• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: Preorders for PS3/Wii can only be made in used game tradeins. IN HAWAII

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
TheJollyCorner said:
isn't a GameCube only worth like $10 trade-in value?

...and do you have to have the original box/packaging?

If trading in my Cube, REmake, and RE4 only give me like $15, it's not worth it. -_-

I believe it's like $25.

$25 out of the box?

Do they give you anything for a memory card? :D

I'm also assuming you can trade in movies for 'trade-in' value towards these systems, as well?
Christ... I can't believe I'm even entertaining this ridiculous idea. :(

MrDaravon

IF this is true, I'm going to see if I can move store credit I already have towards it. I horribly took advantage of a previous trade in deal, and have somewhere around $300 in credit, currently all on preorders. Even if I can though, I am completely done with GS/EB after this (again, assuming this is true), I've stood up for them sometimes in the past, but this is absolute bullshit. I can probably get some friends together and camp somewhere, not that big a deal.

.hacked

:lol

Hope they are looking forward to "processing" a few 100 shitty DVDs, Xbox and GC games on Monday :D

I have a card with $400 trade in credit from a few months ago, so maybe I can use that. If not I pity the poor fools.

explorer

Guys, I can confirm that this is real. We're currently tripling our staff for Monday. We're getting 10 ps3s and 20 wiis per store. no bullshit.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
explorer said:
Guys, I can confirm that this is real. We're currently tripling our staff for Monday. We're getting 10 ps3s and 20 wiis per store. no bullshit.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I'm going to the mall right after my kids go to school.

explorer

Scalemail Ted said:
No way a cube is only 25 bucks in credit... if true that totally sucks.

Yes, it's 25.00. I can confirm that as well. Ps2 = 50, Xbox = 50, PSP droppped to 70 :lol and DS is 40

explorer said:
Yes, it's 25.00. I can confirm that as well. Ps2 = 50, Xbox = 50, PSP droppped to 70 :lol and DS is 40

Damn it. i dont have anything else to trade in. I already traded it to get this stupid gift card. ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! What on earth am i gonna do with this giftcard. Im frustrated now. :-(

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
not only this, but I bet once the systems do launch, the fine folks at eb/gamespot will force bundles on those that did pre-order. Can you say, "Which 2 games and which accessory would you like with that?"

:D

scofield

open_mouth_ said:
not only this, but I bet once the systems do launch, the fine folks at eb/gamespot will force bundles on those that did pre-order. Can you say, "Which 2 games and which accessory would you like with that?"

:D
yup...

http://www.ebgames.com/gs/wii/wii_signup.asp

"check back soon for information on our exciting pre-order bundles"

so, if you want to give us your business, it will not be easy:

a) you must give is no less than 5 of your games, that we may make a 200% profit
b) you must buy an additional remote, nunchuck and wii game of our choosing (whichever is least likely to sell)

the trade-in thing may be a rumor, hopefully. but i guarantee they'll force some ****ty bundle on you. good thing i'm too poor to buy one ^_^

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Haha, this is the dumbest shit ever. And why are people on gaf considering taking part in this anal raping? Obviously people on gaf must know of at least one more videogame store in their respective regions?

Brobzoid said:
Haha, this is the dumbest shit ever. And why are people on gaf considering taking part in this anal raping? Obviously people on gaf must know of at least one more videogame store in their respective regions?

Argh, Cause I have a $360 gift card to them. This so effin sucks!

Danj

Brobzoid said:
Haha, this is the dumbest shit ever.

I agree, I am amazed at the sheer scale of asshattery involved in this scheme. Games shops over here would never get away with trying such a thing.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
What are yall so angry about? They have a captive audience and an obligation to maxmize revenue, especially at the end of the year. People who will be trying to buy a PS3 on launch day qualify as desperate. Nobody is making them do it, they are voluntarily participating in what will be one of the all-time great retail gougings.

If you don't like it camp out somewhere else, spend a fortune on Ebay, or just don't buy a new console until they're widely available.

Brobzoid

Scalemail Ted said:
Argh, Cause I have a $360 gift card to them. This so effin sucks!

then ****ing wait... or use it for something else? nawww, fuk dat. if you're in $360 with them, you must like the pain....

<.<

>.>

edit: taking advantage of desperate people is sad and cruel :(

I bet you would trade a blow-job for some insulin with a five year-old diabetes patent. You abusive you! >:|

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Thanks EB/GS. You just made my decision to wait until next year a whole hell of a lot easier (no way I'm camping out at another store).

Guileless

Brobzoid said:
edit: taking advantage of desperate people is sad and cruel :(
|

Marking up generators and hotel rooms after Katrina is sad and cruel. Squeezing extra profit out of people who are spending hundreds of dollars for luxury electronic items they must have on release day....not so much. I would describe this more as good business sense.

scofield

Guileless said:
Marking up generators and hotel rooms after Katrina is sad and cruel. Squeezing extra profit out of people who are spending hundreds of dollars for luxury electronic items they must have on release day....not so much. I would describe this more as good business sense.
not entirely... making money at the expense of alienating your best customers is not good business sense. if this turns out to be true, they've severely alienated many of said customers. i already have a hard time stomaching any dealings with eb... this would quite possibly keep me out of the place forever...

Guileless said:

Oh great.. another expercience I can relate to... living in the New Orleans area and all.

I hate this thread and everything it stands for.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Do we have any indication of when someone like Amazon or any other US online outlet will start taking preorders? How likely are they to ship preorders before the end of the year?

Unfortunately my visit to the US is the week after GS stops taking preorders :/

Brobzoid

But it still pains me to see the people in this thread bitch and whine as they lament what to give up to have a ps3 earlier than me.

And it's not good buisness sense, I would not pre-order one if I had to give up shit I liked. and in such huge amounts. I assume they've lost a shitload of pre-orders this way. But then again they can only supply so far... :\ I guess you're right. Guileless am winnar.

Tieno

Man if they tried to pull this shit here, I'd tell them to **** off. They don't even force bundles here with launches. Just bought me a 360 at launch and went somewhere else to buy some games 10euros cheaper.
Demand is so ****ing high that they're going to get away with it as the people who won't buy there will easily be replaced. I do hope they're going to get a backlash from this though.

Guileless

It's not unethical, though it very well could alienate customers. The decisionmaker must weigh this possibility against the primary need to maximize revenue in order to turn a profit. I would guess there would be enough willing participants to justify it.

scofield

Guileless said:
It's not unethical, though it very well could alienate customers. The decisionmaker must weigh this possibility against the primary need to maximize revenue in order to turn a profit. I would guess there would be enough willing participants to justify it.
their decision maker should be fired :) out of a cannon. into the sun.

sangreal

gofreak said:
Do we have any indication of when someone like Amazon or any other US online outlet will start taking preorders? How likely are they to ship preorders before the end of the year?

Unfortunately my visit to the US is the week after GS stops taking preorders :/

I assume you're talking about PS3

Toys R Us said they will start taking preorders online and in stores this month for ps3

I got every xbox 360 I preordered online on launch day despite the shortages

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
sangreal said:
I assume you're talking about PS3

Toys R Us said they will start taking preorders online and in stores this month for ps3

I got every xbox 360 I preordered online on launch day despite the shortages

Thanks, this maybe opens some opportunities for me. (And yeah, it's for PS3, I hope to get a local Wii preorder maybe next week). I hope ToysRUs will let me place an order online, as long as the shipping address is in the US (the billing address will likely have to be mine here in Europe).

edit - will Gamestop do any online preorders? What are other places to look out for?

Vieo

I've noticed people use the phrase "draconian practices" in fiance a lot. I'm not exactly sure what draconian means, but would this qualify as a draconian practice?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I have a serious question: is this legal?

I was under the impression that you HAD to accept cash for anything you were selling in the US. Credit, trade ins, and livestock bartering can be optional, but can you really decide you wont take cash for something? It says on the ****ing bill that it has to be accepted for all debts public and private.

Also, I hope sony and Nintendo **** GS over and give them very few if any consoles as a result.

Danj

Vieo said:
I've noticed people use the phrase "draconian practices" in fiance a lot. I'm not exactly sure what draconian means, but would this qualify as a draconian practice?

Main Entry: dra·co·ni·an
Pronunciation: drA-'kO-nE-&n, dr&-
Function: adjective
Usage: often capitalized
Etymology: Latin Dracon-, Draco, from Greek DrakOn Draco (Athenian lawgiver)
1 : of, relating to, or characteristic of Draco or the severe code of laws held to have been framed by him
2 : CRUEL; also : SEVERE <draconian littering fines>

BooJoh

StoOgE said:
I have a serious question: is this legal?

I was under the impression that you HAD to accept cash for anything you were selling in the US. Credit, trade ins, and livestock bartering can be optional, but can you really decide you wont take cash for something? It says on the ****ing bill that it has to be accepted for all debts public and private.

Also, I hope sony and Nintendo **** GS over and give them very few if any consoles as a result.
I dunno if it matters, but they're not selling you goods, they're selling you a service. Granted they also sell used games as new. How 'bout this Game Store monopoly we've got here? Aren't we all glad GameStop bought up all the competition?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
BooJoh said:
I dunno if it matters, but they're not selling you goods, they're selling you a service. Granted they also sell used games as new. How 'bout this Game Store monopoly we've got here? Aren't we all glad GameStop bought up all the competition?

Yeah, I guess they are selling you the right to buy the system at a later date, not the system itself. I would still be interested in the legality of this, since GS has taken very questionable legal stances on things (like used games sold as new) in the past. And yes, Monopolies suck, I miss funcoland :(

Tarazet

Well, I think I can actually take advantage of this. There are a bunch of games cheap at Gamecrazy right now that get decent trade values at Gamestop. On top of that, I just bought a bulk order of Top Gun for GC, Lion King 1 1/2 for GBA and Elf Bowling for DS for $1.50 apiece. I'll be getting my mileage out of those little babies.

Edit: ****, but I have to work until 11 am and I can't get back to my EB until about 12..

Scotch

So enlighten me, are Gamestop/EB the only stores in the US where you can preorder? Cause here in Holland there's tons of chain stores that accept preorders at console launches. Seems kinda strange to me that there would be only two of them in a country like the United States.

Tarazet

Scotch said:
So enlighten me, are Gamestop/EB the only stores in the US where you can preorder? Cause here in Holland there's tons of chain stores that accept preorders at console launches. Seems kinda strange to me that there would be only two of them in a country like the United States.

Gamecrazy (Hollywood) is a third, Gamerush (Blockbuster) is a fourth, and sometimes the "big box" stores like Target and Toys 'R' Us will take $5 deposits on certain games. And there are also scads of online stores you can use.

glad i preordered at amazon yesterday. i'll wait the extra day or two for my system. i have nothing i would happily turn in right now.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I wonder what the chances are I could stroll into Costco on launch day and get one...Probably slim. Any idea what their bundles are going to be like?

I'm calling bullshit too. I just called my store (an EB) we received no email or no call regarding that. Another reason I think it's bullshit is because we HAVE received emails about people faking Madden coupons that look like official GameStop coupons. I believe this is just another one of those instances.

Top Bottom