thats Mario Bros this days?

jesus christ almighty.
You should see Super Mario 3D World on Wii U. The visuals are even more amazing than Galaxy. Wait until we get a 3D Mario on the Switch that pushes the visual fidelity there again. Galaxy on the Wii was as best you could get and that was just 480p.

Vex_

Banned
San Andreas.

So much... everything. Back in the days, this was quite the technological achievement.

More recently, Pokemon moon and sun. Holy crap the 3ds (og) still has some life left in it.

Top Bottom