• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where the final boss is actually the most difficult required boss

Kyne

Was he really that tough?
I remember i had nothing but a party of physical attackers with no healers and i just whaled on him the entire fight.

there was a serious RNG factor in the attacks he used that made you rely on a lot of prepping. Without the knowledge of what to equip beforehand your entire party could get wiped pretty easily.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Star Ocean 2. There was a pretty involved side quest that resulted in the last boss having his "limiter" removed, making him even stronger than the boss at the end of the Cave of Trials.

That was pretty fucking awesome because it made the last boss not feel completely anticlimactic after you beat the optional super boss.

foxdvd

really the only hard boss in the game is the final boss in Bound by Flame... on the harder difficulties it can be really tough if you are not one type of build...

Shifty1897

"The Egg" Saga Frontier II.

Fuck this thing

0.jpg

LORD yes. Evil final boss.

Valkyrie Profile 2's final boss was rough too. I had to grind an extra 10 or 15 levels to beat him.

Zolo

really the only hard boss in the game is the final boss in Bound by Flame... on the harder difficulties it can be really tough if you are not one type of build...

I specialized in dual daggers with some flame enhancements. Still pretty difficult on the hardest difficulty.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Urobolus
wasn't that hard.
Oops, forgot about that thing haha. I don't really consider it the last boss.
The final boss was tough as hell, I have no objection. It's been years, but I recall that being one hell of an endurance trial.
They're referring to that other "post-ending" boss that you gotta solo, not the thing with the 4 orbs which was really tough and by far the hardest boss of the game. I consider the fight after that to be just a playable cut scene to be honest, kind of like Sephiroth vs Cloud in FF7 not being the "final boss" instead of the angel Sephiroth.
Gotta disagree. You look at which bosses fans are having trouble with, and it's usually either Pontiff Sulyvahn or Aldrich. Pontiff especially seems to be the stopping point for many playthroughs.
They're overrated. :p Pontiff and Aldrich took me 2 tries each, Soul of Cinders took me at least 6-7, probably more. Even Abyss Watchers the first time took way more tries (found 'em before even doing the Cathedral though, was underpowered). That said, I think L&L is the hardest non-optional boss after all.

Disagree,
Gherman
and
Moon Presence
are far from the hardest (dunno about DLC), and i say this as someone who fought and beat
Moon Presence
for the first time on the NG+ on my first try.

And
Gherman
was basically like battling a regular
hunter enemy
but with a bit of more health.

Martyr Logarious was much more difficult than the main game's end bosses.
Martyr Logarius is optional, not required. Christ, read the thread TITLE people...

That's not how the word "final" works.

If we're just naming bosses then Bloodstarved Beast is the hardest final boss.

That's also not how the word "required" works. :p
Moon Presence
is not only not required, it's very easily missable.
Gehrman
is also technically optional, but most people end up fighting him as the last boss. That said I agree he's not the hardest. By the time you reach him you should be strong enough to simply brute force your way through.

Bloodborne. Works for both the main game and the DLC I think.

I thought the
spider dude
was way harder than that
last hunter guy

FF13. It was BULLSHIT!!!

I thought the 2nd to last fight with Bartholemew or whatever his name was with all the faces was much harder. Or even some of the optional Pulse bosses.

Final Fantasy 9; Necron.

latest

I disagree with another one! Necron is much easier than Ozma, and can be killed in a shorter time (if you survive). I've never beaten Ozma myself, but I've beat Necron plenty of times.

God of War.

That was the only game where I had to drop the difficulty ... and that was just at the very end when they are both giants.

tkscz

Yep. And it's insanely tough. One day we'll beat it....

Game that first came to mind for me is Splatoon. Final boss is a crazy melange of mayhem that blows away every other in creativity and difficulty. The game had some cool bosses before this, but the final boss is one of the best I'd seen in years.

Holy shit this. The last boss in Splatoon comes straight out of left field when all other bosses were pretty simple up to that point. That last hit on him is damn near impossible due to how much he just throws at you.

Toa TAK

Banned
Glad to see the Metroid Prime and Senator Armstrong on here. I feel seriously cheated out of a game and my money when the final """boss""" is cut down to a QTE or something similar that lacks any challenge. Fuck that.

Dante's Inferno - Lucifer. The difficulty ramped up against him.
I remember really enjoying that.

LakeEarth

Final Fantasy 9; Necron.

latest

When I got up to Necron for the first time, I was completely unprepared and I actually accepted the fact that I wouldn't be beating him on my first try. But then I realized I banked about five dozen megaelixers, let the most useless party member die so I had to heal one less person, and just whittled him down for an hour.

HvySky

Final Fantasy XIII-2 comes to mind. I'm not sure if I was just somewhat underleveled at that point but I remember that boss coming out of fucking nowhere. I didn't lose, but I was fighting to hold on for what ended up being forty five minutes. Yeah, probably underleveled, but damn if it wasn't the hardest boss for me personally.

Toxi

Banned
They're overrated. :p Pontiff and Aldrich took me 2 tries each, Soul of Cinders took me at least 6-7, probably more. Even Abyss Watchers the first time took way more tries (found 'em before even doing the Cathedral though, was underpowered). That said, I think L&L is the hardest non-optional boss after all.
I guess it depends on how much we're factoring the community consensus versus our own experiences.

Like many Bloodborne players would consider Bloodstarved Beast the hardest "non-optional" boss, but I have always found him pretty easy.

Blobbers

There's often some fuckery to the final bosses in SMT games that makes them way harder then they should be if you've not read up on them.

In Persona 3: Nyx has an attack that can charm every teammate, who can then heal her for max HP. For extra annoyance factor, she only uses the attack in her very last phase, when you're already popping the victory champagne.

In Strange Journey: Aside from Mem Aleph being just too strong if you've not grinded for an extra 15-20 levels, she has an attack that randomly chooses an alignment and removes every demon of that alignment from your current line-up. You're just supposed to know that the usual strategy of Hero + 3 demons of same alignment for best demon co-op is the absolute worst way to go.

in Nocturne: Lucifer has a 95% resistance to every single attack and 65k HP and if you're not a Strength + Pierce build, you're in for a long ass fight

And I believe in Devil Survivor Lucifer has an insane Megidoalan attack that gets stronger and stronger with each consecutive use, which means you need to finish him off quickly or you're fucked regardless of your equipped skills.

Dracula in the PSP Rondo of Blood 2.5d-remake (has a third form whereas he only has 2 forms in the original where he's not the hardest boss).

ffvorax

Arc Twilight of Spirits... all the game is easy and then the final boss is impossible without a LOT of grinding... :,(

In Persona 3: Nyx has an attack that can charm every teammate, who can then heal her for max HP. For extra annoyance factor, she only uses the attack in her very last phase, when you're already popping the victory champagne.
Although that's very bullshit and made me learn Armaggedon to just get it done after he did that 1 hit from dying, I vaguely remember the tables in Tartarus being very annoying too.

Probably not hard for others, but I was never able to finish the game because of this form.

FjGdGXu.jpg

Honestly this guy fucked me right off more than any other Zelda boss, high damaging attacks and the 2D plane made avoiding some of the attacks an absolute ballache.

wamberz1

If you're talking about The Star then that's not really "required".

Most people would generally consider the star the final boss. And tons of people here are listing completely optional bosses from bloodborne like
gerhman and moon presence.
I'm going by the idea of "can you beat it on your first playthrough, and does it end the game?" since with more and more games nowadays having optional/secret bosses and endings the idea of "final boss" is becoming more diluted.

Recently that I have played I will say Nights of Azure, and Bound by Flame. Both of those games I pretty much got through everything pretty easily, and then the last bosses showed up and wrecked my ass.

lumzi23

The Witcher 2.
That dragon

Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns
Mordremoth. The problem isn't beating him so much as it is getting to him. There are pre bosses you have to beat before you reach him. Plus if you die, the pre boss you are on, or even Mordremoth himself is restored to full health.

Final Fantasy IV is the first to come to mind. While there are definitely some tough bosses and roadblocks throughout the game, Zeromus definitely reigns above them all.

Probably not hard for others, but I was never able to finish the game because of this form.

FjGdGXu.jpg

I totally forgot about this one. Absolutely screwed me over as a kid.

Bayonetta 2's final boss is definitely a real contender for the most difficult required boss in the game, especially on higher difficulties/trying to get the Pure Platinum. I think it's debatable if he's harder than the Lumen Sage or not though.

PaulBizkit

Not Square/SE Games - The Thread.

An optional boss should ALWAYS be stronger than the final boss. Like Culex in SMRPG or the Emerald Weapon in FF7.

Astral

Final Fantasy games are usually good about this.

FFIV - I never defeated Zeromus
FFIX - Necron was an asshole. I was unprepared and t took me a couple of tries. There was definitely luck involved.
FFX - Jecht is worthy final boss.
FFXII- If it weren't for the Bubble spell, I never would've beaten this guy. But I was under leveled.

I think other FF games apply but even though their final bosses were the hardest, they still weren't that hard.

FF 10: Jecht/Sin was a beast, only boss in that game that i died multiple times to before I beat it, even went to bed because I was raging hard haha and beat it 2 days later on the 1st try.

Final Fantasy 9; Necron.

latest

Yep. When I played through the game again recently on Steam, I breezed through everything (while also using a less than optimal party configuration for the latter portions). I actually lost to Necron the first time and swapped a party member, even then (also properly equipped to guard against as many of his status effects as possible), it was a tough fight.

Ray Down

Banned
I really don't get the FFX comments, you can easily break that game before getting to the final boss.

Yunalesca & Seymour Flux are the hardest bosses in that game, relative to when you fight them in game.

PSqueak

Banned
Martyr Logarius is optional, not required. Christ, read the thread TITLE people...

Did you?

Someone proposed that the final bosses of Bloodborne are the hardest in accordance to the thread title, i countered saying this is not true because Martyr Logarius (and for the record, bosses like Rom or Mergo's Wet Nurse too) is harder, hence i was merely declaring that Bloodborne does NOT meet the criteria for the thread by virtue of its final bosses not being the hardest.

How is that not appropriate discussion for the thread?

Sölf

Every kingdom hearts game, just about.

What? In many of the Kingdom Hearts Games the final boss is actually rather weak, imo. In KH 1 I oneshot the boss while dieing quite a few times to other bosses. In KH 2 I died to the final form of the final boss once, yet I spent hours on Xaldin. Chain of Memories has Replica Riku who is much harder than the final boss. 358/2 Days also has a rather easy final boss. Birth by Sleep was the first Kingdom Hearts where the final boss was not a total pushover, imo.

Kingdom Hearts definitly has hard bosses, but most of the time they appear much earlier in the game. However, I would also argue that KH being an action RPG, many of the bosses that appear hard for one player may not necessarily be hard for another one.

Top Bottom