• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC State of the Industry: Devs optimistic about Nintendo Switch, 3% developing

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Today, January 12, 2017, UBM published its GDC State of the Industry, and the report contains some interesting details regarding Nintendo Switch:

Results from the fifth annual Game Developers Conference State of the Industry Survey are in, revealing trends in the games industry based on the feedback of more than 4,500 game developers ahead of GDC 2017 in February and March.

gdc_state_of_the_gameh7qns.png

Nintendo’s new Switch console is also expected to debut this year, so it’s
interesting that 3 percent of respondents said they’re currently working on a
game that will release on Switch and 5 percent said they expect their next game
will be released on Switch.

Game makers are feeling optimistic about
Nintendo’s new Switch console
Nintendo is expected to release its hybrid portable/home console,
the Switch, this March, and the game makers we surveyed seem
cautiously optimistic about the platform’s chances.

When polled about whether or not they thought the Switch would
outsell Nintendo’s Wii U (which has an install base of roughly 13
million, worldwide) in its lifetime, 50 percent said yes, the Switch
will outperform the Wii U. 14 percent predicted it wouldn’t, and 37
percent admitted they had no idea.

The Switch’s ability to...switch between a portable mode and a docked home
console mode is the console’s core selling point, but survey respondents seem
unsure about whether that feature will resonate with the public. 48 percent said
they thought it might, but that it doesn’t seem to be world-changing, while 19
percent said yes, the Switch is the right product for the right time.

11 percent figured people wouldn’t be interested in the core premise of the
Switch, and 23 percent said they didn’t know how it would be received
upon launch.
You can download the full report here: http://reg.techweb.com/GDCSF17-StateOfGame?kcode=gamabl0112

Sendou

Between 360 and Apple TV nice. Real talk though I imagine this number will go up depending on sales and when availability of dev kits becomes better.

Mr Swine

Banned
Between 360 and Apple TV nice. Real talk though I imagine this number will go up depending on sales and when availability of dev kits becomes better.

I don't think It won't go up when sales take of. It will take to long time to make games and they will release bad ports that won't sell and go "nah no market there"

Papacheeks

Banned
Wow, that doesn't instill confidence, but maybe that can change once it starts to take off? But Nintendo needs to be more proactive in courting people to want to develop on switch.

kaioshade

Almost no one has kits right now because Nintendo's been so tight with them. That and devs are still waiting to see how Switch performs before jumping in so they avoid a Wii U situation.

Reasonable enough. I guess it was the "optimistic" that threw me off. Hopefully that number goes up once more dev kits are out there.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Almost no one has kits right now because Nintendo's been so tight with them. That and devs are still waiting to see how Switch performs before jumping in so they avoid a Wii U situation.

Why is that? Sounds pretty moronic 3 months before launch to still be tight lipped with dev kits. Some messed up priorities there.

EDarkness

Nintendo isn't giving out dev kits yet, so I imagine this list will be higher later this year and next year once they allow the average developer to make games and more bigger names can jump in, too. I don't know if I would read anything into this right now.

I don't plan on using the Switch as a 3rd party machine.

That's just me.

I do, so I guess we cancel each other out. :D

Boney

Banned
The democratization of PC development is so wonderful.

3% looks abysmal but in context it's not so bad, with less that 30% developing for the PS4. Nintendo has to swim against a very strong current to earn some support so how it's recieved is what'll matter

inky

Lack of a dev kit didn't prevent one studio from announcing their "Switch game" already, so I'm not sure that's as much of a hurdle as people say it is.

That number will grow if it succeeds. All the more reason first party content will be crucial in taking the thing off the ground and building a base for third parties to take advantage of.

When Wii Sports and Wii Play took the market by storm, third parties followed with their own mini game compilations, sports titles, casual/family friendly titles etc. Too bad a lot of 'em were terrible.

Durante

Other interesting results from the same survey:

(They call it "HTC Vive's ascendancy to become the most popular VR/AR platform for devs", which is going a bit far, but it's looking good!)

Top Bottom