• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop joins the club: $10 off certain games w/ Pro Membership

dugdug

Banned

Ridley327

Best Buy and Amazon must have really eaten into their business with how good the GCU and Prime deals have been. Hell, they still do since this is just $10 off, whereas those memberships would get you $12 off.

That's cool GameStop, but if you're going to join in on the fun, you're going to need to do better than that . Both GCU and Prime are still a better value than this.

Pales in comparison to GCU at Best Buy still.

I wonder how BB is making any money since it doesnt seem that anybody is attempting to match their program really. Amazon comes close but its only for newly released games, so basically full price titles only.

30 days after release? And I assume you can do this in store. That's a pretty good deal.

Edit: Wait, you have to spend $10 on a pass that lets you get $10 off on those 5 games only? Fuck that shit.

JPS Kai

They've experimented with certain EA Sports titles last year. Usually it's games where they guarantee the publisher a certain gross of sales and can afford to take the hit on $ because they can aim for season pass attachments.

Having NieR on there is an oddity but perhaps GameStop's internal office is gambling on something that I don't see.

Zutrax

Good on them, I purposefully stopped buying from my local Gamestop in lieu of Amazon Primes 20% discount, so full priced games are now equal price in both places. This might get me buying from them again here and there.

Couleurs

Even more incentive for them to pretend to be out of new copies to get you to buy used, where conveniently the deal doesn't apply.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Best Buy and Amazon must have really eaten into their business with how good the GCU and Prime deals have been. Hell, they still do since this is just $10 off, whereas those memberships would get you $12 off.

I haven't bought a new game at Gamestop in years. Just seemed insane when Best Buy and then Amazon came along and sell the same product for 20% less.

$10 off is pretty reasonable especially with PUP only costing $15 and it having other minor perks outside of the 20% off. If this was applicable to all new games I'd think about it at least.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
GameStop has done this before with the EA Pro Gaming Pass last year. It's not new but nice to see a variety of titles.

Of course, let the hate flow.

jman4371

Neo Member
They did something like this last year too with EA where if you bought Madden, you could get $10 off NHL, Battlefield, and Titanfall. Pretty nice deal but hope we just start getting a program that'll be a straight $10 off any new release.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Must be a PowerUp Pro Member, and they're doing the Amazon thing of being able to take advantage 30 days after release.

First 5 games are:

Nier: Automata - PURCHASE BY 4/5/17

Mass Effect Andromeda - PURCHASE BY 4/19/17

Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 - PURCHASE BY 5/24/17

Prey - PURCHASE BY 6/3/17

Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind - PURCHASE BY 7/5/17

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/landing/Pro-Pass/?tp=i-H43-8C-8hA-8dF6ro-1n-U4sS-1c-8dByAX-1WLQne&cid=eml_10003574&fq=6&om_rid=1036525468&om_mid=33428

Whelp, I had already paid $49.99 for my Mass Effect pre order there, gonna check in with the store and get them to write off the remaining.

edit: wait, you have to buy a $10 membership from the store in addition to Power Up membership ? the fuck ?

Catdaddy

The Amazon 20% off for two weeks post release is great - can give a title a week to settle in and still get the good price. Looks like GS is extending those on some. Got Nier over the weekend from Amazon and placed in the "when I finish Horizon" stack.

Somnia

Am I reading the website correctly in that you have to pay $10 to join the Spring Pass to get $10 off these games?

So you have to be a Pro member which is $15 a year and then also buy the Spring Pass for $10 and then you get the $10 off these games.

I think some people missed this.

Am I reading the website correctly in that you have to pay $10 to join the Spring Pass to get $10 off these games?

So you have to be a Pro member which is $15 a year and then also buy the Spring Pass for $10 and then you get the $10 off these games.

lol yeah, i just commented about that too. I am not sure if it means you pay 10 dollars to get the discount, or you come in and get the voucher for free that has a value of 10 dollars

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Off "certain" games? Way to be the worst offer of the three, Gamestop.

Best Buy stays winning by having 20% off of new game purchases regardless of their age.

ViciousDS

Banned
so it still sucks........how can you be worse than the other 2!!!! Limited time AND Limited selection of games crap is annoying. I love when shit goes on sale at best buy and then GCU brings it down even more.

Plus you have to pay for GameStops shipping...........Best Buy and Amazon both offer free release date delivery

Make Sure You're a PowerUp Pro Member
View Benefits Opens a New Window.
Get Your Spring Pro Gaming Pass In-Store for $10
Save On Select New Games within 30 days of release

AAANNNNNDDD You have to spend $10 for the season more on top of the membership.....are you fucking high?

That would make it more expensive than GCU, for a smaller discount on less games.

No thanks.

Wedzi

Banned
How much is a pro subscription running these days? Best Buy's Gamers Club is still the best option considering it's 20% off all games not just new ones for $30 for two years.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I can't break the cycle of not using Amazon because they want to try this method out now, in 2017.

It's a good start. I just haven't had a good reason to go there unless I wanted a controller or something that exact day.

Employee discount at GameStop use to be 15%, which is about what this deal does for their card members.

ViciousDS

Banned
How much is a pro subscription running these days? Best Buy's Gamers Club is still the best option considering it's 20% off all games not just new ones for $30 for two years.

Well according to the thing

you need Pro membership AND the spring season pass.....which total is $25...meaning there will be a summer pass, fall pass, winter pass....adding roughly $40 a year as well

Kill3r7

Best Buy stays winning by having 20% off of new game purchases regardless of their age.

Undoubtedly but for how long? BB cannot keep this up. Granted I have been saying this for years but we are finally starting to see signs of them tightening the leash.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Pointing out that this pales in comparison to what the competition has to offer is not "hate".

No, it's not. But it stems from hate.

GameStop just can't do what Amazon and Best Buy do. Games are pure loss leaders for them. Expecting them to is stupid. Yet, they are still a highedt selling video game retailer, beating those two.

Shit, Amazon's discount is better than my own employee discount. I get it.

Also, the program is free. A code is scanned that shows up for ten bucks and knocks ten bucks off the first game in the program you buy. Then you receive 10 dollar coupons off each additional game after. The earlier you sign up, the more you save. This happened last year as well.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wait, is this true? This is shit then lol
I'll continue to use Amazon

Yeah, weird as fuck. I've only been using GS for trade in points or money because they seem to offer a little bit more than best buy if you're a Pro member.

For new purchases, GAF's buy/sell topic is my first go to place.

dolabla

Looks like $14.99 for 1 year. I'd be willing to buy this if they extend it to all new releases.

And other gaming related items, not just games. I just got the discount on brand new Amiibo, and had no clue you got it off those as well.

ViciousDS

Banned
Undoubtedly but for how long? BB cannot keep this up. Granted I have been saying this for years but we are finally starting to see signs of them tightening the leash.

if BB backs down....Amazon will become even bigger in terms of the market......BB probably gets tons of other sales due to the reward certs. I buy a lot of other things from best buy if I can to support how fucking baller GCU has been. Has saved me probably well over 2 grand in game purchases

GCU Fo Life!

FO LIFE!

No, like, I am actually a member through 2022 so I am pretty much a member for at least the next 5 years.

I do like being a Pro Member at Gamestop when they have some trade in deals. I do well with those. But $10 off? They aren't really close yet to competing with Best Buy!

Pales in comparison to GCU at Best Buy still.

I wonder how BB is making any money since it doesnt seem that anybody is attempting to match their program really. Amazon comes close but its only for newly released games, so basically full price titles only.

I would say that Best Buy in general is able to offset any sort of negatives for what they do on their other parts of their business model (Geek Squad, sales of DVD/BluRay/etc and sales of appliances). I never really thought they did a lot with other stuff but I've consistently seen people lining up for launches of games only to find I was the only one getting the game and everyone else was there to shop for TVs or to buy other things)

Amazon of course can do it because they're Amazon.

Gamestop has one single business; selling games. They had to provide something of value but they're obviously trying to do something before they tank. Used game sales with Car Salesman tactics and pop culture toys only do so much.

They aren't losing money at 20%, they just aren't really making any money. They have tightened it up so GCU is factored into the big sales - holidays, etc. Remember, GCU used to cost a whopping $100 and the drop to $30 was only 2 years ago.

This gamestop program is a joke, $14.99 + $10 = $24.99 a year for PUR Pro + $10 off, meanwhile GCU is $15/yr and you get 20% off every game, no date mechanisms.

Top Bottom