• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox Artist trashes Dragon’s Crown art style

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'd be inclined to just let it go - it's a throwaway comment in a forum and I don't think her status as an artist at a prominent studio makes her opinion any more important to the overall conversation.

That said, after reading one of her followup comments and seeing her profile photo on her site, I did have to chuckle:

But it's not even the boobs and ass itself that creeps me out with this kind of stuff, it's those awkward painful-looking sexy poses combined with identical faces that are completely devoid of features, expression, or personality. It's super creepy and makes it pretty clear that the focus is meant to be their sexual features and not the characters themselves, and to me that's an artistic cop-out and boring.

http://shaylynhamm.com/118244/about-me

awkward sexy pose? Check.
identical face devoid of features, personality, etc.? Check
focus on sexual features and not character? Check and Check

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Lol @ that person's comment. Fucking lol @ the salty people thrashing Gearbox because some random person who happens to work for them said that.

Bah. This is hardly newsworthy.

A bush-league, unprofessional comment (what she said wasn't even remotely a 'critique'), sure, but the exposure is a little out of hand.

Daingurse

dragons-crown-sorceress-art-00.jpg

Meh reminds me of Gauntlet Legends. Who cares if she's thick or disproportional, it's a game with an unrealistic art style. People have the right to critique it sure, just not sure why people are so up in arms defending the game. Game doesn't need to be defended or justified, it just needs to stand on it's own merits.

Jarmel

Banned
Meh reminds me of Gauntlet Legends. Who cares if she's thick or disproportional, it's a game with an unrealistic art style. People have the right to critique it sure, just not sure why people are so up in arms defending the game. Game doesn't need to be defended or justified, it just needs to stand on it's own merits.

I'm not sure why people are getting so defensive either.

LiK

"Fucking lol" was pretty much my response when I saw Dragon Crown art for the first time, so I can't really blame her.

I get that shamelessly sexualized lolis are par for the course in Japan, but that doesn't make it any less embarassing.

She's not a loli.

SmokyDave

I was referring to the post that accused Ms. Hamm of trying to censor another artist just by expressing a negative opinion about their work.

I think it's because this style of criticism usually comes with an air of 'we need to see less of this'. If you think this sort of thing keeps women out games and you want to see more women in games, it stands to reason that you'd want to see less of this sort of art. Otherwise, what do you want? Just to moan and for nothing to change?

prwxv3

"Fucking lol" was pretty much my response when I saw Dragon Crown art for the first time, so I can't really blame her.

I get that shamelessly sexualized lolis are par for the course in Japan, but that doesn't make it any less embarassing.

Here we go again.

sublimit

Banned
The problem is the in-human proportions. They are oversexualized to the point of being grotesque. The Wizard/Sorcerer choice of clothes is pretty neutral and boring.

What's wrong with in-human proportions?And why no one seems to have a problem with male in-human proportions?
Also what if a character like her actually existed?Should we have locked her in a room with no windows in order to protect our society from her big boobs and her big ass?

-PXG-

I can't wait for Dragons Crown to sell more than initially expected and for Kamitani's inevitable pay increase.

Yopis

I'd be inclined to just let it go - it's a throwaway comment in a forum and I don't think her status as an artist at a prominent studio makes her opinion any more important to the overall conversation.

That said, after reading one of her followup comments and seeing her profile photo on her site, I did have to chuckle:

http://shaylynhamm.com/118244/about-me

awkward sexy pose? Check.
identical face devoid of features, personality, etc.? Check
focus on sexual features and not character? Check and Check

Her pose in that pic is offensive!!

Pyrrhus

I'm guessing. The problem with Dragon's Crown is not the outfits, is the ridiculous proportions of the sorcerer.

Moxxi's boobs are pretty big for a more realistic style. Huge-ish, actually. Plus, if you put enough money in her tip jar, she'll do a little half-hearted stripper dance for you. Not to mention pretty much everything she says to you is a sexual innuendo. I think people are being very selective about their targets in this rush of righteous indignation.

LiK

I did find it hilarious that in Kamitani's letter to Schreier, he thanked him for the coverage.

Funny thing is more guys found out about it from it and are interested in the game now. Kinda similar to those people who protest a movie for some content and end up giving it more publicity.

Daingurse

I can't wait for Dragons Crown to sell more than initially expected and for Kamitani's inevitable pay increase.

This has certainly increased awareness of the title for me. It looks like a nice game almost in the vein of a side scrolling Gauntlet Legends. I might double dip as I own a Vita, sheeeit. I am going to go beast mode with that Dwarf.

dragons_crown_dwarf_header.jpg

Burt

I just... can't understand the people who leap to the defense of the art in this game at all. It's like they don't even have any perspective on what they're defending. If you think their portrayal of an obese woman disqualifies anyone at Gearbox from making a comment and Tiny Tina and the Siren with some cleavage showing are the same as the sorceress with her proportions, clothing, enhanced physics chest, and her staff shoved between her ass cheeks... there's really nothing to be said here that wouldn't be a complete waste of time.

entremet

Why is it that whenever somebody says 'I think the depiction of this is bad', people always equate it with censorship?

I think brostep is cruddy awful music; I don't think it should be banned or that nobody should make it.

He's basically saying we should see less of it.

kuroshiki

Fuck this. I'm ordering 2 copies just to increase the sale of the game and middle finger to whoever raise an issue about this.

I'm speaking with my wallet.

Atomski

Im behind on things.. not sure why this game is such a popular topic all a sudden. I remember seeing the art months ago and thinking it looked awful. Whats the big deal??

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Gearbox talking about art design, lmao.

No, is not Gearbox, is one person.

If I got hired as a community manager for Microsoft and said Apple sucks on a message board, does that mean that Microsoft said Apple sucks? No. If there was a PR with the Gearbox logo at the top, then it would be an official statement from the company. This isn't.

People are lol fucking ridiculous.

nbthedude

So what I can gather from is thread, people think juvenile language is worse than juvenile depictions of women.

I am not taking a stand on this, I just think it is is nteresting how many more people are upset by the comments than are disturb by the art.

No, is not Gearbox, is one person.

If I got hired as a community manager for Microsoft and said Apple sucks on a message board, does that mean that Microsoft said Apple sucks? No. If there was a PR with the Gearbox logo at the top, then it would be an official statement from the company. This isn't.

People are lol fucking ridiculous.

You wouldn't have that job for very long.

So what I can gather from is thread, people think juvenile language is worse than juvenile depictions of women.

I am not taking a stand on this, I just think it is is nteresting how many more people are upset by the comments than are disturb by the art.

Probably because not everyone views those designs as being juvenile.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I just... can't understand the people who leap to the defense of the art in this game at all. It's like they don't even have any perspective on what they're defending. If you think their portrayal of an obese woman disqualifies anyone at Gearbox from making a comment and Tiny Tina and the Siren with some cleavage showing are the same as the sorceress with her proportions, clothing, enhanced physics chest, and her staff shoved between her ass cheeks... there's really nothing to be said here that wouldn't be a complete waste of time.
You're broad brushing everyone's ability to distinguish between levels of sexualization when you can't even distinguish between people who are defending the artist's right to express vs. the art itself.

sublimit

Banned
How do you define bad? People here are clearly stating that it's bad. People also complain about crap in Resident Evil 5 with Chris.

I meant bad on a technical level as in "badly drawn".
Kamitani's figures (although exaggerated) still have balance and rhythm.You can feel that there are muscles and bones underneath them unlike Liefeld's figures that feel as alive as a refrigerator.

Chris is a different subject.

Jawmuncher

All this hoopla over the art has done nothing but make me decide to grab this day one rather than later to show my support.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I meant bad on a technical level as in "badly drawn".
Kamitani's figures (although exaggerated) still have balance and rhythm.You can feel that there are muscles and bones underneath them unlike Liefeld's figures that feel as alive as a refrigerator.

Chris is a different subject.

Wut? Liefeld's shitty Capitan America chest looks as bad as the arms of that dwarf and the legs of the amazon.

NotLiquid

I think this is the most publicity Dragon's Crown has ever gotten. I barely ever heard of the game after it's initial reveal and now I can't stop hearing about it.

Any publicity is good publicity.

Also fucking lol at Gearbox artist criticizing designs.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
All this hoopla over the art has done nothing but make me decide to grab this day one rather than later to show my support.

Same here. I was on the fence before but all this nonsense has convinced me to go ahead and get it as my way of saying 'fuck you' to all the critics out there.

I'm trying to remember but did Ivy from Soul Calibur get the same amount of shit when she was revealed in the SC series way back? Because if not, "fucking lol".

Top Bottom