• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you've played through so many times they're basically muscle memory now

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Happened a lot in games from my childhood that I replayed countless times so I knew all the levels and enemy spawns by heart and would just play through flawlessly like a machine. More recently it really only applies to extremely difficult levels of games that need to be played perfectly to succeed.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: the Arcade Game
Power Blade
Ocarina of Time
Star Fox 64

More recently Perfect Dark XBLA. Played through on Perfect Agent. I know all the objectives and enemy spawns. I get really thrown off on easier difficulties when my autopilot tries to take me to an objective that doesn't exist

Kazooie

Banned
Banjo Kazooie, can easily 100% the game at a relaxed pace in 5 hours. Know where every note, jiggy, jinjo and cheato is by heart. Never tried a true speed run but have completed this game more than any other. It's like slipping in to some well worn boots.

Feel the same way about a few N64 games and usually do a couple of play throughs a year.

I've never gotten to that point with any game.

Maybe close with halo 1.

But I swear, my buddy could damn near speed run resident evil 1 blind folded.

Mihos

Gold Member
Streets of Rage 2
Mike Tysons Punch Out
SSX Tricky

I still play one of those almost every week.

Tekken 5
MW3

At one point in time mario 3 really badly. Mom made me stop playing for a while because according to her she saw me "playing" in my sleep. Was fast asleep making the motions in bed with my hands. Some people sleepwalk, I sleep play videogames.

Wave Race Blue Storm!

My best buddy and me were playing the shit out of this game! Three weeks ago, many years later, I fetched me my good old GC from the basement and hooked it up on my setup. Buddy and me grabbed the controllers, announcer counted down from three: "Say, do you remember how to play?" "No, uhm... which button does what?" "I have no idea." "GO!!"

We raced the waves like no time has passed.

yyr

I can do the beam section of the Quick Man stage in Mega Man 2 fairly automatically. But even though I've been playing games for over 30 years, that's pretty much all I've got as far as muscle memory.

Well, okay, maybe some Dance Dance Revolution charts.

Alright, a LOT of DDR charts.

If you asked me to play MAX300 with my eyes closed, I wouldn't expect to pass it, but I wouldn't be shocked if I succeeded.

Zeneric

Used to be Halo CE on legendary diff, co-op mode with my old buddy, OG Xbox. Replayed it like twice, or thrice everyday for months. Sometimes didn't die once the whole game. That was over a decade ago when PS2, OG Xbox and Gamecube dominated the console gaming market. Then I moved out and haven't touched for many years till months ago. When I got to replay it again for real recently (PC version) I was rusty as fuck, I kept dying.

Obviously Halo CE is my top 3 favorite games of all time.

....installing Halo CE.

Peltz

I can beat Starfox 64 in my sleep. I probably know every single placement of every item, enemy, and piece of dialogue in that game.

foppy79

Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Replay it nearly once every 3 months

New Super Mario bros. Wii
9-7 9-7 9-7 9-7 9-7

Sonic Generations. Just replayed for the first time in over a year and broke my record on chemical plant act 2 after one test run to see how broken my 360 controller is

Used to be Halo CE on legendary diff, co-op mode with my old buddy, OG Xbox. Replayed it like twice, or thrice everyday for months. Sometimes didn't die once the whole game. That was over a decade ago when PS2, OG Xbox and Gamecube dominated the console gaming market. Then I moved out and haven't touched for many years till months ago. When I got to replay it again for real recently (PC version) I was rusty as fuck, I kept dying.

Obviously Halo CE is my top 3 favorite games of all time.

....installing Halo CE.

Halo 1 is my answer also. There's no other game in which I can remember the levels in such detail.

redcrayon

NES: Megaman 3
SNES: Megaman X, Super Probotector, Super Mario World, Zelda LTTP, Castlevania IV.
Megadrive: Streets of Rage 2
Game Boy:
Megaman V, Zelda LA, Bionic Commando.
N64: Zelda OOT, Lylat Wars, MK64
PS One: Front Mission 3

Most of those I still play on a semi-regular basis now. It's been a long time since a new game had me replaying stuff over and over again, due to a mix of vastly more choice, vastly less time, being able to afford to play whatever I choose in that time and also action games being much longer on average these days.

I like to replay the action games I can play start-to-finish in an afternoon, although my tastes in new games lean more towards lengthy RPGs and dungeon crawlers now.

Battjmo

Neo Member
Suikoden (see Avatar)
Sid Meier's Pirates! Gold (Genesis, by far the best version)
Fallout 2 (Straight on through the darkness to San Francisco, thence to the docks and that one person with the gauss rifle to steal, dear friends.)
The World Ends With You
Threes

Presently playing the latter two almost daily, as my iPad and phone fixes respectively.

silva1991

Dark Souls 1
Bloodborne
Bayonetta 1(except for some hearts locations)

I mean the souls games have countless items so, maybe there are some that I won't remember, but overall I remember the vast majority of those games.

Dark Souls and MGS3

Also probably Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, but it's been a while since I've picked it up. The other two I replay at least once ever year.

Top Bottom