• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where the final boss is actually the most difficult required boss

Alffwin

Neo Member
hqdefault.jpg

So stressful.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
"The Egg" Saga Frontier II.

Fuck this thing

0.jpg

Came to post this bullshit.

Was literally unbeatable for me, because I didn't use a guide to know how to weaken it.

Pop out disc, snap in half, rage quit life for a few hours.

Djostikk

Beyond Good & Evil, Metal Gear Rising, Enter the Gungeon, Dragons Dogma, Bloodborne.

I remember playing MGR back when it came out, got to the Armstrong and couldn't beat him, I stopped trying eventually. It's also worth noting I wasn't a big fan of fast paced action games.

Suddenly this January I decided to replay the whole game again. Mastered the parry ability, learned moves, weapons and all that. Beat all bosses on my first try and same for Armstrong. Maaan, that comeback felt so good. It's like all these years I've been playing other similar games just to git gud and finally kill Armstrong.

Dez_

This bitch (Nyx Avatar from Persona 3).

The first time I fought her (him?), it took me almost 2 hours to get through 12 of her minor forms and whittled her final form's health down to less than 1500. I was so. fucking. close. Then this motherfucker uses NightQueen and fucks my shit up sideways. I then call it a night (at 3:30am) as I had an exam the next day. She's a hard boss, but an excellently designed one that tests the player's endurance and overall mastery and understanding of arcanas.

Oh god, I remember also spending roughly 2 hours on that boss fight, really struggling towards the end. I got Nyx down to the tiniest sliver of health left, one more hit would have finished the boss... The next attack charms one of my healers and they proceed to use Mediarahan on the boss: final boss completely and fully healed. It was late at night, so I was too tired to even be upset. I just turned off the game and didn't touch the game for some time. It was totally demoralizing. I did eventually beat the game though, but seriously, fuck the charm status effect.

Lothar

Banned
Lunar 1 and 2. Pretty close to the only bosses that were hard and they were really difficult. Some of the best boss battles of any game.

Ratchet &a Clank: Up Your Arsenal

Maybe I just suck but I can't beat Dr Nefarious

It's one of the best boss fights in the series. ACIT has 2 extreme ones--general Asmos(?), and the optional boss fight that is legit the hardest in the series. But the last few shots and the slo-mo explosion of him dying was worth it.

For me, nothing in KZ2 prepares you for Radec. If there was any doubt about why this motherfucker led the army, you find out immediately that he's the real deal.

And then you play it on the highest difficulty and realize he was holding back.

Not hard, but God of War 3, Zeus is one of my favorite boss fights. Killing the king of the gods should feel like a task, and it was. That said, the variety in God of War 2 is the best in the series.

Vergil on DMD was a bitch. Holy shit.

Syder

For all three of Bloodborne's endings:
Mergo's Wet-Nurse
Gehrman
&
Moon Presence
; I thought they were all quite difficult and I wasn't disappointed by any of them.

The Old Hunters DLC final boss:
Orphan of Kos
; this might have been the most difficult boss in the Soulsborne series for me.

BiggNife

Bloodborne. Works for both the main game and the DLC I think.
Maybe for the DLC but Moon Presence really wasn't that bad at all.

Bowsetta in Mario & Luigi 1.
The attack patterns on that boss were BALLS HARD.
I remember forcibally backtracking all the way out of the castle to level up Mario and Luigi more.
Oh yeah, I couldn't beat Bowletta as a kid because I didn't grind enough.

PiT's final boss gauntlet was worse, though, and unquestionably way harder than anything else, particularly in the US version. God, what a load of horseshit.

clav

hqdefault.jpg

So stressful.

This boss was awesome.

So many iconic things going on.

Introduces a new mechanic.
Firing eggs in the background.

A change of tune + pace in music (trying to simulate a guitar band with SNES instruments).

Changing platforms.

Too bad every Yoshi game after this one (outside of Yoshi's Story) has tried to copy it terribly.

Dnetwork7

Neo Member
SMT 4: Apocalypse had one of the most intense final boss battle in recent memory for me( not to mention that I was playing on the highest difficulty) :x

Lothar

Banned
They're pathetic compared to the original versions.

I know that was the case for some of the boss battles like Borgan. But I thought Zophar was harder in the remake.

That's what this Let's play and discussion thread on differences says.
https://lparchive.org/Lunar-Eternal-Blue/Update 51/
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197807-lunar-2-eternal-blue/21885487

I haven't played the Sega CD version myself.

But either way, Zophar on the remake was one of the most intense boss battles I had. It took me several tries, each try was about 30 minutes, and when I finally beat him there were so many close calls.

Final Boss in Ni No Kuni. Now I've beaten lots of hard games, but this boss is ridiculous. My battles with it would take 20-30 minutes per round. It's got like 4 forms to go through.

gfxtwin

Gears of War/GOW:UE. All the bosses in the game are a cakewalk, and then you get to RAAM and it's like "How am I gonna beat this without coop or switching back to normal?".

Usobuko

Banned
Is nyx different in persona 3 portable?

I find him pretty easy compare to say the devil survivor games.

This thread is rather heartwarming tbh where mastery is still an appeal in gaming.

Ashes

Banned
What was that early Ps3 game with a female lead, and she had long orange hair I think. The game was incredibly easy, and then the jump to the final boss was 20x harder than everything else.

Metroid Prime.

Yeah. That final boss made me put down the game for over a year. I came back and used a guide to get all the missile expansions around the planet.

As has happened sometimes I was just better after time and beat the boss with about the amount of missiles I had originally before getting all the expansions.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Never beat the game as the boss was terribly overpowered and took away all health after the first part of the boss fight.

It's 2 AM and a Noreaster means no one is out tomorrow and I was really thinking about starting this game up on the Wii U Virtual Console. What are the odds?

No More Heroes 2 - Jasper Batt Jr.

Like a lot of No More Heroes this boss is meta and a sort of a parody.

That doesn't excuse his incredible cheapness in one part but I can appreciate what they were going for.

He has multiple forms with different styles. Each evolution sees him get bigger with the third and final for being the easiest because he's so huge and ridiculous looking.

Like the first No More Heroes I did a second playthrough immediately after on the hardest difficulty (which I never ever do). Like the fact I'll never beat the true boss of NMH 1 on the highest, I resigned myself that I'll never beat Jasper on the highest either.

At least the music is really, really good.

Splatoon. It's also the most fun I've had with a boss in any game from this gen.

Also really great music.

Oooh, that's a good one.

I also think Skyward Sword's last boss was definitely toughest.

Skyward Sword was what I came to post.

As they hyped this encounter up I decided to prepare. I 100% everything so I had 5 bottles which I filled with fairies and potions.

The combination of boosts to me and 3 fairies (which I all used) meant I could kill him without actually figuring out the proper way to do it. I regretted that but as the game showed the final emotional scenes I want to sit back and soak everything in.

Karu

Zelda: The Minish Cap for me. Loved that game, but back then I couldn't do it. I have a suspicion that entirely on me, but I was a bit dumbfounded after hitting that particular wall of a final boss.

Right here.

Most bullshit boss I have ever encountered. You need legit LUCK to beat this motherfucker.

Nah, not true. You must be confused with Ozma who may or may not hit you with curse and meteor back to back when he feels like it.

Did you ignore status abilities the whole time? Grand Cross ain't that bad if you're using it. Someone might get hit with instant death, but then just Life or Phoenix that shit. Spam that Grand Lethal and he done son.

arc the lad has quite a few difficulty spikes.
Really? He was harder than others, but I never found him like frustrating. it's been years since I played, but I believe he has patterns. He has a move where he sucks the energy from you and heals himself, but this only works if you're close to him. He has a full screen eye beam, but it can be avoided by spreading your people to the walls and away from the center.

zoodoo

The 3 that comes up in my head instantly are:

Dementium the ward on ds. A cheap final boss and you get sent to the begining of the level when you die. The level consist of corridors full of enemies. No final boss checkpoint. Took me 2 hours straight.

Shinobi ps2. OMG, the rage. I replay this game from time to time as I love it but i am not fighting that final boss again.

Diddy kong racing. Whats that giant pig name again? I love that game way more than mario kart but that boss made teenager me furious. In fact I'd like to replay it to see if it was really hard or I just sucked.

This topic is about REQUIRED final bosses not optional correct?

Well, Gehrman and Moon Presence are both optional boss fights, the final required boss in Bloodborne is Mergo's Wet Nurse.

Hermii

A link between worlds.

The bosses can be taken in any order so the designers didn't know approximately how many heart containers the player would have, whereas the final boss they did know so he does a lot more damage.

I hate bosses. I especially hate final bosses. I often get to the end boss and just quit without even trying. I think this is because the possibility that the boss will be too hard and stop me from beating the game is worse than the idea that I chose to stop playing.

HeeHo

Lightning Returns.

When you want a game to end, this is like the worst thing ever. The game sometimes requires a bit of block timing but it is straight up required to beat the last boss. You can't really mess around either cause the boss takes off a substantial amount of health if you fail to block and that was with me doing a ton of sidequests and board requests.

The reason this kinda sucks is because the blocking sometimes feels like it requires a twitchy reflex that you haven't been developing until then.

Bloodborne DLC
Laurence
is close but
Orphan of Kos
HAD ONE OF THE BEST VIDEOS OF ALL TIME [read: probably the hardest boss in the Souls series]

also Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge
that game had a lot of "fuck you" bosses, but the last one was the "fuck you"-iest of them all
why did i suffer through that shit on hard
that Way of the Ninja difficulty playthrough is nevet happening lol

Soodanim

Gold Member
This topic is about REQUIRED final bosses not optional correct?

Well, Gehrman and Moon Presence are both optional boss fights, the final required boss in Bloodborne is Mergo's Wet Nurse.
Isn't Gehrman for one of the endings? I think that still qualifies, as a bad ending is just cutting the game short as opposed to extending it. Like Symphony of the Night. You can finish the game without killing Dracula (and half of the bosses), but we all know he's the last boss.

I'd say things like some of the Weapon bosses in Final Fantasy games are what OP means by optional, where beating them gives no story-based reward and are in as an extra challenge.

I can sort of see why devs put optional bosses in as the hardest (Dark Souls 3), as they want people to finish their game and not rage quit. That's why I think linear games sometimes have easy last bosses - it becomes a reward for beating the game in a way. I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it, but I can see the thought process.

Top Bottom