• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop joins the club: $10 off certain games w/ Pro Membership

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Love this more than anything.

Competition is great for the consumer.

While not as great a deal as BB or Amazon. the fact that you can use trade ins toward the purchase make it all that much better.

mindatlarge

A long way off in terms of competing with Best Buy's GCU, imo. With no time limit on the discount plus free Best Buy reward certificates good for even more money off as you purchase games and Elite status also giving you free shipping, this is very unimpressive, especially since I keep my games and never trade them in.

Kaizer

Banned
So even if you're already a PowerUp Rewards member, you have to pay an additional $10 just to qualify to buy select games for $10 off? That's lame. That's like if in addition to my regular Amazon Prime membership, I was paying an additional fee for reduced pricing on games. Lame deal, Sad!

Kill3r7

if BB backs down....Amazon will become even bigger in terms of the market......BB probably gets tons of other sales due to the reward certs. I buy a lot of other things from best buy if I can to support how fucking baller GCU has been. Has saved me probably well over 2 grand in game purchases

Last I checked BB and Amazon are not particularly close in term of market share when it comes to videogames but this certainly will be true for most. I agree with you that if reward certs disappear I will buy from Amazon.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
So, let's see. I can spend $8.33 U.S. a month ($100 a year) for Prime and get discount off of all new physical in-stock games sold and shipped by Amazon.com LLC within two weeks of release at 20% off with free 2-day shipping + all the other perks Prime gives...

I can pay $1.24 a month over 2 years ($29.99 U.S.) for Gamers Club Unlocked at Best Buy and get 20% off all New condition titles regardless of release date, free 2-day shipping, Rewards points on my purchase, occasionally get a $10 certificate on a future game purchase following pick up of certain pre-ordered games (None yet in 2017), Trade-in bonus same as GameStop and discount on used games same as Gamestop, and in my case often get games shipped to my door at least one day early from Best Buy as well as occasional tie-in store promotions with Visa Checkout vs...

I can pay $1.25 a month ($14.99 for one year U.S.) for Gamestop Power UP Pro I get a Magazine (A decent one IMO), Trade-in bonus same as Best Buy, Discounted Used games same as Best Buy, Points on every dollar spent same as Best Buy, 10% off used accessories or for $.83 a month ($10 U.S.) I get points for every dollar spent like Best Buy.

Hrmm... options. Lol.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Also, the program is free. A code is scanned that shows up for ten bucks and knocks ten bucks off the first game in the program you buy. Then you receive 10 dollar coupons off each additional game after. The earlier you sign up, the more you save. This happened last year as well.

If this is the case, then sure I'll welcome $10 off my ME pre order. The local GameStop is on the drive from work to home, I'll check in there and see what's up after work.

I already have almost every game I'll want this year pre ordered for just over 35% off retail thanks to Best Buy GCU plus the $25 off $100 Visa promo. That will hopefully keep me from setting foot into a Gamestop unless I want to trade any of those in.

jjonez18

Pales in comparison to GCU at Best Buy still.

I wonder how BB is making any money since it doesnt seem that anybody is attempting to match their program really. Amazon comes close but its only for newly released games, so basically full price titles only.

Games and media is only bait to get traffic flowing through their appliances, home theater, and computer departments. I work there and in your average day, those three departments sometimes makes up over 90% of our store's revenue. With the rest being a mix of games & media, digital imaging, and car audio. I don't think GameStop has that luxury. They ARE games and media.

OT: Still pales in comparison to GCU and its deals. Rare 10$ certificates with preorders, 20% off all new games, VisaCheckout. I can appreciate the attempt, but its not nearly enough to bring me back.

Somnia

So even if you're already a PowerUp Rewards member, you have to pay an additional $10 just to qualify to buy select games for $10 off? That's lame. That's like if in addition to my regular Amazon Prime membership, I was paying an additional fee for reduced pricing on games. Lame deal, Sad!

Someone informed us that you don't have an extra $10, it is just included with your Pro membership so $10 off those games period. Website is just worded bad.

Seems like a bad deal. I'm not sure why anyone is still giving Gamestop money in an age where BB and Amazon exist. Do people like wasting money? Is it just because you can trade in games? Doesn't BB and Amazon also have trade in programs now as well?

PrinceKee

No thanks Gamestop I'll continue to use GCU and save $15. I haven't dropped inside a Gamestop in years and this service is worse than the competition...

ViciousDS

Banned
Yet it works with all games at BB, including amiibo.

I noticed amazon does amiibo as well now(new release for two weeks of course, but if you don't get an amiibo within those two weeks you most likely arent finding it anyways lol).......which is awesome.....so companies competing to give us the best deals.....bring it on!

Kaizer

Banned
Someone informed us that you don't have an extra $10, it is just included with your Pro membership so $10 off those games period. Website is just worded bad.

Okay, that sounds a bit better then, paying an additional fee is no bueno for me. I'll stick with Amazon for now though, unless they offer some deal for Persona 5.

grendelrt

I got my switch at gamestop because I traded in my old Ps4 and Xbox,

Would you like another game? No
Would you like a season pass for Zelda? No
Would you like an ammibo? No
Would you like a warranty? No
Would you like a case? No
Would you like a screen protector? No

No joke

Yeah I wouldn't shop there for 30% off.

So for $15 you get $10 off of certain new releases for a year...

Or at Best Buy, $30 gives you 20% off all games (which is more for new releases) for two years.

So in typical GameStop fashion, they're offering a slightly worse deal than their competitors.

Not to mention the games they sell aren't technically new. You get a big blotch of sticker residue on the case from that stupid seal that they use, fingerprints on the disc, and occasionally a missing code insert.

I thought this was a good move by Gamestop until I read the fine print. Even with a Powerup Pro membership, you need to buy a $10 "Spring Pass" to qualify for the coupon.

Which means that you literally save nothing unless you buy at least two games. Get it the fuck together Gamestop. This is why I only use them for getting hardware at launch. Literally no reason to buy software from them.

Not to mention the games they sell aren't technically new. You get a big blotch of sticker residue on the case from that stupid seal that they use, fingerprints on the disc, and occasionally a missing code insert.

This is an isn't true. What you're referring to are their "display" boxes, which they dole out once they're out of "sealed" copies of a new game. Any time they've tried to give me the "shelf" copy I always tell them that I'll buy it elsewhere. I refuse to pay full price for a game they consider "used" based on their policies.

I thought this was a good move by Gamestop until I read the fine print. Even with a Powerup Pro membership, you need to buy a $10 "Spring Pass" to qualify for the coupon.

Which means that you literally save nothing unless you buy at least two games. Get it the fuck together Gamestop. This is why I only use them for getting hardware at launch. Literally no reason to buy software from them.

This is an isn't true. What you're referring to are their "display" boxes, which they dole out once they're out of "sealed" copies of a new game. Any time they've tried to give me the "shelf" copy I always tell them that I'll buy it elsewhere. I refuse to pay full price for a game they consider "used" based on their policies.

By buying 2 games you then only save $5 per game. Guess it's a step in the right direction, but I'm not sure this was ever meant to compete with GCU and Amazon Prime.

I'll stick with prime. I do a lot of shopping on Amazon and the discount towards games is just a plus for me. Only thing I wish Amazon did was make the discount last longer.

JJH

Deal isn't worth stepping inside a Gamestop for me. I'll stick to Prime. Gamestop still taking L's.

netguy503

Wait wait wait. The OP needs to be updated.

Apparently, you need to buy a $10 "spring pass" card (so this won't last for long guys), then be a pro member ($15- $25 dollars I believe, I haven't been a pro member forever), and THEN you get $10 off only select games and only for the spring.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/la...7&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-D6u8Xoume2nOJo24kUggPA

LOL stay losing Gamestop! That is just a completely stupid business decision. I am on the floor laughing.

I already have almost every game I'll want this year pre ordered for just over 35% off retail thanks to Best Buy GCU plus the $25 off $100 Visa promo. That will hopefully keep me from setting foot into a Gamestop unless I want to trade any of those in.

Yeah that combo was amazing. Need the visa checkout deal to come back so I can put in Crash and something else lol.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wait wait wait. The OP needs to be updated.

Apparently, you need to buy a $10 "spring pass" card (so this won't last for long guys), then be a pro member ($15- $25 dollars I believe, I haven't been a pro member forever), and THEN you get $10 off only select games and only for the spring.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/la...7&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-D6u8Xoume2nOJo24kUggPA

LOL stay losing Gamestop! That is just a completely stupid business decision. I am on the floor laughing.

There's some confusion about this, another user above said that they actually scan a $10 code on your purchase, not that you need to pay them $10.

I'll be confirming this within an hour once I leave work and check in with my local gamestop.

Arkeband

Banned
Pales in comparison to GCU at Best Buy still.

I wonder how BB is making any money since it doesnt seem that anybody is attempting to match their program really. Amazon comes close but its only for newly released games, so basically full price titles only.

Increased foot traffic inside their store = more cross-selling opportunity and the feel of a more populated store = increased spending by other shoppers. Amazon might make a little bit of money from each sale, millions of times per day - BBY can lose money on certain sales and then make an enormous profit on certain items and from vendor kickbacks.

netguy503

There's some confusion about this, another user above said that they actually scan a $10 code on your purchase, not that you need to pay them $10.

I'll be confirming this within an hour once I leave work and check in with my local gamestop.

Make Sure You're a PowerUp Pro Member

Get Your Spring Pro Gaming Pass In-Store for $10

Those first two step on their own site make it seem like you need to buy a pass for $10 while being a pro member.

Look forward to your feedback though.

PR_rambo

Banned
Best Buy GCU is still king. I get so many points buying from them, they give you 20% off new games even if they are on sale, and their shipping is really fast.

So glad I became a member 3 years ago, never buying from gamestop again!

So more expensive than GCU, and less to choose from. Good job GS, really working hard to keep your business from going down the gutter.

Top Bottom