• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gamespot] Final Fantasy XV Story Cinematics [possibly spoilers]

Koozek

Pretty sure they're still using Jack Fletcher as voice director with a lot of very detrimental oversight from Japanese producers that don't understand we think this shit sounds awful. That's what got FFXIII anyway, e.g. Vanille's voice/tone being the way it is in English.

Though I don't know who did XII's voices. That might be Fletcher, too.

Fletcher has been Casting and Voice Director in every singleplayer, mainline FF since FFX. FFXII, too, but compared to other FFs it had excellent localization work done by Alexander O. Smith and Joe Reeder. See this very insightful interview with all three of them: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/a-v...ization-and-voice-acting-of-final-fantasy-xii

FFXIII's localization and VA recording was a mess, yeah. Even though Fletcher had quite a lot of freedom to change lines because SE trusted him after all the years of working together since FFX, he still had to work strictly around the Japanese source material and the fixed Japanese lip-sync for many scenes. Quoting an post of mine from last year:
Okay, I'm listening to the interview with the main FF voice director I posted before, right now.

Some stuff about FFXIII:
- Trivia: Ashe's VA (Kari Wahlgren) from XII could have been Lightning, as her performance was very convincing, but SE doesn't want to reuse main character VAs in other mainline FFs
- Says they constantly received new versions of cutscenes and had to revise lines all the time which had to strictly fit into the same animations and speech durations as the most recent Japanese version, even though they later on got lip-synced to the English VA (about 20% of the scenes weren't lip-synced and they had to rewrite the English lines so that they fit the JP lip animations)
- Roughly 20% of the VA work had to be rerecorded when some stuff ended up sounding wrong later on for any reason
- The whole last chapter got rewritten by the Japanese side towards the end and split in two new parts before the JP VAs recorded it completely, so they had to wait for a translation of new stuff first (huge script, "stood at least 3 feet high")
- Generally got granted a lot of freedom from SE ("they had bigger fish to fry over there, so they trusted us") and changed intonations and pauses that might be impactful in Japanese but don't sound natural in English
- Sometimes added dialogue themselves to flesh out and pad some scenes that he felt were repetetive and SE just trusted them about it ("two months in you're like, hey, I'm kind of recording the same "Hey guys, don't be down! We can do it if we all work together as a team!" scene again 14, 15 hours in the game, so it's my job to understand where this comes in the story, when it's appropriate to happen again, and breathe new life into it")
- SE basically gave him free license to add his own lines ("Sometimes when you get a literal translation from the Japanese there isn't quite as much fun or as much color in, let's say, the sardonic or sadistic attitude of Lightning, the sort of bitter room that she's in as a character in the first half of the game") and he thinks the new lines "added a flavor to the English version that felt really good"

Watching it again, it's not his reaction that's the issue. It's that there's no music, no lip sync, and I have to believe there must be more context than "they find out from a newspaper" in the final game.

Yeah later in this trailer they run right up to Lucis and see the imperial army flying over. And the Japanese uncovered trailer where they call Cor on thier cell phones confirming the attack. Plenty of context.

I wonder if "moms are tough" was a flavor decision or a lip syncing issue.

Also, I'd really like to see what earlier drafts of the ffxiii ending looked like. Maybe the version we got attempted to mitigate disaster and still ended up as nonsense.

Squire

Banned
Fletcher has been Casting and Voice Director in every singleplayer, mainline FF since FFX. FFXII, too, but compared to other FFs it had excellent localization work done by Alexander O. Smith and Joe Reeder. See this very insightful interview with all three of them: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/a-v...ization-and-voice-acting-of-final-fantasy-xii

FFXIII's localization and VA recording was a mess, yeah. Even though Fletcher had quite a lot of freedom to change lines because SE trusted him after all the years of working together since FFX, he still had to work strictly around the Japanese source material and the fixed Japanese lip-sync for many scenes. Quoting an post of mine from last year:

Oh wow. For years I *really* wanted Kari to play Light. I'd just look at the character and hear her voice. That's so crazy.

The rest is pretty interesting, too. Sounds like they really tried, but yeah, the source material just isn't great.

Planeswalker

Neo Member
I'm fine with these VAs (although the lip syncing and stuff does seem off). The top VAs in every game end up sounding the same. Plus, I think there's lots of underrated VAs out there.

Finally, it's comparable to RL. Japanese voices are sometimes a bit too dramatized (where it doesn't feel like it fits like IRL). So, I don't mind if in games, there are some characters that talk only a certain tone even if they are supposed to feeling some emotional scene.

In Star Ocean 3, most of the VAs aren't well known but I still felt they did a great job at making the characters feel real and grounded. I like Fayt's VA especially. Fayt felt like just a normal person in some mess trying to do the right thing. Plus, there's lots of emotional scenes where he just talks like a normal person.

As for FFXV, outside of some of the accents, I'm fine with the voices.

Socivol

"The king was found...dead."

"No...Wait...Hold on."

That's not quite how I'd react.

This is actually a believable reaction when someone dies unexpectedly. My brother had an asthmas attack last year and became brain dead and eventually died and I stayed at work like nothing happened because it was so incomprehensible to me that that could have happened.

Arkeband

Banned
People referencing Heavensward's VA must not have noticed the dip in quality for 3.3, but up until 3.3 has been pretty good.

It's weird that FFXIV generally has good voice work even though virtually none of it is done with actors working together, they send in their lines remotely.

HMD

Why do the cutscenes look so amateurish? like they're straight out of FFX? Especially when FFXIII looked really good in real time.
The lighting is all weird and the animations looks unpolished, like everything is a missing a filter or something.

Socivol

Why do the cutscenes look so amateurish? like they're straight out of FFX? Especially when FFXIII looked really good in real time.
The lighting is all weird and the animations looks unpolished, like everything is a missing a filter or something.

I think it's because it IS unpolished. I am 100% confident these are not final.

benzy

Pre alpha footage strikes again!

Not sure if it was supposed to be sarcastic but I'm pretty sure it's from an old build, seems likely the same 2 hours Gameinformer got to play. It's missing a bit of the final post processing and color grading found in the Uncovered footage.

zsTb.png

0sTb.png

Squire

Banned
I'm fine with these VAs (although the lip syncing and stuff does seem off). The top VAs in every game end up sounding the same. Plus, I think there's lots of underrated VAs out there.

Finally, it's comparable to RL. Not everyone talks perfectly or has various perfect tones for each emotion in real life. So, I don't mind if in games, there are some characters that talk only a certain tone even if they are supposed to feeling some emotional scene.

That's actually why i don't really like JP voices (and anything similar) that much.

In Star Ocean 3, most of the VAs aren't well known but i still felt they did a great job at making the characters feel real and grounded. I like Fayt's VA especially. Fayt felt like just a normal person in some mess trying to do the right thing. Plus, there's lots of emotional scenes where he just talks like a normal person.

As for FFXV, outside of the exaggerated accents, I'm fine with the voices.

This is a weird point because it's really not comparable to RL. This is a story and the acting serves a function in that story. If it's efficient it communicates, on some level, what the characters think and feel from moment to moment and if it's effective, it gets the audience to empathize.

They don't seem to be going for any stilted performances here. It's not a whole party of Squall clones, these guys are very expressive. The acting and probably the direction just aren't good.

skypunch

Banned
The voice acting sounds... Not so good. It's all sounds a bit cheesy. Gladio's voice, in particular, sounds ridiculous. The character designs are also still so unlikable, they look plain dumb.

BlueWord

This is actually a believable reaction when someone dies unexpectedly. My brother had an asthmas attack last year and became brain dead and eventually died and I stayed at work like nothing happened because it was so incomprehensible to me that that could have happened.

Yeah, I actually thought that was fairly realistic response to a very sudden death. When a death is so unexpected like that, it really takes a while to process, like it doesn't feel real.

I actually have no problem with what we've seen of the VA. Yes, it has a definite "anime" quality, but it doesn't seem quite as obnoxious as XIII. And, as Benzy pointed out above, I think there's going to be additional processing in the shipped scenes, not to mention Shimomura's score.

Is the reason they can't use phones because Niflheim knocked out communications? Or do the phones only work within a certain range of Lucis? IIRC, isn't the rest of the world comparably low-tech to Lucis/Insomnia?

Arkeband

Banned
Not sure if it was supposed to be sarcastic but I'm pretty sure it's from an old build, seems likely the same 2 hours Gameinformer got to play. It's missing a bit of the final post processing and color grading found in the Uncovered footage.

zsTb.png

0sTb.png

I'm just being sarcastic because every piece of footage we seem to get that gives us pause is seemingly from 6+ month old builds, though this one does seem to be older.

There's a scene from Uncovered where Noctis is screaming into his cell phone and it sounded really emotional and expressive, though I don't speak Japanese so I can't tell if he was screaming Days Of Our Lives line deliveries like the English actors seemed to in this footage.

Dark_castle

Them finding
out about the invasion through a newspaper
is kind of dumb. Really disconnects you from such a big story event...

It really is. Felt really anticlimatic. Would have been more interesting like the original script of Versus XIII with Noctis and co. escaping from the city.

Also, Cindy's outfit is fucking embarrassing and awful. Beating the dead horse yeah, I cannot get over it.

Edit: Not sure why you need to spoiler tag that. This just happened in this very video.

Exentryk

Final Fantasy has never had good dialogue. I think the realistic setting is putting people's expectations out of whack. It's a JRPG, not an HBO original series.

I don't even think it's silly besides the fact that there is no background music at the moment. I actually think the voices and writing is pretty good for a JRPG.

Final Fantasy XV |OT| Pretty good for a JRPG

Final Fantasy XV |OT| It's a JRPG, not an HBO original series.

Dark_castle

I ragged on their localization on the official forums a while back.

https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/discussion/938/reminder-fix-your-english-localization/p1

Even tho I'm used to and desensitized to anime style dubbing/localization, it is quite obvious this standard is not good enough for the mass market that they are pursuing. How they can be so blind to that is baffling and peeves me of a lot.

They achieved absolutely wonderful standards for FF12 and NieR, so why not this? Grrr...

I like how you made a great point and constructive feedback that genuinely help to improve the game yet received a net of 9 thumbs down because of the damn white knights and fanboys who fucking defend every decision that Square Enix made.

MilkBeard

I actually like the scene in the room when they read the newspaper quite a bit.

The most jarring thing is that the lipsyncing is off, and it looks like this footage still lacks the final polish.

With music and animation tweaks, it will probably have better effect.

But I have to say, I really like Noctis' and Ignis' voices. I think the new Noctis voice is actually really fitting. The voice actor seems to have good potential.

Jesus, this game looks horrible. What the hell is going on with Final Fantasy.

It looks like some low effort from a random Japanese publisher.

The hairs, the characters, the story, the lack of shadows, the voice acting...

Eek.

Darkangel

Jesus, this game looks horrible. What the hell is going on with Final Fantasy.

It looks like some low effort from a random Japanese publisher.

The hairs, the characters, the story, the lack of shadows, the voice acting...

Eek.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

Final Fantasy XV has really weird looking graphics. It's like some parts are super detailed, while others look kind of below average. These cutscenes look like the developers left the fullbright console command on.

DeSolos

zsTb.png

0sTb.png

From what it sounds like the build played by press recently is actually newer than Uncovered. I think what we're seeing here is a different time of day. A lot of the official press material between Uncovered and E3 have used special cherry picked lighting conditions(particularly at sunset/sunrise).

It feels like this scene is really difficult for them to light as it's indoor, but you can see out door, and it's possible to see this scene at different times of day. Not sure if they do this, but these scenes could really use special post processing settings and lighting setups so they can ensure it looks good no matter when you encounter it(Witcher 3 does this). If they're already doing this, then they need to give this scene another pass, because the ambient lighting coming from their skylight is way too bright and is making the interior look flat.

artsi

Uncovered looks to me like it has just darker levels resulting in bad black crush. The new footage looks better.

To be fair, they said that the VA for Episode Duscae was just a quick job to get it done for the demo. At that point the main game's VA hasn't fully started yet. They also confirmed big changes in the directing of Noctis and Ignis' VA. Tabata acknowledged Noctis' English Batman voice a few months after Episode Duscae and later they posted on the official forum that they became aware of the feedback about Ignis sounding too distant and formal towards Noctis and would change it:

https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/discussion/comment/6156/#Comment_6156

Glad that he addressed the issue. I will probably end up using the JP dub. But accurate translation is much appreciated!

wmlk

The Japanese scene looked great during Uncovered.

I mean, I 100% get that I don't understand Japanese and I won't actually be getting the intended meaning, but I feel like Suzuki and the rest of the voice actors actually understand their roles with the way they talk about them. To my untrained ears, the Japanese voice acting has sounded stupidly good for this game in particular.

https://youtu.be/M4KqgmmzZPY?t=49s

The 30 second section from that timestamp especially. I can only hope that they actually have the Japanese script translated as part of the subtitles, but I know there's basically no shot at that. *sigh*

Seems like I was right. Gladio doesn't say
the king is dead
in the original JP audio in that newspaper scene.

I mixed the Duscae ending audio + video in OP. Lip sync is in English, but the scene is the same.

https://vid.me/5MMX

wtf man.

artsi

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

Final Fantasy XV has really weird looking graphics. It's like some parts are super detailed, while others look kind of below average. These cutscenes look like the developers left the fullbright console command on.

Global illumination does that when there's no direct light source, just scattered light from all around you (in shade, indoor scenes, overcast weather, etc.) that don't cast hard shadows. There should be some "secondary" shadows of course but I don't think any game engine handles that kind of GI complexity yet.

AC: Unity also had some complaints based on certain screenshots that there are no shadows because of that.

Direct vs scattered light:

Styles

I think SE should exclude dubs altogether for future mainline FFs and just have the original JP VA with localized subtitles as the default option for all versions of the game This would save them time, money and embarrassed Final Fantasy fans.

Renmyra

I think SE should exclude dubs altogether for future mainline FFs and just have the original JP VA with localized subtitles as the default option for all versions of the game This would save them time, money and embarrassed Final Fantasy fans.

I promise you that the mainstream audiences they're trying to reach are not looking for that in their games.

Ludens

Banned
Why for every bad video SE releases, people claim it's from an old build/pre-alpha version?
I mean, it sounds very dumb promoting your game with ancient builds within 2 months from launch.

Let's just blame everything on marketing atm, since the marketing of this game is just incomprehensible.

I'm honestly going to go ahead and do this. No music in the scenes, a collection of weird snippets with no context, and weird lip syncing is not really what people want to see to inspire confidence. Sure the game is still some months away so there's always aspects of it that'll be getting polished up until then (and even after, thanks to patching).

I feel like going on media blackout because I see or hear something that hypes me up and then they release a terrible looking clip and it's like what are you thinking.

benzy

From what it sounds like the build played by press recently is actually newer than Uncovered. I think what we're seeing here is a different time of day. A lot of the official press material between Uncovered and E3 have used special cherry picked lighting conditions(particularly at sunset/sunrise).

It feels like this scene is really difficult for them to light as it's indoor, but you can see out door, and it's possible to see this scene at different times of day. Not sure if they do this, but these scenes could really use special post processing settings and lighting setups so they can ensure it looks good no matter when you encounter it(Witcher 3 does this). If they're already doing this, then they need to give this scene another pass, because the ambient lighting coming from their skylight is way too bright and is making the interior look flat.

The way the characters are indirectly lit is really similar to the gameinformer footage, which itself just looked like it was completely missing the final lighting and shading touches of Uncovered. Even the outside scenes of the e3 video looks weird and off to me. We've seen in Episode Duscae where outside lighting affects indoors and it easily looks much better compared to this new E3 stuff that looks really flat overall.

gameinformer
ptTb.png

e3
ntTb.png

uncovered
qtTb.png

episode duscae
0tTb.png

It definitely doesn't look to have the finishing touches that Uncovered seems to depict. Duscae comes closer to Uncovered for in-door scenes.

e3
vtTb.png

uncovered
wtTb.png

wmlk

Them finding
out about the invasion through a newspaper
is kind of dumb. Really disconnects you from such a big story event...

We can prefer the original scenario and daydream it to be better than what we're getting now. I wouldn't blame anyone for doing that. The original premise sounded great.

But the whole idea for the new premise is that Noctis is left out in the cold by his father, his fiancé (Luna leaves to Insomnia when Noctis is on the way to wed her), Cor, etc. It's clear that they intentionally didn't tell Noctis of the events that were transpiring, and it took an offhand daily newspaper for them to figure out that Insomnia had been invaded.

artsi

e3
ntTb.png

uncovered
qtTb.png

Hmm this seems like the same scene with poorly adjusted levels in the Uncovered trailer (see all those crushed blacks), you can do the same to top one with Photoshop or by adjusting TV black levels. There's more contrast because of that, but I don't see any technical differences in lighting.

e3
vtTb.png

uncovered
wtTb.png

This example is more difficult to compare, the top environment is different and has the whole room saturated with (indirect, scattered) light by multiple huge windows, there's light everywhere which would make the lighting overall more flat. Bottom one seems to be darker, with light coming in from smaller windows and then scattering to the room. There could even be a secondary light source, but can't really say.

JayEH

If they want the games to bomb in North America sure.

MilkBeard

Hmm this seems like the same scene with poorly adjusted levels in the Uncovered trailer (see all those crushed blacks), you can do the same to top one with Photoshop or by adjusting TV black levels. There's more contrast because of that, but I don't see any technical differences in lighting.

This example is more difficult to compare, the top environment is different and has the whole room saturated with (indirect, scattered) light by multiple huge windows, there's light everywhere which would make the lighting overall more flat. Bottom one seems to be darker, with light coming in from smaller windows and then scattering to the room. There could even be a secondary light source, but can't really say.

Yeah, it's really hard to say if the footage is actually of a different quality build. We know that the lighting system used makes the game look drastically different at different times of day.

Hence the "Unity downgrade!" shenanigans for an indoor shot that were eventually proven false.

Skux

Does this game have an English lip sync? I can tolerate the voice acting but the moments when the sync is off just kill it for me.

Top Bottom