• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that made you ask, "How did they do that?"

Wikzo

giphy.gif

Lagamorph

Xenoblade on the Wii.

How? How do you make the Wii do that?!
Good god, if Monolith Soft ever decided "Hey, we should make a PC exclusive game"....

fitzo

Neo Member
Dragon's Lair. Played it in an arcade and I just couldn't understand how they could make a game look that good.

Same generation graphical leaps always get me. Like Halo Reach's AR model having more polygons than a marine holding an AR in Halo 3. :p Or hell, even cross-generational leaps, like a tunnel in the background of a cutscene in Reach, which you barely see/pay attention to, having more geometry than the entirety of Halo CE, lol. I fully understand it all, but it always gets me anyway.

Oh, and Smash Bros. Wii U running at a full 60fps at 1080p, even with 8 players on intense stages with crazy items.

Xenoblade on the Wii.

How? How do you make the Wii do that?!
Good god, if Monolith Soft ever decided "Hey, we should make a PC exclusive game"....

Just to be clear, you're aware that Monolith Soft is a wholly-own, first party subsidiary of Nintendo, right? I only asked because it seems a very large number of people still aren't, despite this being the case since 2007 or so.

I would also include the GoW3 Kronos battle. Fighting smaller enemies on a character the size of a mountain is one thing, actually fighting the mountain itself is something different entirely.

I mentioned that one specifically because I remember them saying it was basically that hardest part of the game.

Akronis

Star Citizen converted a small FPS engine that could handle a dozen city blocks or so, into a unified, seamless, continuous expanse of several million cubic kilometers of space that has multiple physical grids (ranging from spaceships to planets).

And they built it all so far in a year.

Cs39K3i.gif

How did they do it? Time. Money. Germans.

They poached a HUGE portion of the Crytek people that made the CryEngine so that helped immensely.

BTails

The opening of Dead Space 2 is still impressive, with the transformation from human to Necromorph up close, well lit, in-engine with no cutaways. I remember being floored when I saw that.

Alyx Vance's facial animation at the beginning of Half-Life 2 in 2004.

The Gravity Gun in Half-Life 2 in 2004.

Mind just completely in pleasure that the game had that kind of stuff. I mean, I had seen the marketing vids from the pre-leak build and knew it was coming, but when it was actually running on my PC at home, I was just absolutely enthralled.

Also relevant: Xbox Live matchmaking in Halo 2 in 2004. It wasn't perfect and sucks by today's standards, but it was the first time I remember using a system like that over a server browser. May have not been to everyone's liking to give up the ability to browse and choose their server, but the convenience of just basically pressing Go and waiting for it to pull a match together was pretty crazy, especially for a game I LOVED to play multiplayer in.

abracadaver

The transforming bosses in the later Resident Evil games always amazed me. There are these human sized enemies and suddenly they become huge monsters. Must be so hard to model and animate.

Assassin's Creed, especially Unity and Syndicate, absolutely floor me with the sheer amount of high-quality world geometry and assets. The color palette and lighting are especially jaw dropping considering the scale that they built. Even crazier than prior to today these games were being churned out at a yearly pace.

harz-marz

For me it has to be Wave Race 64. The water effects still look incredible and I have no idea how they managed this on the N64.

tumblr_n9zudexoum1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

I know, shame what it turned out to be, but it's still one of the most impressive games in recent years!
pse-nms.gif

The Uncharted games do a lot of neat technical tricks, but easily the most impressive was how the entire shipyard level in Uncharted 3 bobbed and swayed like a living, breathing set. Still incredible they pulled it off.

2779583-7085726932-25672.gif

I remember them saying that in the ship level in UC3, the ship actually was in a simulated ocean and was swaying by the dynamic waves. And when it flips over, that was the same ship model you're in, flipping over on it's side in realtime while you're in it.

And the Train level in UC2, that was an actual train moving in the world in realtime! going from the forest to the snowy mountains. Not a stationary train with some moving background that makes it look like it's moving.

It's crazy what Naughty Dog could do on the PS3!

Painguy

The first 1 looks like they are just changing vertex colors and modifying vertex coords.

The Mario Galaxy 1 is done by modifying marios position based on the surface normal of the landscape closest to him. (Thats how id do it anyway)

Horp

Epic Citadel.
Ran smoothly on my old fucking iPhone 3GS! Madness! Mobile deviced today have lots of power but developing for 3GS myself it seemed I couldnt throw anything at it without it going into the teens of fps. But epic citadel was an entire environment with long drawdistance and bump mapping everywhere.
9hR_qxtNwe0Cckg81gRmq5yISAv20qzrthvqqRBwu-sVriPSU1DR-dQXIDMISZu4S3gL=h900

dan2026

When Mortal Kombat 9/10 transitions straight from a cutscene into a fight with no fade out or visable loading.
Street Fighter should of stolen that.

Magnus

So while I totally understand the thread's question,I don't fully understand what's impressive about the Soul Reaver example in the OP, but I'm probably missing something.

What I'm seeing is that a couple of blocks move in each GIF example. (I assume for the character to begin jumping on them or whatever to ascend higher). Why is this impressive?

Final Fantasy VIII when the pre-rendered backgrounds would switch to FMV backgrounds whilst you maintained control of your character. Utterly stunning, it felt magical.

Oh and of course everything in Shenmue, still blows my mind to this day how it was pulled off.

another vote for Rebirth, GC, i was speechless.

resident-evil-remake.jpg

Why do some people call it Rebirth? Is it a regional thing?

I probably feel the way about "Rebirth" that you would feel if I called it "Redux." You would understand what I was saying and even why I called it that, but it would probably make you wonder how I started calling it that in the first place.

Obviously it's totally innocuous and doesn't actually matter, but it's something I've been curious about for, like, a decade.

I've always thought that being able to dinamically split cars at any angle in Carmageddon2 was freaking amazing, taking into account that this game was released in 1998 and it could be ran only with CPU power in Software mode

Carsplit-carma2.jpg

BadHand

The environment puzzles in The Witness. How those come together (particularly the moving ones) at specific perspectives must have taken some programming genius.

TheKeyPit

Banned
As an animator, this is not that difficult to do at all actually once you have the right assets and camera angle. Helps that it's incredibly limited with it's movement. They use a lot of toon rigs for games like that, (ones specifically made for squash and stretch style animation) that are able to contort very easily, on top of just presumably loading in a completely new arm model specifically for that move and when you use the right perspective and the right poses you get a lot of good shots on top of the cellshading then you get animation like that. The timelapses in QB are incredibly well done, all that lighting data, effects, and assets loading and switching rapidly in realtime without any hits to performance is some magic type shit they even included weather:
quantum_break_tod_weather_change_by_digi_matrix-d9y1rmk.gif

Also still trying to find post mortems on how they did the facial animation in Mafia III, because wtf, because in a game this year.

Sooooo gooood.

KB2j0rv.gif

wenaldy

Sorry GAF i don't have any gif.

1. Cronos battle on God of War 3.
2. Fear Effect's Cel Shading on PS1.
3. Shadow of the Collosus.
4. Virtua Fighter on Arcade.
5. Red Faction PS2 (deformed/ destructible map).

Raide

The time ripple explosion stuff from Quantum Break amazes me every time. Cannot wait to see the Scorpio sequels.

Resident Evil 2 fitting on an N64 cartridge, complete with both scenarios and FMV's. Blows my mind to this day.

Oh, and GTA V on 360/PS3

...and many more.

BreakAtmo

I might just be easily impressed, but I loved the hallucinations in Arkham Knight where you would turn around to find a completely different environment, multiple times in the same scene, totally seamlessly despite you having full control of the camera. I imagine that kind of speedy environment shift really needed the multiple gigs of RAM in the new consoles.

ascii42

I thought LocoRoco's blob animation was impressive on the PSP.
Alyx Vance's facial animation at the beginning of Half-Life 2 in 2004.

The Gravity Gun in Half-Life 2 in 2004.

Mind just completely in pleasure that the game had that kind of stuff. I mean, I had seen the marketing vids from the pre-leak build and knew it was coming, but when it was actually running on my PC at home, I was just absolutely enthralled.

Along those lines, Half-Life 2 on the original Xbox was a feat.

bosseye

Battlefield 1 just blows my mind. It looks gorgeous, runs great, is full of destructible buildings, deformable terrain, physics, sexy effects and it's all happening online in real-time for 64 people potentially across the globe. How it gets done I don't know, some exceptionally clever people out there to make it happen. I'll just call it magic because that's essential what it is to me.

Rookhelm

Came in to post Soul Reaver, thanks OP!

Also, the Uncharted 2 train level comes to mind.

I remember being pretty floored by this when it was first shown. Lost Odyssey. The first cutscene blends seamlessly into the first battle.

It's a long opening, but the transition happens at the 3 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJWZlqLxiLg

quesalupa

Naughty Dog and DICE games in general. The way they seem to get so much more out of consoles than other developers leads me to believe they use black magic.

Top Bottom