• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Capcom Not Bringing Switch Ver. of Monster Hunter XX to US (at this time)

yurinka

Sounds like they want Nintendo to localize and publish it in the west.

Nintendo may not be interested on helping MH due to MHW.

Oregano

And Capcom has no obligation to localize MHXX.

So weird fans of a series only want to support it if it's on their favorite console.

It's not about being on people's favourite console. We can have both XX and World.

...and Capcom absolutely has an obligation to give consumers what they want if they want their money. That's a fundamental of business.

That's a fair way to be, I understand where your coming from but there are multiple nonsensical posts shiting on world because MHXX isn't coming out.

Some people do go too far but no one should be begrudged for parting ways with a series.

Xbro

Mohan loc is very expensive as those games contain many buckets of text.

Here is what businesses do:

1. Evaluate current & past sales on platform
2. Weigh cost of localization against projected sales
3. Make informed decision
Except
1. Monster Hunter 4U and Generations sold very well in the west.

2. Monster Hunter Generations already has most of the text contained in XX.

3. Capcom has quite the informants.

Quonny

Why should I spend $90 to support a company I can't trust to respect it's fans? Please explain to me why they should get my money.

If your reason to not buy Worlds is because '[Y] company didn't localize a game for [system I own] so I'm going to send a message', that's petty. If you don't buy/play Worlds because:

1. You don't like the changes
2. You don't like the fact that it's not portable.
3. Capcom has personally wronged you (I mean personally, not this 'respect fans' garbage)
4. Capcom has done some ethically wrong
5. You don't have the systems

then whatever, totally fine. But 'grrr you didnt localize this game for my switch even though i have a ps4/xbo/pc fuck you' seems ridiculously petty. But you can do whatever you want. It's your money.

That fucking sucks. And from a business pov, I also have difficulty understanding this. So much money left on the table and a big opportunity to make the franchise grow worldwide unused.

So weird fans of a series only want to support it if it's on their favorite console.

Yah, totally weird to support a game they are making for their favorite console coming to their favorite console in another region. Of course they have no obligation, stop being obtuse. XX and World are different games. We have no idea what World even is. There is a huge Western fanbase that knows exactly what this is and wants it.

Snakeyes

Looks like the rumor was true. Capcom often makes bizarre decisions, but this one ties in very nicely with Sony bankrolling Worlds with a clause to lock out the Switch in an effort to position PlayStation as the home of Monster Hunter in the West (with an Xbox version not being seen as a threat for people who buy Japanese games) and localizing XX on Switch would play directly against that narrative. Sony's attitude towards crossplay makes the notion of them using exclusionary tactics to gain a competitive advantage even more believable.

Lelou

i was not intended to do it before,

But i will vote with my wallet.
I never did it before in my entire life, but i suppose that it's the only way to send a message to a company that close completely their eyes and ears from the community.

Mohan loc is very expensive as those games contain many buckets of text.

Here is what businesses do:

1. Evaluate current & past sales on platform
2. Weigh cost of localization against projected sales
3. Make informed decision

Here is not what business do:

1. Evaluate localization decisions based on Neogaf

No one is saying they have to localize it for Neogaf. Those who want it are largely using data points and sales figures to reason why it doesn't make sense to not localize it.

Bakercat

Never could get into monster hunter, but that blows for fans of the series. From what I saw it looked really good on the switch. Since the switch isn't region locked, some fans who know Japanese can still import it, but still sucks for non Japanese speaking westerners. Well, at least we've got monster hunter coming on the PS4.

HeeHo

What if people don't feel what World is doing is objectively "progress" or an "improvement", are they just wrong and should shut up?

Well, I was not trying to say it will definitely be an objective improvement. Do you not believe it being on a more powerful machine could help to add a lot of neat features? Like no loading between zones as a small example? I'm sure you could achieve that on the Switch too but having more powerful hardware can add interesting things to physics based stuff.

Ryuuga

Banned
Is anyone going to give a fuck about a localized XX after the release of MHWorld? I say that meaning that it's possible we'll have heard of a new MH title by then if not later next year.

Loudninja

Looks like the rumor was true. Capcom often makes bizarre decisions, but this one ties in very nicely with Sony bankrolling Worlds with a clause to lock out the Switch in an effort to position PlayStation as the home of Monster Hunter in the West (with an Xbox version not being seen as a threat for people who buy Japanese games) and localizing XX on Switch would play directly against that narrative. Sony's attitude towards crossplay makes the notion of them using exclusionary tactics to gain a competitive advantage even more believable.
Umm how did Sony bankroll it when its on the PC and Xbox One?

"That's just the way Breath of Fire is now. If you don't download it and throw money at IAPs, you're effectively killing the franchise. Grow up."

I'll just continue not giving a company money if they aren't serving me as a consumer.

If your reason to not buy Worlds is because '[Y] company didn't localize a game for [system I own] so I'm going to send a message', that's petty. If you don't buy/play Worlds because:

3. Capcom has personally wronged you (I mean personally, not this 'respect fans' garbage)

then whatever. But 'grrr you didnt localize this game for my switch even though i have a ps4/xbo/pc fuck you' seems ridiculously petty. But you can do whatever you want. It's your money. Just don't be upset if the series and/or company fails because there are enough of you.

Do you want to give me $90? Because otherwise all your saying is "give them your money even though they piss you off". Naw. Though I could just buy it used I suppose.

Paz

As a long time player of this series who has bought a shitload of copies over the years for me and friends, I'm probably gonna boycott World and maybe other Capcom stuff now.

Just insulting as fuck, a decision that makes no sense and clearly not in players interests but some kind of horrible business deal.

Read title or OP? This is about the Switch game

Yes. I know. I'm saying people that avoided the series due to the hardware it was on now at least have a decent platform to play these games on (at a much higher resolution and a significantly better input method using the joycons/pro controller).

They should give the series a chance on the Switch because that's a pretty common sentiment I've seen among "core gamers".

Nanashrew

Banned
As Jim Sterling puts it "some of these companies would rather have no money than some money if they can have all of the money."

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Do we have the sales numbers for MH Generations in the West? Maybe that has something to do with it.

This isnt shocking though. Capcom moves MH around every gen it seems like. When Switch iserbase grows, it will probably come back to it in the west. Tjen everyone boycotting will be right back buying.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Hahaahahahahahaha. This isn't a favour these are paying customers they're pissing ogg. Every single game of the past few years they'be released has underperformed some substantially except MH. Let's see if they can go for total dominion.

It's a bold move Cotton.

then whatever, totally fine. But 'grrr you didnt localize this game for my switch even though i have a ps4/xbo/pc fuck you' seems ridiculously petty. But you can do whatever you want. It's your money.

It may be petty, but it's completely valid. Hard to believe a boycott will hurt their bottom line if Worlds ends up great, but it's a totally valid reason for an individual to jump off.

Kinsei

Banned
Is anyone going to give a fuck about a localized XX after the release of MHWorld? I say that meaning that it's possible we'll have heard of a new MH title by then if not later next year.

Yes. Assuming they announced and released it before the reveal of Ichinose's next game.

Ridley327

Do we have the sales numbers for MH Generations in the West? Maybe that has something to do with it.

This isnt shocking though. Capcom moves MH around every gen it seems like. When Switch iserbase grows, it will probably come back to it in the west. Tjen everyone boycotting will be right back buying.

I don't think we have anything super definitive, but it was the number one selling single SKU game the month it came out in last year.

It's between 1 and 1.5 million.

Edit: that's 4u. Generations is around a million.

Oregano

Generations was no.1 in NPD and sold just under a million in the west.

Nerazar

That's the wrong call, but that's on Capcom. I will wait until the PC version emerges and even then I might wait until there's a 50%+ sale on Steam.

So the Capcom support thus far for the Switch is:

An overpriced Super Street Fighter 2 variant.
A Japan-exclusive Monster Hunter XX they've essentially sent out to die, because they want to push MH: World as the next big title.

Great!

It has nothing to do with platform. The game doesnt need extensive localization and it will make its budget back easy. We got 3U and 4U. Getting Generations Vanilla gave the impression we wete getting the ultimate version. It takes nothing to localize this. If they cant be bothered then I cant be bothered to buy more MH.

Espada

That's the wrong call, but that's on Capcom. I will wait until the PC version emerges and even then I might wait until there's a 50%+ sale on Steam.

So the Capcom support thus far for the Switch is:

An overpriced Super Street Fighter 2 variant.
A Japan-exclusive Monster Hunter XX they've essentially sent out to die, because they want to push MH: World as the next big title.

Great!

Well, MH: World IS the next big title. It is effectively Monster Hunter 5, with higher production values and (according to both Capcom and people who saw a gameplay demo of it) a bunch of quality of life improvements. It's also launching on 3 platforms with huge audiences (and ones that Monster Hunter fans likely own), so that game is a pretty major push in the West.

It sucks that Capcom is doing this when the last portable entry appears to have done pretty well in the West.

Fans go wherever the series goes. They went from PS2 to PSP, from PSP to 3DS and now to Switch/PS4/XB1/PC. Calling for boycotts and stuff is just silly, and it's not like Capcom have abandoned Nintendo.

There will be Switch versions too. Taking the "vote with your wallet" stance just hurts the series. What would have happened to MH if all the PSP fans didn't support the 3DS games?

I understand it sucks to not get MHXX here, I wanted it too, but if you can play MH World but choose not to out of spite then that's childish IMO.
They have repeatedly made it clear that there is nothing coming to the Switch in the West.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Also fans need to realise that Capcom is not made of endless resources. MH World is the first time the series is getting a worldwide simultaneous release. That takes a lot of resources to accomplish.

Tecmo Koei couldn't bring Nioh over to the west at the same time as Japan without Sony's intervention. These things are not easy.
Are you their community manager doing damage control or something? Saying people who don't buy MHW are childish or get angry at people who are irritated by this decision is extremly childish.

Nightii

Banned
Well, I was not trying to say it will definitely be an objective improvement. Do you not believe it being on a more powerful machine could help to add a lot of neat features? Like no loading between zones as a small example? I'm sure you could achieve that on the Switch too but having more powerful hardware can add interesting things to physics based stuff.
Yes, that is nice, but not all of the changes are QoL stuff, and there being no alternative for people about that just means they can only go to the corner if they don't like it.

Capcom treats Western MH fans like shit. First MH2 for the PS2, then MHP3 for the PSP, followed by MH4 for the 3DS and finally MHXX for the 3DS and Switch. I could understand both MH2 and MHP3 since the fanbase was still pretty small, but the rest of the games have no excuse, specially MHXX, a game that is like 70% translated already and it is the expansion of a game they already localized.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
.... Its been in development for 4 years. Nintendo didn't even have a relevant console 4 years ago.
I mean they had the 3DS which mh was exclusive to and it doesn't take a genius to realise it would have a successor. Not saying it's accurate but I that specific reasoning soesn't make sense to me.

Top Bottom