• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesIndustry.biz: Where are the Xbox One's exclusives?

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm not sure what it is exactly about Scalebound's cancellation that caused everybody to have meltdowns and decide now is the time to naval gaze about the xbox platform as a whole, but the exclusive slate has not substantially changed since 3 months ago. The last thread I remember reading about it seemed to be like 60/40 split as to whether it looked horrible or decent, in favor of the former.

By my reckoning, what the Microsoft slate is missing is one or two high profile, story driven prestige projects. Halo used to be this, but the industry's tastes changed and people aren't as excited about such an old franchise. What people seem to go gaga over come E3 are story driven games with great graphics. Ultimately, when people say "Xbox has no games" what it's really code for is "there is nothing in the same niche as Uncharted / Tlou / that new cinematic looking god of war". There is nothing blowing people away with animation quality that looks like it's going to make critics cry come awards season. Because in terms of games, there's definitely stuff coming out, the latest Gears was well received, the last Halo was well received, the Forzas continue to do well every year, there's some MMO water thing coming out, people are for some reason excited about Crackdown (if it ever ships), there's even a fucking RTS coming out. When was the last time there was a big console RTS? But even going back a year or two, the only thing filling that niche, the one that gets people hyped, was a timed exclusive that just pissed most people off rather than getting them excited about the platform.

With Scorpio coming out, I think it's plausible that they're holding one or two cards close to their chest to act as "Scorpio launch titles", which will probably run a bit crummy on vanilla XBO but look stunning on Scorpio. But I doubt there's going to be much in the way of new AAA action adventure franchises with a strong narrative focus. I don't know if the Xbox team considers anything like that to be an actual high priority. There's definitely going to be new first and third person shooters, there's definitely going to be racing games, there's going to be fighting games. And they'll all be well reviewed, but for the most part the people here won't care much, because it's all pretty passé.
So much right in this one👍

Bgamer90

Banned
The thing is that alot of people was really hyped for what a Halo/Forza/Gears was gonna play and look like on the new console, now that they have seen it and played it, I think most gamers want something new and fresh, thats why Scalebound was so important for those gamers, it representanted MS taking a chance on a new story driven AAA game. The titles coming this year is more of the same expect a few titles. Considering MS have burnt so many bridges with third party devs, both in Phils statements and projects stopped, I think many have started raising questions on MS commitment for taking risks on new ips and exclusives. After PSX Sony raised the concern for more xbox gamers, even saw some of the most diehard fanboys on Youtube raising doubt on MS commitment. I think its a valid concern and E3 will be very important for MS to win back some of the lost confidence they has lost among some gamers.

This is a solid point. There has been a current gen release for all "MS big three" series now that we're past the release of Gears of War 4.

They definitely need to bring it at E3 this year and give a clearer picture for what's coming in 2018. If they have to rely on digital titles to give the console more diversity, with those titles then hopefully becoming "AA-like" retail releases and growing into new franchises like Ori then so be it. I don't see anything wrong with that at all. More games are more games regardless of how they are distributed.

Xbox One is Microsoft's "windows 10 gaming pc thingy".

That graph that said that 3% of the devs were developing Switch games showed that Scorpio was roughly on par with PS4, so games are coming, nothing to worry about there.
But MS needs exclusives. Many of us are PC gamers too and there are few reasons why any of us need a XB1 today. This thing about spreading out the Xbox exclusives to PC help the Win10 PC platform and kill the Xbox platform. I don't get the reasoning behind this. It's like they sacrifice the Xbox just to increase Win 10 usage.

Most people own 1 platform and aren't enthusiasts which have several. It's also why you see so much console warring and defensive fanboys. They don't want to pay 2 or so subs just to get online on all of them every year so they serve to lock people in these days.

For these people, a console like the ps4 or xbox one will do. So when the scorpio comes out, some will likely purchase it to get the best version of call of duty and what not. The ps4 was really popular because it had slightly higher res AND was 100 dollars cheaper so it obviously snowballed. Who would pay 100 dollar more for a weaker system with negative pr? Only the most loyal fans, people who must love xbox franchises or uninformed individuals. At launch I'd argue the xbox one had the better lineup but it didn't mean anything next to price/power. Imo, things will get more interesting if MS hits that 400 dollar price range but sony will likely lower their price as well so you gotta factor that in too. PC gaming is even deeper in the enthusiast area since the best way you'll match a console is by researching parts and building one yourself and not everyone will do that. It gets no advertising or marketing as well like consoles do consistently.

So games being on windows 10 or whatever doesn't mean anything to those guys since someone that wants to play say forza won't be able to do so having a ps4/pro alone and is looking into consoles only.

I guess we'll see.

Melchiah

I think this is only true for big money deals ala tomb raider.
Sony will continue to have a lot of third party exclusive from Japan because most don't feel it's worth the effort to develop for both. Maybe if Xbox went to most of them and offers extensive help for localization(because to be honest that's the only reason to try encouraging a Xbox version anyway) they might change that.

I imagine some of them will end up on Switch as well, if it becomes a popular platform in Japan.

The strong impression is that third parties have largely abandoned Xbox One as a platform worth launching exclusive games on

As a non-Xbox owner I find this reassuring, since it means the 3rd party timed exclusives won't be as common as they were last gen. The same goes for not being able to enforce the indie parity clause to the same extent as before. That's why the first half of last gen wasn't that good for those who didn't play on the 360.

Purest 78

It's similar to saying Xbox is only Forza/Gears/Halo. There's more outside of that.

It honestly isn't true. Xbox One has a library of titles in pretty much every genre outside of JRPGs and sports that aren't available on Nintendo or PlayStation.

Yes it is True Ps4 line up is far more Diverse. Only genre X1 has the edge is Racing Forza is annual so that would explain it.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yes it is True Ps4 line up is far more Diverse. Only genre X1 has the edge is Racing Forza is annual so that would explain it.

I was commenting on the Xbox One lacking game diversity, not whether or not the PlayStation has more diversity.

As I said in my post, the Xbox One has titles for pretty much every genre outside of JRPG and Sports that aren't available on Nintendo and PlayStation. Racing, action-adventure, FPS, TPS, platformer, fighter, RTS, etc.

Far more diverse in what sense? Set the range, please. List genres.

Sure, a list war is exactly what this thread needs right now.

Please don't

Concering ThoseDeafMutes post, one ace is obviously Forza 7. The other one is probably Crackdown 3. At least nothing we heard so far indicates that any studio is working on something "big" (and ready to launch on 2017) which has no "Gears" or "Halo" in its title.

The other thing is, while I agree that games like SoT and Forza will be super well received, they don't play in the same ballpark like Gears and Forza. Not even close. Without a proper Halo or Gears (or any title which comes close to them sales-wise) MS seems to rely on Scorpio's sheer power as its major sales driver. At least for 2017, that is.

Sony fucked up royally with the PS3 and had to learn a very painful lesson. Powerful hardware will only get you so far, good software is what sells systems. Sony had no choice but to ramp up their first party output and quality.

Microsoft haven't acknowledged this yet. They simply coasted to success with the 360 on the back of third parties making the 360 versions of games more polished than the PS3 offerings.

So going into the Xbone launch Microsoft thought it would be business as usual like the 360 generation. They didn't pay much attention to diversifying their first party output because they expected third parties to fill the gap again. The Xbone launch didn't go as intended. Third parties quickly realised they could sell more units on PS4 and are reluctant to build Xbox exclusives.

So Microsoft are left with their existing franchises that are looking ever more tired. Not only this but they have no idea how to fill the third party void themselves with new content. So they are going back to the well once more to ressurect even older franchises such as Killer Instinct and Crackdown. Updating old classics is less risky than new properties.

They're already out of ideas. Knowing how long software takes to write they have very little up their sleeves for the Scorpio launch.

With Microsoft obviously tightening the purse strings it's not looking good for the Xbox division unless they can pull some as yet unannounced rabbits out of the hat.

Interesting times.

Figments

Sure, a list war is exactly what this thread needs right now.

Please don't

Concering ThoseDeafMutes post, one ace is obviously Forza 7. The other one is probably Crackdown 3. At least nothing we heard so far indicates that any studio is working on something "big" which has no "Gears" or "Halo" in its title.

The other thing is, while I agree that games like SoT and Forza will be super well received, they don't play in the same ballpark like Gears and Forza. Not even close. Without a proper Halo or Gears (or any title which comes close to them sales-wise) MS seems to rely on Scorpio's sheer power as its major sales driver. At least for 2017, that is.

Well, it seems they and the other gentleman were attempting to get me to start a list, but I was adamant about not rising to the bait. They want a list, they make the list. :p

And I agree, to a certain extent. I feel as though, if the reception for SoT and Crackdown (which is what I believe you meant) is stellar, and Microsoft hypes them up in all the right ways (*cough* pre-release open beta *cough*), those games are poised to be big success stories. Hopefully. But I can hope all I want in one hand and spit in another, and it's obvious which one will fill up first, so.

Bgamer90

Banned

Third party titles were going to be a major launch sales driver either way (as it was for PS4 Pro) but yeah, I agree.

I wonder if we'll see Scorpio patches for all recent (2015+) Xbox exclusives at launch.

Melchiah

I was commenting on the Xbox One lacking game diversity, not whether or not the PlayStation has more diversity.

As I said in my post, the Xbox One has titles for pretty much every genre outside of JRPG and Sports that aren't available on Nintendo and PlayStation.

There isn't quite as much horror games on the platform either, albeit mostly because some of the indies, like SOMA and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, haven't been released on XBO. In the beginning of the last gen it was opposite situation, with games like Condemned and Bioshock being (timed) exclusives to the 360.

I really am bewildered by Xbox's strategy: the whole having first party games on PC is removing all exclusivity from the platform for what reason? Surely the decreased sales is worth it due to the system building up a list of exclusives that will actively make it more enticing throughout the years. Or do the Xbox team have such little confidence in that proposal?

Their first party situation has been truly tragic when you look at the potential they had. Bungie, Bioware, Lionhead, Crytek, Rare, Epic etc......these could of all either been first party studios if cultivated rightly or at the very least strong second parties and yet the result is the opposite.

They are in a very tough spot content wise and its primarily due to poor handling of development studios, first party and third party.

Thretau

Neither MS or Sony has much to write home about in exclusives front this generation. I would say both have pretty equal amount of quality exclusives so far.

KonradLaw

No, money hat exclusivity is a dying breed but third party exclusivity will still happen if it makes sense from a business point of view. There's no point putting most Japanese third party games on Xbox, for instance, which is the source of 95% of the PS4's third party exclusives (NieR, Persona 5, Yakuza 0, Tales of Berseria, etc).
Yes, but those japanese devs are increasingly beginning to understant that there's a lot of business sense in putting those games on PC, so even on that front the number of PS4 exclusives will be going down with time.

Xando

I really am bewildered by Xbox's strategy: the whole having first party games on PC is removing all exclusivity from the platform for what reason? Surely the decreased sales is worth it due to the system building up a list of exclusives that will actively make it more enticing throughout the years. Or do the Xbox team have such little confidence in that proposal?

They release their games on PC for additional revenue.

I'm 100% certain if early XB1 exclusives sold better they wouldn't release their games on PC.

As it stands most (if not all) first & second party games sold average at best.

Melchiah

Their first party situation has been truly tragic when you look at the potential they had. Bungie, Bioware, Lionhead, Crytek, Rare, Epic etc......these could of all either been first party studios if cultivated rightly or at the very least strong second parties and yet the result is the opposite.

They are in a very tough spot content wise and its primarily due to poor handling of development studios, first party and third party.

If Bioware and Bungie had kept releasing games only on Xbox, I would have felt compelled to buy the system. It's better for my wallet that they didn't, but not for their platform.

Bgamer90

Banned
I really am bewildered by Xbox's strategy: the whole having first party games on PC is removing all exclusivity from the platform for what reason?

Getting more people to play their exclusive titles while at the same time realizing that many that buy consoles don't care about PC gaming -- hence why current gen console sales are being greatly driven by multiplats.

Forza Horizon 3 is part of a spin off series but yet it's the biggest Forza launch so far (it being available on PC more than likely helping). I don't see how the strategy hurt Forza there; Some still bought an Xbox One (S) for the game. If anything it has caused Forza to be more popular.

I'm sure MS wants the strategy to eventually work/help their other (console) exclusive series.

Zojirushi

Have I just been missing the complaints so far or has Scalebound canceling triggered all this MS has no games! talk?

Like, really, before Scalebound everything was fine but without it MS is suddenly doomed?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Have I just been missing the complaints so far or has Scalebound canceling triggered all this MS has no games! talk?

Like, really, before Scalebound everything was fine but without it MS is suddenly doomed?

I don't think it was even fine before Scalebound. The complaints were there. But its cancellation made a lot of people think about the fact that MS only has about 2 or 3 games coming out for the whole of this year that would attract anyone to the Xbox platform now that one of their most high profile got canned.

Striek

The abject failure of the XBOne vision, the focus on PC crossplay, the drawdown of first parties and the collapse of third-party exclusives paints a solid picture...that no one wants to view.

I swapped in my OG PS4 for an Xbox One when I got the Pro and to be honest im really disappointed with the lineup and certainly the limited amount of exclusives. The PS4 is my main console this gen so all multiplatform stuff is obviously played on that. Even the Wii u has far better games than the One which is hilarious considering how things were with the 360.
Regardless, I'll keep the system for whatever decent game comes out and I am at least catching up on the small backlog. But overall, it's a very disappointing lineup.

Purest 78

MS has used the same strategy for the last decade. Focus on Halo,Gears and Forza Buying the occasional third-party exclusive. I think that strategy is now bitting them in the ass.

mejin

What MS lacks is future perspective and they put themselves in this situation: fewer first party support + reduced 3rd party support. Spencer did a lot for hardware + apps + new features, but after 3 years I can say he lacks the same effort with software.

Scalebound was their biggest and different ip from years and they cancelled it. It doesn't matter how they tried to sugar coat the situation it is a huge blow to their lineup for 2017.

Sony has neither and they are leading. Shocking.

Microsoft think 3rd party and graphics is all they need. They just want to be a storefront that takes 30% and a subscription on top.
For a lot of their audience it's all they need.

Anecdotal evidence time
I realized the other day the only games my friends play on Xbox are cooperative team work games. Overwatch, Battlefield, Destiny, and soon enough we will be playing Sea of Thieves. You don't need exclusives to be successful.

Just because Xbox is not selling gangbusters numbers don't mean it's trouble. It's mostly a Western focused system. I'm ok with that.

Rembrandt

Banned
The abject failure of the XBOne vision, the focus on PC crossplay, the drawdown of first parties and the collapse of third-party exclusives paints a solid picture...that no one wants to view.

Another year, another "Xbox isn't going to be around" post.

maverick40

I keep asking myself the same question. Why would anyone pick an Xbox over a PS4?

Microsoft are not making it easy for people.

emrober5

I share this concern. I am getting Halo Wars 2 in February but after that I really don't know when I will get another game on my One. I am a Halo and Gears fan but I do not care for Forza, and I have a Pro. It seems like it will be a 4K blu ray player for a while.

Now would be a good time for a Ryse sequel, Alan Wake 2, something like that.

Striek

Another year, another "Xbox isn't going to be around" post.

Yeah. Was definitely an opinion people held amidst the Xbox 360 growing the brand 300%, or during the assumed ascension of the XBOne as the defacto leader. Definitely not a brand new assessment of a brand new situation. Everything is A-OK. Evidenced by an article from GamesIndustry entitled "Where are the Xbox One's exclusives?". Totally normal. Nothing amiss.

R aka Bon

Does it? I'd say now with Scalebound gone their 2017 lineup is rather underwhelming, and that's a nice way to put it.

The most anticipated MS exclusive (here on NeoGAF) is now Cuphead, an amazing looking platformer from an indie developer.

Really? I don't see how Halo wars 2, a sequel to State of Decay, Sea of thieves and Crackdown 3 is a weak lineup considering that they are all major titles, possibly overlooking some smaller titles as well. I do agree that Scalebound would have made that lineup even more enticing and more complete, as a character driven open world action rpg with dragons sounds very attractive and is something (imo) that they need , but nonetheless i don't understand the heavy criticism for the actual lineup, as it's not terrible.

And i don't necessarily agree with Halo-Gears-Forza being viewed as something bad, as the latter 2's latest entries have been very well received.

Rembrandt

Banned
Yeah. Was definitely an opinion people held amidst the Xbox 360 growing the brand 300%, or during the assumed ascension of the XBOne as the defacto leader. Definitely not a brand new assessment of a brand new situation. Everything is A-OK. Evidenced by an article from GamesIndustry entitled "Where are the Xbox One's exclusives?". Totally normal. Nothing amiss.

You're right, it's not a brand new assessment.

I'm only pointing out that this "assessment" is entertaining. No harm.

I keep asking myself the same question. Why would anyone pick an Xbox over a PS4?

Pro Controller for starters, that thing is the best way to play FPS on the market right now hands down.

I have a 4k tv so obviously a 4k Blu ray player is the obvious choice.

But mostly the pro controller and the UI, I love going into the store and seeing game clips, not staged clips presented by devs but gameplay by real people like myself. Xbox has apps the PlayStation does not as well. I like achievements over trophy, I like being able to change my Gamertag. I mean now we are just talking little details but still. It's not hard to figure out that both systems appeal to the gaming audience in different ways.

Genio88

I guess Microsoft will present something new at E3, an Halo spin off like ODST and Reach or a new IP. Also it's true that this year seems weak exclusove wise, but last years have been pretty good

jelly

Pro Controller for starters, that thing is the best way to play FPS on the market right now hands down.

I have a 4k tv so obviously a 4k Blu ray player is the obvious choice.

But mostly the pro controller and the UI, I love going into the store and seeing game clips, not staged clips presented by devs but gameplay by real people like myself. Xbox has apps the PlayStation does not as well. I like achievements over trophy, I like being able to change my Gamertag. I mean now we are just talking little details but still. It's not hard to figure out that both systems appeal to the gaming audience in different ways.

The Xbox controller, Forza Horizon, Halo although love and hate, BC, few gems here and there. Microsoft do good things. Sony has more games and I enjoy those too but Xbox has always been more comfortable for me particularly the controller, I just wish they weren't on the slide and did more.

Hasney

Just sold my XB1 Elite console today but kept the controller because it's so good. It's still not as good as M & K, but it'll do for being lazy. The UI I absolutely despised though. All I want on boot is my games in a list.

Shame I don't have good vibes about the platform as a whole anymore.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I think Xbox is only an exclusive platformer and a hack n slash short of an excellent range of genres.

Dragun619

I think they should've bought Remedy out, especially after Quantum Break.

Even though QB didn't do great, It would easily give MS that go to internal studio that can produce an AAA single player focused game. That's of course, if producing AAA single player games are still in MS's plans.

Nintendo and Microsoft would never gel together well. Team Xbox has a completely different attitude towards what makes their games fun than Nintendo does--competition versus for everyone. Beyond that, their corporate cultures are completely at odds with each other. Y'all are dreaming if you think it'd work in this reality. :p
Man, Even if Nintendo sells, y'all already know Disney first in line. Everybody at Nintendo would love to see Mario & Pikachu hangout with Micky Mouse & Darth Vader at Disneyland, than hangout with Master Chief & Marcus Fenix on Xbox & PC. lol

EGM1966

I'm not sure what it is exactly about Scalebound's cancellation that caused everybody to have meltdowns and decide now is the time to naval gaze about the xbox platform as a whole, but the exclusive slate has not substantially changed since 3 months ago. The last thread I remember reading about it seemed to be like 60/40 split as to whether it looked horrible or decent, in favor of the former.

By my reckoning, what the Microsoft slate is missing is one or two high profile, story driven prestige projects. Halo used to be this, but the industry's tastes changed and people aren't as excited about such an old franchise. What people seem to go gaga over come E3 are story driven games with great graphics. Ultimately, when people say "Xbox has no games" what it's really code for is "there is nothing in the same niche as Uncharted / Tlou / that new cinematic looking god of war". There is nothing blowing people away with animation quality that looks like it's going to make critics cry come awards season. Because in terms of games, there's definitely stuff coming out, the latest Gears was well received, the last Halo was well received, the Forzas continue to do well every year, there's some MMO water thing coming out, people are for some reason excited about Crackdown (if it ever ships), there's even a fucking RTS coming out. When was the last time there was a big console RTS? But even going back a year or two, the only thing filling that niche, the one that gets people hyped, was a timed exclusive that just pissed most people off rather than getting them excited about the platform.

With Scorpio coming out, I think it's plausible that they're holding one or two cards close to their chest to act as "Scorpio launch titles", which will probably run a bit crummy on vanilla XBO but look stunning on Scorpio. But I doubt there's going to be much in the way of new AAA action adventure franchises with a strong narrative focus. I don't know if the Xbox team considers anything like that to be an actual high priority. There's definitely going to be new first and third person shooters, there's definitely going to be racing games, there's going to be fighting games. And they'll all be well reviewed, but for the most part the people here won't care much, because it's all pretty passé.
Agree with all but I think it's pretty obvious why Scalebound has triggered this:
  • It goes right back to early XB1 launch
  • It's been given high profile coverage
  • The developer is highly regarded in gaming circles
  • The game was different enough from normal MS IP to have driven a lot of interest/buying intent

Thus the "noise" of the cancellation drew spotlight on the situation from media although murmurs of concern has been growing.

It was the tipping point for many I believe to shift from MS may have a problem with quantity/variety of exclusives to MS do have a problem with quantity/variety

The article calls it the straw that broke the camel's back: which is just what we all called the tipping point before the name shifted as the concept got "rediscovered".

That's pretty much it. The other factor is it occurred the year Scorpio will launch so it's raising concerns what software the device will have too.

Carn82

Microsoft is still showing the same signs as when guys like Ed Fries left. They want to sell you the windows platform. This time it's disguised as a gaming machine.

Novocaine

- They like the Microsoft exclusives more than the Sony exclusives

- They like the controller better

- They like the Microsoft ecosystem better

- Backwards compatibility

- They want a system that can do 4k BR

- Their friends are on Xbox

Not sure why you need to keep asking yourself such a silly question when there are plenty of obvious reasons why you might want to choose an Xbox over a PlayStation (and vice versa).

etta

my hard graphic balls
Microsoft are done this generation . There would have been rumours about new games or exclusives in dev for Scorpio already .

There's nothing .

Xbox Scorpio will just be a slightly enhanced PS4 pro , and then Sony will sell the pro 100 usd cheaper at Scorpio launch .

Microsoft just need to give up on Xbox and make there windows 10 gaming pc thingy
Fancyyyyyy!

Top Bottom