• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers Hit with Layoffs?

My boy Ryan Stevens. :(

F1FnpXh.png

:(

Zaph

1. Hide the news of the sale on the first day of E3 so it gets buried.

2. Get staff to work their ass off for the biggest traffic period of the year.

3. ???

4. Fire everyone the day after.

Classy move all round.

dc89

Rob Manuel
‏@8bitwiz
Two weeks from now, I will be leaving @GameTrailers. Thank you for allowing me to talk about indie games again and for all the new friends.

---

Seems there is quite a few!

Einbroch

Banned
The days of gaming media sites relying on advertising are numbered. Only sites with subscriptions or the ones at the top (IGN/GS) will survive.

One of my favorite sites to go to. Good luck to the crew.

They announced this purchase right at the start of E3 to cover it up so I saw this coming.

Schrade

Sad times. Their first day E3 coverage was awesome. The stream was absolutely pristine! I was able to pull down all 12ish hours of video with ffmpeg thanks to their new streaming setup. 16.3 gigs of press conferences and also pre and post conferences!

I hope everyone who is laid off lands a job elsewhere quickly.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
you worked your ass off all week during E3...

...now get the fuck out of here, youre fired

LGom09

This sucks. The GT staff are among my favourite internet people. I think Bosman could keep doing a show independently. Don't know about anyone else.

LoveCake

Who has taken them over ? i wouldn't of thought Viacom would of sold them ?

edit

i think it is more behind the scenes stuff ?

This week we announced an exciting strategic partnership with Viacom. Our leadership team has long emulated Viacom and the tactics they utilized to build a dominant media company. They have literally written the playbook around investing in key brands, creating amazing content and building best in class marketing solutions. Working with them officially and having them validate our strategy gives us encouragement for what we’ve built and where we’re going at DEFY.

As part of our partnership, we will also be acquiring three outstanding brands – Addicting Games, Game Trailers, and Shockwave. These brands represent significant reach, legacy, and credibility in the gaming and entertainment space. When we combine the audience and scale of these properties with our existing family of sites including The Escapist, Gamefront, SMOSH Games, and The Warp Zone among many others we’re thrilled to own one of the top gaming portfolios in digital media.

When we merged Alloy Digital and Break last year to form DEFY, our goal was to create the strongest platform to reach the 13-34 year old audience through premium brands and original content. Since that time we’ve seen incredible growth and developed amazing new programming, like Prank It Forward. We feel this acquisition reinforces and strengthens our vision, and increases our ability to invest further in content.

Please see our official release here as well as industry thoughts from the WSJ, Re/Code and Ad Age among others.

Keith Richman – President, DEFY Media
- http://www.defymedia.com/2014/06/10/viacom-makes-web-video-bet-grabs-piece-defy-media/

I hope nothing happens to the Pach Attack !

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
1. Hide the news of the sale on the first day of E3 so it gets buried.

2. Get staff to work their ass off for the biggest traffic period of the year.

3. ???

4. Fire everyone the day after.

Classy move all round.
As evil as can be.

Volotaire

Oh man Ryan Stevens :( Good luck to those who have got layed off, a sad day. I have enjoyed Gametrailers content for many years.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Really shitty, especially immediately after the grind of E3. I'd been digging their lineup more and more as well; good crew.

FinKL

Sad to hear, it's my go to spot to supplement Gaf news.

Thought it was interesting that this happened at the start of E3.

zma1013

you worked your ass off all week during E3...

...now get the fuck out of here, youre fired

I heard a story once at some random workplace about some woman who was tasked to hand out pink slips to a bunch of people, and after she was done she was given her own pink slip.

Top Bottom