• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you didn't play because of their art style

Silky

Banned
I'm getting tired of most pixel/sprite-based games because they lack creativity with their pixel/sprites. But stuff like Super Time Force is something that really appeal to me.

I love extremely detailed sprites. something that gives life in every frame.

I can't remember the name of the game, but some Indie "Deus-Ex like" game on Steam, which actually seemed pretty good but looked so god damn aweful my eyes blead everytime I looked at a screenshot. Screenshot? More like screenshit

Consortium?
ss_f195e1ee570758d95a4bad998df836dd10c2f28d.1920x1080.jpg

I have a hard time looking at a lot of anime looking(hyper-vague term but you get me) games. It won't stop me from playing a good game like the Persona series or Gravity Rush, but it puts me off those middling games that probably aren't worth playing all the way through but they do something interesting enough to warrant experiencing.

Another thing that really puts me off MMO's is the default HUD, I know they usually be reskinned and they preform the function required of them, but man, they sure do look like hot street garbage a lot of the time.

Dr. Buni

Any game full of lolis like Ar Tonelico, Atelier Whatever, etc is a no in my book.

Actually, allow me to be a bit more specific: If it isn't a Nintendo, Capcom or Atlus game, chances are that I am not playing a game with anime art style.

RocBase

blazblue and street fighter x tekken
or any of that "cutesy" doe eyed dot nose shit, which is just a huge no go for me. if it's one or two characters that's fine, but if everyone looks like that and it's plastered all over the cover like ive seen a few times (never took in the names of the games), i'll just pass

I'm glad I'm not the only person who hates this art style. I mean I'll play it but I really dislike the art.

you are def not alone. truly an ugly looking game, although it was tolerable. sf x tekken on the other hand just amped the ugly right up with the sharp contrast, glossy filters and extra brown, so much that it actually made it a problem for me to watch streams before it was even released

hope sfv completely ditches that art direction and goes with something akin to mvc3. crazy how so much better the sf guys look in that game

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Yeah, i love hack slash and Metroidvanias, but i couldn't get over Dust's whole presentation.

MisterHero

Batman Arkham games.

They took visual elements from Schumacher Batman and tried to make it super serious and gritty. Some of the comics are like that but I tend to not like those either.

To be fair I only played Arkham Asylum. It was fun but the character design annoyed me so much.

phanphare

Banned
Anything going for photorealism. So, basically, most Western developed modern games. Give me cartoony, give me comic book style, give me anime, give me something tough to categorize! But give me something that looks like it could exist outside my window and you lose my interest.

same here

You know, a game in a genre that you would have normally been interested in, if you didn't find the art style so off-putting.

One example that comes to mind immediately is Dust: An Elysian Tail.

I was interested in this after hearing it was an entirely hand-drawn 2D brawler, and it got high praise from Giant Bomb, too, but good God, that is some of the ugliest artwork I've ever seen in my life. I can't look at the characters in that game without wanting to throw up. It's like it came straight from a Deviantart page. I still haven't played the game, simply because I had such a negative reaction to its art. Yeah, it's shallow. Yes, it's irrational. Maybe there is a good game underneath the bad art. But I can't bring myself to play a game that makes me cringe just looking at it. Maybe someday, though.

Have you ever experienced this, GAF?

Look on the bright side. You're definitely not a furry.

For me, I really can't stand the burly, uber-muscled gruff dudes. Basically, Gears of War proportioned characters outside of Gears of War. The latest Batman and Castlevanias are good examples of this type of character design. I played Arkham Asylum, and played the opening of Arkham City with Catwoman, but couldn't bring myself to keep going as Bruce because he just looks so ridiculous. That said, I didn't have an issue with Chris from Resi 5, there's just something about those Unreal Engine character models that bugs me.

Krejlooc

Banned
Final Fantasy IX. Supposedly it's the perfect game for me, as it's a send beck to the classics. I'm pretty mild on VII and I hate VIII and X. I just look at the characters, and go blegh.

To be fair, they look like pretty bad reboot rejects in CGI, but in-game they just come off as typical Square chibi characters.

moozoom

Most modern western rpgs, like oblivion, skyrim, mass effect... I find the art direction uninspired and bland. I generally don´t like pseudo-realistic artsyles, and usually the animation is really bad too. The witcher is the exception.

I can't stand Batman arkham games either.

genericiz3d

Neo Member
Dust, first and foremost.

But I purposely held off playing Velocity Ultra on my Vita because of the self-proclaimed "anime-inspired art style". Same goes for Blazblue, Skullgirls, Persona... yucky.

balgajo

Wind Waker.
I really like the game artstyle(ww hd is one of the most beautiful games out there), but not for Zelda.
But after 6 years I decided to give it a try. Even though, in my opinion, it's the weakest 3D Zelda, it's a very good game.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Final Fantasy IX. Supposedly it's the perfect game for me, as it's a send beck to the classics. I'm pretty mild on VII and I hate VIII and X. I just look at the characters, and go blegh.

Hey, Vivi is the best design in the history of designs.

Servbot24

Banned
All Bioware games.

I know some people don't get into JRPGs because of the anime... but many American RPG character designs are absolutely grotesque looking, even (perhaps especially) the ones that are supposed to look attractive.

DJ_Lae

Dust for sure.

I've played the games so they don't entirely qualify, but the art styles for the recent Mortal Kombat games (especially the females) and the Disgaea games are absolutely disgusting to me.

Disgaea for similar reasons to Dust.

JRPGs with the cute anime art styles. They just look kinda childish, and whilst I'm fairly sure they are complex and decent games, they just don't appeal to me at all.

Final Fantasy games are the best example I can think of. I love a good RPG, but it just doesn't interest me.

Really? I feel like Final Fantasy is on the more tame side of JRPGs in terms of having "cute anime art styles". The character in my picture for example looks nothing like the art style of any FF game I can think of.

The GAFfer who made Dust is going to be crying after reading this thread

I don't know, when you combine furries with anime-ish art, the worst of two worlds for a lot I'm sure, I bet he knew what he was getting into.

YES! I honestly feel a bit bad cause I heard good things but my god, does this game look aweful. I don't even know what it is, but it just looks repulsive to me

I think the art direction is really offputting. A combination of a horrible color palette, bad character designs and bland environments.

I agree with Injustice, ugly as hell female character models. But i didnt stop playing it for that reason, i just don't really like the game.

TheLastTankMage

Neo Member

I feel the same, by all accounts I should love FF9 ... but I just can't stand the art and it takes me right out of the game.

My entry is probably controversial but ...

Donkey_Kong_Country_Shot_2.png

For some reason I just really dislike the look of Donkey Kong Country games and it always kept me from liking them. I know they are super popular though and I have nothing bad to say about it despite my personal dislike for it's aesthetic.

Harlequin

The entire GTA series. Although the art style is only one of many things which keep me from playing them.

Also, I Am Alive. The game seems interesting but it just looks so horribly drab and washed out.

OmegaDL50

Vandal Hearts : Flames of Judgement

After the awesome 2D sprites in the Vandal Hearts 1 and 2 and to resort to this mediocrity.
vh6.jpg

score01

Darksiders. Just couldn't get into the game. The look just put me off. The guy felt like some sort of a midget. (No offence to our midget brethren).

Razlo

Usually this doesn't happen for me, but DOA5 did this.

I loved the previous games, but making the characters go from looking anime-ish in the previous games, to some weird uncanny valley more realistic look in 5 just bummed me out to the point that I couldn't play it.

Dust looks absolutely horrible. No contest on that one.

Noogy is a cool guy with tough skin, he'll be fine. I'm also put off by Dust's art style but I think it's awesome that he stuck by his guns and made the game he wanted to make despite people (including myself) be vocal about their dislike for it. Then the game came out and was awesome and shut a lot of people up for dismissing it as "the furry game".

Kriken

Borderland and Gears of War are some examples where I own the games, but their art gives me no interest in playing them. Gears because it's so bland and depressing to look at and Borderlands b/c I just don't like that style of cel shading.

As for Dust, it does have a weird offputting art style, but the game mechanics more than made up for it for me.

Top Bottom