• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming journalist refuses to cover Hogwarts Legacy due to its "ties" with J.K Rowling.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
One of the good things about human civilization so far is that the longer we are on the Earth, the more intelligent we've become of ourselves and the everything in the Universe around us. So just because something was so-called "true" pre-2015, doesn't mean we don't elevate our thinking and knowledge on the matter.

500 years ago we thought the Earth was the middle of the solar system with the sun, stars, and other planets orbiting us. Nowadays........we know better.

Are you really trying to compare denying biological scientific fact to the unscientific views of geocentricism that was predominantly pushed by ideological loonies?

Do you not get the irony in that? FFS, Mckmas use the brain I know you have.

Ogbert

One of the good things about human civilization so far is that the longer we are on the Earth, the more intelligent we've become of ourselves and the everything in the Universe around us. So just because something was so-called "true" pre-2015, doesn't mean we don't elevate our thinking and knowledge on the matter.

500 years ago we thought the Earth was the middle of the solar system with the sun, stars, and other planets orbiting us. Nowadays........we know better.
This is historically illiterate.

Civilisation regresses all the time. Hence Rome. Hence the Dark Ages.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Yaniv is a known troll (as is the author of that article for repeatedly and purposely misgendering them - while curiously being okay with using their preferred first name). Regardless, eve they aren't suggesting - at least from the article you've posted - that trans-women can menstruate. Their ask was that someone do "something" to their male genitalia.

. . .the original point, which was really obvious, was that JKR using features of biological females to narrow who can be considered a cultural woman (exclusionary language that would also apply to biological women) could easily be seen as being transphobic.

93xfan

Banned

This is incredibly poor logic. To assume humans are always in an upwards trajectory in terms of “knowing better”, especially in terms of a heavily politicized topic.

Many societies have moved towards stupidity at various times.

An example would be when the US for a time thought McCarthyism will keep us safer. Or maybe just talk to a longtime nutritionist and see what’s changed ever the last few decades and what we’ve flip flopped on.

Astral Dog

lol this is still going? Rowling may say some controversial stuff(she is still a human being, with flaws, her upbringing might have something to do with her views) but her books are very positive and have inspired millions of kids over the years, she also has donated millions to charity (specially those of violence against women)she isn't spreading hate or violence against anyone, i don't think she is racist or a troll like other notorious writters or politicians , on the contrary.

Her sin is not repeating what a certain ultra progressive mob yells these days on social media, making fun of pronouns, not saying the politically 'correct' words, for that she recieves countless threats and misogynic insults, i mean you can criticize and disagree with her views fairly, but this inmense hate that has breed against her is really because she wrote the Harry Potter. A part of her fanbase now despises her, has rebelled and wants her out.and since this is Harry Potter they are very loud.

Fortunately that's just not gonna happen

Last edited:

Moneal

This is incredibly poor logic. To assume humans are always in an upwards trajectory in terms of “knowing better”, especially in terms of a heavily politicized topic.

An example would be when the US for a time thought McCarthyism will keep us safer. Or maybe just talk to a longtime nutritionist and see what’s changed ever the last few decades and what we’ve flip flopped on.
Or just look at Soviet Russia or the great leap forward of China.

Dont go that far in time, Just Last month Russia decided to destroy his economy and wealth for no apparent reason, societies do that all the time, they have a stupid idea and go full ape shit

People who believe all progress is good and positive, are fucking naive, if not full idiots

Goalus

Be a pioneer and make one!
I would, but I only just started reading the books. If it's allowed by the forum administration, I'd consider doing it in a few weeks after having completed at least the first few books.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Activist not journalist.
giphy.gif

Stuart360

. . .the original point, which was really obvious, was that JKR using features of biological females to narrow who can be considered a cultural woman (exclusionary language that would also apply to biological women) could easily be seen as being transphobic.
Or seen as stating facts, or not feeling pressured to conform to a load of bollocks (literally).

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Yor bait wont work, you know exactly what i'm talking about.

I don't. If the "literal bollocks" you're talking about is the idea that "trans-women can menstruate" - no trans activist has said that or been recorded saying that or has even used that as pushback against JRK's comments. It is a comment invented out of thin air that hasn't been supported by any of the folks making this claim in this thread.

. . .hence why I asked for what you are suggesting is "bollocks."

Moneal

I don't. If the "literal bollocks" you're talking about is the idea that "trans-women can menstruate" - no trans activist has said that or been recorded saying that or has even used that as pushback against JRK's comments. It is a comment invented out of thin air that hasn't been supported by any of the folks making this claim in this thread.

. . .hence why I asked for what you are suggesting is "bollocks."
She never said or aluded to the idea that Trans women say they menstruate. She complained that articles said menstruating people. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ly-women-get-periods/articleshow/76363810.cms

Women aka female humans bleed. Men don't bleed. Trans men can bleed. Trans women can't. Notice the qualifier Trans. The word woman means female human. Adding Trans as a qualifier creates a new phrase.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Are you really trying to compare denying biological scientific fact to the unscientific views of geocentricism that was predominantly pushed by ideological loonies?

Do you not get the irony in that? FFS, Mckmas use the brain I know you have.

Yes I am. I was under the impression that geocentricism as thought by legitimate scholars and mathematicians of that era. At some point once the "truth" was realized and told to the masses, the loonies still believed in geocentricism. Ultimately we as humans are starting (I'm assuming that we are only about 10-20% there) to understanding what gender (not sex) really is. And what it means to be a man, woman, or non-binary. So, I'm not surprised to see the huge push back against it.

The bolded is true. You're right. But the arc of human civilization advancement has been upward. It's like housing prices or the stock market in America. They go up and down year to year. But over the long arc of history, it'll always go up.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Living in a bubble of self-righteousness without a shred of empathy outside your own understanding just creates more division. Rowling was never actually hateful toward transgender people to begin with, but I have to wonder how she feels now after being dragged through the dirt these past couple of years by all of this.

I have a lot more inside me to say, but I just don't have the energy. There's just too much...and all of this online animosity has been a massive reason I've become so agoraphobic and my social anxiety has skyrocketed back nearly to levels it was before I ever transitioned.

Living in a bubble of self-righteousness without a shred of empathy outside your own understanding just creates more division. Rowling was never actually hateful toward transgender people to begin with, but I have to wonder how she feels now after being dragged through the dirt these past couple of years by all of this.

I have a lot more inside me to say, but I just don't have the energy. There's just too much...and all of this online animosity has been a massive reason I've become so agoraphobic and my social anxiety has skyrocketed back nearly to levels it was before I ever transitioned.
Im pretty sure she start hating the trans comunity tbh, specially after they doxxed her and go to their house to harrass ver, and not a single trans organization stand with her, so to her eyes, they are evil

She is a real feminist, and like her, i NEVER seen a trans feminist fighting and discussing other women issues, besides their own trans issues, thats probably what She is thinking

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Im pretty sure she start hating the trans comunity tbh, specially after they doxxed her and go to their house to harrass ver, and not a single trans organization stand with her, so to her eyes, they are evil

She is a real feminist, and like her, i NEVER seen a trans feminist fighting and discussing other women issues, besides their own trans issues, thats probably what She is thinking
I'd like to think that J K Rowling is intelligent enough to distinguish between the fanatics and genuine sane memebers of LGBTQ community, and not put everyone into the same box.

Last edited:
I'd like to think that J K Rowling is intelligent enough to distinguish between the the fanatics and genuine sane memebers of LGBTQ Community and not put everyone into the same box.
But like i say, Who from the trans comunity stand with her? Or any prominent lgbt activist? Because what that comunity did to her its super vile, She was an ally to the lgbtq before Twitter, before the woke nonesense, People make fun of her, like dumbledure being hay, que But She was still standing for that comunity

Now after all this lies and all that

Who from the lgbt stand with her? Because of this situation, the lgbt comunity show me, they have no honor

Moneal

But like i say, Who from the trans comunity stand with her? Or any prominent lgbt activist? Because what that comunity did to her its super vile, She was an ally to the lgbtq before Twitter, before the woke nonesense, People make fun of her, like dumbledure being hay, que But She was still standing for that comunity

Who from the lgbt stand with her? Because of this situation, the lgbt comunity show me, they have no honor
If there are any they aren't in the community anymore. The radical activists took over the community and any that speak against their decrees are ostricized.

DryvBy

Yes I am. I was under the impression that geocentricism as thought by legitimate scholars and mathematicians of that era. At some point once the "truth" was realized and told to the masses, the loonies still believed in geocentricism. Ultimately we as humans are starting (I'm assuming that we are only about 10-20% there) to understanding what gender (not sex) really is. And what it means to be a man, woman, or non-binary. So, I'm not surprised to see the huge push back against it.

The bolded is true. You're right. But the arc of human civilization advancement has been upward. It's like housing prices or the stock market in America. They go up and down year to year. But over the long arc of history, it'll always go up.

Do you enjoy the works of John Money?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'd like to think that J K Rowling is intelligent enough to distinguish between the the fanatics and genuine sane memebers of LGBTQ Community, and not put everyone into the same box.
Maybe. I'd assume so too, but you never know.

The problem is in modern day (maybe the past 5 years?) the very left and loud trans community has taken over being spokesmen for that large acronym. So even though they are probably the smallest part of that group, they seem to be the loudest and get the most media attention.

And it makes sense. Gays and lesbians are old news. It's not like it's 1982. But trans is a pretty new thing to promote. And with social media bigger than ever and you got people like Lia Thomas dominating swimming, what happens is the trans activities take over LGBQT because "the numbers game" is most effective when all of them band together into one group - even though they are different sexually and have different views.

So you get all kinds of views, some people in that acronym battling each other in that blanket group, while straight people (often the adversary) is like.... WTF? Make up your mind what the common view is. If you're going to band together as one, makes sense you have common opinions.

So all in all, a lot of people dont have the time or care enough to seek out the differences within the LGBQT grouping, so they just go with what is promoted first to media.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member

Off the top of my head I believe I've seen Caitlyn Jenner and Eddie Izzard stand up for her and others have as well.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
If there are any they aren't in the community anymore. The radical activists took over the community and any that speak against their decrees are ostricized.
Yep. The one who stood up for Dave Chappelle was told to kill themselves. And sadly they did

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Geocentriam arose from a lack of proper tools and mathematical/physics knowledge and was predominantly pushed by ideological/religious institutions. It wasn't that “Science” changed. It was always just wrong. What we know of biological sex is not wrong. It's basic scientific fact, or as close we can get to that term or we are being pedantic about scientific nomenclature. Instead we have ideological/religious institutions trying to deny scientific reality thanks to fake “science” such as gender studies.

You are actively promoting the same style of idiotic ideological regressivism that kept geocentrism around for as long as it was.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Geocentriam arose from a lack of proper tools and mathematical/physics knowledge and was predominantly pushed by ideological/religious institutions. It wasn't that “Science” changed. It was always just wrong. What we know of biological sex is not wrong. It's basic scientific fact, or as close we can get to that term or we are being pedantic about scientific nomenclature. Instead we have ideological/religious institutions trying to deny scientific reality thanks to fake “science” such as gender studies.

You are actively promoting the same style of idiotic ideological regressivism that kept geocentrism around for as long as it was.
Totally.

The "blame" if anything can easily be pointed to governments for letting things get out of hand (Lia Thomas swimming).

People can think all they want what they are, but scientifically and setting standards, there's a right way to do things and a no holds barred wrong way of doing things.

Think of it like engineering. I'm no engineer, but I'm sure all those bridge builders and architects have their encyclopedias worth of proven knowledge and formulas for figuring out what materials, volume, angles etc... leads to sturdy structures vs. stuff that will collapse. It's not like they just wing it and make shit up.

If it's proven a stone arch leads to strong power due to these mathematical and physics factors, how can anyone just butt in and say an arch is weak just because he feels like saying it? You cant. That's like me saying I'm a doctor. I can dream that all I want 24/7, but in reality I'm not. Now if I actually want to be a doctor (of any kind) I need to graduate med school or get a PhD in whatever field of study I choose.

Nobody will ever disagree with those kinds of comparisons. But when it comes to touchy/feely religious or political things, some reason all that gets thrown out the window.

EDMIX

Agreed. Some times there is an illusion of growth. Its why people need to be honest about where society can grow instead of pretending the progressed gained is enough.

As someone that deeply believes in the zoology theory regarding mankind and Alien life forms I believe it's very possible that any of the visitations that we have may have simply been to monitor our progress or lack thereof and that it's possible that the entire Earth is simply on a nature preserve of sorts in which were simply monitored. I also believe some of those visitations may have not even been to simply monitor but to see our reactions to their existence.

Are we open transparent and wanting to educate on such a sighting or are we more secretive closed off and fearful?

I believe using such a measurement maybe Society has not evolved the way certain people might want to believe it has and we need to question by whose measurement are we really rating our development? I mean for fucksakes are we even equipped to rate our own development? For all we know mankind should have been more advanced eons ago.

There's a lot of things that don't progress not based on technological limitation but simply based on moral Concepts take something like stem cell research or DNA research or even cloning for all we know a completely different Society that's completely open to those ideas in separate from religious Concepts might fully embrace the study of those ideas and maybe decades ago we would have already developed all these ways of actually curing diseases by just cloning specific body parts or something. That's not something that's held back solely 100% by technological limitation that is something that has been held back specifically based on a moral idea which means any other Society on Earth in an alternate universe equivalent to ours may have not had those setbacks and would have advanced in an area more than us which means it's kind of difficult to rate what our advancement actually is.

It means only some higher life-form that is already studied thousands of similar life-forms could really come to a conclusion of where we should be.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
She never said or aluded to the idea that Trans women say they menstruate.

No one said she did. It was a comment made all the way back there on the previous page, so you'll be forgiven for missing it.

Women aka female humans bleed. Men don't bleed. Trans men can bleed. Trans women can't. Notice the qualifier Trans. The word woman means female human. Adding Trans as a qualifier creates a new phrase.

Language changes. Because it has to. JKR knows this, which is why her clumsy tweets are so surprising. If JKR wants to stick to a rapidly outdated and insufficient cultural definition for "women" that's fine; she just can't be shocked when people push back on comments that are summed up as "women menstruate" which (for like the billionth time*) others trans-women and biological females who don't or can't menstruate. There was a better way to argue her point than doing the preceding; she went a different, snarkier route (which also didn't help) and thus she has received the unsurprising pushback.

MHubert

Language changes. Because it has to. JKR knows this, which is why her clumsy tweets are so surprising. If JKR wants to stick to a rapidly outdated and insufficient cultural definition for "women" that's fine; she just can't be shocked when people push back on comments that are summed up as "women menstruate" which (for like the billionth time*) others trans-women and biological females who don't or can't menstruate. There was a better way to argue her point than doing the preceding; she went a different, snarkier route (which also didn't help) and thus she has received the unsurprising pushback.
There is a difference between language evolving naturally over time and language evolving through forced mandation

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Do you enjoy the works of John Money?

Enjoy is a weird word to use in my opinion.

Maybe. I'd assume so too, but you never know.

The problem is in modern day (maybe the past 5 years?) the very left and loud trans community has taken over being spokesmen for that large acronym. So even though they are probably the smallest part of that group, they seem to be the loudest and get the most media attention.

And it makes sense. Gays and lesbians are old news. It's not like it's 1982. But trans is a pretty new thing to promote. And with social media bigger than ever and you got people like Lia Thomas dominating swimming, what happens is the trans activities take over LGBQT because "the numbers game" is most effective when all of them band together into one group - even though they are different sexually and have different views.

So you get all kinds of views, some people in that acronym battling each other in that blanket group, while straight people (often the adversary) is like.... WTF? Make up your mind what the common view is. If you're going to band together as one, makes sense you have common opinions.

So all in all, a lot of people dont have the time or care enough to seek out the differences within the LGBQT grouping, so they just go with what is promoted first to media.

The bolded is kinda unfair to ask for though. There's no group on Earth that's one hivemind, that could deliver a one-size fit all thought on something. But it looks like you know that already. I'm not sure why some straight people expect the LGBTQ community to have one mind approach on this stuff.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

It's fucked up how these activists target gay and lesbian kids who are scared to come out, but to find out they might be taking advantage of autistic kids is what is so repulsive about all of this.

I am glad someone like JK Rowling is standing up to these people. I have nothing against trans people, but we need someone like JK to stand up for our most vulnerable.

GymWolf

No one said she did. It was a comment made all the way back there on the previous page, so you'll be forgiven for missing it.

a rapidly outdated and insufficient cultural definition for "women"

I onestly fear to know the woke crowd modern cultural definition of a woman...

Moneal

Can you point me to this new definition of woman?

Bragr

Banned
If JKR wants to stick to a rapidly outdated and insufficient cultural definition for "women"
If anything, these debates have hardened the views of what a man and women are because the opposite views are only appealing to fridge groups who use non-scientific views to justify their claims. The people who support different definitions of women and men are either trans themselves or have a relative or friend who is, it's all biased.

Language changes. Because it has to.

So what is a woman then? A person who feels like one?
Even that still requires a definition of what "feeling like a woman" entails.

I don't think that personal feelings constitute a sufficient definition of a general notion. And even if you'd somehow come up with the definition of a "cultural woman", you'd have the problem that your "culture" is not universally shared. So different cultures would have different notions of women and what constitutes a woman would depend on which culture you live in. Which is quite frankly absurd and would completely destroy the linguistic purpose of said notion.

And even if you would change the definition of a woman, you'd still need to denominate that which people used to qualify as 'woman'. You can start calling them "cis-women", but then you'd be back to the same problem as before, namely that cis-women and trans-women are not the same thing.
Language might change, but women (and humans in general) do not. They have existed long before the English language.

Also do biological women have no say in this? Is JK Rowling not a woman?
Like, can I just start calling myself an American native? Would that not be pretty insulting to American natives?

I don't think you guys have thought this through.

Last edited:

NickFire

It's fucked up how these activists target gay and lesbian kids who are scared to come out, but to find out they might be taking advantage of autistic kids is what is so repulsive about all of this.

I am glad someone like JK Rowling is standing up to these people. I have nothing against trans people, but we need someone like JK to stand up for our most vulnerable.
To be fair, I have never heard that kids were being affirmatively pressured into these decisions and I am not saying that occurs.

Top Bottom