• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop joins the club: $10 off certain games w/ Pro Membership

Wedzi

Banned
Well according to the thing

you need Pro membership AND the spring season pass.....which total is $25...meaning there will be a summer pass, fall pass, winter pass....adding roughly $40 a year as well

Oh fuck that. Amazon Prime and Game Pass it is.

Whales

Banned
as always, the place that was made to sell videogames offers the worst deals compared to literally ALL the competition

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I have a thought for Gamestop. Get a bigger store-room for stock. Stop gutting actual disc cases for storage, and line up kiosks which assist people with game selection along the walls (Think of a cell phone store, but instead of cell phone displays, they have kiosks). The kiosks have questions about your preferences. Are you interested in: [Game Systems] [Games] [Acccessories]..etc. You make a selection, if [Games], a button for Alpha title search and buttons for genres pop up..etc. You get to a game title, and can play trailers for the game and access review scores. Game systems, videos, info on the system, accessories associated..etc. You make choices, and ring up at the front. If you want any warranties..etc, you choose them. You aren't annoyed by someone other than a greeting when walking in.

They then need fewer employees, and those employees can engage the customer with fewer interactions, but can say, I noticed you bought a Nintendo Switch. That's an excellent system and should be great to play. Zelda is amazing! I also noticethat you have not purchased a screen protector or Warranty. Just to mention, It has been known to have some issues with the screen being scratched sliding in and out of the dock during normal use. Can I interest you in the details of our warranty or in a screen protector? We have several types available to protect your investment.

The kiosks can also show that they have a pre-owned copy of ____ available and show the savings. It's far less invasive than an in your face person.

It also prevents them from gutting those game boxes and selling them as new. That saves labor, and annoyance for the customer since all displays are digital and can be constantly updated. It also frees up wall space for other items from their other products or company partnerships, though, they need to keep up sections/displays to keep it a gaming store, and not a ThinkGeek store.

Use that saved money to pass on the savings to other programs so they can keep up with programs like Best Buy.

Just a thought.

Aselith

Best Buy and Amazon must have really eaten into their business with how good the GCU and Prime deals have been. Hell, they still do since this is just $10 off, whereas those memberships would get you $12 off.

Plus Best Buy does it for ALL new games including ones that are already on sale

The Flash

Banned
ALtbSqT.gif

netguy503

So more expensive than GCU, and less to choose from. Good job GS, really working hard to keep your business from going down the gutter.

and only for the spring (at least that's what the "spring pass" name implies). I'm in no rush to give them my money. You shouldn't be either.

NolbertoS

Pales in comparison to GCU at Best Buy still.

I wonder how BB is making any money since it doesnt seem that anybody is attempting to match their program really. Amazon comes close but its only for newly released games, so basically full price titles only.

The secret to GCU is not just games but keeping you in the store and buyin other stuff. I admit that since most of my gaming purchases are from BB, I have bought occasional movies, amiibos and the odd electronics from them. I'm sure BB makes money in bulk GCU sales rather than no sales on MSRP pricing.

The secret to GCU is not just games but keeping you in the store and buyin other stuff. I admit that since most of my gaming purchases are from BB, I have bought occasional movies, amiibos and the odd electronics from them. I'm sure BB makes money in bulk GCU sales rather than no sales on MSRP pricing.

Yep! This is exactly why Gamestop doesn't want to try competing with GCU or Amazon Prime. They get most of their profit from used games, so they would much rather sell a used copy of X new game for $54 than sell the sealed version for the same price.

Ridley327

Yeah, those gift certificates come in fast and furious with GCU and it makes it really hard to shop on even Amazon when you're getting $20 off so frequently. It's a highly effective feedback loop they've got.

hollomat

Banned
GCU makes this "deal" look terrible.

GCU with visa checkout makes this "deal" completely laughable.

I got nier automata for $39 including tax. At GameStop it would've cost me $55 with this.

BiggNife

This sounds not that great and honestly I really wouldn't want to support a company as shady as GS anyway.

I'm just gonna stick with the Amazon Prime discounts.

GameStop has done this before with the EA Pro Gaming Pass last year. It's not new but nice to see a variety of titles.

Of course, let the hate flow.

It's always intriguing the duty you feel to prop up the corporation you work for. It's great they're finally doing something to compete but it's still much less than others do so us as consumers don't have to care or like it. But if that's considered hate, that your deeply loved corporation isn't seen as the best thing ever then by all means...

This doesnt sound too good.

It's better than nothing and could be useful if something sells out or you're in a pinch but yeah I'll keep using what I have been since it's cheaper.

Jawmuncher

GCU>Prime Discount>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gamestop $10 off pass

It's at least something. But looking at it, you're just paying more. Unless gamestop is the only resource for games you have, or you have a ton of stuff to trade in all the time.

Halabane

So in typical GameStop fashion, they're offering a slightly worse deal than their competitors.

Yeah but they're so cute when they try.

Honestly I don't know what they can do. They don't have enough other things to sell to take losses like Amazon and BB can to get you to come to their site for other things. They are dinosaurs.

LogN

The discount is smaller, but he yearly membership costs less than Prime and GCU. Of course you could argue the other stuff Prime gives you, if you use it just for gaming, 99.99 a year is steep.

GameStop is 15 a year. I'm sure this will get flame though :)

The discount is smaller, but he yearly membership costs less than Prime and GCU. Of course you could argue the other stuff Prime gives you, if you use it just for gaming, 99.99 a year is steep.

its 15 for the pro membership. You need a 10 dollar "Spring Pass" for the sale on top of that. And I am assuming they will have another pass for every other season

$15 is the same as GCU though....

PMS341

Coming from a company that has no problem ruining the credit of a good amount of their customer base, the $10 fee on top of the initial $15 for PUR is hilarious.

Somnia

its 15 for the pro membership. You need a 10 dollar "Spring Pass" for the sale on top of that. And I am assuming they will have another pass for every other season

Coming from a company that has no problem ruining the credit of a good amount of their customer base, the $10 fee on top of the initial $15 for PUR is hilarious.

Incorrect, it's been discussed by gamestop employees in here already the spring pass does not cost $10 extra, you basically get a $10 off coupon spring pass when you go in, use it on your game and then you get $10 off coupons for the rest of the games.

Wording on the webpage is bad.

hollomat

Banned
Incorrect, it's been discussed by gamestop employees in here already the spring pass does not cost $10 extra, you basically get a $10 off coupon spring pass when you go in, use it on your game and then you get $10 off coupons for the rest of the games.

Wording on the webpage is bad.

That's exactly the same as $10 extra. Instead of paying $10 and getting a game for $50 and getting the spring pass, you pay $60 for a game and get the spring pass. There's literally no difference.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ok, sorry for the late reply guys, i should have updated thread sooner..

Preface, this does need you to be a Pro member.

I visited gamestop on my way back from work and this was the discussion with the store manager:

- there is no extra $10 pass that the customer needs to buy, so that is just the website having some real bad wording.

- HOWEVER.

- The way the discount works is that *FIRST* you buy one of the games on the list, no discount on the first game. But once you buy the first game, at that point they assign the unique code to your power up membership.

- That code is then usable for all the rest of the games on the list.

- So there's 5 games on the list, minus the first one that you won't get a discount on, the maximum savings a customer can have is $40. $10 spread across the remaining 4 games.

This royally sucks because I was expecting my Mass Effect pre order to have $10 taken off, but that's not how this works apparently.

Somnia

That's exactly the same as $10 extra. Instead of paying $10 and getting a game for $50 and getting the spring pass, you pay $60 for a game and get the spring pass. There's literally no difference.

Guess you're right based off the above, good ole gamestop.

Yeah this seems kind of stupid.

None of it applies to me anymore, since I've gone all digital. Going all digital actually saves me more money then even GCU.

GCU and Amazon Prime give you a $12 discount already.

It sucks that it doesn't apply to the first game. This deal just got even worst. Stick with GCU or Prime.

netguy503

Ok, sorry for the late reply guys, i should have updated thread sooner..

Preface, this does need you to be a Pro member.

I visited gamestop on my way back from work and this was the discussion with the store manager:

- there is no extra $10 pass that the customer needs to buy, so that is just the website having some real bad wording.

- HOWEVER.

- The way the discount works is that *FIRST* you buy one of the games on the list, no discount on the first game. But once you buy the first game, at that point they assign the unique code to your power up membership.

- That code is then usable for all the rest of the games on the list.

- So there's 5 games on the list, minus the first one that you won't get a discount on, the maximum savings a customer can have is $40. $10 spread across the remaining 4 games.

This royally sucks because I was expecting my Mass Effect pre order to have $10 taken off, but that's not how this works apparently.

What I would of done, and what you didn't include in your story as something you did was say "hey, i'm a valued customer and I come here alot. I respect you can't give me $10 off my first game on this list, Mass Effect, and I'm fine with paying fool (not a typo, but can be spoken as full) price for it (and not getting the free nifty steel book with it Best Buy gives GCU members) but since I did buy one of these games on your list prior to the promo can you please apply my purchase to the promo now and give me my $10 off the other four games code". I hope you did this as I would have in your shoes.

But THANK GOD I don't have to shop at gamestop!

Also now another poster on this page is posting more details of their new promotion roll out and it is just as laughable. $70 for a year membership that includes a "FREE" game!?! No shit, it includes a free game your paying for the game plus five dollars with that purchase. It's not free at all. I'm sure that will be a top seller for them, though, and would love to see the sale numbers of this new program once it starts.

Thewonandonly

Yo a pro membership gets you a magazine right? Cause if so I already have this and if I can buy the games digitally there that would be fantastic :)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yo a pro membership gets you a magazine right? Cause if so I already have this and if I can buy the games digitally there that would be fantastic :)

Yeah, it's supposed to get you 1 year of GameInformer, though I don't think I've received my copies since January.

Looks like BB GCU is still the GOAT, just renewed another two years last month. Now if BB can work on their trade in center deals and such, that would be awesome.

GameStop forgetting KISS principle.

Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Feels like the particular incentive that the thread title gets at requires hoop jumping according to a few clarifying posts that have ensued. Like, your first game on the strictly limited list of titles doesn't even get the discount? And then your next game on the list does?

You HAVE TO buy a game at full $60 to save like, 12% on the next one? When your competition is just offering a flat 15% discount?

Man, as a former assistant store manager, I'd really hate to be prepping to try and teach this pitch to my team.

The fact that the discount is limited to a specific range of selected games and requires one full price purchase to activate (which for any customer that can do simple fucking math) means you have to guarantee GameStop you're going to buy at least two games to save a little over 1/3 of what you could save at Amazon or Best Buy. Buying two games from Amazon or Best Buy under their membership services nets a grand total 30% discount on the purchase of two games. Buying two games from GameStop nets a grand total of ~12%...

... GameStop, this was not hard to calculate... Both of those competitors have decent trade ins, too, so you can't be all like "yeah give up parts of your existing collection to subsidize cost! Our competitors can't do that!"

Sigh.

GameStop employees deserve better. They're positioned to be a positive force in the games industry but their corporate overlords don't seem to know the realities of purchasing games nowadays. It's like they live in some squeaky clean lab where they test their sales pitch methods on limited AI robots.

pezzie

GCU always intrigued me but I can't justify paying for it since I already pay for Amazon Prime, which I would be doing even without the game discount. I do most of my shopping there and the Amazon Store Card gives me a flat 5% cash back on any purchases, which just stacks with the other discounts.

zenspider

Pales in comparison to GCU at Best Buy still.

I wonder how BB is making any money since it doesnt seem that anybody is attempting to match their program really. Amazon comes close but its only for newly released games, so basically full price titles only.

They don't. They make money on keeping you walking into a Best Buy. Margins on games at retail is about 15 percent.

netguy503

They don't. They make money on keeping you walking into a Best Buy. Margins on games at retail is about 15 percent.

Then I guess they don't make money off me. I'm elite so free shipping on everything and a week early online access to black friday. Haven't been in the store for quite awhile now. And I'm GCU member until 2022 so no reason to go in the store to re-up my membership (though I hear you can do that online now).

Top Bottom