• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC State of the Industry: Devs optimistic about Nintendo Switch, 3% developing

Hoo-doo

Banned
GDC is almost indie developers. Who cares about their $5 games lol.

Isn't the indie scene where the vast majority of announced Switch titles are coming from?

So unless these Switch owners will want to keep playing the waiting game for months at a time, I think a lot of them care.

LordRaptor

9 months before the PS4/XB1 release 11% of devs said they were working on upcoming games for those platforms.

Who knows how much further out the survey was taken vs the release.

9 months before the release of the switch almost nobody knew anything about it outside of rumours and speculation about "NX"

GDC is almost indie developers. Who cares about their $5 games lol.

yutRrqm.gif

.Anema

more sales = more fun?

i take it you only enjoy creed & transformers movies?

CONSOLE WAAAARS

Im talking about people who buy and cares about indie games. Not about fun or quality.
And indie games sales are poor in general, because people dont care.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Im talking about people who buy and cares about indie games. Not about fun or quality.
And indie games sales are poor in general, because people dont care.

you do you realize you're on a gaming enthusiast forum, right lol

K' Dash

e908b8ed9f8d727bc1b4e55a46bf6337_omg-oh-noes-omg-gif_160-75.gif

The thing is two weeks old, devs also didn't know Nintendo would hit it out of the park with the release, I'm sure the game will come.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Spend some time on Steam Spy and get back to us.

Yeah, indeed. Stardew Valley is so niche, the same for Undertale. No one bought those games. And what's this Mine-craft thing, right here?

Nightbird

speaking of avs - whats that 2 from?

That's from DB-Gaf, the current arc involves a tournament between 12 Universes, so we decided to create teams based on the months we were born in to root for the corresponding universe.

And since i was born in February, i got that nice 2 for my Avatar :)

Shiggy

Looking at SteamSpy, I'm actually shocked how little some of those games have sold despite their critical acclaim. Seems to be quite a niche still outside of the rare phenomenon.

The survey doesn't really have a meaning. It's old and Nintendo is restrictive with dev kits. Thus it's not surprising when AR headsets have more survey participants who say they are developing for those than for Switch.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

oh jeez i didnt even realize

a bunch of the biggest sellers are indies

That's from DB-Gaf, the current arc involves a tournament between 12 Universes, so we decided to create teams based on the months we were born in to root for the corresponding universe.

And since i was born in February, i got that nice 2 for my Avatar :)

ah word thanks

Well I got one for the Nintendo games and the few (portable like) 3rd party games like Phoenix Wright, SE portable JRPG, etc...

But after all this is expected. Not sure what people were hoping for.

Peltz

That's over 4,500 polled though. So there's over 135 developers making games for Switch and considering how stingy Nintendo is being with dev kits, that's likely (mostly) decent quality software.

It will grow.

e908b8ed9f8d727bc1b4e55a46bf6337_omg-oh-noes-omg-gif_160-75.gif

The thing is two weeks old, devs also didn't know Nintendo would hit it out of the park with the release, I'm sure the game will come.
This gif is cute lol

Everyone saying the thing just came out.....you guys do understand that you are menat to have devs developing games for your system before its release, so that once it does release you will have support in the initial years. Developing for a new system is not just some switch you can turn on ;)

Cuburt

Let's see how many more times this news can be merged into this thread in upcoming months and people react like it's new every single time.

I need my daily dose of Nintendoom or else I might start thinking that Nintendo might have had a successful launch and get optimistic about the next year.

Moreche

As an owner of a PS4 Pro and Switch, this graph means nothing to me simply because iPhone and iPads don't offer the gaming experiences that I value for the price the hardware costs.
I fully understand why devs flock to them but I have zero interests in what they offer. Playing GTA SA on an iPhone or iPad has zero appeal to me nowadays.
It used to because I found it a novelty to see it running on something I carry in my pocket but that novelty has gone now when I realise that conserving my phone battery for what I really need it to do means more to me than playing an old PS2 game.
I really wish mobile phone gaming would go away.

chekhonte

/Was there a good podcast that got into this years GDC in depth? There's usually a handful of things that really pique my interest but I have to be introduced to them.

Top Bottom