• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where you acknowledge all the faults but you still love them.

my first playthrough? i was very disappointed. my second playthrough, a few years later? i finally fucking realized/appreciated i was playing maybe the most demented, hilarious game i'd ever played, that it was lots of fun, & that, awesomely enough, it was set in an incredibly cool rendition of 40's/50's l.a.! pure, unadulterated ingeniousness...

amigastar

Rise of the Triad 2013
It may have many flaws but i love it.
2acf228bbec12082edd0ab383d270225.jpg

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Final Fantasy XV :
Fully aware of its faults but damn I had such a good time with it ! Objectively it's below game like Witcher 3, God Of War... but I'd choose FFXV over these games without hesitation because I had so much fun with the game and the alchemy between party member really got me.

Final Fantasy XVI :
Still pretty early (12h) but I can see quite some flaws (especially for a FF, like the drop of most RPG mechanics and only controlling/customizing one character) but I really love it. Combat, visuals and story really caught me good.

Dark Souls :
Some says the game is not perfect. These people are wrong.

Last edited:
Bloodlines. The ending is terrible, it's janky as fuck - especially the combat, and, even with fan patches, it has a lot of technical issues. But it's the closest we've come to anyone rivaling Deus Ex. Magic stuff, flaws and all.
The first game that comes to my mind as well.
Funnily enough I initially had no real big problems with only the official patch, but on the second playthrough with fan patches and another character I had a main story stopping bug, which iirc disappeared after a reinstall, so I did at least not really lose progress.
Pity that the studio dissolved and we had no true successor since forever.

Hitman certainly also. The glitchiness of the first games was insane, but still, if you avoided those and a run worked out, it was just awesome.

An actually terrible game I still spent a relative long time in was Boiling Point Road to Hell. Several quests and the factions overall were broken when I abandoned my playthrough attempt. But I think it was the first open world fps and for some reason I loved driving the bus from one point to another. I kinda was more into the open world "racing" or Bus Simulator 2005, than the actual Far Cry before FC was GTAified like game it tried to be. It's objectively a bad game, but still I spent as much time in it as with Morrowind, which I did not finish because I got lost and bored, which is imho barely a better reason than a game being fucked up entirely.

kyussman

Death Stranding treated me like I had the memory of a goldfish......but playing it was a wonderful experience.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Bloodlines. The ending is terrible, it's janky as fuck - especially the combat, and, even with fan patches, it has a lot of technical issues. But it's the closest we've come to anyone rivaling Deus Ex. Magic stuff, flaws and all.
The ending is fantastic. The last moment twist is one of the most memorable parts of that game. But yeah that game is one of my all time faves despite all the broken shit.

BosmerCulter

Neo Member
Fallout 4, the gameplay and writing are utterly crap but man i love this game so much... I spend hundreds of hours exploring the world and on housing.

SCB3

I have a few but more recently

Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

It has a lot of technical issues, some patched out, but I cannot deny that this and Legends have been both a fantastic time to be a fan

Shut0wen

For me its turok evolution, a game that harshly got panned by critics for having horrible flying and riding mechanics that are actually not as bad as what people say it is, while the shooting and platforming is just the same if not better then the rest of the series

Fredrik

bethesda RPGs basically
tons of problems but there are none like them
Yeah, the jank is already factored in, bad melee, and the corny NPC dialogue. Everybody expect it so nobody really goes around thinking it ruins the game.

I think Zelda is the same now. If I’m critical I can see tons of issues with Zelda TOTK. But it’s still my GOTY and I think the 96 Metacritic score is perfectly fair.

Andrenicks

Neo Member
Gothic 3 was a disaster but i've loved that game like no others at the time.

FF8 Is One of the worst FF ever made, poor written characters, useless side quests, junction system that was far strange, but Is my favourite FF, i can play It twice a year Just to listen the balamb garden ost.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Vanilla WoW. Insanely flawed in various ways by today's standards. Still stands as one of the best MMO experiences a person can have.

NahaNago

So many games for me. I'd go with infamous second son just had so many issues for me after I was done playing it but I loved the game and wanted a sequel. The order 1886 is a big one for me. The game honestly felt like an intro to me but I still really enjoyed the game. FF8 and 9 have issues but I loved the games quite a bit.
Final Fantasy XV :
Fully aware of its faults but damn I had such a good time with it ! Objectively it's below game like Witcher 3, God Of War... but I'd choose FFXV over these games without hesitation because I had so much fun with the game and the alchemy between party member really got me.

Final Fantasy XVI :
Still pretty early (12h) but I can see quite some flaws (especially for a FF, like the drop of most RPG mechanics and only controlling/customizing one character) but I really love it. Combat, visuals and story really caught me good.
For FFXV the relationships between the guys and how they interact was pretty much the reason I enjoyed it. I really wish they had further developed on them spending time traveling. I always like seeing party members interacting in games when they aren't fighting.

On FF16 I'm a bit mixed on the game. I'm about halfway through the game, I think, so those big summon combat visuals are amazing, the character drama is pretty good at times, but the game feels low budget and the characters kind of look not that detailed at times on the visual department. Now the world can look amazing but not being able to enter that many buildings is kind of weird. It's like a shonen jump game off thrones.

Last edited:

Zheph

Gothic 3 was a disaster but i've loved that game like no others at the time.

FF8 Is One of the worst FF ever made, poor written characters, useless side quests, junction system that was far strange, but Is my favourite FF, i can play It twice a year Just to listen the balamb garden ost.
Yo don't go that far lmao but FF8 is also my favourite despite all the flaws I find the game to be so magical ffs

JCK75

Hidden and Dangerous -
It was so clunky and unrefined, AI was a bit on the dumb side.
But being able to just tackle a mission any way you choose and set up your small team tactically was an experience I'll never forget.

Topher

Gold Member
Assassin's Creed and other Ubisoft games come to mind. All the criticisms are true......and yet I still enjoy playing those games.

Fbh

To honour my avatar: The Wonderful 101.

-It does a terrible job at explaining itself
-The camera is too close during traversal and too far away during combat
-On the original WiiU release the framerate sucked.
-As most platinum games (except maybe Nier automata) the gimmick gameplay sequences that deviate from the core gameplay fucking suck
-Drawing the shapes to switch between the various weapons is an annoying gimmick .

But it's still an awesome game

Hudo

Well, I've bee fairly recently told by experts on GAF that Tears of the Kingdom is fucking garbage but I still like the game. So, I guess that.

GymWolf

Super Metroid too? I struggle to find anything big there. Maybe it’s too difficult for younger gamers who are used to have more hints? ”Y can’t metroid crawl?”
I barely remember that game, too much time has passed.

Fredrik

I barely remember that game, too much time has passed.
It’s still my all time #1. I replay it every other year to see if it deserves that position, Elden Ring was close to dethrone it but stumbled on that stupid end game boss.

TastyPastry

cyberpunk 2077 is for sure one of them and so is manhunt. manhunt has outdated graphics and outdated gameplay but it is a one of a kind horror experience i like to play around halloween time and there is no other game like it.

GymWolf

It’s still my all time #1. I replay it every other year to see if it deserves that position, Elden Ring was close to dethrone it but stumbled on that stupid end game boss.
I prefer castlevania sotn by a landslide.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Mad Max

Story could have been better. Side missions less tedious.
But god damn I was in love with its open world, combat and vehicle traversal.

Deadly Premonition: The Thread

Objectively, every aspect of this game is trash. Driving is boring. Monsters have like three different possible appearances. Shooting is terrible. Voice acting garbage, sound levels completely fucked and the tunes inappropriate in most places, and the graphics really are PS2 quality upscaled.

Yet all these things, when put together, becomes far more than what the sum of its parts should come to. It's one of the best survival horror games ever, and the love or whatever ineffable quality put into it made it into one of my all-time favourite games that I recommend to absolutely everyone because of it's story,.

Basically, play this game on switch or the 360 version through back compatibility on the series consoles.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I prefer castlevania sotn by a landslide.
It’s great too but Super Metroid is perfection in map design and general game design as far as I’m concerned.
I actually liked Metroid Dread a ton as well, a bit too much hand-holding for me to really threaten Super Metroid, 100% was done too fast, but it was my GOTY at the year it released, controls like a dream and the boss fights are up there as my absolute favorites.

For Castlevania games I really like Order of Ecclesia. Not talked about as much as SOTN but I thought it was more interesting.

GymWolf

It’s great too but Super Metroid is perfection in map design and general game design as far as I’m concerned.
I actually liked Metroid Dread a ton as well, a bit too much hand-holding for me to really threaten Super Metroid, 100% was done too fast, but it was my GOTY at the year it released, controls like a dream and the boss fights are up there as my absolute favorites.

For Castlevania games I really like Order of Ecclesia. Not talked about as much as SOTN but I thought it was more interesting.
On the other hand, sotn has way, WAY more content (bosses, weapons, armours, skills, mobs, secrets etc.) and i just prefer the gameplay in sotn.

Also I personally vastly prefer the art design of castlevania over metroid (characters, enemies, bosses, locations etc.) and to this day i still have to find a game with a better ost, only dk2 is close.

Nothing inside metroid shocked me like having another fucking castle to explore when you discover the inverted castle in sotn.

Last edited:
Top Bottom