• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers Top 10 Divisive Games (at the GT office)

It's pretty shocking to see Huber actually dislike a game, he seems to be the guy who loves and enjoys every single game and finds the positive to all of them.

To see him hate Fallout NV is pretty surprisingly.

Karu

The Last of U would have been utterly ruined by a choice system. Try again in 20 years, but we are not there yet.

Awesome video, though. Love the Bosman-rile up :D

Gecoma

Bioshock & The Last of Us but no Bioshock Infinite, what a list.

& who was divisive on Knack? Should've put FFXIII in there instead.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Agree completely about Link to the Past. I think most Zelda games are proper shite altogether really, it's all about nostalgia and not much about substance. Never been a Nintendo fan except for Mario.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's shit...

Keasar

Huber could just play Fallout: New Vegas on PC with 1-2 mods (unofficial patches) and every complaint of his would be fixed. Maybe not the stiff conversation stuff but that is on Bethesda, not Obsidian.

Also he was pretty much wrong that nothing you do in Vegas matters except which of four factions you join, that is Fallout 4.

entremet

Bioshock 1, TLOU, and a Link to the Past don't belong on the list period. PERIOD.

Kingdom Hearts, although i enjoy the franchise and have followed it since a kid...yeah i can obviously see why its on the list

Kinda boring if people agree on everything, no?

Who wants to watch a video of people nodding and agreeing?

The list is kind of dumb since a lot of those aren't very divisive.
Maybe 10 divisive games inside GT?
Oddly, despite being a huge Zelda fan I agree with LTTP.
It's ugly and kind of dumb, I prefer LBW to it.

GametimeUK

My argument to the whole The Last Of US is linear and you don't get to make your own choices argument is "so what?". Simply put, who says games can't be that? Games come in many shapes and sizes and being able to tell one refined, complete story in the order in which it is supposed to be consumed is NOT A negative. Seriously, not every game needs branching storylines, open world's and player choice. There are also subtle clues and insights in to people's lives scattered throughout the game if you want some deeper lore. Watch a movie is a cop out excuse as well because I don't want to watch a movie, I want to interact and I like the combat and mechanics in TLOU too.

Then when it comes to chest high walls and characters breaking immersion by running past the infected... well... yeah it kind of sucks, but ultimately game balance comes first and it would just be more infuriating if our AI partners got wasted every 2 seconds. As much as it is awesome to have a huge world with player choice it is still really impressive that a developer is able to create a game like TLOU with such awesome pacing. It isn't easy and that game is expertly crafted even down to subtle visual clues and level design on where you're supposed to go next.

Ian has a shallow view. It sounds like he is describing a genre he doesn't like as opposed to why he doesn't like TLOU.

Servbot24

Banned
Kyle's opinions are not only bad... they're willfully bad. I think he's saying stuff just to be annoying. (Though some of his Bioshock points are valid, writing is pretty bad in that one)

Ian's opinions I can respect a bit more because even though I disagree, they seem like they come from a genuine and consistent place.

My argument to the whole The Last Of US is linear and you don't get to make your own choices argument is "so what?". Simply put, who says games can't be that? Games come in many shapes and sizes and being able to tell one refined, complete story in the order in which it is supposed to be consumed is NOT A negative. Seriously, not every game needs branching storylines, open world's and player choice. There are also subtle clues and insights in to people's lives scattered throughout the game if you want some deeper lore. Watch a movie is a cop out excuse as well because I don't want to watch a movie, I want to interact and I like the combat and mechanics in TLOU too.

Then when it comes to chest high walls and characters breaking immersion by running past the infected... well... yeah it kind of sucks, but ultimately game balance comes first and it would just be more infuriating if our AI partners got wasted every 2 seconds. As much as it is awesome to have a huge world with player choice it is still really impressive that a developer is able to create a game like TLOU with such awesome pacing. It isn't easy and that game is expertly crafted even down to subtle visual clues and level design on where you're supposed to go next.

Ian has a shallow view. It sounds like he is describing a genre he doesn't like as opposed to why he doesn't like TLOU.

That's what the argument against is, that the game isn't expertly crafted. That visual cues aren't subtle such as the yellow colour coding. Letting the AI partners be invincible and invisible is giving up on building better AI and pathfinding, which could have been down to time and resources. Chest high walls doesn't mean the game is expertly crafted when the game is too predictable, that you know exactly what's about to happen. There are games where the cover objects aren't so obvious and fit with the world that you don't even think about it. The fact that many people bring up chest high walls shows that it is noticeable when they might not notice it for other games with more believable level design.

Ian's problem with not having choice is probably more down to not caring much of Joel and his journey so for him he probably feels dragged along, than whether the game should have multiple choices or shouldn't be linear.

I can't understand why people think it's a great game.

Art direction and atmosphere, superb mechanics with incredibly satisfying gunplay and a plethora of options for each encounter, tons of variety over the course of its 15-20hours, good pacing, amazing level design and encounter design make each fight well designed and unique, really well balanced difficulty, dat crossbow.

All of this more than makes up for some technical issues it has, really poor cutscenes, and a couple weak chapters.

chris3116

I tried so many times to get on A Link to the Past. I still can't get it and I'm a Zelda fan. I don't know if it's the atmosphere or the gameplay that I don't get. Or because I don't have nostalgia on the game. I don't really care on the story. Zelda is about puzzle on a dungeon.

I'm making a Zelda marathon lately until TPHD to come and A Link to the Past is on my list so I'll try again. I beat Zelda 1, Zelda 2 and Ocarina of Time.

Legend of zelda on NES is still my favorite 2D Zelda.

Servbot24

Banned
Agree completely about Link to the Past. I think most Zelda games are proper shite altogether really, it's all about nostalgia and not much about substance. Never been a Nintendo fan except for Mario.

Those Zelda games were just as loved when they first came out and there was no nostalgia to associate to them.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Is that why I enjoyed every single hour of it? I love its length, stop giving me these short horror experiences because for some reason people think these games should be no longer than 5 hours long.

Alien Isolation is a fantastic game and easily one of the best of 2014. Far better than Shadow Of Mordor.

The criticism of it's length is ridiculous, it's never padded at all IMO. I also fucking love the build up and how they don't show you the Alien until 4 hours in.

Woffls

Really hope this gets turned into a regular show - very enjoyable to watch, and could easily be drawn out to one game per episode at 15 minutes.

I was glad to hear Bosman's comments on Bioshock. It's something I've thought since playing it, and was not really addressed at the time because people were so enamoured with it (for good reason).

Also didn't get along with The Last of Us. I don't think it was well crafted enough to tell a story of that gravity. Uncharted works because the tone is lighter, but Last of Us tries to build an atmosphere that's betrayed by its overt 'gameyness'.

Alien Isolation is a fair call, but only because it's not an experience for everyone. I think it's about as close to flawless as one can expect from games at the moment, and it's one of the greatest achievements in game design of the last decade. However, it does get stretched out a little bit in the middle and that's my single criticism.

Lemonheap

Banned
Those Zelda games were just as loved when they first came out and there was no nostalgia to associate to them.

But now we can compare it to Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Majoras Mask and realize that Link to the Past is the lamest one behind Zelda 2 and an overall boring game.

sora87

Good idea for a top 10, this was pretty fun. Brad with that potty mouth tho.
I loved TLoU but I can totally see where Ian's coming from with all of his points when I think about it.

Servbot24

Banned
But now we can compare it to Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Majoras Mask and realize that Link to the Past is the lamest one behind Zelda 2 and an overall boring game.

Great gameplay doesn't suddenly become unfun because other, completely different games start existing.

Kyle's opinions are not only bad... they're willfully bad. I think he's saying stuff just to be annoying. (Though some of his Bioshock points are valid, writing is pretty bad in that one)

I should clarify on this one - he's not that way all the time. But his LttP critiques are so clearly inane and oftentimes factually absurd, that I can't help but think he's arguing against that game just out of an attempt to be "zany".

Good idea for a top 10, this was pretty fun. Brad with that potty mouth tho.
I loved TLoU but I can totally see where Ian's coming from with all of his points when I think about it.

The main point of his that I dislike is the "It's a game, we should have a choice!" TLoU uses game mechanics and story to make the player actually roleplay as /Joel/ not a nameless survivor. There shouldn't be a choice at the end of the game, because that would betray everything else the game was designed to do.

I agree with Kyle on ALttP. I can't believe people are getting so upset about that. It's possible to hold that opinion without being intentionally annoying or something.

The game feels very game-y and has the most boring art style and characters we've seen in the series since. Some of the music is even grating in the dungeons.

It's not a bad game by any means, so I don't agree with that. But it absolutely is a very flawed and dated game as far as what the Zelda series has become. It's just about what you do and don't value in games, which was the theme of the whole video.

Like, Bioshock is my favorite game of all time, and I disagree with a lot of what Kyle said, but I'm not going to sit here and type up some response about how wrong he is. Jeez.

gai_shain

The list is kind of dumb since a lot of those aren't very divisive.
Maybe 10 divisive games inside GT?
Oddly, despite being a huge Zelda fan I agree with LTTP.
It's ugly and kind of dumb, I prefer LBW to it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past... is Kyle Bosman making a joke or something? He barely speaks about the game but superficial crap like Link is living with his uncle. Seriously, is this a joke or just a case of a supremely bad games critic?

The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past... is Kyle Bosman making a joke or something? He barely speaks about the game but superficial crap like Link is living with his uncle. Seriously, is this a joke or just a case of a supremely bad games critic?

Differing opinion.

He makes it quite clear that a lot of what he values in Zelda is the sense of adventure, while ALttP feels more like video game levels than a genuine adventure. That's what he was trying to get across.

This video was meant to be fun debates and people are taking it like it was meant as fully detailed critiques.

Yeah, this was kind of rough to watch. I understand that they had a short time so they gotta go for blood... but some of them needed to chill a bit. Specifically the borderlands 2 guy and Last of Us guy.

Maybe knowing the context of how often these arguments go around would make these theatrics play better, but in these isolated chopped up bits, naw.

Tambini

I know, but the title makes it sound like the most divisive games out there. Stuff like FFXIII would fit it.
Almost universally loved games like TLOU, LTTP and universally hated games like Knack seems weird.

Good thing we watch videos in the OP before posting right? :^)

Salty Hippo

Differing opinion.

He makes it quite clear that a lot of what he values in Zelda is the sense of adventure, while ALttP feels more like video game levels than a genuine adventure. That's what he was trying to get across.

He's still utterly and completely wrong about the game lacking sense of adventure. His opinion, if we can even call it that, is simply bizarre, and it looks like you're having trouble accepting that.

I was never the biggest fan of LttP I don't entirely agree with Kyles assessment but I do agree about not liking the art style of the game, never cared for it myself only worse one is the blocky cel shaded DS games, I loved how Wind Waker looked but PH and the train one? It just looks awful.

I think a Link Between worlds looked a lot better but a lot of that old art style was still present and I've never finished the game because of it.

I know I'm the odd person out on that one though.

Now Ian not liking Last of Us I just don't think he understands the game, listening to him explain why he doesn't like Last of Us just made me think he wanted it to be a completely different game then it is. It's not a game about choice its a game about telling you a story, not every game needs to give the player choices in the story he just wants different things from games then I do which is fine but I wouldn't go up to him and say Bloodborne/Dark Souls is awful because it doesn't offer any difficulty options, sure of course it doesn't but thats not the design of Bloodborne/Dark Souls they are designed to be a certain way just because it doesn't cater to you doesn't make it bad. Either you need to conform to its design or if you can't or don't want to then you shouldn't worry about it, its not your thing big deal. Personally I don't like any of the Castlevania games but I get that other people do and thats fine, just not for me.

I think there are just as many opinions on games as there is about food, everyone's palate is different.

I would like to see GT make a whole series about this and just have 2 people debate a game or heck two games, I would love to see Bloodworth and Ian argue about Witcher 3 vs. Bloodborne, among other things.

Yeah, this was kind of rough to watch. I understand that they had a short time so they gotta go for blood... but some of them needed to chill a bit. Specifically the borderlands 2 guy and Last of Us guy.

Maybe knowing the context of how often these arguments go around would make these theatrics play better, but in these isolated chopped up bits, naw.

I thought the Borderlands 2 one was hilarious. Highlight of the video.

He's still utterly and completely wrong about the game lacking sense of adventure. His opinion, if we can even call it that, is simply bizarre, and it looks like you're having trouble accepting that.

Joke post?

knackpasfu4rudn.jpg

#teamknack

I have never played it...

Why does this look photoshopped?

DNAbro

His opinion about it lacking a sense of adventure can't be wrong. I also agree with him.

Knack isn't good or bad, it's just extremely mediocre.

But then I remember I paid £55 for it..... after reading reviews. So what the hell do I know.

I bought The Order at 60$ knowing it was bad. Would have been a nice as a 4$ iTunes rental. Im just inlove with the premise. I would also have invested in Knack so Sony would release more plaformers. Maybe enough people did and they'll announce Crash at E3.

That's a pretty small thing to complain about in Link to the Past. I don't think it's as good as others claim, but to knock it down mainly because of Link growing up with his uncle and pitting you right into the action at the start, is just strange.

I got to agree with Bioshock being overrated. The environment and story didn't impress me at all and the gameplay was just okay.

At the GT office is in the title
Good thing we watch videos in the OP before posting right? :^)
I saw the video before the thread was posted, it's not called that and hasn't been edited to be called that.
I might of missed a quote in the video explaining that it's just at the GT office but I saw it to completion yesterday.
(But fair enough)
I bought The Order at 60$ knowing it was bad. Would have been a nice as a 4$ iTunes rental. Im just inlove with the premise. I would also have invested in Knack so Sony would release more plaformers. Maybe enough people did and they'll announce Crash at E3.
Knack isn't a platformer :p

Afrodium

Banned
I think GT's recent shift to being largely personality based channel has been very smart. You would never see a 35 minute top 10 list by them even a few months ago, and this video is great.

Vinc

I think GT's recent shift to being largely personality based channel has been very smart. You would never see a 35 minute top 10 list by them even a few months ago, and this video is great.

It's been great, I'm enjoying the site more than I ever have by far and I've been watching them since around the 360 launch. I just don't know that they're making any money at this point with the views they get, which is just a real shame. I hope things turn around for them, they deserve it big time.

I enjoyed this video. Hope to see more videos like this from GT.

A much stronger case against TLOU could've been made though. Ian's argument was pretty weak. The argument against New Vegas wasn't very convincing either.

Yeah. The problem is that if someone leaves they're hard to replace. They lost the co host for mandatory update which makes the show kind of unwatchable.
I think Damiani left as well.
I still love the final bossman and GT time but they've been a bit irksome lately.

Top Bottom