• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC State of the Industry: Devs optimistic about Nintendo Switch, 3% developing

inky

HoloLens still happening?

edit: I see, still far away and not really a full affordable gaming platform in the near future.

SuomiDude

Isn't 135 developers basically more than what Wii U had in its whole lifetime? Ok, adding all indie games, there was probably more on Wii U (all those shitty shovelware games had different devs), but on the other hand, they've had many years to add to the number for Wii U devs while Switch isn't even launched, and it already has over 135 developers working on it and many more probably having their next game on the system. That's pretty damn good, especially if there's lots of bigger developers (like there is according to that picture showing off the developers already on it).

Other interesting results from the same survey:

(They call it "HTC Vive's ascendancy to become the most popular VR/AR platform for devs", which is going a bit far, but it's looking good!)

I think Oculus really fucked up by not launching with the Touch controllers. They seem better than the Vive stuff from my experience, but the Vive had eight months to steal all the development momentum.

I know it's kind of out of their control because the product just wasn't ready, but I think it's obvious that it massively hurt them.

JP

The same percentage as "Android Microconsole".

In comparison to PlayStation 4 (27%) and Xbox One (22%) that doesn't strike me as particularly positive for something that's only two months away from launch. :(

brad-t

The same percentage as "Android Microconsole".

In comparison to PlayStation 4 (27%) and Xbox One (22%) that doesn't strike me as particularly positive for something that's only two months away from launch. :(

Those systems have been out for years and have sold over 70 million units. The Switch has sold 0.

Expectations for significantly more than this are totally unreasonable.

KORNdoggy

Sounds pretty moronic to indiscriminately ship dev kits for a console you're trying to keep under wraps.

The thing is out in 2 months. There is nothing to keep under wraps. The thing should be in every developers hands who wants one at this point.

Papacheeks

Banned
Sounds pretty moronic to indiscriminately ship dev kits for a console you're trying to keep under wraps.

No it doesn't? LOL.

What?

You can't expect to rely on how well the console sells to entice developers on your platform. There are other things at play. Having a open dialogue with signed and potential future developers is how your grow your library and relationship with good word and mouth.

Nintendo should have been reaching out like crazy, even if they didn't get a lot of calls or hear back from developers the word would spread that Nintendo is openly talking to developers and doing everything they can to have an open dialogue.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Less than Apple TV though, that's got to sting. That thing is dead as a doornail as far as gaming is concerned.

GulAtiCa

If your an indie (and not super popular that is), you can't even get a dev kit right now.

I know I'd like to get one... Still waiting.. (I'd consider myself a very low indie dev)

The statistics is pretty much useless. 3DS has less support than Wii U? It most probably doesn't include in Japan and has a high number of random devs polled

Though it is clear next GTA is not in development for Switch

Oregano

Those systems have been out for years and have sold over 70 million units. The Switch has sold 0.

I'm fairly sure those systems had much higher prerelease than this.

JP

OK, any reason you quoted me to say that?

MisterR

50% thinking it will beat the absolutely awful Wii U numbers and 3% developing for doesn't sound super optimistic to me. I hope it does a lot better than that.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Surely drumming up as much support for the consoles launch and year after is more important than keeping it "under wraps", especially when that under wraps period includes up to 3 months before launch.

Durante

I think Oculus really fucked up by not launching with the Touch controllers.
Oculus also really fucked up by making a PC accessory with a software infrastructure designed explicitly to go against a central tenant of PC as a platform (interchangeability of components).
And their figurehead outing himself as a fuckwit doesn't help of course.

Slayven

Same song and dance

Dev:"Nintendo's console is amazing, and exciting"

Public:" So you developing for it?"

Dev:" Oh god no"

Hoo-doo

Banned
Indie devs still trying to be the first with the big it on another iOS platform. I'm surprised the % isn't higher tbh.

Meanwhile my Apple watch is only courting 0.8% of devs. ;_;

I see you, two guys from Niantic in the back! You rock!

Same song and dance

Dev:"Nintendo's console is amazing, and exciting"

Public:" So you developing for it?"

Dev:" Oh god no"

I think you nailed it right there. Ofcourse they are interested.
They are not going to risk their bread and butter on it though.

Papacheeks

Banned
50% thinking it will beat the absolutely awful Wii U numbers and 3% developing for doesn't sound super optimistic to me. I hope it does a lot better than that.

Yea, my hype just went down a little. Like reality is starting to really settle in.

c0de

Other interesting results from the same survey:

(They call it "HTC Vive's ascendancy to become the most popular VR/AR platform for devs", which is going a bit far, but it's looking good!)

Wait, HoloLens already? That's interesting. Wonder what will come out this.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

-Horizon-

The only data you would need is that both PS4 and XB1 launched with an Assassin's Creed game which almost certainly had 500+ people working on it alone.

That would make for a weird survey would it not? Polling people from the same dev team, doesn't that skew the numbers?

I thought they did this survey on a team basis and not on an each separate individual on a team.

thefro

It'll be interesting to see the number next year with NDAs up and dev kits in the wild.

I suspect some of these folks at big companies may have a game that's going to the Switch that they don't know part of their team is porting over.

Durante

Wait, HoloLens already? That's interesting. Wonder what will come out this.
Note that HoloLens is actually shrinking in the "are you developing for it" metric. It's popular in the "Interested" metric, but that seems like the least committed.

Top Bottom