• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Capcom Not Bringing Switch Ver. of Monster Hunter XX to US (at this time)

ekim

I have no idea how much a localization costs (translation + print + production of cartridges) but I cannot imagine it is so much money they cannot get back from sales. I imagine a Switch MH to sell pretty good in the west. This seems kind of stupid.

Edit: wait, the 3DS version is coming though? Wtf?

Dot-N-Run

I've never been burned more times by a failure to localize a game than by Capcom.

Sega comes in second for this dubious ranking.

Kirye

Hey Look, we've managed to build and sustain a working relationship with Nintendo and their players. Monster Hunter has never been more successful than it is now.

Let's take a shit on all of that.

If XX was just not coming out period i'd be a bit more understanding. But its releasing in 2 months, on Switch and 3DS. I also doubt it'd cost them much to localize it, as MH doesn't have that much text.

It's obvious they don't care about the fanbase they and Nintendo created all these years. They want a new and bigger fanbase, they want the series to be 'mainstream' every where and they obviously started this game back when they just assumed Switch was gonna be a failure.

Why XX coming out affects World I have no idea, they must think there's only room for 1 and they want all the focus to be on the new one in the west.

It will anger a lot of established fans though, and the last time Capcom brushed away the 'hardcore' fans in hopes of gaining all new/more ones instead they got DmC'ed.

AfdBcZZ.png

Steal your game.

Somebody get Reggie on camera and ask him why Switch isnt getting the Monster Hunter game or XX. Would love to see him use his PR savy on a question like that.

How is this Nintendo's fault? They really seem to bend over backwards for Capcom, especially with regards to this series, so I think instead Capcom should be asked about their aversion to the system.

Ridley327

1. No quote?
2. It's E3. They have a new game to promote. They might not want to talk about MHXX.

MHXX is also a new game, and I don't think it's a stretch to believe that a lot of Monster Hunter fans would have absolutely no problems buying two new Monster Hunter games.

1. No quote?
2. It's E3. They have a new game to promote. They might not want to talk about MHXX.

MHXX for the Switch is a new game for them too! It was only just announced in Japan some days ago! Nintendo literally just announced 2 Metroid games on separate platforms. It's not like Capcom can't do the same. This is pure fuckery on their part

TheOasis

I was foolish to believe that Capcom wouldn't eventually screw over a portion of their MH fanbase. I mean, history shows that they've consistently disappointed the fanbases of most of their other properties at some point in time.

Alric

Is there a good site that shows the japanese and english translation for Monster Hunter XX? As importing is my only option i'm prepared to start learning.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sorry all of you who bought Monster Hunter on the 3DS. You didn't pass the BIGGEST Capcom test yet!

Fuck off, Capcom

Between this and Ace Attorney series Capcom must REALLY hate US Nintendo owners.

The uh, west kind of includes Europe and Australia too dude

No different than what they said yesterday...or even in the past.

It will be a matter of Nintendo throwing money at them to help localization and advertising, maybe even publishing.
Capcom: Hey Nintendo do you want to bankroll this game for the West.

NCL: Can you port MHW to Switch?

Capcom: No

NCL: Same Answer to your question.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Trying to build your fanbase in the west by pissing off your fanbase in the west is an interesting strategy.

They're banking on the combined PS4, Xbox, and PC installed bases being worth far more than pissing off the Nintendo fans.

xequalsy

Seems pretty fucked up if this is the case, and allows everything else EXCEPT switch. I mean, why Xbox, other than to fuck over Nintendo?

If it's true, it's just business, sucks but Nintendo will survive - though honestly, it sounds far-fetched that Sony would bother paying unless they think people on Xbox don't care at all. More likely Capcom just doesn't care.

Quadratic

Seems like Capcom is waiting for Nintendo to step in. I'll reiterate it's baffling how they won't help the franchise grow with a localized XX version for the Switch. I highly doubt people would get confused in the marketplace between the 2 games. Monster Hunter isn't exactly a casual franchise ala Madden or CoD.

Camjo-Z

I will never understand why these big publishers think that only localizing select games in a series is a good way to grow a fan base. It's the same shit with Dragon Quest, somehow we're in a world where we get the Dynasty Warriors and Minecraft spin-offs but whether we'll ever see the two latest main series games (X and XI) localized is still completely unknown.

Alright, who do we have to pester on social media to get this done?

Top Bottom