• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Capcom Not Bringing Switch Ver. of Monster Hunter XX to US (at this time)

antonz

Fans go wherever the series goes. They went from PS2 to PSP, from PSP to 3DS and now to Switch/PS4/XB1/PC. Calling for boycotts and stuff is just silly, and it's not like Capcom have abandoned Nintendo.

There will be Switch versions too. Taking the "vote with your wallet" stance just hurts the series. What would have happened to MH if all the PSP fans didn't support the 3DS games?

I understand it sucks to not get MHXX here, I wanted it too, but if you can play MH World but choose not to out of spite then that's childish IMO.

Vote with your wallet is the most adult thing you can do. Childish is telling people who do not like what's being done to suck it up and just accept it. We get it you are Super PS4 fan who has been crying for MH PS4 for years now.

The rest of us enjoy it as a handheld franchise which is what it has been well established as. Even the mighty PS2 could not sell the series.

I can't fathom why people would want to stop World from seeing success. Maybe that would make Capcom rush to release XX but that's like saying you want a regressed version of the series instead of a series trying to improve, expand and add new stuff?

Say you get what you want and MHWorld tanks. Does this mean we always get lower-res versions of Monster Hunter catered ONLY to handhelds? That seems selfish too. Monster Hunter started on the PS2 if I recall.

I just want both honestly. As others have said, I think Capcom is trying to eye Nintendo for the localization.

Unless they truly feel XX on Switch will stagger World sales. I personally feel like people would buy both and the audiences aren't necessarily the same either.
It started on the Mighty PS2 and was an incredibly niche title with little success. They decided maybe it would do better as a Handheld title and what do you know suddenly millions of people said yes this is great. Considering a brand new handheld has come out that can do 720p and 1080p all the concern trolling over 240p is pretty hilarious around here

Ridley327

How did fans of the PSP and PS2 versions react when it was exclusive to Nintendo handhelds?

This isn't about platform betrayaltons. This is about maintaining some consistency on localization that, at least for a while, was greatly improving until this comes along and stops it dead in its tracks.

Nightii

Banned
I'm not talking about people who don't like World. They weren't going to play it anyway so they're irrelevant in the point I'm making. The post I was quoting was saying "don't give Capcom your money even if you want to play World!". That's childish.
Yes, they are now irrelevant because they no longer have a choice they want to spend money on anymore.

Then you're killing Monster Hunter.

If you don't like the way the game turns out, fine. If you only play these games because they're portable and that's important to you, fine. But some stupid boycott against a localization decision just to spite a company seems completely backwards to me.

But do what you want.

No he will be killing Capcom.

I can't fathom why people would want to stop World from seeing success. Maybe that would make Capcom rush to release XX but that's like saying you want a regressed version of the series instead of a series trying to improve, expand and add new stuff?

Say you get what you want and MHWorld tanks. Does this mean we always get lower-res versions of Monster Hunter catered ONLY to handhelds? That seems selfish too. Monster Hunter started on the PS2 if I recall.

I just want both honestly. As others have said, I think Capcom is trying to eye Nintendo for the localization.

Unless they truly feel XX on Switch will stagger World sales. I personally feel like people would buy both and the audiences aren't necessarily the same ither.
We don't want Worlds to fail we want both but Capcom won't give us both.

sanstesy

Capcom will Capcom. Bar none the most incompetent gaming company in the world.

They finally have a good western audience on Nintendo hardware for Monster Hunter and just immediately destroy it in the most stupid way possible.

Lothars

????

Voting with your wallet is about as adult as one can be.
Depends on why you are doing it, If your doing it because your not interested in world than that's understandable. If your doing it for no reason other than to stick it to capcom than that makes no sense.

Then you're killing Monster Hunter.

If you don't like the way the game turns out, fine. If you only play these games because they're portable and that's important to you, fine. But some stupid boycott against a localization decision just to spite a company seems completely backwards to me.

But do what you want.

Why should I spend $90 to support a company I can't trust to respect it's fans? Please explain to me why they should get my money.

pvpness

Super duper. So now we just wait to find out whether World is a dope Monster Hunter game, a dope game, or a shit show. Yikes.

Kyoufu

????

Voting with your wallet is about as adult as one can be.

Read my following posts. People who aren't interested in World were already voting with their wallet by not intending to purchase it to begin with.

The point is, if you want to play World, but instead boycott it because of this then that to me is childish.

Busaiku

The Point is Handheld versus Console and while Switch can certainly play in console mode its also a handheld and Capcom is clearly saying Handheld is not good enough for them anymore.

Capcom sees this chart and is unhappy the Ratio of East versus West for MH
DCT80ySWAAAn5Es.jpg
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate's western sales eclipses Street Fighter V's total sales, yet Street Fighter V continues to get support and 3DS fans are left out to dry.
Capcom are geniuses.

I thought Capcom was planning on eating their cake and having it too by releasing both the portable game and new console experience in NA within a few months.

I guess the last Wii U version didn't sell enough to make it worthwhile, or they figured most Western fans picked up Generations on 3DS last summer. Either way, boldmoveCotton.gif

they could just, you know, release it on 3ds?

Nanashrew

Banned
This isn't about platform betrayaltons. This is about maintaining some consistency on localization that, at least for a while, was greatly improving until this comes along and stops it dead in its tracks.

Exactly! That consistency helps build the brand like the want. It's how they've made it so far and made MH a bigger name. Lose that consistency and it can screw things up.

JaCy

Yeah, not buying World now. I was planning on buying all three when I thought they were all coming over. It looks like Stories will be my last MH game.

Arzehn

But for the first time ever we're getting simultaneous launch with Japan for World, that is an improvement.

Oregano

Agreed but that seems like the same people whining about anything capcom does.

Yes but if they want to play it but are not buying it as a protest than that's just a backwards way of looking at it.

I don't own a PS4 or XBO(or a PC good enough to play it). I was planning on buying World and playing it on my brother's Xbox but I wanted MHXX because it's something I'll obviously be able to play a lot more. The game already exists and is mostly localised.

If Capcom isn't going to give me the product I want more I'm not going to go out of my way to support them.

That isn't spite and I'm not decrying the existence of World(it looks fantastic).

Kouriozan

Feel like Capcom is forcing MH World on us and I really don't like it.
But I guess it's fine to piss up your fanbase, right?

Nightii

Banned
What if people don't feel what World is doing is objectively "progress" or an "improvement", are they just wrong and should shut up?

So what if they don't release this and Worlds bombs? I just don't get the reasoning here. Also, before somebody is like, "Worlds isn't going to bomb from boycotts, blah blah blah", that's not what I mean. What I mean is, what if hypothetically it's just not great and bombs. Lose/lose for Capcom and good chance they just kill MH in the West period. Why not hedge your bets.

Just baffling.

gtj1092

No one has any obligation to support the series. If someone doesn't want to buy MH World that's their prerogative.

And Capcom has no obligation to localize MHXX.

So weird fans of a series only want to support it if it's on their favorite console.

Juissi

Neo Member
WTF! This is a huge thing for me. They even released the game for 3DS in Japan few months ago, they only need to translate it! EDIT: Ok, Switch version need more work, but your game is already ready for 3DS!

Oh man Capcom what are you doing? MH World is for PS4, XB1 and PC. They could have their game, give us our game.

Lothars

I don't own a PS4 or XBO(or a PC good enough to play it). I was planning on buying World and playing it on my brother's Xbox but I wanted MHXX because it's something I'll obviously be able to play a lot more. The game already exists and is mostly localised.

If Capcom isn't going to give me the product I want more I'm not going to go out of my to support them.

That isn't spite and I'm not decrying the existence of World(it looks fantastic).
That's a fair way to be, I understand where your coming from but there are multiple nonsensical posts shiting on world because MHXX isn't coming out.

Capcom cannot afford to bring XX to the West. The Company is already on life support when they cannot even fund their own games and need companies like Sony to step in to ensure major Franchises like Street Fighter get made.

Capcom is betting the house on Monster Hunter in the west chasing after consoles. A Handheld game is direct competition to the console game.
As annoying as this is, I agree with this. I'm just not sold that this move will pay off for Capcom.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So what if they don't release this and Worlds bombs? I just don't get the reasoning here. Also, before somebody is like, "Worlds isn't going to bomb from boycotts, blah blah blah", that's not what I mean. What I mean is, what if hypothetically it's just not great and bombs. Lose/lose for Capcom and good chance they just kill MH in the West period. Why not hedge your bets.

Just baffling.

Then they just release XX at the end of next year in this scenario? How is it a lose/lose exactly?

I can't blame them for wanting to keep the focus on one game. Its a bold move though

redcrayon

And Capcom has no obligation to localize MHXX.

So weird fans of a series only want to support it if it's on their favorite console.
So weird that fans of a series want to see the games that have been made actually released, I know.

If they hadnt bothered making XX I'd have just shrugged my shoulders and wandered off, but to reveal it and then a few weeks later say 'you're not getting it!' is bizarre.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Mohan loc is very expensive as those games contain many buckets of text.

Here is what businesses do:

1. Evaluate current & past sales on platform
2. Weigh cost of localization against projected sales
3. Make informed decision

Here is not what business do:

1. Evaluate localization decisions based on Neogaf

Aleh

I wanted to play it on Switch since I tried it on 3DS and didn't like the controls... Their loss lol they must hate money

Read my following posts. People who aren't interested in World were already voting with their wallet by not intending to purchase it to begin with.

The point is, if you want to play World, but instead boycott it because of this then that to me is childish.

It's not though. How's about people just let others do whatever they like with their hard earned cash?

Kyoufu

Also fans need to realise that Capcom is not made of endless resources. MH World is the first time the series is getting a worldwide simultaneous release. That takes a lot of resources to accomplish.

Tecmo Koei couldn't bring Nioh over to the west at the same time as Japan without Sony's intervention. These things are not easy.

It's an expansion to a game I bought day 1 and played thinking I could transfer my character and keep on playing when it released. Capcom never releases Vanilla MH. We usually get the expansions so everyone thought XX was a sure thing. If I knew it wasnt I wouldnt have wasted my money on Generations because MH at High Rank has limited appeal to me.

Also fans need to realise that Capcom is not made of endless resources. MH World is the first time the series is getting a worldwide simultaneous release. That takes a lot of resources to accomplish.

Capcom has to realize that not all of us have endless patience.

roknin

Depends on why you are doing it, If your doing it because your not interested in world than that's understandable. If your doing it for no reason other than to stick it to capcom than that makes no sense.

No, it still does...?

If you don't like the direction a company is going or a move their making, then you don't buy their product - the most effective and adult way to handle it.

Mind you, I'm buying MHW and will import XX, and if the stars alight and XX gets localized later I'll get that, too. But I'm not going to shit on folks that are understandably pissed this, and certainly not going to fault them for not buying something they don't want to support.

Mohan loc is very expensive as those games contain many buckets of text.

Here is what businesses do:

1. Evaluate current & past sales on platform
2. Weigh cost of localization against projected sales
3. Make informed decision

Here is not what business do:

1. Evaluate localization decisions based on Neogaf

They already localized 99.9% of it.

Top Bottom