• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gamespot] Final Fantasy XV Story Cinematics [possibly spoilers]

dramatis

Since it seems like every video and breath of FF15 needs to have its own thread lest people forget the game exists, here comes an approximately 5 minute video from Gamespot of new cutscene bits. There was a 2-hour demo for press only that consisted of the actual beginning of the game, so we can assume these scenes are from the introductory parts of 15 proper. Up to you if you care about fairly light spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJDAJ35F3D0

Not as bad as Lightning Economics, but certainly not good. Dialogue is pretty bad.

But if it can go into "so bad it's good" territory maybe we could have an unintentional comedy. Somebody take the video and add laugh tracks.

I feel like it's decent especially for a jrpg and that's pretty much all I can hope for lol

Cindy or whatever's southern accent is incredibly stupid though, I'm from Kentucky and even I feel like it's super exaggerated. Like they're making fun of southern accents or something by how exaggerated it is. Not saying nobody sounds like that, I've heard some pretty strong ones but it doesn't really make sense for her.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Them finding
out about the invasion through a newspaper
is kind of dumb. Really disconnects you from such a big story event...

Tookay

I'm not going to say these are fantastic or anything, but you can string together a bunch of contextless scenes from any game and say it looks silly.

Them finding

I think it works, actually. It seems like the point is that you're following their POV and big things are happening elsewhere, which makes them feel more isolated and as you said, disconnected. That's just my take on it though. It's sort of like the last Harry Potter where big shit was going down at Hogwarts and elsewhere but the characters could only find out stuff through the grapevine so to speak. Maybe people complained about that too, but I thought it worked.

Them finding

Very silly...Considering the style they are going for...they would have phone calls, texts, social media preceding that by a long way...

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I'm really hoping this game improves on all the great things of XIII. Because to me the Characters and Story gets better as they go 7<8<9<10<13

True Fire

Final Fantasy has never had good dialogue. I think the realistic setting is putting people's expectations out of whack. It's a JRPG, not an HBO original series.

I'm not going to say these are fantastic or anything, but you can string together a bunch of contextless scenes from any game and say it looks silly.

I don't even think it's silly besides the fact that there is no background music at the moment. I actually think the voices and writing is pretty good for a JRPG.

Very silly...Considering the style they are going for...they would have phone calls, texts, social media preceding that by a long way...

They shut down communications in the invasion. There, problem solved. Or everyone that has their numbers is dead.

Burbeting

Banned
I like Noctis, Gladiolus and Prompto's deliveries. Ignis though... I know he is supposed to be Noctis' protector, but in the JP dub he also sounds like his friend, and much more concerned (the scene where they read the newspaper). English dub just makes him sound like a butler, nothing more. I know it's hard to follow Mamoru Miyano's great delivery, but this is pretty bad.

Dialogue is about what I expect from a JRPG at this point. Cheesy, but not awfully so.

Burbeting

Banned
I'm really hoping this game improves on all the great things of XIII. Because to me the Characters and Story gets better as they go 7<8<9<10<13

FF13 Setting and idea of the plot are fairly decent, but it is ruined by awful execution and writing. Somehow they are able to not make the plot engaging, and many simple concepts are made much more confusing than what is needed.

People complained about Noctis voice in Episode Duscae because it sounded like Batman or something like that but I had no problem with it. Clearly they listened to the feedback and asked for the dubber to change the tone of his voice, I think it sounds worse now =/

CCIE

Banned
I was excited about this game. However the style, the black leather everywhere, and the lack of women characters at all. Think I will be picking it up on sale, because this game is going to tank

I can't wait for this, please don't screw it up SE and I would be also grateful if you could add a few Neo enhancements to the game to get it running silky smooth.

AzureFlame

Noctis reaction to the news was incredibly bad, what a wasted potential, this makes me worried about the story presentation more than anything else now.. *sigh*.

Byvar

Are these supposed to have music?
They do have music, of course. It just seems Gamespot or the developers turned it off. The Cidney/Cindy video is partly shown with music at 0:15 here, though it's not really listenable with the people talking over it.
Also note that they're still using "Gratia Mundi" :)p) as exploration music at 1:18, even though it also seems to be the theme of Altissia. They'll probably have a larger variety of music by the final release of the game though.

chefbags

People complained about Noctis voice in Episode Duscae because it sounded like Batman or something like that but I had no problem with it. Clearly they listened to the feedback and asked for the dubber to change the tone of his voice, I think it sounds worse now =/

I think it's fine. Gladiolus got his voice extra deep and that put me off a bit.

I feel like it's decent especially for a jrpg and that's pretty much all I can hope for lol

I think Sakaguchi is weeping at this comment. The games he's directed have always had excellent writing, even after translation, which says a lot about the original dialog (and the localization team)

I hate to use the word cringe, but that's the only way to describe Cindy. It's like they watched the Dukes of Hazard and modelled her after a super exaggerated Daisy Duke

chefbags

Noctis reaction to the news was incredibly bad, what a wasted potential, this makes me worried about the story presentation more than anything else now.. *sigh*.

Look for the Japanese VA for Noctis. His reactions to the news is urgent and has that tone of anger. Love it a lot. It's pretty much perfect. Sucks for the English dub though, the way they speak the dialogue doesn't fit IMO.

Nauren

I think Sakaguchi I'd weeping at this comment. The games he's directed have always had excellent writing, even after translation, which says a lot about the original dialog (and the localization team)

Didn't Sakaguchi stand on stage and say that FFXV is a revisit to its roots and the real deal?

This is the first time I've heard the voice acting in cut scenes...I don't like it at all.
I also don't like how each have a different personality, but dress the same.

This is definitely a wait for reviews kinda of game for me. I thought for sure this would be the game to get me to buy a PS4. I still hope it's good, but I'll think I'll wait for FFVII Remake

dramatis

Them finding
I can't believe they don't have Twitter or chat apps or even text messaging

To be fair I considered the possibility they learned a bit of news and then sent Ignis to go pick up a newspaper (in a world with mechanical soldiers, airships, and smartphones). But then it makes no sense why they run from room all the way out to the middle of nowhere before trying phones lol

Suppose we consider that the scenes are all stacked together improperly, but even then Noctis's reactions in the room feel off for someone who is learning his father is dead and his country has fallen. Whoever wrote that bit didn't give time for the characters to breathe or react, really. They're in a big hurry for the game to get going.

I think Sakaguchi is weeping at this comment. The games he's directed have always had excellent writing, even after translation, which says a lot about the original dialog (and the localization team)

There's a huge difference between dialogue written to be read and dialogue written to be voiced.

I've been able to tolerate the writing in RPG's for the longest time because once you'd simply read along and move along without really thinking about it. When you migrate from that to writing for performances, that's when things can take a hit as it can make bad writing more painfully evident, especially when the performances aren't good.

My comment wasn't some slight at Sakaguchi's writing or anyone else's. It was a comment that, for a voiced JRPG, I've heard much worse.

Lunar15

Yeah, that and the weird lack of music are the only real jarring parts of this. I don't think the scenes themselves are that bad, but the music would help. As someone pointed out, there is supposed to be background music.

Weird video from Gamespot.

redfox088

Banned
FFXII has my favorite dialogue of any game ever.....I was only 16 when it was released so maybe I was too young to know any better.

dc89

Them finding

Agreed, I think this may have been more plausible if they kept the Gothic feel that Versus XIII had.

There's a huge difference between dialogue written to be read and dialogue written to be voiced.

I've been able to tolerate the writing in RPG's for the longest time because once you'd simply read along and move along without really thinking about it. When you migrate from that to writing for performances, that's when things can take a hit as it can make bad writing more painfully evident, especially when the performances aren't good.

My comment wasn't some slight at Sakaguchi's writing or anyone else's. It was a comment that, for a voiced JRPG, I've heard much worse.

True, it's no where near the worst or even among the worst and Cindy's VA is the only one that really annoys me. I guess I'm just missing my boy Balthier and his swag. All of the FF12 characters really

Why would they all have the same personality just because they wear black?
Whoa my bad, Wrote that wrong. I meant they have different personalitys but dress alike.
I find it odd they are all in black. Feel some of them would be dress differently. Just a nitpick, based off other FF games

Also I've been spoiler free since now, so I don't really know any back story on these guys. Perhaps they have a reason to dress like this?

Burbeting

Banned
True, it's no where near the worst or even among the worst and Cindy's VA is the only one that really annoys me. I guess I'm just missing my boy Balthier and his swag

Even though sound quality was bad in FF12, the performances were definitely the best what FF games have had so far. 15 isn't horrible on this front, though.

Astral Dog

I was excited about this game. However the style, the black leather everywhere, and the lack of women characters at all. Think I will be picking it up on sale, because this game is going to tank
Uh, that sounds overly negativr

Top Bottom