• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC State of the Industry: Devs optimistic about Nintendo Switch, 3% developing

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You mean, the new fact ? Yeah, that is what we called "a fact" in this world.

If a racing car driver tells you the reason he lost a race is because he got drunk. Do you consider that fine and legitimate excuse. It's also a "fact". Sometimes the reasons for something happening are just that stupid and should be used to shield obvious failings.

Why are they doing this?

Nintendo's just tight. It's stupid, but that's how they are.

I always imagined that the Switch's third party support would be as an indie machine, much like the Vita ended up being, but probably to a greater degree. And the indie devs are the ones that would have the hardest time getting a Switch dev kit right now because Nintendo is tight about it.

KooopaKid

Banned
Nintendo 3DS is at 1% and it's fine.
Wii was at what % at the same timeframe?
As usual American 3rd parties won't be there day 1. Depends on the first year.
Plus Japanese developers are more important for Nintendo.

MisterR

You mean, the new fact ? Yeah, that is what we called "a fact" in this world.

If they aren't getting games developed because they aren't giving developers dev kits, that stupid and just as bad as devs not having interest. It takes years to make games, they should be getting as many dev kits out as early as possible. That was one key to the PS4's success.

Interfectum

Is 'nintendo is being extraordinarily tight with devkits' the new 'everyone is under NDA'?

I dunno, you need to think about the new nature of indie game development and who is being polled here. A relatively small indie dev will have almost intimidate access to make games for iOS, Android, Steam/PC, etc thanks to ease of compiling from UE4/Unity/etc.

So if you are a small indie dev being polled about Switch, are you currently developing? Well if you haven't been handed the ability to compile to the system yet (no dev kit, no license from the engine) then the answer is no.

With the supposed ease of porting most Unity and UE4 games to Switch there is no reason devs won't dip their toes in once given the proper access. They will at least try anything once, especially if Switch has a lot of hype behind it.

EDarkness

Why are they doing this?

I have no idea, but this is the way it is. Doesn't matter, since I think once this thing is announced, more games will be announced since there would be nothing holding people back. Probably won't get more indie games released until late Spring or Summer. Probably the same for bigger studios, too.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Honestly all that's written in the op regarding switch is really worrying, but we need to wait just few hours to get a better idea so it's not worth to give too much importance to these stats now, also i don't think that these stats cover the whole world of videogame developers, i bet that many japanese developers for example aren't there.

-Horizon-

Oh, this was polled during the lead up to gdc 2016? Well, I guess it'll only be a major problem if they did a newer poll and it was still the same percentage or something.

JoeM86

Nintendo's just tight. It's stupid, but that's how they are.

I always imagined that the Switch's third party support would be as an indie machine, much like the Vita ended up being, but probably to a greater degree. And the indie devs are the ones that would have the hardest time getting a Switch dev kit right now because Nintendo is tight about it.

I imagine once everything is out there, devkits will become easier to get

Shirow

Banned
I thought for a moment right now that the switch feels exactly just like the Vita. To me it's the best handheld ever but Sony sent it out there to die...

But then I realized freaking Pokemon is going to come out to this thing cuz it replaces the 3ds as well...

This might be my first Nintendo console in a while!

LordKano

If a racing car driver tells you the reason he lost a race is because he got drunk. Do you consider that fine and legitimate excuse. It's also a "fact". Sometimes the reasons for something happening are just that stupid and should be used to shield obvious failings.

If they aren't getting games developed because they aren't giving developers dev kits, that stupid and just as bad as devs not having interest. It takes years to make games, they should be getting as many dev kits out as early as possible. That was one key to the PS4's success.

I'm not saying it's good or bad. I'm saying that's a fact : they don't distribue devkits to anyone. That's why such numbers are meaningless.

I'm not holding any opinion whether it's a good thing or not.

Trace

Banned
Oh, this was polled during the lead up to gdc 2016? Well, I guess it'll only be a major problem if they did a newer poll and it was still the same percentage or something.

Lead up to GDC 2017.

Nintendo 3DS is at 1% and it's fine.
Wii was at what % at the same timeframe?
As usual American 3rd parties won't be there day 1. Depends on the first year.
Plus Japanese developers are more important for Nintendo.

Sorry but if "American 3rd parties" aren't there at launch they won't be there at any point. Which would be a deathblow for a new console. Also the 3DS is not "fine", it'll be dead within a year.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
not really.

Wii U in 2012

2500 x 0.046 = 115

Switch in 2016

4500 x 0.03 = 135

Polling as a science doesn't work on simply pure numbers. Though the methodology here, will be hardly representative but percentages and the error margins are what matter if your trying to extrapolate anything.

-Horizon-

Lead up to GDC 2017.

Sorry but if "American 3rd parties" aren't there at launch they won't be there at any point. Which would be a deathblow for a new console.

This is the part that's messing with me on the download page.

We polled more than 4,500 attendees of the Game Developers Conference to shed light on the industry leading up to GDC 2016 and VRDC@GDC in San Francisco.

Maybe that's a blurb that didn't get changed or something? idk

Its too early in the morning >.<

I'm not sure why people are surprised by this. The Switch is coming after the failure of the Wii U. "Wait and see" appears to be the safe bet right now, cautious optimism notwithstanding.

If the Switch launches successfully, it will do so primarily on the back of Nintendo's own software, with a smattering of strategic third-party offerings. If it takes, other devs will hop on board. If not, they won't.

GulAtiCa

They are tight with dev kits. This is a fact. They aren't letting anyone get them now, and will open them up in a couple of months.

I wanted to get an NS dev kit since I have a Wii U kit and I can't get one yet. There are lots of others who are in the same boat. Gotta wait for them to open it up for us to get them.

Yep same. I'm still here waiting. Very dumb. I just "hope" that I can at least start looking at Switch info int he Nintendo Dev portal soon.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This is the part that's messing with me on the download page.

Maybe that's a blurb that didn't get changed or something? idk

Yeah i'm confused. When exactly was this survey done.

Because the numbers on switch mean jack shit if this survey was taken back when it was still 'NX' and it was just a big pile of rumors.

Sorry but if "American 3rd parties" aren't there at launch they won't be there at any point. Which would be a deathblow for a new console. Also the 3DS is not "fine", it'll be dead within a year.

Tell that to the Wii.

Not saying this will be a repeat, but the Wii definitely had more third party support after it launched and became a success than it did when it was revealed.

SuomiDude

If you're going to make this type of claim you have to give a link.
Well the number of Switch developer compared to Wii U developers was basically a question I asked, but also made an assumption that the number 135 is probably more than what Wii U ever had (not based on any facts, just my assumption). But that was also an assumption that those 135 developers were actual studios, not individual people like that one user corrected me about. But even then there was this picture Nintendo showed us with tons of big developers, here's IGN link to it:
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki...s-1200x794.jpg/468px-NX_Partners-1200x794.jpg

Trace

Banned
Tell that to the Wii.

Not saying this will be a repeat, but the Wii definitely had more third party support after it launched and became a success than it did when it was revealed.

Of course, people will follow if a console is insanely popular like the Wii. Kinda like how mobile developers were limited to small operations until the market got big enough for big companies to move in. I'm just saying for your average user you need to have enough games day one to make the console worth it and build up market share.

AzaK

3% is pretty bad. Here's a line from their 2014 survey which includes 2013 PS4/XBO numbers.

"26 percent of developers surveyed said they're currently working on a PlayStation 4 game, up from 14 percent last year, while 22 percent said they're currently working on an Xbox One game, up from last year's 12 percent (note that games often are developed across multiple platforms)."

3% is atrocious although what is to be expected given Nintendo's history and stance on third parties.

Tell that to the Wii.

What sort of third party support? Sports, dancing and children's games outside of Activision that tried.

Nintendo needed to money hat ports, money hat ports, money hat ports.

I'll keep my expectations in check into tonight. But damn, that is a sledgehammer between the legs.

Seik

Banned
How many Japanese developpers were attending?

Because honestly, the meat is there to me, Western games that catches my interest are rarer than a shiny Pokemon.

not really.

Wii U in 2012

2500 x 0.046 = 115

Switch in 2016

4500 x 0.03 = 135

That is not how you are supposed to read percentages in this case. If they would have asked a hundred there would have been 3 people working on the switch. By increasing the amount of people you ask you get a better result but it does not mean more developers are working in games.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah i'm confused. When exactly was this survey done.

Because the numbers on switch mean jack shit if this survey was taken back when it was still 'NX' and it was just a big pile of rumors.

Probably before the 2016 GDC considering the 2017 GDC hasn't happened yet.

Edit: scratch that probably is a typo as it makes very little sense otherwise.

AzaK

Nintendo needed to money hat ports, money hat ports, money hat ports.

I'll keep my expectations in check into tonight. But damn, that is a sledgehammer between the legs.

They won't often moneyhat ports. They'd rather find people that want to work on their machine without Nintendo paying for it. This tends to mean Japanese and casual/Children's games.

Platy

Always found weird how indie devs hate nintendo platforms ... even after being proven and proven again that nintendo-like games sells MUCH more on nintendo platforms.

And by nintendo like I mean 2d platformers, zelda clones, 3d platformers .... those are what most indie devs are making

KooopaKid

Banned

Ubisoft will be there at least. The 3DS is 5 years old. Wii and 3DS were more than fine without string Western 3rd parties.

Always found weird how indie devs hate nintendo platforms ... even after being proven and proven again that nintendo-like games sells MUCH more on nintendo platforms.

And by nintendo like I mean 2d platformers, zelda clones, 3d platformers .... those are what most indie devs are making

Yes we saw that with Shovel Knight and soon with Yooka Laylee I think. It think the Switch version is going to outsell the PS4 version. Assuming the game is Rare quality.

AzaK

Why are they doing this?

Because they are idiots......Seriously though I would guess it's because those who are important enough already have them and it's just the pleb developers like us that are too risky regarding leaks.

Ubisoft will be there at least. The 3DS is 5 years old. Wii and 3DS were more than fine without string Western 3rd parties.

Wii was fine? It fell off a cliff once people realised that support wasn't there.

Hoo-doo

Banned

People wouldn't know what a 'switch' even was at that point. I doubt it.

Because they are idiots......Seriously though I would guess it's because those who are important enough already have them and it's just the pleb developers like us that are too risky regarding leaks.

Who the fuck cares about leaks when the device is on shelves in a month. They need all hands on deck.

Are they that insecure about negative news leaking out from these devkits? Can hardly believe it.

Trace

Banned

Quote from the OP for everyone missing the point.

Results from the fifth annual Game Developers Conference State of the Industry Survey are in, revealing trends in the games industry based on the feedback of more than 4,500 game developers ahead of GDC 2017 in February and March.

They won't often moneyhat ports. They'd rather find people that want to work on their machine without Nintendo paying for it. This tends to mean Japanese and casual/Children's games.

I know. But dang, it could mean that they still haven't learned! J/C how many times does this have to happen before they learn?

This is starting to look grim. No media apps, not much third party.

Top Bottom