• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you've played through so many times they're basically muscle memory now

psyfi

Banned
There've been a few games where I can operate on sheer muscle memory in multiplayer, too. I blank out for minutes at a time and then realize I'm ten kills ahead, etc. Halo Reach and Overwatch especially.

Does a series count? If so, Monster Hunter series. I have timing and muscle memory for hammer & charge blade weapons, cause I've been playing since MHF2.

I'd have to say Kirby Super Star and Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest for the SNES. Those games have been eternally ingrained into my mind from the sheer amount of times I've played them as a kid. I still go through both of 'em around twice a year. It's never really gotten old. I should try a blindfolded run sometime.

Eblo

I can play the Genesis Sonic games, Kingdom Hearts 2, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask without even being conscious. Probably.

darklin0

Banned
Over 1k hours of TF2 and Demoman was my favorite character. I had his mechanics down to a tee.

Then I played Junkrat on Overwatch and it was glorious.

brad-pitt.gif

That muscle memory never left me man.

guyssorry

Every post-NES/non-DS Zelda game.

Dark Souls 1 and 2, Demon's Souls

Most Mario games

Final Fantasy 4, 6

Chrono Trigger

Others that I cannot remember atm

LiamExe

The original Abe's Oddysee. At least, the beginning section, Rupture Farms. Whenever I feel the urge, I boot up the game and go about systematically rescuing all of the mudokons in that area pretty much on autopilot. There's almost something soothing and comforting about it, since it was one of the first games I played as a kid, too.

Mega Man 2, Ninja Gaiden, Mario 3, Metroid.

Mostly old simple games, and FPSs, as they're simply placing a face in the middle of my screen.

Metroid Prime for sure; if nothing else, it's the game I've played start to finish the most.

I recently got my completion time down under 2 hours (in-game clock), which isn't that fast (considering the WR is something like 53 minutes), but I felt good getting it!

Also recently, I managed a Varia-less Magmoor run which is basically the worst thing to do while learning the advanced movement in that game. It led to this nice screenshot, though!

Some very loose definitions of 'muscle memory in this thread. Think the closest I have come must be in a Tony Hawk game where I would be restarting over and over to get the perfect run, and my fingers would just dance over the controller.

Werd

Mass Effect 1 and Halo 1 are the decent length campaigns I've played the most times (~5), but I wouldn't really say that about them.

If multiplayer counts when I play Starcraft 2 I almost always do a default macro build so the opening several minutes are virtually identical build orders as well as setting unit/building/camera hotkeys.

The closest thing to actual muscle memory that comes to mind would be something like the tule tree hidden orb in Guacamelee that I'd get to a screen died dozens of times in a row on and could eventually do parts without really looking.

Brofield

Starfox Adventures, Paper Mario: TTYD and Luigi's Mansion

I don't even know WHY those games I've committed to memory, but those ones are the best kind of no challenge given but I'll play through them in a single day of gaming with no breaks if I can get away with it.

Mr.Fresh

I used to be able to say this about FF7 & 9 and also KH1 & 2 buts it's been sooo long since ive played them I probly won't remember now. This makes me want to buy the PS4 Version of FF7.

psyfi

Banned
Metroid Prime for sure; if nothing else, it's the game I've played start to finish the most.

I recently got my completion time down under 2 hours (in-game clock), which isn't that fast (considering the WR is something like 53 minutes), but I felt good getting it!

Also recently, I managed a Varia-less Magmoor run which is basically the worst thing to do while learning the advanced movement in that game. It led to this nice screenshot, though!
Whoa, that's seriously impressive.

televator

Zelda OoT

I used to do yearly playthroughs after its release. I say it's the basis for my grasp of all 3rd person action games with full analog control.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Counter-Strike for starters. You just never forget the AK recoil. It's part of my DNA now...

more recently for me - Dragon's Dogma. I don't even register the missions anymore it's just burning through the standard game while having conversations with the kid and talking about different hair styles.

Dead Or Alive 2: Hardcore - I legit beat people with my eyes closed/half asleep

The Last of Us - especially factions. It's positioning and back and forth and getting clipped by a molly and then all of a sudden you get the right ammo and the right line through the level and I might as well be cooking dinner or driving to work. Walk - aim - slide - shoot - walk - aim - slide - shoot... headshots... headshots everywhere.

edit: Bloodborne. So much Bloodborne. I think i realized it was chiselled into my brain when I made a magic only character and had to run for the Augr and A Call Beyond and I had both of them within a few hours and was massively underleveled when I finally came up for air and started putting points into stats. Was definitely a good feeling knowing i had trounced so many eldritch horrors with relative ease and almost no leveling up.

Dead Space 2. After four/five playthroughs + Hard Core mode, I know that game like the back of my hand. I'm actually doing my sixth playthrough (Zealot mode) on PC and it's pretty much a cakewalk since I'm so familiar with all the enemy spawns.

WITHE1982

Silent Hill 2 on the PS2: Must be 40 times over the years. I know every section by heart and can almost lip sync along with the dialogue.

Flashback on the Mega Drive: One of my favourite games as a kid. Must have played it at least 30 times. You can easily run through it in under 6 hours or so (a lot less if you wall glitch).

Mass effect 1 and bioshock for me. Started the collection last night. Got most way through bioshock without skipping a beat And i havent played it in like seven years

Aliens versus predator classic
I started playing when it came out in 99 and it was pretty much the only game I played on pc for years

Jyrii

Banned
Nothing recently but on WipEout the hours and hours trying to get the Beat Zico trophy burned into my muscle memory.

Got it in the end

Super Mario Bros (Nes)
The Legend of Zelda (Nes)
Super Mario World (Snes)
Resident Evil (Psx) (no ribbon knife runs FTW)
Mario 64 (N64)
Wave Race 64 (N64)
Halo Combat Evolved (Xbox)
Destiny (PS4)

Kaztinka

Arkham City
Finished that shit like 10 times or something
I have almost all the available versions (except for the Wii U)

Dark Souls 1 & 2 & Bloodborne too

DMC4

Black ops 1 multiplayer I guess...

FIFA and PES. If someone asked me how to play them I'd struggle to explain. I've been playing them so long it just happens for me.

I had this with Bloodborne too and it made playing DS3 interesting. I died a few times from instinctively trying to attack to regain health, and pressing triangle to heal up.

Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 I have to play them with self imposed ironman no reloading if I die its game over to have any kind of challenge.

Ditto, I play these pretty much the same way. Also if NPCs die, they get to be worm food where they dropped as well. Especially in Baldur's Gate 1. This ensures that my party is at least somewhat based upon chance.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Dark Souls. After 17 playthroughs, I can just about map out every area, enemy, NPC, and pickup in my head.

vato_loco

Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Final Fantasy VII. Not-so-muscle Memory is Resident Evil 2, Parasite Eve and Valkyria Chronicles.

Man, so many amazing games in my lifetime...

Top Bottom