• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming journalist refuses to cover Hogwarts Legacy due to its "ties" with J.K Rowling.

LordCBH

Everyone shares some blame. Twitter mobs are a problem, corporations bending over backwards in appeasement is a problem, and society turning a blind eye to resulting injustices is another problem. Western culture has become increasingly divisive and dysfunctional over the past decade, mostly as a result of social media platforms subsuming a non-trivial percentage of our lives.

Pretty much. The most annoying thing is it would mostly stop if companies would stop listening to the extremely vocal minority on places like Twitter or Facebook and realize that the majority of people who actually consume their products don’t give a shit what so and so comedian or actor or whatever did or said.

The death of Tumblr was about the worst thing in the past 15 years because most of those people moved to Twitter and the like, and they’re VERY loud and persistent.

Ladioss

Pretty much. The most annoying thing is it would mostly stop if companies would stop listening to the extremely vocal minority on places like Twitter or Facebook and realize that the majority of people who actually consume their products don’t give a shit what so and so comedian or actor or whatever did or said.
Nice in theory. But good luck getting rid of it when market forces don't work anymore because the market has been fully transformed into that oligopolistic, ESG governance-complying fascist tool. “Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power.” — Benito Mussolini.

kirby007

I'm not helping by posting here but why are we giving these people an even bigger spotlight? that is the only damned reason they even make such an initial statement : exposure and attention

Goalus

My books arrived:

3NaMWuB.jpg

€190 altogether, feels great to have bought them now on this particular occasion (y)

MH3M3D

I just feel sorry for these people. They mean well, but at a certain point they just go too far and end up being ridiculous. Then nobody takes them seriously, even when they're right on serious issues. PICK YOUR BATTLES IMRAN!

tygertrip

I don't disagree with you with how powerful the property is simply that in the past we haven't really seen it translate into gaming well despite its demographic being pretty young

It's sort of like Transformers and Fast and Furious these are massive Blockbuster properties that do record numbers in the box office but when it comes to games they barely make a dent in the market

So I believe it definitely takes a special developer and publisher to put out a solid product to get that audience to care in that property alone cannot really dictate the success as we've seen multiple times even with this very property. We saw many bad Spider-Man games and many bad Batman games at the moment it went into Insomniac and rocksteady's hands respectively they hit it right out of the park and those properties were able to truly shine. So whether or not this game goes well will likely have more to do with if that development team is able to make a solid product and not necessarily the property alone because one would have to question why the other Harry Potter games failed because I would argue the property now is nowhere near the height aware it was at Generations prior
I'll have you know I rocked the shit out of Spider-Man 2600, back in 1982.

tygertrip

What a complete horse's ass this guy is. Idiots like this do so much damage to transgender people just trying to live their lives without being harassed for who they are.

People like him remind me of PETA. I'm the world's biggest animal lover but when I read about the stupid shit PETA says and does it makes so angry, I want to go kick my cat. These dumbshit activists piss everyone off and end up getting people mad at the trans community.
PETA kidnaps pets and murders them, under the guise of "better dead than a slave".

tygertrip

Guy has an opinion about JK, and Neogaf tears him to pieces because JK should have the right to have her controversial opinions regardless of how they might rub certain people the wrong way. Why is that same right to one's controversial opinion not extended to the games journalist as well? So confused. Are people allowed to have their own opinions about stuff we don't personally agree with or aren't they?
Nobody is censoring him, or attempting to censor him. WTF are you talking about?

Javthusiast

Banned
Because she speaks the truth?

Can we stop? She is a fucking cunt, by obviously being transphobic and all the time promoting obviously transphobic people on twitter.

She isn't speaking the truth, she is a fucking bigot.

Is it enough for me to not play the games, read books or watch the movies? No. But I can easily separate art from artist.

But let's not do the horseshit, she speaks the truth leave her alone argument.

Sjw outrage against the entire ip is as pathetic as the opposite hardcore defense of Rowling. As always no fucking nuance at all between these two groups.

Can we stop? She is a fucking cunt, by obviously being transphobic and all the time promoting obviously transphobic people on twitter.

Is it enough for me to not play the games, read books or watch the movies? No. But I can easily separate art from artist.

Sjw outrage against the entire ip is as pathetic as the opposite hardcore defense of Rowling. As always no fucking nuance at all between these two groups.

I can tell you've not read the essay she wrote about this that started all the furor against her. Nobody would come away from that wanting to call her a cunt lol

She couldn't be more reasonable in her stance.

tygertrip

She speaks the truth. Cope.

sircaw

Banned

You sound a little bit unhinged tbh and the terminology you're using, it sounds more the style that is used on that "your not allowed to have other opinions than our opinions site"

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Hand waving away my request and doubling down on disingenuous claims and strawman arguments. Not surprised coming from you, mckmas. You claim you are all for these conversations, but you are usually the first person who comes in and purposefully misconstrues arguments to push your sad little false narratives.

No.....you just disagree with me. Not sure why you can't just agree to disagree. None of my post are disingenuous or strawman arguments. You just disagree. This world today is crazy, because people can't seem to learn how to agree to disagree without tossing around silly words around that aren't properly used.

In this case here, I don't even have a straight line narrative. I understand the nuance and haven't picked "a side" like most on the internet would want people to do.

mckmas8808

I agree with you that she doesn't speak the truth. And it's weird to see her promote transphobic messages, but you aren't helping with calling her a cunt and speaking like that. It only increases the "us" versus "them" mentality. The way you're speaking only kills the nuance this topics needs.

Last edited:

Interfectum

You speak of nuance and call her a cunt. Maybe you don't know what that word means?

Nothing she said was transphobic.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
She has strong opinions related biological sex vs. gender identity. That's illegal now?

1: I don't date black people
2: Racist!

1: I don't like blue color
2: Blue-phobic!

Last time I checked she is not advocating for violence or reduction of trans rights, conversion therapy, etc. The "bathroom bill" is not reducing trans rights, it is making men go to women's bathroom. Which I am sure fuckton of women have big issues with, starting with the hygiene aspect.

BbMajor7th

Why do some of you guys act as if this hasn't always existed? It exist in all countries and cultures. The perception of right and wrong doesn't only belong to the government.
I never argued otherwise; it's almost a non-remark to point out that everyone has their own perception of right and wrong. What has tended to belong exclusively to appointed authorities, however, is the law: the creation and enforcement of law. Vigilantism is quite literally people taking the law into their own hands. Why am I explaining this to you? You know this. You either agree that it's alright for people to operate outside the law whenever they feel justified, or you don't, but that includes people that storm the Capitol Building as well as people that get angry on Twitter.

Neff

There's more genuine hate coming from Rowling's detractors than Rowling herself. In fact, there isn't an ounce of hate I can see in Rowling. Just articulate, polite, rational reasoning which she's more than entitled to whether you agree with her or not.

Your examples are people putting themselves at risk for others. Cancel culture is more akin to sociopaths reaping that sweet, sweet dopamine that floods the brain when they hurt others.

Sadly a very accurate summary of the difference between activism and slacktivism.

Last edited:

Goalus

There's more genuine hate coming from Rowling's detractors than Rowling herself. In fact, there isn't an ounce of hate I can see in Rowling. Just articulate, polite, rational reasoning which she's more than entitled to whether you agree with her or not.
Exactly.
I don't see Rowling throwing around words like "fuck", "bigot" or "cunt". That is exclusively the language of the they/them people.

mckmas8808

I never argued otherwise; it's almost a non-remark to point out that everyone has their own perception of right and wrong. What has tended to belong exclusively to appointed authorities, however, is the law: the creation and enforcement of law. Vigilantism is quite literally people taking the law into their own hands. Why am I explaining this to you? You know this. You either agree that it's alright for people to operate outside the law whenever they feel justified, or you don't, but that includes people that storm the Capitol Building as well as people that get angry on Twitter.

I think there's a decided difference between someone saying #fireJoeRogan on Twitter and the attack on the Capital Building in Washington DC. I'm 100% for operating outside of the law, as long as what you're doing is legal. Sometimes the law doesn't have the appropriate protections in place, so "the people" should create a defense for where the law lacks.

Mess

I think there's a decided difference between someone saying #fireJoeRogan on Twitter and the attack on the Capital Building in Washington DC. I'm 100% for operating outside of the law, as long as what you're doing is legal. Sometimes the law doesn't have the appropriate protections in place, so "the people" should create a defense for where the law lacks.

Can't agree with you here. If the law is lacking, people should try to change it for the better, not "create a defense". One of the issue of today's world is that social medias tend to turn comfirmation bias to eleven and to make people think that whatever belief their social bubble shares is accepted society-wide.

Reading that post I was thinking to myself that people nowadays seem to hate democracy. Is democraphobia a thing? Maybe there's an ironic alternate universe where there are twitter mobs aimed at such an offense :messenger_tears_of_joy:

mckmas8808

Can't agree with you here. If the law is lacking, people should try to change it for the better, not "create a defense". One of the issue of today's world is that social medias tend to turn comfirmation bias to eleven and to make people think that whatever belief their social bubble shares is accepted society-wide.

Reading that post I was thinking to myself that people nowadays seem to hate democracy. Is democraphobia a thing? Maybe there's an ironic alternate universe where there are twitter mobs aimed at such an offense :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I think democracy allows for both sides to exist and do and say the things that they do. That's the full wrath of democracy. We have to put up with people that don't want certain influences to exist. Even when we completely disagree with that person.

BbMajor7th

I think there's a decided difference between someone saying #fireJoeRogan on Twitter and the attack on the Capital Building in Washington DC.
A difference in outcome but not a difference in principle. Both perceive injustice that is not being tackled by the law so act to tackle it themselves. There are currently no laws protecting someone from being targeted by this form of online vigilantism but that's because it's relatively new and the law has yet to catch up. I imagine it will in time and it should. Freedom of speech should and does protect your right to tell someone you think they're views are abhorrent, but it should not give you the right to interfere with thier private life: to put pressure on employers, colleagues, business partners and other private contacts in the hope of exacting material economic and social harm against them for exercising thier basic rights to freedom of thought and expression.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
No.....you just disagree with me. Not sure why you can't just agree to disagree. None of my post are disingenuous or strawman arguments. You just disagree. This world today is crazy, because people can't seem to learn how to agree to disagree without tossing around silly words around that aren't properly used.

In this case here, I don't even have a straight line narrative. I understand the nuance and haven't picked "a side" like most on the internet would want people to do.

I would be all for "agreeing to disagree", however you made disingenuous claims, refused to back up said claims when confronted, and pushed strawman arguments. There is a difference between "I don't agree with the views in the "Aloy" thread" and making the claim that the arguments were "a female video game character isn't pretty enough". The former is an opinion, one we can agree to disagree on. The latter is a strawman argument made to dismiss valid criticism. And that is just *one* example of many.

If you truly "haven't picked a side", you would constantly make these argumentative fallacies every corner. It is clear as day which "side" you have chosen.

mckmas8808

Could you give an example (not necessarily related to JKR and the trans debate) of what you mean by this?

- In the 1950s many in Alabama boycotted riding all of the buses in the city in order to show their displeasure with the standard at that time. The standard was that black people had to sit in the back of the bus. When 40,000 black people decided to not ride the buses in the city for over a half year, it wasn't until the courts made the city's rule illegal until things changed.

- In the video game's space it has happened with Microtransactions in some games. These days some companies shout out at the beginning of a marketing run that "our game doesn't have microtransactions", just so everyone is aware. Because with certain games and from certain companies, they've lose trust with some of us gamers.

- Boycotts were started in 2018 against Ivanka Trump. She ended up closing her fashion brand. Her brand's sales fell 45% due to those boycotts. They started as an act against her father.

- Colin Kaepernick still hasn't even had a practice try out for the NFL because of the noise that 40% of America has made about his "not" standing up during the national anthem.

In those 4 examples, people didn't do anything illegal. Yet they made their thoughts and dollar felt by major corporations. And those corporations\country changed their stance.

I would be all for "agreeing to disagree", however you made disingenuous claims, refused to back up said claims when confronted, and pushed strawman arguments. There is a difference between "I don't agree with the views in the "Aloy" thread" and making the claim that the arguments were "a female video game character isn't pretty enough". The former is an opinion, one we can agree to disagree on. The latter is a strawman argument made to dismiss valid criticism. And that is just *one* example of many.

If you truly "haven't picked a side", you would constantly make these argumentative fallacies every corner. It is clear as day which "side" you have chosen.

My claims are backed up. You simply just disagree with what I'm saying, so you move the goalpost by "claiming" that it's just a strawman argument. There were many guys all on GAF, Twitter, etc that claimed that Aloy isn't pretty enough and said that she was fat. And a good percentage of those people then went on to say that it's part of an agenda that western devs have at the moment. You've seen these arguments, so stop playing.

People like you can't take nuance, so you try to pin people like me into one box. I see you though. Your games don't work on me lol.

- In the 1950s many in Alabama boycotted riding all of the buses in the city in order to show their displeasure with the standard at that time. The standard was that black people had to sit in the back of the bus. When 40,000 black people decided to not ride the buses in the city for over a half year, it wasn't until the courts made the city's rule illegal until things changed.

- In the video game's space it has happened with Microtransactions in some games. These days some companies shout out at the beginning of a marketing run that "our game doesn't have microtransactions", just so everyone is aware. Because with certain games and from certain companies, they've lose trust with some of us gamers.

- Boycotts were started in 2018 against Ivanka Trump. She ended up closing her fashion brand. Her brand's sales fell 45% due to those boycotts. They started as an act against her father.

- Colin Kaepernick still hasn't even had a practice try out for the NFL because of the noise that 40% of America has made about his "not" standing up during the national anthem.

In those 4 examples, people didn't do anything illegal. Yet they made their thoughts and dollar felt by major corporations. And those corporations\country changed their stance.

Thanks. I must have misunderstood what you meant by "operating outside of the law". It seems that you were talking about not going down the road of suing / launching legal proceedings.

In the UK I think most people would probably assume it meant doing something illegal.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

My claims are backed up. You simply just disagree with what I'm saying, so you move the goalpost by "claiming" that it's just a strawman argument. There were many guys all on GAF, Twitter, etc that claimed that Aloy isn't pretty enough and said that she was fat. And a good percentage of those people then went on to say that it's part of an agenda that western devs have at the moment. You've seen these arguments, so stop playing.

People like you can't take nuance, so you try to pin people like me into one box. I see you though. Your games don't work on me lol.
R.c4d1e050cee099d70f1b0c9092d7ab8b

luffie

I agree with you that she doesn't speak the truth. And it's weird to see her promote transphobic messages, but you aren't helping with calling her a cunt and speaking like that. It only increases the "us" versus "them" mentality. The way you're speaking only kills the nuance this topics needs.
What is the truth then? What did she say "specifically" that is transphobic?

State your examples, exact words.

Read her essay and yeah, I don't think she's a cunt a bigot or a transphobe. You and many more are categorically incorrect on this.

Ladioss

I love how that whole emotionnal blackmailing scheme works. Say that JKR is a nazi white-supremacist transphobe, never explain why, and in any case if you disagree you are a bigot. We are literally back to dogma dictating public debate - but worse, as even the inquisition allowed people to have a defence counsel.

Public empathy is weaponized to implement a whole new totalitarian system.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
That's exactly what the people storming the capital were thinking too.

Bragr

Banned

You don't have to agree with Rowling, or even like her, but this is over-the-top, she's not some rambling idiot who rambled idiot things. If you think she's that bad, you gotta have a reason other than parroting things from twitter. What exactly is the big problem you have with Rowling?

Anarchistry

She has strong opinions related biological sex vs. gender identity. That's illegal now?

1: I don't date black people
2: Racist!

1: I don't like blue color
2: Blue-phobic!

Last time I checked she is not advocating for violence or reduction of trans rights, conversion therapy, etc. The "bathroom bill" is not reducing trans rights, it is making men go to women's bathroom. Which I am sure fuckton of women have big issues with, starting with the hygiene aspect.
This is the shit that bothers me. Who said it was illegal, or should be illegal, to have strong opinions? Nobody. If you have a strong opinion that directly contradicts peoples' worldviews then you shouldn't be surprised when you get pushback. That's how this whole thing works!

The death of Tumblr was about the worst thing in the past 15 years because most of those people moved to Twitter and the like, and they’re VERY loud and persistent.
To some degree, it makes sense to have some kind of moderation. What is being called outrageous by some people is completely and utterly banal stuff, people should not get in trouble for being disagreable, or just not agreeing... even being mean to a degree (however that passes and is encouraged if this is done to someone who disagrees with the mob... Not sure who would gloat is JK rowling was violently attacked, but I'm sure some genius journalist would start the article with a disclaimer about her being anti trans or something ridiculous of that type—which she is not by any reasonable definition).

This is pure manipulation, probably run by sociopaths.

Moneal

I love how that whole emotionnal blackmailing scheme works. Say that JKR is a nazi white-supremacist transphobe, never explain why, and in any case if you disagree you are a bigot. We are literally back to dogma dictating public debate - but worse, as even the inquisition allowed people to have a defence counsel.

Public empathy is weaponized to implement a whole new totalitarian system.
It's almost like the masses crave a religion, even if that religion isn't explicitly called one. Also the old religions had much more concrete dogma.

Ladioss

It's almost like the masses crave a religion, even if that religion isn't explicitly called one. Also the old religions had much more concrete dogma.
I'm beginning to suspect that irrationality is inherent to mankind, and societies evolve traditional religious institutions for a purpose : channeling irrationality throught the least socially damaging purposes as possible. Destroy religion, and irrationality contaminate the rest of society.

Top Bottom