• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where the final boss is actually the most difficult required boss

MxiI0Ij.png

xevis

Banned
Burai Fighter (NES) probably deserves a mention here. The game is hard as nails most of the time but the last boss is an endurance fight against a giant dragon whose only weak spot is an eye that's just a few pixels wide. I can't even reach the last stage these days but as a kid I remember playing this fight for 10-15 minute stretches. I must have hit him dozens of times, even fully powered up, and I *still* lost. Every. Single. Time. :(

buraifighter_07.png

Golden Sun: The Lost Age

Doom Dragon

doomdragon.png

Even if you are somewhat prepared with Djinn and team composition, he will still fuck you over with Cruel Ruin and Djinn Storm. In fact, Djinn Storm is probably the single most "fuck you" move in the game which is mainly the reason why you need some levels and pretty good gear.

Grady

Dragon age Inquisition comes right to mind for me. I played on hard and even though I beat final boss on first try I remember the fight lasting for what seemed like over an hour with me nearly dying several times. It was very stressful and I said to myself if I die I'm not going to try again. Way too long of a fight. Rest of the game was easy until that fight.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Burai Fighter (NES) probably deserves a mention here. The game is hard as nails most of the time but the last boss is an endurance fight against a giant dragon whose only weak spot is an eye that's just a few pixels wide. I can't even reach the last stage these days but as a kid I remember playing this fight for 10-15 minute stretches. I must have hit him dozens of times, even fully powered up, and I *still* lost. Every. Single. Time. :(

buraifighter_07.png

I had that game on Game Boy, and yeah, so incredibly hard. I don't think I ever managed to get past stage 2 or 3. Is the NES version harder?

jamsy

hqdefault.jpg

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits. Fuck this guy. I never managed to beat him and gave up after a bunch of tries.

Also, the original Golden Sun.

Stoze

Thanks for posting this. I actually should finish that game now.

I submit the following:
Sturm from Advanced Wars
advwar-1.png

2-17_map_01.png

Goddamn that last level was hard.

Good pick, though it's debatable if the game even has bosses. Started up Advanced Wars a month ago, and I still haven't come back to this mission after attempting it once. I'd argue the design of that level, in particular, goes against a lot of what I actually like about the game, i.e: relatively short, breezy missions whose success relies solely on troop placement and information about enemy troops, not unforeseen gimmicks and countering mass unit production. After playing it once I think I've got a good understanding on how to beat it, but I know it's going to take fucking forever to play through it because you have to control 3 armies instead of 1. It's a bitch.

jdstorm

Banned
Oceanhorn: every boss up until the final one was pretty trivial

Super Mario 3D World: Not strictly a boss fight. But Champion Road was brutal

Ratchet + Clank PS4: wasnt difficult but it was harder then anything else in the game

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hollow Knight recently actually

The real last boss, the normal last boss is a pushover

xevis

Banned
I had that game on Game Boy, and yeah, so incredibly hard. I don't think I ever managed to get past stage 2 or 3. Is the NES version harder?

Never played the Gameboy version. I did turn up this video though, which makes the last boss seem like a cakewalk. In the NES version he fires these giant rock-worm-things that follow you around. It's hard because their pattern partially depends on your position but it's not clear if they're going to converge or diverge. So you're trying to dodge while aiming at the dragon whose head is also moving and there's not enough space and the whole affair likely ends in tears :(

redfox088

Banned
Tales of Berseria
Pheonix and the dragons are tedious, but Laphicet and Arthur are annoying on chaos difficulty....I'm still at the save right before the fight
The last Colossus

Azuran

Banned
Cloud of Darkness in Final Fantasy 3.

The battle took an insane jump in difficulty. Good luck getting through that without the right jobs.

Gwyn in Dark Souls is incredibly difficult provided that you don't parry him. He moves quickly, acts aggressively, and hits very hard ( with what seems like nearly half you health per swing). He's easily the toughest boss in the base game, provided that you don't parry him. It's a shame soul of cinder in DS3 was nowhere near as difficult.

True Fire

Cloud of Darkness in Final Fantasy 3.

The battle took an insane jump in difficulty. Good luck getting through that without the right jobs.

Cloud of Darkness is probably the second most ridiculous boss of all time.

First off, you have to clear a 30 minute final dungeon with NO SAVE POINTS. Then you have to beat the main antagonist. And then you have to go through 10 minutes worth of cutscenes, with NO SAVE POINTS. Then you're transported to the FINAL final dungeon, and you have to beat FOUR bosses in order to be strong enough to beat the final boss. WITH NO SAVE POINTS.

Manu

Sigma, Mega Man X4. I'd go as far as to say he's the only actual hard fight in the game.

Sera, Mega Man Legends 2, same as above
unless you have the laser, which totally trivializes the fight.

This fucking asshole in Valkyrie Profile 2. I'm sure I retried this fight more than anything in the game. I only beat him once. Even when reloading my save I could never beat him again.

Also, the last REQUIRED boss in Bloodborne is Mergo's Wet Nurse, so I can't agree at all.

250px-SnowmadLeader.jpg

Lord Fredrik was the bane of my hard mode run of Tropical Freeze, probably tougher than Kaptain K.Rool who'd also fit this thread.

Bookman

Fight night champions

Actually way to hard for that kind of game. Never finished it. I guess its in the tradiotion of punch out?

KarmaCow

Mem Aleph is Strange Journey's Neutral Path is the one that immediately jumps to mind. The entire fight like triage, reviving demons and hoping to survive the turn so you can get some hits in. Pretty much every attack could wipe out the party.

jonjonaug

Mem Aleph is Strange Journey's Neutral Path is the one that immediately jumps to mind. The entire fight like triage, reviving demons and hoping to survive the turn so you can get some hits in. Pretty much every attack could wipe out the party.

Mem Aleph is ridiculous and one of the very few stains on an otherwise excellent game. It's scaled like ten levels above where you should be when you can encounter it. Other SMT games sometimes require a bit of grind to beat but none are as bad as Mem Aleph.

Speaking of SMT games: The recent SMT4:Apocalypse's final boss is by far the hardest thing in an already fairly difficult game, although it isn't unfair like Strange Journey's. The final bosses of both Devil Survivor games are also pretty difficult compared to just about everything else in their respective games other than bonus bosses.

cj_iwakura

Using items saved me lol.

For P2, I imagine. That ain't gonna help against Pandora, lol.

The most valuable item is glitched in P2 PS1's fan translation too, as if on spite. (The one that suicides the user to revive the party. It just kills the user and doesn't revive anyone.)

Zeromus in fanal fantasy 2 for snes.
I'd get wrecked so hard if I didn't level up enough and prepare for the fight.
1 of his big bang attacks would nearly level my entire party.
260139-Zeromus.jpg

Top Bottom