• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gaming" keyboards = biggest scam in computer gaming

Blackface

Banned
Most keyboards don't allow multiple keys to be pressed at once. Something you must do if you want to be competitive. Some gaming keyboards are a rip off. Some aren't.

obonicus

Zaptruder said:
It's a fetishization of small relatively inconsequential and preferential differences.

Out of curiosity, have you actually used a mechanical keyboard for an appreciable amount of time? I don't ask this to summarily dismiss your opinion, but rather that it's really very hard to articulate how much better these keyboards feel for daily use over the cheap membrane variety.

And I'd argue that the action on the keys is the defining aspect of a keyboard. Not to mention that there are other construction aspects to mechanical keyboards that put them above most gaming keyboards, such as stabilizers, the ease with which you can pop off key-caps (and particularly for cherry mx switches, how easily you can find replacements).

My Saitek Cyborg keyboard bit the dust a couple of weeks ago, but lucky me I was able to find the exact same thing (MadCatz now) for $30 new. Only downside is that it's an ugly ass Modern Warfare edition one.

But illuminated keyboard for $30. Can't go wrong.

Madrical

Banned
I had a Razer Blackwidow that had two broken keys after a few months. I sent it back last week and got a refund, I bought a Das Keyboard instead. I've been told the parcel is at home waiting for me while I'm at work.

Laugh at me all you want, I didn't buy it to give me an 'edge' at gaming, I bought it because I like to have a comfortable keyboard that works well.

I don't get people who spend a ton of keyboards. I've been using a Saitek Eclipse for years now and it works the same each time. I press a key and it works. For gaming, I don't see what I'm missing out.

The mouse is a whole different story though! I'll never give up my MX518

Emitan

RukusProvider said:
I don't get people who spend a ton of keyboards. I've been using a Saitek Eclipse for years now and it works the same each time. I press a key and it works. For gaming, I don't see what I'm missing out.

i move my mouse and it works

why do i need a mx518

I love my MX518.

TheExodu5

Banned
Until you move on to another mouse and try to go back to the MX518 and find you can't because of the angle snapping. :(

RukusProvider said:

And why did you spend $60 on a keyboard when you could have bought one for $5? It seems weird to "not get" people who spend just a bit more than you do on a keyboard.

Swifty

What's with these people spending so much money on optical mice? I have a ball mouse and it works just fine. Optical mice are just for people too lazy to clean their ball bearings.

:D

Orayn

RukusProvider said:

The same could easily be said about mice. You move the cursor/camera, you click, it works.

The point is getting one that has the features you want and feels good for you to use.

TheExodu5

Banned
I will admit that I would much rather a bad keyboard and a good mouse than the contrary. A bad keyboard is usable...it's simply uncomfortable (and a bit slower) in comparison to a good keyboard.

If cost is the issue, you can still get old Model M's for $40-50 shipped on eBay. Or for much less at thrift stores, yard sales, that sort of thing (if eBayers don't get there first). Used, granted, but it's not like the things ever wear out.

Orayn

TheExodu5 said:
I will admit that I would much rather a bad keyboard and a good mouse than the contrary. A bad keyboard is usable...it's simply uncomfortable in comparison to a good keyboard.
Oh, definitely. There are are more ways to screw up an analog input device like a mouse, compared to a big mess of digital switches like a keyboard.

TheExodu5 said:
Until you move on to another mouse and try to go back to the MX518 and find you can't because of the angle snapping. :(

And why did you spend $60 on a keyboard when you could have bought one for $5? It seems weird to "not get" people who spend just a bit more than you do on a keyboard.

It has a cool blue light and back then, I really liked bright lights. I wish I had a better reason but that's the honest truth.

What is this angle snapping witchcraft you speak of?

Orayn

RukusProvider said:
It has a cool blue light and back then, I really liked bright lights. I wish I had a better reason but that's the honest truth.

Your mouse will "magnetically" snap your cursor or camera to move in straight lines, rather than follow the path you trace exactly. Most people find the effect to be pretty subtle, but it drives others absolutely crazy.

RevySubterfuge

Neo Member
Tain said:
I have a nice Filco mechanical keyboard. It wasn't really for gaming, though, as much as it was for all the time I spend on my computer doing anything.

clicky ass keys feel good as hell, man

LOL yes.

TheExodu5

Banned
RukusProvider said:

When you move horizontally/vertically, it will approximate your lines being perfectly straight, evern though they're not. Try opening paint and drawing a horizontal line. You'll notice it's almost perfectly horizontal, even though in actuality you didn't move quite that perfectly.

Orayn said:
Your mouse will "magnetically" snap your cursor or camera to move in straight lines, rather than follow the path you trace exactly. Most people find the effect to be pretty subtle, but it drives others absolutely crazy.

I'm sure the vast majority of people wouldn't notice it. It was pretty noticeable for me after coming off my Razer Mamba, though. I had ordered another MX518 because I wanted to go back to my favorite mouse, but my dreams were crushed after feeling the angle snapping. :(

RukusProvider said:
Optical/laser mice have varying degrees of prediction on their sensors. In this case, it means it straightens out your motions at fixed angles. For instance, if you went into a paint program and made a swipe with a pencil tool, you'll probably find that it'll be mostly perfectly straight. This isn't a case of your wrist being godlike, it's your mouse's sensor adjusting your cursor movement.

TheExodu5 said:
I'm sure the vast majority of people wouldn't notice it. It was pretty noticeable for me after coming off my Razer Mamba, though. I had ordered another MX518 because I wanted to go back to my favorite mouse, but my dreams were crushed after feeling the angle snapping. :(
Deathadder's my go to. I'm a recent convert and I've never used a better mouse before.

RevySubterfuge

Neo Member
See You Next Wednesday said:
Come on, your saying you wouldn't put in a little extra scratch for something like this bad boy

logitech-g19-gaming-keyboard_5tfN9_5965.jpg

OH JEEZUS! O.O

TheExodu5

Banned
Rickenslacker said:
Deathadder's my go to. I'm a recent convert and I've never used a better mouse before.

I like it, but Razer's drivers are terrible, so I use the default Windows drivers and don't get to make use of 1000Hz polling or customize my sensitivity. My front thumb button is also loose. It certainly doesn't have the build quality of the MX518, which is a shame, because I love the form factor.

That being said, I think I would have trouble going wired again. It's nice to have a mouse that has zero wireless lag.

Orayn said:

Yeah I just searched a found what it is and verified I have it. I don't mind. Maybe that's what allows me to get more headshots when I strafe fire and small movements are straightened out. Cool with me! I don't do any sort of art or such where it would be a real problem. I could see that.

TheExodu5 said:
I like it, but Razer's drivers are terrible, so I use the default Windows drivers and don't get to make use of 1000Hz polling or customize my sensitivity. My front thumb button is also loose. It certainly doesn't have the build quality of the MX518, which is a shame, because I love the form factor.

That being said, I think I would have trouble going wired again.
Razer's drivers are god awful (gave me BSODs after a few minutes, amazing), and I'm not sure how it works on their other mice, but on the Deathadder you can adjust the settings to your liking within the driver, uninstall it, and the mouse will retain those settings from then on.

TheExodu5

Banned
Here's someone's picture on HardForum demonstrating angle snapping:

2u7r2qc.jpg

Rickenslacker said:
Razer's drivers are god awful (gave me BSODs after a few minutes, amazing), and I'm not sure how it works on their other mice, but on the Deathadder you can adjust the settings to your liking within the driver, uninstall it, and the mouse will retain those settings from then on.

Yeah, I guess this one would do it to.

Razer's drivers would actually make my mouse freeze and not work until I would restart my PC, lol.

In honor of BlizzCon, SteelSeries is offering 40% off at the North America web shop.

Use code Blizz2k11

Valid until Monday, October 24th.

link

Maybe a good time to jump into one of those mechanical keyboards....

Top Bottom