• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers Hit with Layoffs?

UrbanRats

My boy Ryan Stevens. :(

F1FnpXh.png

What? Fuck this, he was one of my favorites since the Invisible Walls days. :\

This is bullshit.

Man that sucks... They where beginning to regain such great original content too
:(

Sadly this makes sense seeing as they are no longer part of Spike

Good luck to those affected

Edit: Man Ryan got hit... So no one from the top video cast is safe :(

Edit 2: I hope Kyle, Bloodworth, Brandon, Micheal Huber, Michael Damiani, and more are okay and haven't also been hit

from the other thread but this one was made first

Ravidrath

Ugh, really sorry to see GT get hit with this.

I used to write for them and have worked well with them over the years on things.

Not worried for any of them, but this is always a rough transition.

Newlove

It's real sad to see and this is concerning for sure. The community activity dropped significantly since the site update and removal of features. A few of us moderators were hoping this acquisition could implement more features back, which is still a possibility but I'm swinging more towards unlikely. Being a YouTube predominant company, I imagine Defy Media will want their own fresh team of faces on camera. God knows what will happen to the actual site now. I just hope they decide not to strip away the community features but instead focus on improving it. I wish the team that got laid off the best of luck. If Kyle and Bloodworth are gone then that sucks even more.

GeeDuhb

I heard a story once at some random workplace about some woman who was tasked to hand out pink slips to a bunch of people, and after she was done she was given her own pink slip.

Yeah, this happened at my last job. The HR girl laid off 50 people one day, and they gave her to axe the next.

Good luck to those who were let go. Hopefully they will all find new gigs soon. The day after E3...so messed up. They could have at least waited until next week...

Zaph

yeah, imagine come to work after with lots of content for the site then BAM! :(

What makes it worse is everyone there most likely knew it was coming, so GT probably got their best E3 content ever due to people working their ass off to prove how irreplaceable they are.

CGwizz

FFS so they bought an awsome site and they laid off the people who made it awsome? retarded pricks the ones that bought them...

CamHostage

Seen that happen with game sites a few times before, they come home from E3 on a high but something was up with the company behind the scenes so they went through with the show and then made cuts once the most profitable sequence was done. Heartbreaking to see it happen, but at least it seems like they had a notion that the company was changing.

Hasney

I'll miss Ryan Stevens on Let's All Go To The Trailers.

I just got into that show after the ads on their E3 feed. Fuck.

Good luck to everyone that's let go. Seriously, I never really liked the site but from the Playstation meeting onwards, they grew into my favorite site. Really hope they don't rip out the heart of the place.

EDIT: If Bosman goes... Fuck. I know he'll land on his feet somewhere, but my favorite gaming video maker and one of my favorite wrestlers going in the same week would be horrible.

After Marcus left and IW was shut down, I haven't found myself going to the site lately... or pretty much ever.

But based on some of the responses here I guess I should give them another shot.

Volotaire

After Marcus left and IW was shut down, I haven't found myself going to the site lately... or pretty much ever.

But based on some of the responses here I guess I should give them another shot.

They had absolutely fantastic content since, moving towards a 'personality bases' site. The last year or two has been great.

No word on Kyle yet?
I feel like if they're "smart" people like Kyle and Brandon Jones will be safe. But I put smart in quotes because laying off anyone from that site is a mistake. It's seriously the best gaming content on the Internet. Sad to see that Ryan is already gone. Lets hope that most other people are safe.

Riptwo

The Final Bosman brought me to Gametrailers, and I've been getting more and more into the site with each passing week. I was super into their E3 coverage, and now this. Feels like 1up all over again, where the site gets taken down just as things are getting great.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Ryan here. Can someone say something mean about me? This is feeling surreal.
(Thanks for being nice. I think there will be more information for everyone soon.)

Kasper

I guess it depends on the kind of content you're looking for. In my case the change at GameTrailers over the past year or so has turned it into my favorite gaming site with shows like The Final Bosman, Let's All Go To The Trailers and GT Time - not to mention their often great livestreams.

Heyt

Banned
They had absolutely fantastic content since, moving towards a 'personality bases' site. The last year or two has been great.

It took them a lot to get to the point where they were now wich is a pretty good site with an unbearably unconfortable show called mandatoy update.

Top Bottom