• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: Preorders for PS3/Wii can only be made in used game tradeins. IN HAWAII

Father_Brain said:
I don't understand why this is such a bad thing, if true. *shrug*

Imagine, if you will, that you never trade games in, and have preordered many games and systems from EB/Gamestop in the past, perhaps even the exact same branch... which would, if their business practices weren't so ****ed up, make you a "loyal customer." Now you can't preorder your system there, unless you buy several games and immediately trade them in (essentially paying extra to preorder).

I dunno man, if I hadn't gotten fed up with them awhile back and almost stopped shopping there entirely already, this would pretty much do it (even if only part of the above would be true for me).

Ranger X

LOL this shit can't be real.

I feel like in 1990 when i wasn't able to sign up for an account in a videostore without a driver liscence or credit card!

GAMESTOP, THERE IS NO LAW THAT OBLIGE ME TO TRADE WHEN I HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY. fockers.

That's so stupid, i hope they get alot of complaints.

Ranger X

PezRadar said:
Can we edit the first post so people who arent reading the thread wont post retarded comments like the one above.

Not me that is retarded, it's the first post that isn't edited. Retard yourself.

Ranger X

PezRadar said:
I acutally called your statement retarded not you!

!!! =]

That's ok. But who's making retarded comments? Someone retarded. You didn't said i was retarded directly i know but still saying i was.
So anyway, what's the rundown on that Gamestop bullshit? That was fake news or something?

MrDaravon

PezRadar said:
I was just using that as an example of cheap used games in the stores that u can turn around for the $10 extra

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=938855

Another..

And i can tell you lots of these games are available if you just look and edge/gi cards stack.

I know how to flip games, but there's no almost no way that even if you're smart with your buys, that you will not spend MORE than $50 in games just to flip them for preorders. Even with the extra $10 + GI card, assuming you're getting the minimum $1 per game (which is what you're going to get for any game that is THAT cheap, like MP2 there), that's a total of $14 in credit for three games ($1 + $1 + $1 + $1 (10% extra) + $10 (current trade-in bonus)). There are very few games that you can get THAT cheap like MP2 there, and it's unlikely that you're going to be able to get 3 games for under $14 bucks. Plus on top of that stores will only take one copy of a game from you, and there are very few games that are exploitable like MP2 at that low of cost. Generally you're looking at $4.99 games, which if you buy with the GI card you'd be getting 3 for about $14. So let's even say in theory you manage to find 12 $4.99 games that you can use with the trade (only one copy of each, and no sports/demo titles) and you break even with that. That is a HUGE amount of effort to go to get around it.

Taichu

Anyone who even considers doing this... :lol

I'm getting a Wii on launch day, and here's how. Drive to your local Target 30 min before they open. The lot will most likely be empty, save for some "Hot Wheel" guys (collectors who check weekly shipments of Hot Wheel toys). Just wait in your car, laugh at the Hot Wheel crazies, and stroll in when the employees open the store. Grab yourself a Wii, a Zelda, and get the **** out. Did this with Gamecube and DS.

JB1981

Taichu said:

I'm getting a Wii on launch day, and here's how. Drive to your local Target 30 min before they open. The lot will most likely be empty, save for some "Hot Wheel" guys (collectors who check weekly shipments of Hot Wheel toys). Just wait in your car, laugh at the Hot Wheel crazies, and stroll in when the employees open the store. Grab yourself a Wii, a Zelda, and get the **** out. Did this with Gamecube and DS.

Won't be that easy if you're getting a PS3, though.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Taichu said:

not everyone is getting a Wii.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I just called EB games here in Gatineau,Canada

PS3 Deal

the manager said the deal here is if you trade 10 games your SURE to get the console on launch day and 50$ in credit give you chance to have one if their still some left after the other deal.

Christopher

OverHeat said:

the manager said the deal here is if you trade 10 games your SURE to get the console on launch day and 50$ in credit give you chance to have one if their still some left after the other deal.

:lol No, just no. 10 games...

I guess "playing it first lolz" comes with this stigmata than go for it, it I play it tomorow or 3 months from now it doesn't matter to me, esp not wortht the 10 game admission.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
OverHeat said:

PS3 Deal

thats still stupid. i dont have 10 games to trade in. :/
that better not happen in the US.

jesus, just take my cash gamestop/ebgames. i dont want to trade in games.

JB1981

Bad_Boy said:
thats still stupid. i dont have 10 games to trade in. :/
that better not happen in the US.

jesus, just take my cash gamestop/ebgames. i dont want to trade in games.

That'd be my whole 360 library! Ha! **** these a-holes.

The lot will most likely be empty, save for some "Hot Wheel" guys (collectors who check weekly shipments of Hot Wheel toys).

so this is what that shit was!! When i was trying to get my 360 i'd drop by the local target before school every morning before they opened. there would always be a line behind me and maybe 1 or 2 of them was there for a 360. the rest ran to the toy department and i never knew why. thank you, i feel as though my life is complete now

Moderation Unlimited said:
I understand why they are doing this...to prevent EBay reselling, obviously.

It just happens to be a retardedly cumbersome system.

No they're not. They're obviously doing it for the extra $$$. GS knows people will preorder PS3s and (maybe) Wiis no matter what the obstacle. They'll make a hell of a lot more reselling all the trade ins they get than they would have by simply taking cash.

What does GS care whether we resell them on ebay? They're just a corporation looking to max out their bottom line.

I apologize if this has already been said, but I couldn't be bothered to sift through 7 pages of this nonsense.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
OverHeat said:

PS3 Deal

I'm guessing it's the same for other EB in quebec...I don't even have 10 PS2 games.

Do PC games count?

lethial

Reeeeeeee
OverHeat said:

PS3 Deal

Ouch, shot through the heart!

I just went to GameStop to reserve Okami, they freaking put me on a list to be notified on when I can come back in to be put on the list to reserve a Wii. They were not even taking names for the PS3 because they don't think they are going to receive any at all. They have no idea when either pre-order will be and they did not hear about anything of trading in games to pre-order a Wii or PS3.

Ranger X

OverHeat said:

PS3 Deal

And this is obviously not true because reality is they will take more pre-orders than the number of console they will receive. Also, the employees will take their own PS3 before the pre-orders making it even worse.

Fongul

If there is any reason NOT to shop at these stores, I think this would be the indication. I'll take Gamecrazy for my specialized game shopping (along with Playasia & NCSX) & Costco for my console purchases (free lifetime warranty FTW).

manxor

They gotta limit those pre-orders somehow... and I guess this will help keep some of the "I'm just going to sell it on Ebay" people away. Since you practically have to be a gamer in the first place to pre-order w/trades. Those Ebay shillers-for-a-living grannies won't be able to just walk in and pre-order a PS3 on Monday.

Myself, on the other hand... will. :D

Avutta1978 said:
they got to be joking right

i was planing to get 3 ps3,

one for myself, one fo rmy boy in the uk, and one for ebay.

i don' t150 dollars worth of shit to trade.

Bingo, that's why they're doing what they're doing. They want gamers buying the system, not ebayers looking to resell the system.

reaver18

fastasleep said:
Bingo, that's why they're doing what they're doing. They want gamers buying the system, not ebayers looking to resell the system.
making people trade stuff in to preorder it won't affect that at all. It's just stupid greedy business that'll end up doing more bad than good. Why put your customers through the hassle of having to bring in shit to trade in instead of just having them plunk down $50?

manxor

...and I can pick up a Wii at Target/Best Buy/etc... the Wii's in a very different boat than the PS3. ...and waiting in a launch line for hours would be a waste of my time & money. I do the whole "How much do I earn an hour, is it worth it for me to wait in line?" thing.

No, it's not.
If I want a PS3 this year, this path sounds like it'll be the only convenient option.

Pellham

Banned
fastasleep said:

Let me ask you something, why the **** would they care? Nintendo and Sony should be the only companies caring about this since they are the ones that will lose out on that extra markup that the ebayed systems would go for. Of course, it's not illegal or anything either.

Crisis

Banned
So to summarize, this turned out to be true? (Hey, 7 pages, I'm not searching through all of them to find confirmation)

crunker99

Crisis said:
So to summarize, this turned out to be true? (Hey, 7 pages, I'm not searching through all of them to find confirmation)

we have personally called 7 eb/gamestops and my readers have called another 10 and not even 1 of them has heard about this deal much less even konws if they are taking ps3 pre-orders or when so i would say FALSE for now

Pellham said:
Let me ask you something, why the **** would they care? Nintendo and Sony should be the only companies caring about this since they are the ones that will lose out on that extra markup that the ebayed systems would go for. Of course, it's not illegal or anything either.

Here's a clue for you. When pre-orders open, greedy ebayers will dirve to every fricking store within 100 mile radius, whip out their visa card and plunk down a pre-order on every ps3 system they can get a hold of. If you require trade ins for a deposit, you send them packing off to another store chain, leaving more systems available for gamers and not ebayers.

Second, retailers make nothing and even lose money selling systems. You want gamers buying these systems who will buy a second controller and 3 or 4 games. Ebayers want the system, they don't give a flying you know what about the games or accessories, which will not be in short supply.

holy shit if this is true what a horrible precedent. As if they weren't big enough pricks about preordering, now they are basically making you pay them extra just for the privalege of preordering!?! Can't wait until EB/Gamestop go under. It'd go a lot faster if you people would stop shopping there already.

Christopher

fastasleep said:
Here's a clue for you. When pre-orders open, greedy ebayers will dirve to every fricking store within 100 mile radius, whip out their visa card and plunk down a pre-order on every ps3 system they can get a hold of. If you require trade ins for a deposit, you send them packing off to another store chain, leaving more systems available for gamers and not ebayers.

Second, retailers make nothing and even lose money selling systems. You want gamers buying these systems who will buy a second controller and 3 or 4 games. Ebayers want the system, they don't give a flying you know what about the games or accessories, which will not be in short supply.

OH PLEASE, your tagent is doing nothing, but trying to justify this RIP OFF...please dude, for the "gamers" :lol

fastasleep said:

please. This has more to do with gamestop getting their hands on more used games that they can sell and make a killing $$ from.

LakeEarth

Do we really need to pre-order the Wii? Nintendo products usually aren't "release date"-crazy. I still remember seeing plenty of N64s for sale on launch day, and when I went to get a DSlite early at Walmart, there were only four people who came early for it as well. A week later, yeah they were gone. I'm just thinking that getting a Wii at a Walmart at launch won't be that hard.

wait a minute, EB/GS make nothing off this?? Lets do some math (just as a for instance...)

I go into EBgames and trade in Madden 07 360 and NCAA 07 360

Madden 07 = $25 Store credit
NCAA 07 = $25 Store Credit

That $50 is put directly towards a system I'm buying from them, so they get the credit back immediately. THEN, they sell the used games for the following price:

Madden 07 = $54.99
Ncaa 07 = $54.99

Total = 109.98

So, they have given you $50 store credit which they are essentially getting back immediately. THEN, on top of that, they are getting an extra $59.98 JUST to have you preorder. now of course it doesn't necessarily mean they are going to sell those used games right away and make that profit, but still, don't say "OH THEY ARE MAKING NO MONEY OFF THIS!"

FrenchMovieTheme said:
wait a minute, EB/GS make nothing off this?? Lets do some math (just as a for instance...)

I go into EBgames and trade in Madden 07 360 and NCAA 07 360

Madden 07 = $25 Store credit
NCAA 07 = $25 Store Credit

That $50 is put directly towards a system I'm buying from them, so they get the credit back immediately. THEN, they sell the used games for the following price:

Madden 07 = $54.99
Ncaa 07 = $54.99

Total = 109.98

So, they have given you $50 store credit which they are essentially getting back immediately. THEN, on top of that, they are getting an extra $59.98 JUST to have you preorder. now of course it doesn't necessarily mean they are going to sell those used games right away and make that profit, but still, don't say "OH THEY ARE MAKING NO MONEY OFF THIS!"

exactly, they are basically charging you a fee just to preorder.

helium121

Banned
I manage an EB and have not seen or heard about this deal. As far as the Ebayers reserving multple systems argument, the reserves are all computerized. We can see from store to strore to see if there are any matching last names or phone numbers. When the 360 launched, we had to call a couple people and inform them they were only getting one system and they had to choose which store it was from.

I for one hope this is not true because I have 9 games reserved and $250 in store credit because I traded in all my stuff to get a Wii. I have nothing left to trade in.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
****ing bullshit i tell you. and whats up with this were not going to preorder bullshit they are doing. if they know they are going to get 5 ps3's, they better ****ing allow 5 preorders.

Duderz

Banned
Why doesn't someone just call a GameStop store in Hawaii and see what the deal is?

EDIT: **** this shit I'll do it myself.

Guy said they just put their posters up and starting Monday you can come in but must trade in $50 worth of stuff to pre order a Wii or PS3

So..sounds like it is confirmed in Hawaii.

FYI, I called

GameStop #3518
Kapolei S/C
91-590 Farrington Highway
Kapolei HI, 96707 US
(808)674-1158

Ebay greed Vs EB/GS greed?

I side with neither. The plan is however that I will go into an EB/GS in November since due to all of the chaos nobody will notice me buying DoA X2.

Buying a PS3 next year anyway(I'm going to call it the VF5 launch).

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Appreciate your services Duderz.
Hopefully this kind of shit STAYS in Hawaii. (no offence to any hawaiian posters here, but this shit is rediculous)

Oneself

OverHeat said:

PS3 Deal

Told you f**kers I was not dreaming. And I'm not from Gatineau.:lol

And by the way, it's not 100% sure to happen and no exact date is set. But if it happens, it will be the same for all of Canada. They talked about it in last week-end's annual managers meeting.

fastasleep said:

They also probably want to sell software. A person buying a PS3 from them to sell on ebay is probably not going to buy any games with his PS3, while someone buying one to play it will.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Silly question time, but I'm guessing all this means that Gamestop won't be taking preorders via their website?

What are the chances of EB doing so? Didn't both take preorders for 360 online?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
:lol I just called a local EB and he said in a recent corporate email they called the PS3 a hopeless disaster, and that they'll be pushing the silver PS2 this holiday along with Xbox360 and Wii stuff.

That's some funny shit.

Top Bottom