• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Capcom Not Bringing Switch Ver. of Monster Hunter XX to US (at this time)

As someone who has played all of the Nintendo platform Monster Hunters and loves the series.....this is bullshit.

I mean, I get that they want World to do well, but this is a huge fuck you to everyone in the west who has supported them. I'm even planning on getting a bone for World, but I could have played both at the same time and not blinked an eye.

I thought Capcom was planning on eating their cake and having it too by releasing both the portable game and new console experience in NA within a few months.

I guess the last Wii U version didn't sell enough to make it worthwhile, or they figured most Western fans picked up Generations on 3DS last summer. Either way, boldmoveCotton.gif

Kyoufu

Yeah, because if you don't like what World is selling you then you are not a real MH fan.

Fans go wherever the series goes. They went from PS2 to PSP, from PSP to 3DS and now to Switch/PS4/XB1/PC. Calling for boycotts and stuff is just silly, and it's not like Capcom have abandoned Nintendo.

There will be Switch versions too. Taking the "vote with your wallet" stance just hurts the series. What would have happened to MH if all the PSP fans didn't support the 3DS games?

I understand it sucks to not get MHXX here, I wanted it too, but if you can play MH World but choose not to out of spite then that's childish IMO.

Monster Hunter was probably the only serious effort Capcom would have put into the Switch anyway. I wouldn't expect much in the way of support for them on this platform, period. At least internationally. They'll likely develop some titles for the Japanese audience and keep them in that region.

So AA is moving to mobile then? Or dead?

Kinsei

Banned
Good for you but I would guess only a minority of western MH fans can read Japanese that well. So importing is an option for you but not everyone.

You don't need to know any Japanese to play an imported MH game. Take it from someone that was forced to import in the past.

The Point is Handheld versus Console and while Switch can certainly play in console mode its also a handheld and Capcom is clearly saying Handheld is not good enough for them anymore.

Capcom sees this chart and is unhappy the Ratio of East versus West for MH
DCT80ySWAAAn5Es.jpg

That's one way to view it, which is totally and utterly silly.

Let's say the ratio/percentages remained the same for XX; they'd be losing out on 35% of the total possible sales. The game is done, and most of it is already localized. They're leaving a third of the total take on the table AND burning the fans that helped get them to 35%.

These games are on totally different platforms, too. Fans that own multiple consoles would buy them both!

That's basically been everyone's argument. They want to grow the franchise in the west but its going to alienate the East so what exactly are they accomplishing.

They possibly want to transition the franchise on powerful consoles. All they need are more fans new and old in the West to help support that.

Who cares about the 3DS version? There's a Switch up port coming and its much higher res.

I know that's what I'm referring to. The series has been stuck on the 3DS for a while and the Switch appeals to a lot of people that share the sentiment of "I'd love to play the series but I don't want to play it on a handheld with hardware that was out of date at release".

Oersted

Fans go wherever the series goes. They went from PS2 to PSP, from PSP to 3DS and now to Switch/PS4/XB1/PC. Calling for boycotts and stuff is just silly, and it's not like Capcom have abandoned Nintendo.

There will be Switch versions too. Taking the "vote with your wallet" stance just hurts the series. What would have happened to MH if all the PSP fans didn't support the 3DS games?

It actually moved to Wii first and than moved to 3DS where it sold better.

Thoraxes

That's one way to view it, which is totally and utterly silly.

Let's say the ratio/percentages remained the same for XX; they'd be losing out on 35% of the total possible sales. The game is done, and most of it is already localized. They're leaving money on the table AND burning the fans that helped get them to 35%.

These games are on totally different platforms, too. Fans that own multiple consoles would buy them both!

That also excludes MH4 sales, which were nearly as much as 4U's WW sales combined.

Mark1

Region free makes this less of an issue bar the language barrier 😉

Nonetheless watch Nintendo try to publish this for the West.

ekim

You don't need to know any Japanese to play an imported MH game. Take it from someone that was forced to import in the past.

Yeah no. I want to understand everything in a game without the need to Google for a translation screen.

Nightii

Banned

I understand it sucks to not get MHXX here, I wanted it too, but if you can play MH World but choose not to out of spite then that's childish IMO.
What if some people do not like what World is like so far? It's not a hard concept, what if those that liked what games like XX had to offer simply don't like World's aproach? They can go get fucked?

redcrayon

A lot of Monster Hunter fans are core gamers that don't want to look at a 240p screen using an awful control scheme for hundreds of hours and frankly I don't blame them.
If that's true, then how would XX possibly clash with World? Surely 'a lot' of fans would then buy World to play on their tv instead.

If XX didn't exist I'd understand, but not localising a game that already exists, has a fan base, has at least half the text already localised and is on a different platform to the new hotness seems bloody stupid to me in terms of effort/reward. If they are worried that the fanbase might prefer XX that would just show a worrying lack of confidence in the new gen game they are making on the three biggest western platforms. It's effect would be minimal.

Nanashrew

Banned
I know that's what I'm referring to. The series has been stuck on the 3DS for a while and the Switch appeals to a lot of people that share the sentiment of "I'd love to play the series but I don't want to play it on a handheld with hardware that was out of date at release".

Ah sorry. I'm feeling a bit heated right now =/

NotLiquid

It's fucking baffling that the game is at least 50% translated at this point, that they have a western fanbase eager to eat up any game this franchise can come out with, especially one on the current popular gaming device of the year, and Capcom won't even put in the bare fucking minimum for what is a completely consequence-free endeavor for them.

Ridiculous.

wrowa

I mean they cannot afford it in the sense of competition. XX on Switch is competition for World.

Capcom is hell bent on Winning the West with Monster Hunter and that means World or GTFO.

Capcom's goal of selling multiple million of units of Monster Hunter World in the west won't fail because <500k people will buy another MH game on platforms MH World won't even release on.

If it fails it's because there might just not be all that large of an audience in the west that MH really appeals to.

Region free makes this less of an issue bar the language barrier &#128521;

Nonetheless watch Nintendo try to publish this for the West.

It's highly unlikely you can transfer a Generations save to XX. That makes importing a non-starter for me, on top of the language barrier.

I'll give Nintendo the chance to bail out Capcom. If not, then I'll pass on MHWorld. Can't support stupid decisions or games from companies I don't like.

Kyoufu

What if some people do not like what World is like so far? It's not a hard concept, what if those that liked what games like XX had to offer simply don't like World's aproach? They can go get fucked?

I'm not talking about people who don't like World. They weren't going to play it anyway so they're irrelevant in the point I'm making. The post I was quoting was saying "don't give Capcom your money even if you want to play World!". That's childish.

Oregano

No one has any obligation to support the series. If someone doesn't want to buy MH World that's their prerogative.

Seems like a weird bet to make since they would be almost a year apart probably, and its essentially asking existing fans to accept the "western reboot" sight unseen.

World may be great, I was pumped by the reveal, but I KNOW Generations/X were great and I wanted to play the thing on my shiny new Switch.

Kimawolf

Have local co-op and ape some of the design philosophy from Monster Hunter (they may have already? I've only played episode 1, w and CARD) and I think it would be really successful.
Yep. I mean capcom is leaving a HUGE hole now with a fanbase everyone knows eats up games like that.

SEGA could definitely rework Phantasy Star online and make bank and garner huge mindshare.

Vengal

Yeah, I'm not buying a PS4 and completely changing my gaming habits that shifted to portables due to parenthood and commuting just to play MHWorld. It can sit on a long list of cool-looking online games I no longer have time to play while tethered to a TV.

Parent as well, portable gaming or just any gaming that lets me save state or pause in combat is a godsend. Monster hunter multiplayer isn't super helpful with that but shutting the 3ds is something. When persona 5 came out i turned on my ps4 after it had been off for months and started messing with ps4 remote play options, played on my pc, played on my phone, played on a tablet. You really have a ton of options you can exercise for portable playing when it comes to the ps4 (and pc).

Lothars

I'm not talking about people who don't like World. They weren't going to play it anyway so they're irrelevant in the point I'm making. The post I was quoting was saying "don't give Capcom your money even if you want to play World!". That's childish.
Agreed but that seems like the same people whining about anything capcom does.

No one has any obligation to support the series. If someone doesn't want to buy MH World that's their prerogative.
Yes but if they want to play it but are not buying it as a protest than that's just a backwards way of looking at it.

Quonny

I'll give Nintendo the chance to bail out Capcom. If not, then I'll pass on MHWorld. Can't support stupid decisions or games from companies I don't like.

Then you're killing Monster Hunter.

If you don't like the way the game turns out, fine. If you only play these games because they're portable and that's important to you, fine. But some stupid boycott against a localization decision just to spite a company seems completely backwards to me.

But do what you want.

HeeHo

I can't fathom why people would want to stop World from seeing success. Maybe that would make Capcom rush to release XX but that's like saying you want a regressed version of the series instead of a series trying to improve, expand and add new stuff?

Say you get what you want and MHWorld tanks. Does this mean we always get lower-res versions of Monster Hunter catered ONLY to handhelds? That seems selfish too. Monster Hunter started on the PS2 if I recall.

I just want both honestly. As others have said, I think Capcom is trying to eye Nintendo for the localization.

Unless they truly feel XX on Switch will stagger World sales. I personally feel like people would buy both and the audiences aren't necessarily the same either.

Top Bottom