• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GA's "Record/do what you like with the song" contest/game

Status
Not open for further replies.

FightyF

Banned
This thread's been slowing down...I have another idea at a little contest. I can make a sample pack for it. I'll call it...

The ElectroniCliche contest

I'll zip up a file full of wav samples, that are considered "cliches" in electronic music. Eg. the Amen breakbeat...used in thousands of tracks. Here is a list of what I was thinking...let me know if I need to add something, as I don't listen to every genre, but every genre has their own things.

Amen break (unedited, right from the original Winstons track)
909 bassdrum (also one distorted to a gabber-like kick)
909 hats, snare, crash and clap
808 elongated and filtered downwards (you can use your own too)
sinewave bassline (jungly-ish...can distort as well)
A few Hoover samples
A quote from a movie (you'll see which! :))
A detuned trancey synth (pretty much the variety that you hear in many dance/trance songs)
A few piano samples (of the stabby rave variety)
A few industrial sounds
An orch hit (hopefully I got one)

Anything else? There are some samples that you hear in so many tracks...I'm looking for those type of samples.

If it looks like no one's interested, I won't bother. Maybe we can do something like this in a few months time if now isn't a good time.

ZILLION

Just checking this thread for the first time in awhile. That's too bad about the SF samples. I'll see what I can put together for a future contest.

I'm totally in on the new contest though. You should add the voice samples from Berzerk. They're on this page. You can never have too many songs with Amen breaks and Berzerk samples. :)

http://digitalpress.5u.com/dpsoundz/soundfx.htm

Hopefully a bunch of you guys get involved. it's one thing to make your own stuff but its uber fun to make stuff from a preset package of samples. C'mon guys. Challenge yourselves! Looking forward to the zip..:)

FightyF

Banned
Great suggestion!

Working on the zip now...it'll take some time as I'm multitasking.

I'll include some samples used in a Rage Racer song. I think it was Mathamabeat.

FightyF

Banned
Ok, it's a 6MB zip of a whole bunch of samples...with the Bezerk samples, as well as the ones that were also used in that one Rage Racer track, and a clip from a movie...you'll see which :p

The rules for this little compo is that you have to use the samples for percussion and can't add your own. But for the bass and leads, you can use whatever you want (VSTs, or your own samples). Also, you have to include either the Bezerk samples or the Mathmabeat samples in your track, or the movie clip...try to get creative.

Feel free to create multiple entries!

To get people motivated...maybe we can vote for our favourites? I'm thinking multiple catagories would be cool...ie. Funniest...weirdest...most ear-bleeding...most dancable...most creative use of voice samples, etc.

GA sample pack

ZILLION

Awesome. I'll get started on mine tommorrow. My head's too fuzzy to start it right away.

I like the movie sample. Good one!

For anybody else interested,he put together a nice set of samples. It shoudl be easy to do something interesting..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom