• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where you acknowledge all the faults but you still love them.

mykiisubtle

Neo Member
Two games come to mind for me.

Gunvalkyrie - Xbox
A lot of people couldn't get with the controls (boost mapped to the thumbstick click). I thought it was fun despite that. It was challenging yes, but not super frustrating for me.

Phantom Crash - Xbox
Ooh this one. I thought this was a really fun game, despite the nonsensical story and irrelevant dialogue. There was a charm about it, to me. Fun mech combat. Customization. Good stuff.

Two games I would love to see some kind of updates to. Re-release/Remaster/New entry etc.

Arachnid

The bell maiden was an atrocity because they allowed players to kill her and not be able to be invaded. As a red phantom pvper...I felt like it diminished the range of players that I could invade/troll/ruin their day.

I also wished there was more Ninpo in Sekiro not like OP stuff but Sekiro seemed much more grounded as a ninja. The Taijutsu moves were cool but I felt like they had no purpose in boss fights. They should have had certain Taijutsu moves be a boss weakness to make player want to use them in boss battles. Otherwise they were just too risky with some of the longer animations.

PVP was my reason to keep playing after beating it a few times. I would go into an area and sometimes would have to wait a long time for queues...I imagine it was either From Software's janky net code or people were killing their Bell Maiden's first shot they got.

I never enjoyed Chalice Dungeons because it felt tacked on....then they just put weapons in there to forced people to do them. Don't even get me started on how stupid it was to try and co-op in the chalice dungeons.
Personally, I never had a problem with coop in the chalice dungeons, but I totally get the rest of your post since it's coming from the perspective of a PvP player. I kind of homed in on the singe player aspect. Thanks for all the clarification

EDIT: I also just realized I cooped the chalice dungeons with a friend which is super easy, so I'm assuming you mean matching with randos. I never actually tried that, but I'd imagine it's impossible since the chalice dungeons are uniquely generated per person?

Last edited:

GymWolf

FFXV

How much I loved that game.

It has its flaws, the open world it's not that open, you can't drive the car freely, mechanics adds up with barely no reason, towards the end it's a corridor.

But man, this game left me with a feel like Stand By Me (the movie) but with magic.
This opinion would be more acceptable if you still had your old avatar...

Zeypher

Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Bloated, slow ptogression to sell DLCs, sjw crap, but the best recreation of ancient Greece fully explorable.
Yup Its rare to get good sword n sandals rpg's or adventure games that are long. Ancient Greece was fun to explore in this game.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Oh boy, mass effect 1 is a mess, even with the technical stuff ironed out in the recent xollection, but it’s also one of my favorite games ever made. Same with donkey Kong 64, that game is janky, way to big for its own right, and down right tedious, but i still love it

nowhat

"Love" may be a too strong term, but Greedfall.

Sure, it's clearly AA budget, if even that. The levels, especially the buildings, are very much copy-and-paste. The character models and animations, ehh. The recorded voice lines, they can be very unintentionally hilarious. You can have a piece of dialogue where the person you're talking to is being very emotional/sad/furious/enamored and the next line is like "is there anything else you want to discuss?" in a complete neutral tone. The battle banter, there's one companion you really don't want with you. Because you'll get tired of that one line very, very quickly. Those who have played the game will know who I'm talking about. There's a huge lack of enemy variety.

But still, it's oddly endearing. The studio wanted to make an old-school BioWare game, and couldn't quite pull it off, but they tried, oh so hard. Not in a cynical way either. So I really can't fault them. Also a great soundtrack, way better than you'd expect from a game like that. So yeah. Me likey. Looking forward to the sequel.

God Hand. One of the best character action games ever made and easily the best single player game where you beat up goons barehanded.

Mikami got burned out on RE4 and all the compromises that go into a AAA game. And made a game with a small team and low budget that he wanted to make for himself, knowing full well it would never sell. And it shows.

The levels look like something from the ps1 era. The animations are janky. The difficulty is all over the place. And to top it all off the camera is locked over the shoulder because the right stick is for dodging which really turns people off. The whole thing seems amateurish.

But the combat is so perfectly tuned that you immediately forget everything wrong. And the difficulty system is so perfect for that type of game I’m shocked it’s never been copied. And the game has such a great sense of fun and (admittedly immature) humor that it’s impossible not to love. Honestly, I think it’s better than RE4 and stands as his magnum opus despite (or maybe because of) its flaws.

Last edited:
Dis you like the remake? I thought they improved the game in almost every way.
I’m not that person, but I can tell you my opinion. First off all, let me preface this with the fact that RE4make is one of my favorite games this year, beaten only by Amnesia: The Bunker. It’s an amazing game.

It’s not as good as the original. It’s a lot smoother off an experience so I think it will appeal to a much broader audience and does improve in some areas. But at the same time it’s a much more generic third person shooter than the original. It feels like RE4 meets Uncharted.

Things I prefer in the original: the laser sight on all the guns, no knife durability, no stupid side quests other than the one instance of the blue medallions, no half-assed stealth mechanics, no parry so learning how to move to avoid attacks feels more rewarding than just pushing a button, the inability to move and shoot made choosing when to shoot a more risk/reward decision, no stupid gatcha mechanic tied to the shooting galleries, the U-3 boss, Ashley either follows you or stays still (I really hate the close/far mechanic in the remake), various other great sections that were removed (gondola, flame room, etc.), no stupid day-one dlc including collectible treasures which modern capcom insists on shoving into all its games, the atmosphere of a B movie where you can tell the writers knew the plot was goofy as hell (Rescue the President’s daughter!), fun back-and-forth dialogue with the villains, and more atmospheric music.

The new one does some cool stuff though. The Ashley section is much, MUCH improved. I liked some of the exploration (the lake, going back through Ashley’s section as Leon). I thought the initial Garrador fight was really cool. Ammo is a bit more scarce so it leans more into resource management. No big difficulty spikes so you can just go through the game without much interruption.

It feels like a typical AAA shooter these days, which for a lot of people will make it better. But I prefer the uniqueness of the original, warts and all. And it’s not especially close for me.

Super Metroid too? I struggle to find anything big there.
I'd say the artstyle is not particularly great, while definitely okay for its time, but I perceive it as rather bad when some retro game mimicks exactly that and not eg. DKC which aged as well but not as much.
Any game that has no "i am a classic" excuse should look like Rayman or Ori or Deadlight or Guacamelee etc. But beside graphics and probably also audio, a Metroid Remake could otherwise be practically untouched.

270px-Mega_Man_8_capa.jpg

R6Rider

Gold Member
Battlefield 2042 fits this perfectly.

Still has plenty of issues, but I'd be lying if I didn't enjoy the hell out of if. 400+ hours and counting.

Hunt: Showdown on console is a technical mess and the controls are a pain in the ass with no Deadzone adjustments, custom key bindings or anything.

It's obviously inferior to the PC version.

It's also one of my favorite games of all time and I play constantly. It has MANY issues but good lord, the gunplay, insane difficulty and feeling of constant dread and danger is like crack.

Also, I LOVE the original Tomb Raider games. Lara controlling like a WWI tank and all. They've aged terribly I guess yet there's no other games like it and I dip in for a few levels to this day.

AndrewRyan

Here's a few I enjoy way more than the review scores would indicate:
RAGE
RAGE 2
Darksiders 3
The Ascent
In Death
CONTRA: Rouge Corps
RIVE
Resident Evil 6

Kings Field

Destiny

Game is currently a dumpster fire and was one this whole time, but I met a lot of cool people along the way and had the most fun in a “multiplayer” game.

Dark Souls 2

It’s considered the worst Souls game by many but still better than 95% of games out there. Still had that Souls charm that can’t be replicated by other companies.

Final Fantasy VIII is my favorite game of all time. It also has a highly unintuitive character progression system, a weak cast of villains, and some really dumb narrative choices (e.g. "HAY GUYZ WE GREW UP IN THE SAME ORPHANAGE BUT WE FORGOT CUZ GFS ATE OUR MEMORIES LOL").

But Triple Triad tho.

small_law

Destiny, and I mean the first year that game was out. I get that a lot of people didn't like harsh RNG and additional content was slow to arrive. But man vault of glass was so cool and so much fun. Guns were super great, powers and abilities were great, PVP was great. By the time the House of Wolves expansion came out in May 2015, Destiny had achieved perfection.

I mean every Friday at noon my friends would be sitting in orbit ready for trials. Every Friday.

Admittedly the narrative was light, but I was glad Bungie didn't over explain the bewildering hell out of the state of the world and left an air of mystery to it.

No era of destiny 2 has even come close to that first year of destiny. This year is particularly bad. I haven't ranted about Lightfall yet, but it's pretty terrible. It a story that explains nothing and goes nowhere and characters that are thinly veiled hideous stereotypes.

dottme

lost-odyssey.jpg

Lost Odyssey. It’s slow to start and it might be needing some long time to kill monster just to increase your level.
but the story was so good that it’s still one of my favorite.

chlorate

Mega Man 2 on Game Boy. The level design is often better than the NES equivalents. The soundtrack, which is 100% new and different from the NES version, is frequently hated for being ear-splittingly off-key, but it is glitched because the game was so rushed and various fan remixes of it are actually really good.

It feels like a typical AAA shooter these days, which for a lot of people will make it better.
Don’t tell any friends this. I’ve seen people I know and shooter streamers new to RE try to play RE4 like a shooter and literally hit a wall extremely soon after starting the game, or at worse, struggle way, way more playing it like a shooter.

The remake still wants you to conserve ammo a bit and use the stun and kick method, just with an added knife moveset. The only parts of the gameplay loop that feels more like a shooter is how it feels moving while aiming and the camera not being locked to Leon’s turning.

Aside from that the gameplay feel and gameplay loop are too unique and too Capcom to be interchangeable with other shooters.

Neon Xenon

There are a few games with faults that I still love that I could mention, but without a doubt, Vagrant Story is the first one that comes to mind.

829bbb6b-be2b-4b96-95c5-3e1b46e0adcb.jpg

Obtuse in parts, a confusing weapon system that will make you look up a guide, inventory management that turns ponderous when slow saving and loading is involved, weapon management that can get tedious when repeatedly heading into a menu to swap to what's needed at the time (feels like camouflage swapping in MGS3, you either tolerate it or don't) and added difficulty on top of the already present difficulty if you can't get ahold of the weapon system and what's required of you.

And yet...Stellar presentation thanks to the gorgeous visuals all around that still hold up given the hardware, fantastic soundtrack by Hitoshi Sakimoto (apparently heavily influenced by Mark Snow's work on The X-Files, a moody atmosphere that easily hooks you in and remains with you long after clearing the game, and gameplay that can stick with you all to the end and beyond once you get over the learning curve. This isn't to say that these high points are enough for me to forget Vagrant Story's clear issues, rather that I do acknowledge the issues and that Vagrant Story remains a top PS1 game -- hell, it's a personal Top Game of All Time for me -- in spite of those problems.

I want to point out a some translated Vagrant Story interviews by Shmuplations (great site with a lot more translated material to check out in relation to other games) that made me appreciate the game even more. Well worth a read if you're even curious about it. https://shmuplations.com/vagrantstory/

Killer8

Dark Souls 2.

"But but but the world is logically inconsistent, you can't have a lava section at the top of a towe-" shut the fuck up I don't care, the game was a lot of fun especially PvP. I look back on it more fondly than Dark Souls 3.

Three

I'm surprised Skyrim isn't in every post. That would be one for me.
Currently playing through HFW and found flaws but I still love the game.
The flaws:
  • Had a mission dialog trigger when I haven't even met the person it mentioned. It's like they want you to explore but do things in the order too.
  • Cliff edge weapon range. I get that it's a gameplay mechanic to stop people cheesing the game but there should at least be some indication that what you're aiming at isn't within range. just get z-buffer info on one pixel and change the reticle colour to faded at least. Would help so much. I've wasted so many arrows trying to shoot something then having to walk a few steps forward to shoot again for it to work. There is no depth perception in a pancake game and dinobots vary so much in size it's difficult to estimate distances when trying to scan or shoot something.

tommolb

Mass Effect Andromeda. I bought it at release, but was put off by all the negativity and played it about 18 months later with all the patches. I actually enjoyed it and completed it, whilst recognising it was a shadow of the Mass Effect series. I would have liked to have seen DLC and a sequel to this game.

Last edited:
Resident Evil 5.
It's my favorite one in the series, and it's on my top 10.

And you can throw every criticism at it imaginable, and I will assist-combo that with you :messenger_beaming: Will fully agree with you.

Vandole

I love L.A. Noire.

Yes the interrogation system makes absolutely no sense at times. Some suspects have tails that are nothing short of painfully obvious. The open world is a sprawling city that remarkably has almost nothing going on in it. Cole is an asshole. And I don't care about any of that, because I love it so much.

Just on setting alone, I would give that game a 7 out of 10. The characters are great. And when the cases actually go smoothly (the early ones in fact do), you feel like a genius while you play.

Astral Dog

Resident Evil Zero
Devil May Cry 4
Zelda the Wind Waker and Skyward Sword(depending on who you ask,but SS controls are indeed awkward)
The New Super Mario Bros series

However i still believe the above are high quality games,they just have flaws within their respective circle

Top Bottom