• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gamespot] Final Fantasy XV Story Cinematics [possibly spoilers]

Fitts

To think we went from XII fantastic dialogue and writing to this.

Ch

Along the lines of what I was thinking. Since the introduction of voice acting, FF has been worse off in terms of its storytelling buy XII was still quite good. It still had too much anime in some of the voice acting, but (most of) the writing and dialog was legitimately engaging.

CHC

Man Cindy's voice and outfit are both really embarassing. Whether or not I can deal with it depends on the quality of the game as a whole but she is realllllllly bad.

kvn

Pseudo hillbilly accents, "We should all get a picture with her" out of nowhere, every scene is horrible.

Burbeting

Banned
Along the lines of what I was thinking. Since the introduction of voice acting, FF has been worse off in terms of its storytelling buy XII was still quite good. It still had too much anime in some of the voice acting, but (most of) the writing and dialog was legitimately engaging.

FF has always been pretty anime, especially the entries were Nomura has been involved. It's not necessarily anything new (and obviously not a good thing).

CHC

Pseudo hillbilly accents, "We should all get a picture with her" out of nowhere, every scene is horrible.

I am really not looking for reasons to be overly critical here, I want to like the game.... but it pains me to say I agree. Seriously, all of the scenes are terrible. There are tons of long, weird pauses and all the dialogue is just extremely basic and juvenile sounding. And will there also be no music in these scenes for the final game?

kvn

I am really not looking for reasons to be overly critical here, I want to like the game.... but it pains me to say I agree. Seriously, all of the scenes are terrible. There are tons of long, weird pauses and all the dialogue is just extremely basic and juvenile sounding. And will there also be no music in these scenes for the final game?

Let's just blame everything on marketing atm, since the marketing of this game is just incomprehensible.

Fitts

FF has always been pretty anime, especially the entries were Nomura has been involved. It's not necessarily anything new (and obviously not a good thing).

Right. But purely speaking in voice performance terms XII is definitely more subdued than both X and XIII. XV appears that it's going to fall in line with the latter two.

MilkBeard

I think Sakaguchi is weeping at this comment. The games he's directed have always had excellent writing, even after translation, which says a lot about the original dialog (and the localization team)

I hate to use the word cringe, but that's the only way to describe Cindy. It's like they watched the Dukes of Hazard and modelled her after a super exaggerated Daisy Duke
I'm playing Final Fantasy VIII and the writing is pretty cringy.

I think, as someone said before, the more realistic the game looks, the more noticeable it is. Seeing realistic characters with really exaggerated personalities is off putting.

That being said, what I've seen of XV is not that bad. People are dialing in on the game and nitpicking everything. It's no worse than X from what I've seen.

I really don't see what's so bad about this. Is it the best writing and acting for a game? No. Is it worse than average AAA game? I don't think so.

Also at complaints about Noctis' reaction, maybe he's in shock? Denial?

artsi

I wish you could turn the voice acting off in this game and just have subtitles or speech bubbles.

You can, if that's what you want.

I'm going with JP voices.

Also at complaints about Noctis' reaction, maybe he's in shock? Denial?

Might think it's propaganda or just false reporting.
Remember in Episode Duscae ending they also said Luna and Noctis were dead, in the radio or TV broadcast.

CHC

Let's just blame everything on marketing atm, since the marketing of this game is just incomprehensible.

That's a perfect word for it. Honestly I just feel confused after watching this. I mean I know it's just a bunch of disjointed cutscenes, but then again.... that's what they chose to show me. The more I see the more I am getting serious MGSV vibes.... like a game that will impress people for a week and then slowly reveal all of its missing pieces as people actually stop and think back on it.

Is it worse than average AAA game? I don't think so.

I definitely do think it's below average. I consider something like Rise of the Tomb Raider "average" AAA writing quality (which isn't saying much). In terms of dialogue (especially the timing and sense of tone in each scene) this certainly is a step down, in my eyes.

Ray Down

Banned
I'm playing Final Fantasy VIII and the writing is pretty cringy.

I think, as someone said before, the more realistic the game looks, the more noticeable it is. Seeing realistic characters with really exaggerated personalities is off putting.

That being said, what I've seen of XV is not that bad. People are dialing in on the game and nitpicking everything. It's no worse than X from what I've seen.

Yeah 8 doesn't really have good writing, especially since I believe the English translation made Squall overly emo and more distant than he was in the Japanese release

Might think it's propaganda or just false reporting.
Remember in Episode Duscae ending they also said Luna and Noctis were dead, in the radio or TV broadcast.

Good point - particularly since he was sent off by a happy dad for his bachelor trip with the expectation of peace in the air, it may seem highly unbelievable.

I also think they're trying to set up Noctis to be really passive at the beginning (the sleeping motif) and then as events progress he'll have to learn to be a proactive leader (I.e., wake up).

OmegaDL50

Whoa my bad, Wrote that wrong. I meant they have different personalitys but dress alike.
I find it odd they are all in black. Feel some of them would be dress differently. Just a nitpick, based off other FF games

Also I've been spoiler free since now, so I don't really know any back story on these guys. Perhaps they have a reason to dress like this?

Yes. It's story related.

You can read Tabata's direct response to this here if you like - https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/discussion/comment/7252/#Comment_7252

Lebron

Didn't Sakaguchi stand on stage and say that FFXV is a revisit to its roots and the real deal?
That was about as genuine as John Williams telling us "Indy 4 is the best in the series" at a concert I attended before the film released.

Cidd

Them finding
out about the invasion through a newspaper
is kind of dumb. Really disconnects you from such a big story event...

Yeah makes no sense with them having cell phones, TVs and Radios all widely available.

Yeah 8 doesn't really have good writing, especially since I believe the English translation made Squall overly emo and more distant than he was in the Japanese release

I feel like Neku from The World Ends With You is what a good Squall translation would've come out sounding like

You'd think they would spend some money on good VO. I mean, I didn't expect it to be great, but I didn't think it would this grating. I actually liked Nocts voice in the Duscae demo.The Japanese version sounds great though.

I definitely do think it's below average. I consider something like Rise of the Tomb Raider "average" AAA writing quality (which isn't saying much). In terms of dialogue (especially the timing and sense of tone in each scene) this certainly is a step down, in my eyes.

Fair enough, I just don't agree. Maybe I'll feel differently when I get more of XV in context, but this seems about that level to me currently. The battle flavor text is definitely on the a little too goofy side though.

I love most of the old FFs, but the writing would not fair well with voice acting. That's not a reason not to keep striving for a higher standard in FF and I hope they do. But they're making progress - none of this is XIII bad.

Vire

Hilariously stilted and doesn't sound like an actual conversation is taking place.

Just four different actors recording their lines individually and then Square piecing them together with awkward pauses.

Hilariously stilted and doesn't sound like an actual conversation is taking place.

Just four different actors recording their lines individually and then Square piecing them together with awkward pauses.

It's no Witcher 3, that's true :-(. On the other hand, it sounds a lot better than what I've heard of Horizon so far, so it's splitting the giant RPG difference I guess.

I believe communication is being block so people in Lucis can't warn Noctis about what's going on.

Yeah, the radio is out in some of the earlier XV trailers too, clearly communications being jammed or some such.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Definitely below FFXIII VA level... damn. Why any wrpg lately features very good va when jrpgs sound so bad? Grrrrr

SoulUnison

Banned
Prompto is actually, kind of surprisingly, the standout voice work of the main quartet.

Noctis' "Hey... Wait... Hold on..." is hilariously bad considering what he's just learned.

I think one of the biggest problems is that, for a game about four close friends, there's a real "everyone recorded their lines separately in different rooms on different days" effect going on.

golem

Pretty hilarious how the crew walks around dressed like a j-rock group while everyone else looks normal.

Vire

It's no Witcher 3, that's true :-(. On the other hand, it sounds a lot better than what I've heard of Horizon so far, so it's splitting the giant RPG difference I guess.

Yeah, the radio is out in some of the earlier XV trailers too, clearly communications being jammed or some such.
At the very least we can switch it to Japanese that way we don't know it's terrible.

Prompto is actually, kind of surprisingly, the standout voice work of the main quartet.

Noctis' "Hey... Wait... Hold on..." is hilariously bad considering what he's just learned.

I think one of the biggest problems is that, for a game about four close friends, there's a real "everyone recorded their lines separately in different rooms on different days" effect going on.

This is disappointing, agreed. Is there any 100 hour fully voiced talky RPG that does Uncharted style voice recording?

At the very least we can switch it to Japanese that way we don't know it's terrible.

It is a nice option to have...

That's.. okay at best imo. I liked XIII better. No harm done if the japanese VA is better though (which seems to be the case from what I've heard).

Lebron

Pretty hilarious how the crew walks around dressed like a j-rock group while everyone else looks normal.

You mean the peasantry?

DZTXhmC.jpg

Top Bottom