• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop to Have “Limited Supply” of Nintendo Switch In Store At Launch

In a press release, GameStop announced that the retailer will have a ”limited supply" of Nintendo Switch units available for the system's launch on March 3rd, 2017 for walk-in customers. GameStop explained that ”customers who were not able to pre-order the system" are encouraged to attend the console's midnight launch events at stores nation-wide to grab the system during its release, though the company warns that ”they will go fast!"

Along with the units that will be available at launch, GameStop also announced that the retailer will offer ”a very limited supply" of two bundle packages online. Specifically, the first bundle available will include the Nintendo Switch console, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller for $429.99 – the second bundle will include all of the previous items alongside the official strategy guide for Breath of the Wild for $454.99. The base system has an MSRP of $299.99.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/02/22/gamestop-nintendo-switch-launch-limited-supply/

Gotta love bundles that are a few cents more expensive than buying each item separately at MSRP.

Or, you know, buying anywhere else that offers a 20℅ discount on Zelda.

Those bundles aren't bad, particularly the first one. When GS bundles systems, you're usually stuck with at least one game and accessory you'd never, ever choose to purchase separately.

Grylvak

Went to my local GameStop during lunch and the store manager told me they were getting 2 neon consoles and 2 gray. They weren't kidding about "Limited Supply".

Ibuki

Banned
Went to my local GameStop during lunch and the store manager told me they were getting 2 neon consoles and 2 gray. They weren't kidding about "Limited Supply".

My local store is pretty tiny, so I am expecting something similar.

4 systems..

do we know if any gamestop managers or best buy managers here on gaf have mentioned how much stock they were getting?

Petrae

"We had to cancel-- I mean SHUFFLE-- a few preorders around, but now we have some amazing bundles that, if you're lucky, you might be able to buy!"

The fun that comes with short supply and expected strong demand at launch.

Hobbun

Fortunately I have mine preordered.

But hopefully they will have Pro Controllers available to purchase. They were available for preorder for one day and missed it.

CDX

That cheaper bundle is not a completely terrible bundle. It's not really making people buy a ton of stuff they don't want. I'm assuming almost everybody wants Zelda. It does suck if you don't want the Pro Controller, but otherwise not a bad bundle.

I say this as someone that has the Switch console, Pro Controller, and Zelda all pre-ordered individually. It'd be like the perfect bundle for me, if I didn't already have everything pre-ordered.

Air

Banned
Good. So I can make it to a midnight launch and get one. Next week I'll call a couple of Gamestops and see which ones closest to me are doing midnight launches. There's hope!

maxcriden

They won't sell a preorder to a walk-in, will they? Or if they few fewer preorder units than allowed will they sell yours if you preorders before others?

Interesting, interesting. Still debating whether to get one at launch for Zelda or just get a cheap Wii U on Ebay. I have a GameStop and a Wal-Mart within walking distance of where I live. Shouldn't be that difficult to get one at launch if I decide on it.

mreddie

I imagine this happening at Gamestop. Everyone having a good time til the last Switch is in stock.

raw

No, there are no good times at GS.

PSFan

They won't sell a preorder to a walk-in, will they? Or if they few fewer preorder units than allowed will they sell yours if you preorders before others?

They will hold a preorder for 48 hours I believe.

Yeah, that's what they are supposed to do. But I've heard of GS clerks or managers selling people's preorders to walk-ins that slipped them 10 or 20 bucks. It all depends on the particular GS really.

I'll be really interested to see how launch numbers are across all retailers. Seems like there's a good chance of Switch being sold out! I'm glad I pre-ordered as soon as possible but godspeed to those who didn't and still want one. It seems like a rough ride.

Yeah, that's what they are supposed to do. But I've heard of GS clerks or managers selling people's preorders to walk-ins that slipped them 10 or 20 bucks. It all depends on the particular GS really.

Yeah... That's really just based on how people are. My local Gamestop usually holds onto things for more than 48 hours. The only time they strictly enforce that policy is when a jerk like me comes in and asks about something that was already on hold for that long.

lenovox1

I'll be really interested to see how launch numbers are across all retailers. Seems like there's a good chance of Switch being sold out! I'm glad I pre-ordered as soon as possible but godspeed to those who didn't and still want one. It seems like a rough ride.

One will probably be able to walk into a Toys R Us on March 3 and pick one up. Local electronics stores and grocery stores (like Meijer's) may also have ample stock.

And do Kmart and Sears still carry electronics?

GameStop and Best Buy are going to be non-starters.

One will probably be able to walk into a Toys R Us on March 3 and pick one up. Local electronics stores and grocery stores (like Meijer's) may also have ample stock.

And do Kmart and Sears still carry electronics?

GameStop and Best Buy are going to be non-starters.

Having been part of the "launch craze" for a few new consoles now, I'll agree and disagree. I'd say that "local" stores are the place to start for sure, but to definitely check ahead of time. Nothing worse than going local and finding out they didn't get any units at all.

I can't vouch for the entirety of the U.S., but I've seen a ton of people talk Toys R Us as the place to get Nintendo stuff lately, so I'd wager they're going to be just as bad as Best Buy and Gamestop. Not sure that K-Mart and Sears carry games anymore.

ViciousDS

Banned
I remember the xbox one bundles.....I was a fucking idiot too......was like a $1100 bundle......but I sold all the extra crap I didn't want lol

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Those bundles aren't bad at least. Especially the system, pro controller and Zelda one. A lot of people want those 3 anyway and then embarks up is only a couple of cents. I imagine the guide one is too, but don't know it's MSRP and a lot of people probably don't want the guide.

You mean like a strategy guide?

I guess that's true, but fortunately it only adds $15 and at least it's useful for the game included with that particular bundle. Since the second bundle is just the first bundle + the guide, I would assume customers can choose between the two without issue and wouldn't be forced to buy bundle #2, but who knows.

Arkam

I remember the xbox one bundles.....I was a fucking idiot too......was like a $1100 bundle......but I sold all the extra crap I didn't want lol

Its ok, we all fall for it at some point. I did it for the GameCube launch. Was 'forced' to get three games and a 3rd party controller. I NEVER liked that controller... but kept it for years.

HeySeuss

I'm not sure why some of you get all twisted up about GameStop's supply. It's not indicative on supply of other bigger stores. GameStop always gets a limited supply because they don't sell as much to begin with. BestBuy and Walmart and Target, etc sell way more and thus are going to have much larger allotments.

Not sure why anyone would intentionally buy from there anyway unless left with no other choice. Otherwise you get the forced bundle shit like they're offering.

I hate when stores do shit like this. I remember GameCube launch being the same. I had to buy 3 games along with the system in order to get one.

Its ok, we all fall for it at some point. I did it for the GameCube launch. Was 'forced' to get three games and a 3rd party controller. I NEVER liked that controller... but kept it for years.

Hahah beaten! Fucking circuit city!!

Guess that's why it's always better to preorder something

I hate when stores do shit like this. I remember GameCube launch being the same. I had to buy 3 games along with the system in order to get one.

I ended up at Fry's to get a 360 at launch, and their "bundle" at the time was, IIRC, "pick 5 games and 1 accessory from this list of stuff you don't want". The games on the list were GUN, NBA something or other, King Kong, and so on. Basically, the ones they thought wouldn't sell.

So, in order to get the games I did want, I ended up paying over $1100 for the damn thing (which RROD'd on me 8 months later).

Top Bottom