• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gamespot] Final Fantasy XV Story Cinematics [possibly spoilers]

Edit: Squire, I think we're talking about the same thing but in different ways... basically they need to get their shit together with localization and direction (because yes, Type 0 was one of the worst localizations I've heard in years). I just don't think they need Sean Bean and Norman Reedus to put out solid performances, as awesome as that is/would be.

- J - D -

Maybe FFXV just has that magical trifecta of bad script, bad localization, and bad voice acting. Doesn't have to be an either/or situation.

Type-0 is definitely a fitting analogue.

tuxfool

Banned
still not my point, but it's perfectly valid. I'm sure the counter to it is, "But they'd phone it in!" and my counter to that is that what we're getting isn't preferable, so they may as well.

I'd say that would be even more damning, that they got really bad performances from their famous actors. Looking at Destiny and the dinklebot I could see a lot of the same failures happening here.

This almost certainly is a failure at multiple levels, writing, casting and direction. You can salvage it somewhat piecemeal but for a story and dialogue heavy game you generally need it to be operating well at all levels. This is even more true if you have to sell characters whose archetypes don't elicit immediate buy-in from the general game buying public.

Skinpop

alright that might make the experience bearable. the english va is atrocious. though the japanese sounds pretty bad too I think it's passable.

Balls

Banned
You guys are crazy. I love Prompto's vest skirt hyrbrid.

$_57.JPG

If I could afford it I'd rock it for sure.

You guys are crazy. I love Prompto's vest skirt hyrbrid.

If I could afford it I'd rock it for sure.

You can go full 90's, I remember seeing people wear long sleeve flannel shirts and something like a vest or sweater over it, and it had a similar look. Basically the Hey Arnold! style. I used to think he wore a kilt all this time, but really it's just a sweater and flannel under it.

latest

Personally, I'm not a kilt man.

jett

D-Member
12 is far better. I like DQVIII a lot, but in retrospect those voices were more novel than they were good. It's still a really good game and it's very charming, but that acting is twice as hokey as FFXII is on its worst day.

DQ8's more cartoon-ish voice acting fits the game to a tee.

dan2026

Wait is her name Cindy or Cidney?

I thought it was supposed to be Cidney to play on the long running Sid character.

TLS Lex

I think it looks better than I expected but I'll definitely be playing with Japanese dialogue if that's how awkward and weird the English VA's are. Feels like a bit of a regression given how well translated and voice acted FF games have generally been since XII.

Skinpop

Wait what? You think the Japanese VA for FFXV sounds bad?

Why?

I guess it sounds ok on its own, my issue is that the anime style of voice acting and the crap writing is so jarring with these realistic graphics. It works great for something like persona but not for this game.

Said this in another thread but it might have more relevance here.

So apparently Noctis gets each new weapon type by
visiting the tomb of the previous kings or something. What if the last sword was found from Noctis's Dad / Regis crypt. That would make for a very emotional segment. Or Noctis finds Regis alive but mortally wounded, and Regis gives him the last sword as some sort of climax leading up to the final battle in Insomnia to drive out the invaders.

This could be the Aerith moment for FFXV. Something powerful and with an impact that will leave an impression on the player.

I'd be very surprised if Regis doesn't die in Kingsglaive.

Said this in another thread but it might have more relevance here.

So apparently Noctis gets each new weapon type by
visiting the tomb of the previous kings or something. What if the last sword was found from Noctis's Dad / Regis crypt. That would make for a very emotional segment. Or Noctis finds Regis alive but mortally wounded, and Regis gives him the last sword as some sort of climax leading up to the final battle in Insomnia to drive out the invaders.

This could be the Aerith moment for FFXV. Something powerful and with an impact that will leave an impression on the player.

Prompto should die instead. He'll try to laugh it off and ask what the problem is while he's bleeding to death, and will say he knew you always found his jokes a little annoying(not in an accusatory way, tho).

Everyone who hated him playing though the game will be completely overcome with guilt.

GOTY in the bag right there.

Top Bottom