• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where the final boss is actually the most difficult required boss

t1gerjaw

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
latest

This bitch (Nyx Avatar from Persona 3).

The first time I fought her (him?), it took me almost 2 hours to get through 12 of her minor forms and whittled her final form's health down to less than 1500. I was so. fucking. close. Then this motherfucker uses NightQueen and fucks my shit up sideways. I then call it a night (at 3:30am) as I had an exam the next day. She's a hard boss, but an excellently designed one that tests the player's endurance and overall mastery and understanding of arcanas.

cj_iwakura

I also gave up and watched the ending online. FUCK that prick and his teleport move.
Decided to replay it again this year after suda announced the new one. I finally killed him, but had to drop the difficulty.

People really think he's harder than Sir Henry MF from NMH1? He's a pain in the neck, but just cheap. Henry requires mastery.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Suikoden V.

The entire game is a breeze (you can kill bosses in 1-2 turns) then boom, the final boss felt like an actual boss.

All I remember about the NMH2 boss was doing pretty well on my first attempt only to get my health completely wrecked by some giant laser beam, I managed to pull off that "waggle to get a second chance thing" only to continue being shredded by the laser and actually die that time.

Mem Aleph is ridiculous and one of the very few stains on an otherwise excellent game. It's scaled like ten levels above where you should be when you can encounter it. Other SMT games sometimes require a bit of grind to beat but none are as bad as Mem Aleph.

Speaking of SMT games: The recent SMT4:Apocalypse's final boss is by far the hardest thing in an already fairly difficult game, although it isn't unfair like Strange Journey's. The final bosses of both Devil Survivor games are also pretty difficult compared to just about everything else in their respective games other than bonus bosses.
I don't remember having much trouble with Mem Aleph, the early game was a lot harder for me.(it was also my first map making dungeon crawler of that type)

god I loved Strange Journey, I was so proud when I completed the whole damn map of Eridanus

cj_iwakura

I don't remember having much trouble with Mem Aleph, the early game was a lot harder for me.(it was also my first map making dungeon crawler of that type)

god I loved Strange Journey, I was so proud when I completed the whole damn map of Eridanus
Not an SMT thread goes by without someone complaining about MA. I got lucky, but I had an AGI build.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Sonic 2 Death Egg Robo

latest

Not only does he require 12 hits compared to the 8 for other bosses but you have to fight him with no rings and if you get hit you loose a life and have to restart the level from the beginning.

However he is even harder in "Knuckles in Sonic 2" as this is due to Knuckle's jump height being too low to hit it normally, so the player must do it as he lands, because as it crouches, it is low enough for Knuckles to jump and hit him.

I still have yet to beat Sonic 2 as a result of this motherfucker. One of the hardest bosses I have ever faced, and I've played through all of the NES Castlevanias.

Piers

Bowsetta in Mario & Luigi 1.
The attack patterns on that boss were BALLS HARD.
I remember forcibally backtracking all the way out of the castle to level up Mario and Luigi more.

Not a great game but it sticks in my mind because the final boss made me give up on it a few years back - last gen's Conan. Final boss was significantly harder than anything before.
Yeah I remember that as well. Breezing through the game for achievements then that final boss.

hqdefault.jpg

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits. Fuck this guy. I never managed to beat him and gave up after a bunch of tries.

Also, the original Golden Sun.
This is a long time ago and I just had my wisdom teeth taken out so I was on Percocet but I am pretty sure you can stack your guys to the furthest left and right possible and have your ranged guys do damage without ever getting hit. Maybe I'm misremembering though.

Linkhero1

I also gave up and watched the ending online. FUCK that prick and his teleport move.
Decided to replay it again this year after suda announced the new one. I finally killed him, but had to drop the difficulty.
How did you do this? I spent hours fightin him until I beat him lol.

Fuck him

I remember Smithy giving me a lot of trouble in Super Mario RPG without the Lazy Shell set. The Lazy Shell armor trivializes all boss fights since you basically can't die.

Mario and Luigi 1 and 2 both had brutal bosses after a game of generally not too bad ones. Still haven't beaten either game due to them.

Aladdin SNES by virtue of being one of the only bosses (was there another besides the street vendor?).

If they count, any Star Wars adaption that ends with escaping the exploding second Death Star from inside. I'm not sure if I've ever beaten that level on any of the games that feature it.

I remember Smithy giving a lot of trouble in Super Mario RPG without the Lazy Shell set. The Lazy Shell armor trivializes all boss fights since you basically can't die.

Maybe I was just bad at the game but I feel like one of the latter Croco fights, the Pirate Captain, and the boss of Mallow's palace were more trouble than Smithy (assuming you cheated and put Geno or Bowser against that giant crow instead of Mallow).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Maybe I was just bad at the game but I feel like one of the latter Croco fights, the Pirate Captain, and the boss of Mallow's palace were more trouble than Smithy (assuming you cheated and put Geno or Bowser against that giant crow instead of Mallow).
Dodo always takes the middle character of your party.

JBwB

KOTOR I guess? The final boss (and level) was always the only section that I had slight difficulty with.

The game in general though is very easy if you know what you're doing.

Sir Sweet from Prinny Can I Really Be The Hero
Spent about 200 lives only on this fucker (from a total of 1000 for the whole game!)

images

Chaos from Dissidia Final Fantasy

maxresdefault.jpg

edeo

Saga Frontier 2: Never beat the game
Megaman X and Megaman X4: I found the X4 boss unbeatable using Zero.
Demon's Souls: False King is the real final boss.
Bloodborne: I am shocked so many people thought the last two bosses were easy. I could only beat him with help. He'd constantly stun me. It was a battle to see whose HP would run out first.

Gin-Shiio

doomsday-zone-14.png

Doomsday Zone was a fucking nightmare with Super Sonic. I know most people likely owned all Super Emeralds and had access to Hyper Sonic by the time they reached the zone, and let me just say you missed out on the most difficult Sonic boss I know.

antibolo

Banned
The final battle with Dr. Wily in Mega Man VII is so hard, that after beating it, Mega Man seriously considers violating the first law of robotics.

PSqueak

Banned
Bloodborne. Works for both the main game and the DLC I think.

Disagree,
Gherman
and
Moon Presence
are far from the hardest (dunno about DLC), and i say this as someone who fought and beat
Moon Presence
for the first time on the NG+ on my first try.

And
Gherman
was basically like battling a regular
hunter enemy
but with a bit of more health.

Martyr Logarious was much more difficult than the main game's end bosses.

Super Castlevania IV?

I never actually beat it
Oh man, funny story. I also had trouble on that boss despite finding the secret hidden staircase at the end. My friend was over and playing with me. At some point he died and went home while I was in the bathroom. The final section started over with the timer ticking down. I went on and picked up the controller and fought Dracula without much thought. As I am getting closer to beat him I notice time is winding down. I finally kill him jump to catch the pearl that falls and within a few pixels the timer runs out. Game over. I could only laugh at the absurdity and started again. Beat him again the next chance but I'll never forget that first botched kill.

Nah bro the Cleric Beast is easy mode compared to most of the other bosses

Cleric Beast is one of the first bosses you can fight, not final. Not sure why it was mentioned. And if we're talking about the hardest Bloodborne boss, then that son of a bitch
Martyr Logarius
from the main game personally gave me the hardest time and from the DLC I'm currently getting demolished by
Orphan of Kos
. Though, I am on NG++ for my first DLC playthrough.

Manu

Sonic 2 Death Egg Robo

latest

Not only does he require 12 hits compared to the 8 for other bosses but you have to fight him with no rings and if you get hit you loose a life and have to restart the level from the beginning.

However he is even harder in "Knuckles in Sonic 2" as this is due to Knuckle's jump height being too low to hit it normally, so the player must do it as he lands, because as it crouches, it is low enough for Knuckles to jump and hit him.

Ugh, yes. Definitely.

Sometimes your jumps even clip through his body and you end up hitting his arm instead and die. Fuck this boss.

Top Bottom