• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: Preorders for PS3/Wii can only be made in used game tradeins. IN HAWAII

Just to let everyone know, I just talked to two different Gamestop's in my area and talked to two gentlemen, neither knew anything about this. One was very helpful and said that he had heard nothing from his corporate office at all, no emails, and he also let me know that you can register your email on gamestop's website to get on the email list that will let you know when they do go on preoder. i would call all the EB's in the area (we have 4 i think). But i see no reason to do so. However, to be safe, I plan to call monday morning when they open. Also, for all you people freaking out over this, its just 50.00 in trade in credit, i know that gamestop rapes people on their trade in values, i worked for them for 5 years, but come on, its 50.00. Its not like they are asking for 200.00. Moreover, if you REALLY want to get your hands on a ps3 this fall (considering how hard it was to find a 360 last year) this is actually a great deal. It is enough under the radar that you can probably get up early Monday morning, go to gamestop (or get a parent to go there for you youngin's) when they open, walk in with your trades reserve it and be like one of the top dawgs on the list almost guaranteeing yourself one. Its actually great if gamestop is doing it because only the most "in the know" people will have the headstart on the other people wanting a ps3. If they wait for system's launch day then you are going to be just like everyone else, fighting the lines and crowds, and people camping out. I think this is a great plan. For me, I just traded in a few things totalling 33 bucks, kinda sad I didnt wait a tad longer. I may just trade in the xbox and cube, no sense in keeping them, the other systems are backwards compatible anyways (if this does turn out true that is).:)

Also, for all you people freaking out over this, its just 50.00 in trade in credit

...there's no way to possibly defend this, so don't try. No offense of course, none at all, but this is the dumbest idea of all time.

Link1110

I hate the idea of trading in my games, but $2400 EBay profit looks better to me than a few PSP games, so I'll be biting anyway. :D

Amir0x

Banned
If you traded in games a few weeks back and still have some credit left over from the trade-in, would that be able to go toward this? I'd like to switch from FYE pre-order to this, since i'm getting the games here anyway

Amir0x said:
If you traded in games a few weeks back and still have some credit left over from the trade-in, would that be able to go toward this? I'd like to switch from FYE pre-order to this, since i'm getting the games here anyway
it sounds like no if this is indeed true. it says you can't use store credit and i'd presume money against previous games would count as store credit... but there you go.

Wow, Gamespot/EB corporation just becomes a worse business every day. Do they just want to destroy themselves or something? First of all, I can see something like this for PS3, but since Wii has a lot more systems coming, I really don't think it is necessary. The other thing is that it is obvious that this corporation is trying to stop people from pulling out when they don't get their system (you aren't going to be able to get trade-ins back if you want to cancel your preorder), thereby forcing customers to commit to them as a retailer for the system.

Total. Rip. Off.

A good retailer would service the needs of the consumer, not force the consumer to service their needs. There shall be lots of alienated consumers, especially PS3 consumers, over this, and that's just dumb. The other thing is that with the backwards compatibility of both systems, who is really going to want to trade things in that they might be able to use on the system? That just makes it stupid from the consumer's perspective. On top of all the stupidity, they won't even guarantee that you get a system, which makes the deal even more worthless (especially for PS3 users, but it makes Wii wanters shaky too). Good way to turn everyone away!

Funny how so many people jump to conclusions.

Have you tried calling your stores? East/Central are open now... I'm sure most of you can find your answers there and deduct to what is going on.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
PezRadar said:

Have you tried calling your stores? East/Central are open now... I'm sure most of you can find your answers there and deduct to what is going on.

You know rationality goes out the door during times like these. Even when people do call their stores, some are suspicious that they're not getting told the truth, or that the employees themselves are in the dark about some super secret ninja-esque promotion.

People will probably argue this until the stores open on Monday.

Amir0x

Banned
PezRadar said:

Pez. Just say 'no this is bullshit.' Then I can lock this thread.

Argyle said:
Interesting. I assume you live in Hawaii?

I just called my store and they've heard nothing of it. The manager even said there is no EB games in Hawaii (maybe a Gamestop but not EB). So far we got the first poster who got his info from GAMEFAQS, some guy in Hawaii saying their testing it, omg rite whom I think is just joking around....and tons of other people freaking out (hey, myself included). I call BS.

Amir0x

Banned
Sugarman said:
I just called my store and they've heard nothing of it. The manager even said there is no EB games in Hawaii (maybe a Gamestop but not EB). So far we got the first poster who got his info from GAMEFAQS, some guy in Hawaii saying their testing it, omg rite whom I think is just joking around....and tons of other people freaking out (hey, myself included). I call BS.

heh, actually the gamefaqs board got it from a CAG poster who happens to be a veteran CAG poster, and judging from his posts he hasn't made anything up in the past

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Destroy themselves? Bad practice? Illegal for not taking US currency? WTF?

Its preorders, y'all. They're taking a form of payment to so they can make the ATTEMPT to get a certain number of systems into their stores. Its fairly brilliant, actually. They'll start getting in a large influx of used games into their stores that will help their bottom line during the christmas season, when alot of their sales is of new product (PS3, Wii, 360, new games for each), and they make little profit off of new games/systems.

And its not like their raping any of you anyway. Most of you trade in stuff to preorder games already, right? Hell, I thought that alot of you gaffers already hated EB/GS already (including the fellas that WORK there!), so you weren't gonna give them your business in the first place.

I could understand the bitching if it was 100-200 dollars worth of credit needed for the preorder. But 50 bucks? Whatever.

Argyle

Sugarman said:

Well, I know for a fact that there are no EBGames in Hawaii...

...but there is at least one Software Etc (unless they rebranded when I wasn't looking) and a bunch of Gamestops. So if the flyer is real, the fact that it only has a Gamestop logo makes sense if it's Hawaii-only.

Additionally it looks like the OP on CAG is from Hawaii (judging by his profile)...

Father_Brain said:
I don't understand why this is such a bad thing, if true. *shrug*

What if you have nothing you want to trade in? I've been trading in games for years, and at the moment I don't want to let anything go. I don't want to keep Yakuza, but I'm letting a friend borrow it...that's about all I can think of.

Damnit, Amirox, I forgot it was from CAG...I'm still gonna say BS, though.

Argyle said:
Well, I know for a fact that there are no EBGames in Hawaii...

...but there is one Software Etc (unless they rebranded when I wasn't looking) and a bunch of Gamestops. So if the flyer is real, the fact that it only has a Gamestop logo makes sense if it's Hawaii-only.

Additionally it looks like the OP on CAG is from Hawaii (judging by his profile)...

*applaud* Good sleuth work there my fine sir.

Software Etc. is a GameStop company btw.

JB1981

PezRadar said:

I just called Gamestop. Told them this news was all over the internet. Gave him details about when it started, how long it lasted, how to do it, etc. The guy literally had no idea what I was talking about. He said he'd "look into it." Anyway, I'll keep on it and see what I can find.

Argyle

PezRadar said:

Of course, which is why I mentioned it :)

The Hawaii stores will be opening in a few hours, I'm sure someone can give them a call to verify what's going on...

mre

PezRadar said:

And there's confirmation, folks. Right from the horse's mouth. Hawaii only. :lol

JB1981

Pellham said:
okay then, **** Hawaii. Give us a NORMAL preordering system for the rest of the US plz.

I'm gonna print out the flyer and show it to the guy's at Gamestop later. If this thing is going down Monday, there's no way I'm missing out on an opportunity to get a PS3.

mre

JB1981 said:
I'm gonna print out the flyer and show it to the guy's at Gamestop later. If this thing is going down Monday, there's no way I'm missing out on an opportunity to get a PS3.

Are you in Hawaii? If not, I don't think taking the flyer in would do any good since they probably wouldn't have any pre-order skus in the system yet.

JB1981

mre said:
Are you in Hawaii? If not, I don't think taking the flyer in would do any good since they probably wouldn't have any pre-order skus in the system yet.

So it's confirmed that this is Hawaii only?

mre

JB1981 said:
So it's confirmed that this is Hawaii only?

Pez pretty much confirmed it with out confirming it. If you read up the thread somebody pointed out that the flyer is branded Gamestop only, and everyone thought that was odd until Argyle mentioned that there are no EB Games in Hawaii. Pez then applauded his sleuthing skills.

So I'd guess that Hawaii is a test run to see how it goes.

Ponn

Banned
WTflyingF is going on here?! We still don't have confirmation on this except for the stretch that this is Hawaii only? Quit playing games Pez and give us the lowdown. Don't be like that kid with the magnifying glass torturing ants.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Remember guys this IS A TEST!!!

They may do the samething here in the states too if everything goes well.

Thaedolus

mckmas8808 said:
Remember guys this IS A TEST!!!

They may do the samething here in the states too if everything goes well.

...Hawaii is part of the United States, unlike Washington DC...

mre said:
Pez pretty much confirmed it with out confirming it. If you read up the thread somebody pointed out that the flyer is branded Gamestop only, and everyone thought that was odd until Argyle mentioned that there are no EB Games in Hawaii. Pez then applauded his sleuthing skills.

So I'd guess that Hawaii is a test run to see how it goes.
Couldn't that also mean the test run is in all Gamestops, but not EB's at first?

bumpkin

QuickKick89 said:
The only loophole I can think of is that right now we have a deal where you can get $10 extra added to your trade-in for Xbox, ps2, psp, DS, and GC. The deal does say that this can go towards it.

...so feasibly, you could buy about 12 games for $5 apiece, trade them all in, get 10 for each of the 3 games (making 40) and then the amount for the regular tradeins should cover the last 10 bucks.

I expect many people to start doing that.
I know of another loop-hole; being friends with the manager. :)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
well i hope to god its hawaii only, i was really freaking out over this. shits not funny.

ok it is a little funny, but only if this is fake :lol

cartman414 said:
One of the EB guys I just called said they're thinking about not doing any PS3 systems preorders at all.
yeah, last time i went to ebgames they told me the same thing. they have to find how many they are getting first. funny thing was, when i went the chick at the counter told me Wii's are fine to preorder, and this is before we knew the release date and ship numbers.

MrDaravon

PezRadar said:

Yeah, but you can only trade in 1 copy of a game, so even if you take advantage of the extra $10 trade right now, what are you going to do for the other 11+ games if you don't have anything to trade in?

GS/EB is flat out losing my business completely if they do this in the US, no way around it Pez. I've got a Walmart, Target and Best Buy in the same shopping center as GS.

SailorDaravon said:
Yeah, but you can only trade in 1 copy of a game, so even if you take advantage of the extra $10 trade right now, what are you going to do for the other 11+ games if you don't have anything to trade in?

GS/EB is flat out losing my business completely if they do this in the US, no way around it Pez. I've got a Walmart, Target and Best Buy in the same shopping center as GS.

I was just using that as an example of cheap used games in the stores that u can turn around for the $10 extra

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=938855

Another..

And i can tell you lots of these games are available if you just look and edge/gi cards stack.

mrroboto

Banned
Gamestop/EB are pretty much jokes. This pre-order deal they have going is basically a freaking shake down. Now they're pretty much putting "demands" on how you pre-order. :lol

Glad I was able to get my Amazon Wii pre-order in.

Top Bottom