• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games That Weren't Popular Or Well-Known That You Played A Lot With Friends?

HotHamBoy

The recent release of Comet Crash 2 on PS4 brought to mind the countless hours I spent playing the original game with friends on PS3. It's a badass multiplayer Tower Defense game for 1-4 players that has you being as equally aggressive as defensive. Pretty unique game in a bloated genre and it never really made a name for itself. A true hidden gem.

(Btw, everyone should buy Comet Crash 2, only $11.99 if you have PS Plus. We need more people online!)

Anyway, thought it might be fun to talk about games most people probably never played or even heard of that you and your friends really liked and spent a ton of time with.

When everyone was playing the ever-loving shit out of Hearthstone my friend and I were turning our noses up as we pumped hundreds of hours (and dollars) into Solforge.

Some others for me:

When my only console in 2008 was a hacked Wii my friends and I were getting drunk/stoned and playing a ton of:
Tatsunoko vs Capcom original Japanese release before it came over here
Baseball Stars 2
Windjammers
Magical Drop 3

walouija

Neo Member
I don't know if it counts, but for some reason my friends and I played soooo much Vigilante 8 on PS1 back in the day.

All sorts of weird HL mods.

They Hunger (I think that was it), Vampire Chronicals (I think?), Sven Coop, etc. Remember staying up late playing the horrible Valve mod Ricochet. The worst piece of crap Valve has released as far as I know.

Me and my friends would fire this up for a while. we loved it, but I don't think it was popular at all.
Forgotten-Worlds-Game-Cartridge-16-bit-MD-Game-Card-With-Retail-Box-For-Sega-Mega-Drive.jpg_640x640.jpg

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Bionic Commando (2009)

I was my first MP and it was my last. I had lot of fun playing this.

My friends and I were big into Worms 3D on the Gamecube when it came out. Every outlet seemed to hate it but we all were mad into it.

4 Player splitscreen Conflict Desert Storm 1 & 2 were big hits in my house, as well. I actually popped it in the Gamecube again recently and it's almost unplayable with the framerate. lol

Radnom

screenshot.jpg

Marshmallow Duel, it's still heaps of fun. Has procedurally generated levels and one hit kills and half the time you kill the other player by bumping into them and causing them to uncontrollably tumble off the platforms.

I even tried the homebrew DS port which supports local multiplayer on one DS (left player takes d-pad and L, right player uses buttons as directions and R).

I had plenty of good times with Deathrow (Xbox) and some friends. It's a game that is a lot better with other people because the game changes in certain ways. In single player you just have to score, whereas with multiple people you can try to knock everyone else out.

Kolibri

Played a lot of Boom Blox on the Wii with friends.

It's amazing how many people don't know it exists. It's awesome.

sotojuan

41eioAJv5xL.jpg

I didn't play much Mario, Sonic, etc. as a kid. Instead, me and my friends played this obsessively and even made a "real life" version of it.

balohna

I decided to download the recent Gauntlet game for PS4 (it was PS+ at some point) to see if my fiancee would be into it. She likes co-op multiplayer but isn't great at stuff like platformers or shooters.

We had a ton of fun with it, and still go back occasionally. A lot of people said to play Diablo III next, which we have done a bit but... They really are not as similar as you might think. Gauntlet is very much an ACTION RPG, beyond the level of Diablo. Your position and aim matter a lot more.

m00h

Banned
Todd’s Adventures in Slime World
0051.gif

Many many days spent on that in splitscreen with my best childhood buddy.

Me and my friends would fire this up for a while. we loved it, but I don't think it was popular at all.
Forgotten-Worlds-Game-Cartridge-16-bit-MD-Game-Card-With-Retail-Box-For-Sega-Mega-Drive.jpg_640x640.jpg

This was super popular since it was an arcade title. Loved the home version.

NES: Caveman Games and WCW Wrestling. I dunno why, but my brother and I loved those games.

SNES: Ultraman- pure crap, but it kept us busy until SF2 hit.

Genesis: Everything we played was popular

amar212

SUPER BUB CONTEST

PSone Net Yaroze gem I would pay 30$ for an remake.

And Hogs of War.

Nothing beats local multi of those two games.

Dartastic

NARUTO GEKITO NINJA TAISEN 3. HOLY CRAP. I was 19 and studying abroad in the UK, and my friends and I all got into Naruto like, big time. Since I had a decent amount of disposable income for my living abroad, I bought a Freeloader disk so I could get the US version of Resident Evil 4 sent to me and still have it work when I went back. As I already had that disk, I decided to also buy that Naruto fighting game. Holy crap. We played so much of that game. So, so much. We all got so, so good at it.

The next year when I went back to the USA, they all chipped in and bought a copy of Ninja Taisen 4 and sent it to me. ;-;

Rogue trip vacation 2012. Best vehicular combat game ever.

Small soldiers on ps1. Absolutely atrocious graphics, but for some reason we enjoyed the multi-player.

These are the only two that come to mind right now.

Akronis

Total Annihilation was an enormous hit in our household, despite it being overshadowed by StarCraft and Command and Conquer. I wish Chris Taylor was still working on Supreme Commander expansions or a legit sequel to SupCom :(

It is not a multiplayer game, and I don't even remember how we got to know it.

But my friends and I played the hell out of this game, it had a 100-mission mode that you get to play one by one.

It was a very direct and simple RTS game with no resources. But holy shit, I poured a considerable amount of my childhood into this game, and I still have a copy of it for old times' sake.

shot3_02.jpg

Top Bottom