• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Giant Wii Adverts

48g9cih.jpg

30tkolf.jpg

4g9742f.jpg

Well, if I found some new adverts in stores, I'll post them here.

AniHawk

I was supposed to put these up yesterday. Too much work involved in the alotted time.

We got the PS3 stuff in too, IIRC.

Guy already called dibs on the Zelda half.

AniHawk said:
I was supposed to put these up yesterday. Too much work involved in the alotted time.

We got the PS3 stuff in too, IIRC.

Guy already called dibs on the Zelda half.

Do you work at Gamestop ? Interesting. Can I ask you one question ? What is in your store the hype for the Wii in comparison to the Gamecube Pre-Launch ?

AniHawk

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Do you work at Gamestop ? Interesting. Can I ask you one question ? What is in your store the hype for the Wii in comparison to the Gamecube Pre-Launch ?

Uh... I don't know?

I was a customer when the GC came out, and they were busy pushing Xbox on people. Still, the store I had reserved the system at had about 30-40 systems reserved- which is about how many 360s we got in.

Wii hype is pretty low comparatively. Probably my best indication would be to check how many Wii Zeldas there are reserved.

AniHawk said:
Uh... I don't know?

I was a customer when the GC came out, and they were busy pushing Xbox on people. Still, the store I had reserved the system at had about 30-40 systems reserved- which is about how many 360s we got in.

Wii hype is pretty low comparatively. Probably my best indication would be to check how many Wii Zeldas there are reserved.

Ok. Thanks.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Here is a silly question, but do you know when RB/Gamestop will be taking Wii pre-orders?

thanks in advance.:)

AniHawk

neojubei said:
Here is a silly question, but do you know when RB/Gamestop will be taking Wii pre-orders?

thanks in advance.:)

October 1st or 2nd. Probably the 2nd since that's a Monday.

Rhindle

AniHawk said:
I heard if you buy five Wiis and trade them in, that guarantees you a place in line to wait for a possible chance to pre-order a PS3 (third shipment)!

AniHawk

Rhindle said:
I heard if you buy five Wiis and trade them in, that guarantees you a place in line to wait for a possible chance to pre-order a PS3 (third shipment)!

And that's only until the end of the year. You need to take advantage of this if you want to get your PS3 sometime before next August.

AniHawk

Nvidia said:
is that for ps3 too?

I would assume so. Not only is it PezRadar's date that he gave out (he works on the corporate side), but it's the week after the manager's conference, which is this week.

Nvidia

Banned
AniHawk said:
I would assume so. Not only is it PezRadar's date that he gave out (he works on the corporate side), but it's the week after the manager's conference, which is this week.
Cool, my ps3 funds is at $790.00 can't wait to perorder

AniHawk

Nvidia said:
Cool, my ps3 funds is at $790.00 can't wait to perorder
Best to call in the morning, ask if they're doing it, and head over first-thing. If you get a store with a responsible staff, you should be able to get through with a call about half an hour before the place opens, so you're able to nab a spot.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
AniHawk said:

I really hope it is the 1st. I do not think I can go to EB at 10am to pre-order one when I do have to work. I do not want to be bummed out to be told that all pre-orders are filled.

Damn I wished I pre-ordered on Amazon.com

AniHawk said:
Best to call in the morning, ask if they're doing it, and head over first-thing. If you get a store with a responsible staff, you should be able to get through with a call about half an hour before the place opens, so you're able to nab a spot.

Are you serious? IF so, I might have to take a half day on the 2nd and get there EARLY before they open, well like 5 hours before they open. Then call on my cell an hour before they open.

Mar

Here in Australia one of our major game stores is called Games Wizards. I had a chat to some of the guys today. Some things that I found interesting:

1. They have more pre-orders for the Wii than they do for the PS3.

2. Many of the people who had a pre-order for the PS3 changed theirs to a Wii when they heard the news that the launch had been delayed to March.

3. They have a deal where if you trade in 25 games and a PS2 or Gamecube, you get the Wii free. I remarked that I don't know anyone with 25 games for a single system. To my surprise he said that the deal is actually quite popular. And he's even seen people bring in 45 games. I'm guessing hardly any of those could be actual game collections. Sounds like either people are trading stolen games, or grabbing cheap titles for the specific purpose of trading in.

4. I asked if I could pre-order some games. They said as long as they have them in their system I can. I asked about Zelda and Monkey Ball. They said yep, they are set for release with the system and I can pre-order them.

EDIT:

Couple more points I forgot about:

5. I asked if I pre-ordered does that guarantee me a Wii on launch day. They said definately.

6. I asked if they expected any problems with supply. And he said no, everything is looking good in regards to their expected inventory.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Martoo said:
Here in Australia one of our major game stores is called Games Wizards. I had a chat to some of the guys today. Some things that I found interesting:

1. They have more pre-orders for the Wii than they do for the PS3.

2. Many of the people who had a pre-order for the PS3 changed theirs to a Wii when they heard the news that the launch had been delayed to March.

3. They have a deal where if you trade in 25 games and a PS2 or Gamecube, you get the Wii free. I remarked that I don't know anyone with 25 games for a single system. To my surprise he said that the deal is actually quite popular. And he's even seen people bring in 45 games. I'm guessing hardly any of those could be actual game collections. Sounds like either people are trading stolen games, or grabbing cheap titles for the specific purpose of trading in.

4. I asked if I could pre-order some games. They said as long as they have them in their system I can. I asked about Zelda and Monkey Ball. They said yep, they are set for release with the system and I can pre-order them.

Wait, you don't know anyone with 25 games for a given system? Do you actually know any gamers at all? Most people I know have like, at least 40 games for any system they own. Granted, they would rather cut their fingers off than trade them all in, but I'm just saying.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not sure if this is old news, but GAME in Ireland started taking Wii preorders yesterday. Not sure if it's the same across the board in the UK. I'm just about to go to put mine down, I'll apparently be number 4 on the list unless someone gets in ahead of me this morning :p

Mar

TheTrin said:
Wait, you don't know anyone with 25 games for a given system? Do you actually know any gamers at all? Most people I know have like, at least 40 games for any system they own. Granted, they would rather cut their fingers off than trade them all in, but I'm just saying.

Myself and everyone I know are multiple system owners. All our collections are spread out over... 4 or 5 systems. We have heaps of games. But not 25+ on any one system. I'd have guessed only single system owners would own that many? Or really hardcore gamers. I consider myself a moderately hardcore gamer. I own every system on offer (except the 360 so far). And I always have a game to play.

I can see your point though. But I guess mine is that, I'm surprised people would so willingly let a game collection like that go for a new system with no games included. If they really did buy all those games and play them and possibly finish them. I guess I just never thought such a trade in deal would be popular.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
AniHawk said:
Thank you very much sir! I've been needing and wanting to preorder a ps3 for a LONG time, I hope october 1st/2nd is the day, and I'll be sure to call first thing in the morning to get my name first on the list. :D

I just hope they dont pull that 50 dollar trade in bullshit. :lol

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Not to derail the thread too much, but I was told at a local EB that they would not be doing PS3 preorders at all. This was about two weeks ago, but I'm certainly not discounting the possibility of that particular clerk being an idiot.

Thraktor

gofreak said:
Not sure if this is old news, but GAME in Ireland started taking Wii preorders yesterday. Not sure if it's the same across the board in the UK. I'm just about to go to put mine down, I'll apparently be number 4 on the list unless someone gets in ahead of me this morning :p

Did they give any info on price/forced bundles? I'm tempted to put down a pre-order, but given Game's reputation of pricing systems €10 above the EU norm (although I'll admit the DSLite is being priced at the EU-standard €149) and bundling like crazy, I think I'll wait this one out and order online at launch, depending on shipping costs.

Also, if it happens to be the GAME on Dawson St in Dublin, did they give any word of how many consoles they expect to get in?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Thraktor said:
Did they give any info on price/forced bundles? I'm tempted to put down a pre-order, but given Game's reputation of pricing systems €10 above the EU norm (although I'll admit the DSLite is being priced at the EU-standard €149) and bundling like crazy, I think I'll wait this one out and order online at launch, depending on shipping costs.

Also, if it happens to be the GAME on Dawson St in Dublin, did they give any word of how many consoles they expect to get in?

Just put down my preorder - €20. They didn't mention price or bundling, but I'll ask about price at least from my friend who works there, and I'll post on that later.

On numbers, there was a manager there, and he was saying they were expecting to fill every preorder, and that they should be getting 1000-1500 by Christmas (I think that's between all the stores in Ireland). To compare, the store I was in only got 80 360s last Christmas (and it's the biggest in Ireland, and would have got the largest allocation). He said also there'd probably be a midnight launch, not that I'm interested in that.

(By the way, that manager actually mentioned the Dawson St. branch in particular, saying he was expecting a bunch of 'weirdos' to be preordering there (?!) :lol He said they'd be all coming in from Trinners, that they preorder everything and anything there)

Thraktor

gofreak said:
(By the way, that manager actually mentioned the Dawson St. branch in particular, saying he was expecting a bunch of 'weirdos' to be preordering there (?!) :lol He said they'd be all coming in from Trinners, that they preorder everything and anything there)

To be honest, I probably know a few of those guys, although I suppose this is getting rather off-topic.
'Weirdos' is probably an apt description

gofreak said:

GAME Liverpool phoned me a couple of hours ago to tell me they're now taking deposits. I was on the 'interest' list.

I'm gonna see if any of the Liverpool stores are opening at midnight first I think.

koam

According to some "leaked" letter from Gamespot that looks like someone created in photoshop and forgot to blend the black in properly, they will have Wii kiosks on October 29.

AniHawk said:

SM's won't even be back in stores on Monday.

AniHawk

Changed your SN, eh. I thought you said something to the effect of next week.

Anywho. We have 25 Zelda Wii preorders out of the 150 we have for Zelda overall. I'm not sure who's getting Wii without Zelda, so the actual number of system reservations will probably be around there.

I can't see them doing it on Oct. 1 because the manager conference doesn't end until Oct. 2, and managers won't even be back to work in stores until Oct. 3. So, I highly doubt they'd roll out this much-anticipated reserve campaign with no management in stores. Oct. 3 at the earliest.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
"Plays Gamecube Games"

:lol

That's the best they could come up with?

TheTrin said:
Wait, you don't know anyone with 25 games for a given system?

25 is abit high! I only got one system with < 25 games so far. ;_;

AniHawk

Lindsay said:
"Plays Gamecube Games"

:lol

That's the best they could come up with?

25 is abit high! I only got one system with < 25 games so far. ;_;

Seriously. When people hear about the downloadable NES/SNES/N64/Genesis (especially Genesis) games, they get all excited. On the other hand, the PS3 one has loads of info.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Is there any truth to this?
http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=30866
Now before you guys go crazy on me. I can't post my source here beacuse it's a regional manager for Gamestop and it was a phone call, but Ill pass along what I know and you should be ready to put down $50.00 on October 9th.. ONE DAY ONLY

EB and Gamestop will be taking initial pre-orders for the Nintendo Wii for ONE DAY ONLY starting October 9th, 2006. ONE DAY ONLY initially. They may take additional orders after this date but for now it's one day only. Gamestop is comfortable with getting enough units that they want to make sure YOU pre-order with them and not some other store this October.

Nintendo has locked in at least 1 Million units will be availalbe for launch, but they are hinting that there may well be MANY more than 1 million units and up to 4 Million by years end.

So Nintendo is positioning themselves for the Holiday Season... It should be a fun race..

Also if anyone doubts the authenticity of this, please see my Offical Press Release for the 360 Yesterday before it was broken elsewhere as my proof

Also call you local EB/Gamestops some stores know about this already some don't. It depends when there managers talk to them.

AniHawk

Hey guys, I heard somewhere that the Wii will only be available for preorder for ONE DAY on October 9, 2006 AD.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Bad_Boy said:
Argh, so much conflicting information. I have previously heard:

- No pre-orders at all
- Pre-orders taken only on 10/1 and 10/2
- No pre-orders, but you can "post-order", a period of time after the console is on the market in which you can exchange money for the right to own the console

And now:
- ONE DAY ONLY, OCTOBER 9TH DUDES

Wtf.

EDIT: Oh wait, that's for the Wii. I'm talking about the PS3. Which is a testiment to my confusion at this point.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Anihawk, do you know how many pre-orders you have for Zelda? Preferably both versions.

Top Bottom