• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where you acknowledge all the faults but you still love them.

Woggleman

I was talking about Cyberpunk 2077 with my cousin and I was telling her that even though I admit that what most of the critics say is true even outside of the bugs I still love the game. From the first time I played I love the whole atmosphere and vibe of Night City. I love the little stories and lore attached to the missions and I love how they make the city seem glamorous and scummy at the same time which is hard to do. To me it somehow overcomes it's many faults.

Arachnid

None. Every game I love is perfection.

giphy.gif

BlueLyria

Every Compile Heart and Idea Factory game.
Bullet Girls and the Oneechanbara series.
Etrian Odyssey games.
Valkyria Chronicles 2.
Skyrim

lordrand11

Cyberpunk 2077 and FFXVI are probably the most recent examples for me. I'm glad Cyberpunk has had a great turnaround and more people are loving the game for what it is, rather than what it isn't.
FFXVI I've enjoyed, but realistically that should've been Vagrant Story 2 with Summons considering the story and the gameplay, it would have made much more sense instead of slapping the final fantasy moniker on it.

Alex11

I was talking about Cyberpunk 2077 with my cousin and I was telling her that even though I admit that what most of the critics say is true even outside of the bugs I still love the game. From the first time I played I love the whole atmosphere and vibe of Night City. I love the little stories and lore attached to the missions and I love how they make the city seem glamorous and scummy at the same time which is hard to do. To me it somehow overcomes it's many faults.
Fuck, there are too many, almost every game I really like has some flaw, but to narrow it down:
- Almost every Bioware game from KOTOR onwards.
- Cyberpunk 2077, tons of bugs and flaws but insane graphics, amazing side quests, amazing atmosphere.
- Death Stranding, such a surreal experience but Jesus does it have some irritating things that I wanna put my foot through the screen.

EDMIX

Yep its cyberpunk. Yes there is a lack of activities beyond mercenary stuff. But damn, Night City is just something else

Truth.

Thats what makes that disappointment so great. The team that crafted the city deserves all the praise, its world that looks amazing, but lacks so much function and activity its like, who cares? The end result resembles an impressive tech demo at first glance, but its appeal diminishes due to severe limitations in interactivity. So ultimately, the initial shine and allure quickly fade away and you are just left with, shoot, kill, repeat type quest.

I hope they just use the same exact city in its sequel and just focus on actually making compelling functions to support the narrative. Like actually having you join gangs, corporations or the police to add some level role playing that the IP deserves.

After putting like 60 something hours in it, I would have gladly did a replay if it had more function, actual RPG element etc. Though I once over most RPGs, this was the game before release I wanted to do many runs on.....that was before I actually played it lol

We'll see what they do with a sequel with that city to really make it life like with actual activity.

A game where I acknowledge all the faults but love it, would have to be the entire Fallout and Elder Scrolls series lol I mean, I know what I'm getting into day 1, jank, bugs, glitches, but that world's so well fucking crafted with amazing narratives where the elements of the game allow for compelling stories and the NPCs have a life of their own.

Starfield is a day 1 and I 100% know it will have issues, but what they do right in regards to concept, activity, function, story, RPG elements (like joining gangs, guilds, factions) etc all such a massive layer to their RPGs, that I already can see me playing through it many times to have different builds and join different groups.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Bloodlines. The ending is terrible, it's janky as fuck - especially the combat, and, even with fan patches, it has a lot of technical issues. But it's the closest we've come to anyone rivaling Deus Ex. Magic stuff, flaws and all.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Bellmaiden is an atrocity, magic is trash, chalice dungeons are not fun and are required to get weapon variants...bullshit.

Still love the game.
I fucking loved the panic the bell maidens gave me (being thrust into PvP with invaders as a mechanic is hardly new to Dark Souls), the magic was fine IMO (build variety wasn't a huge focus just like Sekiro, and like Sekiro, I loved what the game did focus on which was trick weapons; personally I've never cared for magic builds in other From games), and I loved grinding chalice dungeons for weapon variants and new bosses if for no other reason than it was a reason to keep playing the game. In fact, I cant wait to do it all again the day they remaster/remake BB.

Of course, opinions and all that. You aren't the first person I've seen to hate chalice dungeons.

Pimpbaa

Mad Max. The arkham style combat sections could drag on sometimes, but the car combat was awesome along with building your own car. Kinda wish they would make a sequel to come out around the time the next movie comes out. Maybe with more emphasis on car combat along with hand to hand combat on moving vehicles (rather than just killing all the bad guys in their camps).

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Xenosaga Episode 2
Final Fantasy 8
Too Human
Fable III
Star Ocean 3
Star Ocean 4
Chrono Cross
Legend of Dragoon
Vagrant Story
Suikoden 4
Breath of Fire III
Final Fantasy 15

brian0057

Banned
Splinter Cell: Double Agent. More specifically, version 1.
A superb stealth title and the last game in the series worth a damn.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I fucking loved the panic the bell maidens gave me (being thrust into PvP with invaders as a mechanic is hardly new to Dark Souls), the magic was fine IMO (build variety wasn't a huge focus just like Sekiro, and like Sekiro, I loved what the game did focus on which was trick weapons; personally I've never cared for magic builds in other From games), and I loved grinding chalice dungeons for weapon variants and new bosses if for no other reason than it was a reason to keep playing the game. In fact, I cant wait to do it all again the day they remaster/remake BB.

Of course, opinions and all that. You aren't the first person I've seen to hate chalice dungeons.
The bell maiden was an atrocity because they allowed players to kill her and not be able to be invaded. As a red phantom pvper...I felt like it diminished the range of players that I could invade/troll/ruin their day.

I also wished there was more Ninpo in Sekiro not like OP stuff but Sekiro seemed much more grounded as a ninja. The Taijutsu moves were cool but I felt like they had no purpose in boss fights. They should have had certain Taijutsu moves be a boss weakness to make player want to use them in boss battles. Otherwise they were just too risky with some of the longer animations.

PVP was my reason to keep playing after beating it a few times. I would go into an area and sometimes would have to wait a long time for queues...I imagine it was either From Software's janky net code or people were killing their Bell Maiden's first shot they got.

I never enjoyed Chalice Dungeons because it felt tacked on....then they just put weapons in there to forced people to do them. Don't even get me started on how stupid it was to try and co-op in the chalice dungeons.

Top Bottom