• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop To Open 1,000 Nintendo Switch Reservations At Random In Stores on Saturday

Compsiox

Banned
giphy.gif

Alphahawk

I don't really see how this is an issue, it's probably the fairest way for them to do this. I think people just want to hate on Gamestop here.

WadeitOut

I don't really see how this is an issue, it's probably the fairest way for them to do this. I think people just want to hate on Gamestop here.

....the fastest way would be not to hold back stock period and to just let the stores sell the preorders people are already looking for lol

StarVigil

It's not even like Nintendo sells the systems at a higher price if they offer limited stock. They just sell less. Feel sorry for Nintendo fans.

This is probably one of the dumbest promotion... event.... things ever thought up, at least by GameStop. I'm guessing the idea is to lure people into the store, $300 in hand, and when they don't win (the privilege to buy an item at full retail?) they'll instead spend it all on used games and power up rewards cards for the whole family.

Bowl0l

Clerk: "Hi, welcome to GameStop. How can I help you?"
You: "I'd like to buy a brand new, sealed copy of [game name]."
Clerk: "Would you prefer a used copy? You can save $5."
You: "Nah, I'd prefer a new copy."
Clerk: "Anything else."
You: "Nope."
Clerk: "Congratulations! You've been selected to pre-order a Nintendo Switch!"
What happens when you refuse? Can you switch to another prize?

You guys do realize that it's ProDay and they are trying to get people in the stores right? Crap load of deals that they want to lure people out for. Good for business.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Shouldn't everybody who wants to, be able to preorder a Switch? Surely there'll be way more than 1000 units allotted to GameStop...

Why don't American stores just let everyone preorder? Is the Switch in that much higher demand than in Europe?

No, Nintendo are just notoriously bad at being able to correctly stock things.

This is a legacy issue they have where they seem to think "less availability, more demand" going back to the NES days.

Shiggy

No, Nintendo are just notoriously bad at being able to correctly stock things.

This is a legacy issue they have where they seem to think "less availability, more demand" going back to the NES days.

With the Nintendo Classic Mini Europe a had sick issues. But for the Switch, not so much.

Kill3r7

I'm sure others have probably mentioned this already but today is Pro Day at GS. So presumably they are expecting a lot of foot traffic. Still a weird way to dole out the chance to preorder a Switch. Doubly weird when you consider that GS has over 4400 stores in the US.

ViciousDS

Banned
"Sorry, you're not eligible to preorder a Switch. How would you like to preorder for a used Switch?"

please come back in a week or two after launch. I'm sure we will have some used switches for $10 off!!!!!

I'm sure others gave probably mentioned this already but today is Pro Day at GS. So presumably they are expecting a lot of foot traffic. Still a weird way to dole out the chance to preorder a Switch. Doubly weird when you consider that GS has over 4400 stores in the US.

I never got an email on this! lol

Dueck

Banned
I know EB used to overextend itself with console pre-orders then there'd be a big wait list and walkins were told to buzz off for a couple of months. I know that happened here with the 360...

I still think that's the best approach though, the only people it negatively impacts are the ones late to the party anyway, and luck counts for less than diligence.

Kiyo

....the fastest way would be not to hold back stock period and to just let the stores sell the preorders people are already looking for lol

Fastest is not the same as Fairest.

I dislike shopping at Gamestop too, but people in this thread are just looking for any reason to hate them it would seem. Gamestop probably got word from Nintendo that they'd have an extra 1,000 units and this seems like a very fair way of selecting 1000 more people for preorders. How else would you even do it? Just allot 1 per store? How do you decide which stores are getting left out? Giving 1 more preorder for 25% of your US stores and having multiple people line up for 1 seems bad.

For people who didn't actually read: you go in on Saturday, signup on a list, they'll email/call you if you're selected and you just go and pickup your Switch on the 3rd if you were one of the lucky 1,000.

With the Nintendo Classic Mini Europe a had sick issues. But for the Switch, not so much.

Nintendo in Europe doesn't have the same appeal as it does in the US, the NES Classic was just really limited quantities anyway.

I think Switch preorders not doing as well in Europe is something similar to why Xbox doesn't do well in Europe. During the "console wars" Nintendo treated Europe like crap (we missed A LOT of SNES games that appear on essential lists all the time because of the distro channels and multiple languages), so it never really took off the same way as the US. Europe leaned more towards Sega because Sega were willing to put that time in.

Master System sold something like 6.8m units in just Europe, NES shipped 8.6m for the rest of the world outside of the Americas and Japan.

Mega Drive sold 6.9m in just Europe, SNES shipped 8.5m outside of the Americas and Japan.

This is why Nintendo don't really hold the same weight in Europe and a lot of people lack the nostalgia the US and Japan has for Nintendo products (even if I do rate the SNES as the best console ever).

Grassy

Sounds like a scheme to get people who didn't get a pre-order in yet into their store.

Yep, hold back 1000 pre-orders so they can dangle a carrot on a stick and get people through the door to try and sell them a bunch of other shit they don't want.

Meh i literally just canceled my switch preorder with them last night ill get one once mario drops. Tgis sounds like a really dumb promotion tho

Yeah, this is weird. If they want to randomly let customers get the preorder they should make it a lottery online for their cardholders since they're forever pushing that damn thing.

Its for "pro day." There event where they put things on sale to celebrate people who have pro memberships.

dzelly

I thought GameStop just cancelled a bunch of pre-orders on folks. Shouldn't they let those people get a switch before doing this insane lottery idea? Or have they already settled pre-orders for those affected by cancellations?

Tigress

Except if they only have 1000 more to sell, how do they distrubute those as to not have a lot of pissed off people who came in early to get in line and still didn't get one. Or stop any chaos if people realize how short stock each store has and tries to bully their way up front. Or have people accuse them of not even having any to sell and teasing them (with 1000 only there will be a lot of disappointed people and few who actually manage to get one).

I can see why they went with lotto when they have that few available.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yeah, I'm just going to waste a portion of my day going to GameStop to see if I won the honor of preordering a Switch.

Boke1879

Except if they only have 1000 more to sell, how do they distrubute those as to not have a lot of pissed off people who came in early to get in line and still didn't get one. Or stop any chaos if people realize how short stock each store has and tries to bully their way up front. Or have people accuse them of not even having any to sell and teasing them (with 1000 only there will be a lot of disappointed people and few who actually manage to get one).

I can see why they went with lotto when they have that few available.

Why not just put them on their site like they've been doing and let people run wild. They have over 4,000 stores, but only 1,000 more.

It's just the logistics of it is dumb and it's only a way to gather more people to get more money in order to have someone randomly win a chance to spend money. It's just utterly ridiculous. Lol

Why don't American stores just let everyone preorder? Is the Switch in that much higher demand than in Europe?
How does it work in Europe? Do they let you preorder with no guarantee to get one at launch and you'll get it when stock replenishes if you're that low on the list? The US is more or less sold out of every launch unit from preorders. There's no more preorders available and they don't preorder unavailable allocation.

Shouldn't everybody who wants to, be able to preorder a Switch? Surely there'll be way more than 1000 units allotted to GameStop...

They did they're initially preorders when right after the Nintendo event.

This is probably them getting an additional 1000s skus and wanting to give everyone and equal shot at them across all their stores.

They should probably just open up another wave of these 1000 preorders online and just be done with it. Far less headache.

Why not just put them on their site like they've been doing and let people run wild. They have over 4,000 stores, but only 1,000 more.

Simple answer: they want people to go to their stores and buy a Pro Membership. That's about it. The chance at a pre-order is open to everyone because they just want to bring people into the store. You can't have a sales person push X, Y, or Z thing for an online order.

Top Bottom