• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with Beautiful Futuristic Settings

I have been on a real future kick lately, trying to find anything to play with this kind of setting. Can anyone list more games that are similar to these.

First off is Remember Me, it had ok gameplay...but some of the settings were absolutely gorgeous.

sjtTiXV.jpg

Another one that I really enjoy is Mass Effect. While a lot of the settings were far from beautiful, the citadel always does it for me. It is just so crisp and clean looking, my favorite type of vision for a futuristic setting.

6BNqSt0.jpg

Last up is Killzone Shadowfall. While it is definitely not anything special. The settings, especially in city portions, were fantastic. Just wish you could explore more

E6xzVhR.jpg

Anyone know of any other beautiful futuristic video games? It doesnt really have to be exactly like these...just games set in the future that you think are gorgeous

Toxi

Banned
Sanctuary Fortress from Metroid Prime 2 is like Tron screwed a robot on acid, and it's beautiful. There's a sense of life because you see light and color and shapes and motion everywhere you look. I can't imagine ever wanting to live there, but it certainly would make an amazing amusement park.

Sanctuary_magnetic_rail_puzzle.png

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Deus Ex is an obvious one.

Also Monolith's TRON 2.0 has recently become available on Steam. I think it still holds up pretty well, plus there are lots of mods and texture updates for it online.

injurai

Banned
Maybe it's cheating but Rapture and Columbia from Bioshock. They are both futurist with respect to their time periods. In more than a few ways they transcend even modern technologies.

HTupolev

Halo 3: ODST's New Mombasa is a great futuristic city, even if the overworld maybe could benefit from a bit more production.

UgdkdCl.jpg

Esthar from Final Fantasy VIII. Particularly because it just came out of nowhere in a world filled with more typically modern locations, the difference really helped prove why it was once a global superpower.

EstharStadt_Panorama.jpg

Warablo

I was gonna say Remember Me, Deus Ex, Mass Effect, and Syndicate, but people already have that covered.

I think some other ones are Destiny (outside the tower), and parts in Binary Domain, Portal, Mirrors Edge (is that futuristic?)

EDIT: ^^Enslaved is a good one

Blizzard

Banned
I sure hope the people who worked on Remember Me's art and visual design found jobs when that studio closed down or whatnot. It may have been a mediocre game, but some people on the team REALLY knew what they were doing.

I sure hope the people who worked on Remember Me's art and visual design found jobs when that studio closed down or whatnot. It may have been a mediocre game, but some people on the team REALLY knew what they were doing.
They're the guys who make Life Is Strange, their studio (Dontnod) is still hitting home runs :)

obin_gam

I feel CDPR will do for future settings with Cyberpunk what The Witcher has done for fantasy setttings.

As long as it's releasing...

Blizzard

Banned
They're the guys who make Life Is Strange, their studio (Dontnod) is still hitting home runs :)
Whoops, I stand corrected. From Wikipedia:

On 31 January 2014, French media outlets and gaming websites reported that Dontnod was filing for bankruptcy as a result of the poor sales of Remember Me. Dontnod responded to these reports explaining that the developer was in the process of "judicial reorganization".[1][7][8] The company turned to public funding to finance a new intellectual property called What If? as a result of this.[9]
Good that bankruptcy wasn't the end for them.

Blizzard

Banned
I believe it takes place in California. Usually Cyberpunk depicts east coast cities or Asian cities. But cyberpunk LA, San Fran, etc. will be an interesting take.
I'm probably just drawing a blank, but what cyberpunk focuses on east coast cities? Snowcrash was one of the first things that came to mind, and it's west coast U.S. if I recall correctly.

The movie Blade Runner was set in Los Angeles, too.

Pooya

Remember Me has fantastic looking indoors too, some really nice decoration. I never got tired of looking at things. A game like GTA in a setting like that is my dream game :\ vertical cities, flying cars and freedom to do whatever you want.

Like many others, Remember Me was my immediate thought after seeing the title. Man, I would really love a sequel to that game but open-world and with a more robust plot. Also Vanquish and Enslaved (both of those especially need sequels; loved Enslaved's ending).

Came to post Remember Me... reads OP, my work is done here.

Is there any chance we'll see a sequel?

I'm hoping that if Season 1 of Life is Strange does well, which it seems to be doing, they'll make a Remember Me sequel. I recall an interview where they say they have the plot already and were waiting for Capcom's go ahead - maybe they'll finally let it go ahead or DontNod will find a new publisher? One can hope at least; I replay it every now and then because I really enjoy it.

wouwie

When i read the thread title, first thing i thought about was Remember me. When i opened the thread, first thing i saw was a Remember me screenshot :) Setting wise, one of my favourite games for sure. I'd love to see this setting used for an (episodic) sci-fi adventure from Dontnod.

I'd also like to mention some of the settings in Ratchet & Clank (Metropolis) and Enslaved.

The wealth gap here is actually a literal geological formation.

That's what makes it mighty interesting. They haven't really tackled an overt rich people VS poor people storyline since FFVII and even then this looks way more realistic. I continue to hope they do something with Agni's Philosophy, if not mainline then at least a spin-off series.

Top Bottom